The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buy a SAAS licence and become a CEO in one day!

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Hello everyone!

I built a lot of SAAS (Software as a service), sometimes it works, sometimes not. Create a software can be hard technically and can take all of your energy, that is why I always test the market before creating my final product. Testing your product/services as to be quick as possible, you don't want to waste your time on a bad idea right?

Last Sunday, I was on envato market (for the guys who don't know, it is a huge marketplace when you can buy some HTML templates, wordpress themes, ... ) and I saw many softwares for sale. A lot of them are made so that you can have client and earn money just after buying it (paypal integration, stripe). Anybody can wake up a Sunday morning and with some basic skills be an owner of a SAAS the same evening! Amazing!

Hold on! It is not easy as it seems! As Mister @MJ DeMarco said you need to have full CONTROL of your business and the ENTRY had to be difficult to make a profitable business. But what if you use this SAAS Licence to test your market and earn your first dollars?

Do not have CONTROL? If you're good enough at coding you can understand well the code and manage it.
You break the ENTRY point? The product is one thing, the brand that you personally built, the way you do marketing and communicate are many ways to make the barrier to entry difficult.

I think that SAAS licence is a good way to test your market (like an MVP), you can build a better product on your own after. What do you think?

Are the men who sell the softwares the winners? I saw many who do not make a lot of profit, I mean that they can make a better profit by using their SAAS instead of selling it. Perhaps, these people are just good at creating products and not on the business aspect so they decided to sell it (easy way).

I just want to know what do you think about this way to do business? Did someone experienced it?
Buying a software that everybody can buy could be profitable?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I've seen things like this in a lot of different forms over the years.

When I got started it was premade affiliate websites that you would buy for $300 and they were "guaranteed to make you $100 a month"

I've also seen this recently over the past few years with premade shopify stores. People will make you a "ready to go e commerce store" with products already added to the store. All you gotta do is advertise them and youll be rolling in the dough! (sarcasm)

If something seems too good to be true then it probably is. And most of these "business in a box" deals are just to sucker naive people into giving them their money.

Also you have to ask, if people were actually able to create these successful businesses on demand, then why wouldnt they just keep them to them selves and make a ton of money? Why would they sell their softwares if they could be making a ton off of them.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
There's a way to participate and win in any industry. This is no different. You can win making the software and selling it on the marketplace. You can win buying the software and selling it to a broader audience somewhere else.

You don't know, so jump in with few expectations and learn from mistakes quickly. You may find a multi-million dollar opportunity by doing it in a creative way.

I would take some generic software, create a brand around it, