The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When to buy your first exotic car?

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
An exotic car is supposed to be a "by-product/extension" of you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Congratulations!

Is Porsche still a brand selling mostly luxury cars? I think that Porsche is rather a brand that tries to sell their cars to the simpler people as well today as I have seen some older Porsches for 25k€ and even less where I live. I have never seen a low-cost Lambo or Rolls Royce though.
Was the 25k Porsche you saw a 944 or a 996? The 944 is pretty old, and almost everyone hates on the 996, so it's generally lower cost.

D

Deleted85763

We have neighbors here, which didn’t greet me at all. One day I got an old Porsche from an auction. From that very day they were friendly as hell. I know, what I have to hold of ppl.
I will add that the luxury car I once owned was an older model with significant miles (but looked great) and was less expensive then the typical budget car at the time. This is common in the luxury market. But almost everyone else that didn't know me thought I was rich. In fact the things people told others about me who then told me were things like "Oh, he must be able to afford a stable of those kinds of cars" or "He's got butlers to do his shopping". Little did they know.

I also once had a guy in a store parking lot say out of loud to his friends so I could hear it "I wish I had a rich father!". I yelled back "This is my car and I bought it. You can be rich, too!" The guy says "No way!". I then reached in the back seat and picked up a book I was selling at the time. waved it at them and said "Oh, yea. sell these books and you can get rich!". The guy and friends were then looking at me like I was nuts. That they got right. I was bit off then. All becuase of a car! Good grief!
An exotic car is supposed to be a "by-product/extension" of you
Recently I was with someone and a young man drove by in a shiny Lamborghini. The person says to me "That man must be very educated." I didn't say anything but I was thinking "You don't know at all what his story is. He could of borrowed it from his rich uncle or maybe he's renting it or whatever."

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I also once had a guy in a store parking lot say out of loud to his friends so I could hear it "I wish I had a rich father!". I yelled back "This is my car and I bought it."

Recently I was with someone and a young man drove by in a shiny Lamborghini. The person says to me "That man must be very educated." I didn't say anything but I was thinking "You don't know at all what his story is. He could of borrowed it from his rich uncle or maybe he's renting it or whatever."
You have no clue that you have the same mindset as the "guy in a store parking lot" LOL

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I then reached in the back seat and picked up a book I was selling at the time. waved it at them and said "Oh, yea. sell these books and you can get rich!".

What kind of book were you selling, your own or like bibles or encyclopedias?

D

Deleted85763

You have no clue that you have the same mindset as the "guy in a store parking lot" LOL
My mindset was actually totally the opposite. The guy in the parking lot most likely is still leading his hum drum life. I on the other hand actually succeded and proved him and lots of "smart" people wrong. Very wrong.

D

Deleted85763

What kind of book were you selling, your own or like bibles or encyclopedias?
It was a nonsense self-help book. I was very young and inexperienced then and believed that because the author told a good story and did have some success in sales that the book must be true. It wasn't. I learned.

DoingDeals

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 13, 2021
Someone hasn't read The Millionaire Fastlane & it's showing. Affordability is when you don't have to think about it.

Last edited:

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
sometimes I have gotten gasps from people, mostly older women, with the sentiment "Our community is starting to become a ghetto!"

In fact the things people told others about me who then told me were things like "Oh, he must be able to afford a stable of those kinds of cars" or "He's got butlers to do his shopping".

I also once had a guy in a store parking lot say out of loud to his friends so I could hear it "I wish I had a rich father!".
Do these conversation actually happen to you? Do you live in the rudest community on earth? I can't think of a single circumstance in my life where someone has exclaimed such a thing out loud to me.

D

Deleted85763

Do these conversation actually happen to you? Do you live in the rudest community on earth? I can't think of a single circumstance in my life where someone has exclaimed such a thing out loud to me.
That actually happened to me. I was ready to pull out of a parking space in a parking lot and this guy was standing nearby with a few friends and said "I wish I had a rich father" loud enough, intentionally so I would hear it. At least he wasn't trying to be my friend because of the car, like others did. Truth is starnger than fiction.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My mindset was actually totally the opposite. The guy in the parking lot most likely is still leading his hum drum life. I on the other hand actually succeded and proved him and lots of "smart" people wrong. Very wrong.

You don’t get it.

Someone saw you in a nice car and assumed that you’re rich father bought it for you.

When your friend mentioned somebody who had a nice car must be smart, the first two things you were thinking were that maybe he borrowed it from a relative or is renting it.

Tell me how that is different from the other person thinking you’re rich father bought the car for you?

How come your first thought wasn’t yes he probably is smart and probably worked hard and bought that car for himself?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I just wanted to chime in and say that there are all sorts of wealthy people with all sorts of different ideas and takes. Some of them would finance flashy stuff immediately and others would drive rusty pickup trucks no matter how rich they are. It’s really all up to your personal preferences, if you truly have the means.

The worst mistake to make is thinking that just because someone can do something, they automatically should or will do it.

There are plenty of reasons not to buy a super car even if you’re a billionaire. Everyone has a different perspective.

D

Deleted85763

You don’t get it.

Someone saw you in a nice car and assumed that you’re rich father bought it for you.

When your friend mentioned somebody who had a nice car must be smart, the first two things you were thinking were that maybe he borrowed it from a relative or is renting it.

Tell me how that is different from the other person thinking you’re rich father bought the car for you?

How come your first thought wasn’t yes he probably is smart and probably worked hard and bought that car for himself?
I thought you meant I have the same mindset as the guy in regards to the possibility of becoming rich. As I posted above, when I told the guy that he could get rich his answer was that it was not possible. His answer was very genuine and I totally understand why he and many other people have that mindset. It's not that apparent.

Now, the fact that we both jumped to conclusions about car ownership, that was the same but that doesn't matter much because that can't improve your life. What can improve your life is knowing that one can become rich or at least be totally self-sufficient in their own business.

Wouter

What do you want to be when you give up?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 6, 2019
Netherlands
''Expensive stuff means more when we’re poor.

And so we work to buy more.

But as we make more, the expensive stuff becomes cheaper and common.

So in an attempt to get more, we remove what made it magical to begin with—scarcity & relative cost.

Enjoy stuff while it’s special, because it wont last.''

- Alex Hormozi

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I love fast and exotic cars. Exotic cars mostly have a better driving performance than other cars. So buy an exotic supercar as soon as you can afford it. And don’t drive it into town. Wherer people see it, but anywhere, where are great roads. Because driving them is moch more fun than being seen in them.
Btw. Get cars in bad visual shape. The worse they look, the more driving fun you have!
dont buy them as a status symbol. You ll have much more fun having them as drive machines!
That's actually true. Can't imagine how it is to drive an Aventador SV just for fun. You have to be an idiot to buy a car like that and expect it to be comfortable. That glorious V12!

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Congratulations!

Is Porsche still a brand selling mostly luxury cars? I think that Porsche is rather a brand that tries to sell their cars to the simpler people as well today as I have seen some older Porsches for 25k€ and even less where I live. I have never seen a low-cost Lambo or Rolls Royce though.
Porsche's hold their value very well, especially the 911s.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I just wanted to chime in and say that there are all sorts of wealthy people with all sorts of different ideas and takes. Some of them would finance flashy stuff immediately and others would drive rusty pickup trucks no matter how rich they are. It’s really all up to your personal preferences, if you truly have the means.

The worst mistake to make is thinking that just because someone can do something, they automatically should or will do it.

There are plenty of reasons not to buy a super car even if you’re a billionaire. Everyone has a different perspective.
In my experience, most very wealthy individuals will drive something nicer. Especially around Poland/Germany, not so much here in Norway. Most people who are sort of rich here or you'd call them the slowlane millionaires since most of them are 55-60+ years old and they drive their Teslas, Audis, Mercedeses or BMWs.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Their price has increased from $500k to about $800k-$950k as of now. Some of these are great investments. Just like the Ferrari F12 tdf. When it got released back in 2013-2014 I believe, it's sticker price was 300,000€ . Now they sell well over 1 million €. Although you have to be in the Ferrari club to get your chance at pre-ordering one.

You can actually make money flipping supercars/hypercars. There's this guy in my city who's super wealthy and he flips classic cars for fun. He drives them for a couple of years and then sells them at a good profit, he sold his Aston Martin DB5 not so long ago. And now, he just bought a new Ferrari Monza SP2.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Hey guys,

interested in hearing your opinion, particularly from guys who own or have owned exotic cars in the past.

What is a good rule of thumb when buying your first super car? Should you lease, finance or just pay in cash? Obviously MJ and some other guys who I follow say that you should only buy an exotic car if you can actually afford it. There's a lot of conflict with "affordability" from these guys. One said, if you can buy 10 of them in cash, then you can afford one. While another said that 20-25% of your cash flow should go into your fun fund and if the price fits within that percentage, then go for it.

I think it makes a lot more sense to lease a regular car, like a brand new Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Audi as these drop in value a lot when driving and getting some miles on them. Especially the new R8, so it would make more sense to lease a brand new one. Or just buy a used model from 2015-2019 that's got a high mileage because they've already lost a lot of value afterwards.

Ferraris and Lamborghinis on the other hand, hold their values extremely well. McLarens not so much, but they're still awesome cars. Some Porsches do it too, like the 911 Turbo or GT3. For context, I'm looking for either the Lamborghini Huracan or the Audi R8 V10(post 2015 models).

Or should you make so much money that the price becomes irrelevant?
I have been thinking about this alot latley since Im a petrolhead. Got a Porsche Panamera and am already thinking of getting an i8.
I have come to the conclusion that if you ask when or if you can afford it, you cant.
I think when you get to the point where you can pick up a car like you pick up groceries. You can afford it.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I have been thinking about this alot latley since Im a petrolhead. Got a Porsche Panamera and am already thinking of getting an i8.
I have come to the conclusion that if you ask when or if you can afford it, you cant.
I think when you get to the point where you can pick up a car like you pick up groceries. You can afford it.
Agree. Would you say that if you can buy ten models of the same car in cash, would you say you can afford it then? So if a Huracan costs $200,000-$250,000 then your income needs to be around $2.5 million each year? I think that's probably a good rule of thumb.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Agree. Would you say that if you can buy ten models of the same car in cash, would you say you can afford it then? So if a Huracan costs $200,000-$250,000 then your income needs to be around $2.5 million each year? I think that's probably a good rule of thumb.
I think that should probably be a good rule of thumb.
I mean, if you can afford 10, would yoy question yourself if you bought one?
Even if you can afford 3 maybe. By that point you have your house, travels etc so you wouldnt really question yourself.
If you question yourself, there are probably something more important to put the money in. If not, go for it. We work to get our toys.

Like for me. I just knew I could get the Panamera. I new I could afford it but I didnt number crunch it. If I did. Its probably 10% of this years cashflow and when I bought it, probably 20%

Edit: Been thinking abit more. I feel safe to buy one at 20% cashflow so if I where to give a number. It would probably it. But then again, When Im up at that level of money, everything I wanted is already payd for so I dont know at that level

Last edited:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I think that should probably be a good rule of thumb.
I mean, if you can afford 10, would yoy question yourself if you bought one?
Even if you can afford 3 maybe. By that point you have your house, travels etc so you wouldnt really question yourself.
If you question yourself, there are probably something more important to put the money in. If not, go for it. We work to get our toys.

Like for me. I just knew I could get the Panamera. I new I could afford it but I didnt number crunch it. If I did. Its probably 10% of this years cashflow and when I bought it, probably 20%

Edit: Been thinking abit more. I feel safe to buy one at 20% cashflow so if I where to give a number. It would probably it. But then again, When Im up at that level of money, everything I wanted is already payd for so I dont know at that level
Yeah man, you could afford it at that point. There was a video of Shaq talking about the advice he got from Beezos about investments. He said that 50% of your total income should go towards your business, 25% into your savings(or bank account) and the last 25% should be your fun fund(cars, boats, travel, houses, entertainment etc.).If you don't mind, which Panamera version did you buy? GTS or Turbo? Are you happy with it?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Yeah man, you could afford it at that point. There was a video of Shaq talking about the advice he got from Beezos about investments. He said that 50% of your total income should go towards your business, 25% into your savings(or bank account) and the last 25% should be your fun fund(cars, boats, travel, houses, entertainment etc.).If you don't mind, which Panamera version did you buy? GTS or Turbo? Are you happy with it?
Seems like a good advice. We need a fun fun because thats why we do all this.
Its like a customer we have at my clinic who owns 3 Ferraris. He says alot of people dont spend on themself. They just save and inveat in thwir business. You nees to have fun aswell.

I bought a 4S. However, I dont have my drivers licence yet so I cant tell if Im happy with it or not. Will do my final test on friday and if I pass I will pick it up and drive it home :)

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Seems like a good advice. We need a fun fun because thats why we do all this.
Its like a customer we have at my clinic who owns 3 Ferraris. He says alot of people dont spend on themself. They just save and inveat in thwir business. You nees to have fun aswell.

I bought a 4S. However, I dont have my drivers licence yet so I cant tell if Im happy with it or not. Will do my final test on friday and if I pass I will pick it up and drive it home :)
Haha nice, good luck man.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Panamera is great for us big guys.
I8 is imo nonsense. 3zyl emergency generator, 2 e- motors and a sound generator suggesting a V8. And so uncomfortable and small. No.
Sometimes I borrow such cars and make a test round. I have a round with curvy roads and than a highspeed part. High speed of a car allways interests me at that moment. (And 310 km/h legal!) But when the round is over, I never yearn back to that.
So when I had the money I would not buy a supercar because I can afford it.

And an I8 video for you

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
I8 is imo nonsense. 3zyl emergency generator, 2 e- motors and a sound generator suggesting a V8. And so uncomfortable and small. No.
Sometimes I borrow such cars and make a test round. I have a round with curvy roads and than a highspeed part. High speed of a car allways interests me at that moment. (And 310 km/h legal!) But when the round is over, I never yearn back to that.

And an I8 video for you
Haha nice video.
Yes the i8 is a silly car but its something that checks alot of moxes for me.

High depreciation so you can pick up a 2016 model with a 70% discount

Funny doors

Hybrid so avoid taxes.

I have never been in one though. I dont even have a drivers licence yet.

Other cars that have my interest is:
Maseratti Quatroporte
Bently Flying Spur
Ferrari Roma
Aston Martin Rapide

But will have 1-2 years of fun wih the Panamera. Will probably stick with it since Im going to be a father in 8 month, am 6'1 and need something practical.
Or I give it to my wife and get one of the cars above. However, need to invest in better things first.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

And an I8 video for you

Is this you who's struggling to get out?

Honorable mention: Audi R8 is also a good one, especially the newer models(2015+). They got lots of space inside, even for us taller dudes. And can actually be driven daily. It's sort of like the new 911, the 911 is more comfortable but at the same time, it's hard to beat the sound of that V10. Take it to the autobahn and you'll be flying!

However, the 992 911 Turbo S is a different animal when it comes to speed.

robjohn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jan 31, 2017
USA
I believe that having Panamera or some other Porsche is a great way to get sort of adrenaline injection in a short period of time. But these cars are impractical and expensive to maintain.
True if you take it to a shop. And yes, Porsche parts will be more expensive that other car brands. But if you know how to work on the car yourself and do basic maintenance (which isn't rocket science), the cost is incredibly reduced. Plus, porsches are extremely reliable if driven regularly. Its actually the oppposite. The less you drive them, the more problems they could give you.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
True if you take it to a shop. And yes, Porsche parts will be more expensive that other car brands. But if you know how to work on the car yourself and do basic maintenance (which isn't rocket science), the cost is incredibly reduced. Plus, porsches are extremely reliable if driven regularly. Its actually the oppposite. The less you drive them, the more problems they could give you.
Someone who can actually afford a brand new Porsche is not going to think about these things too much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.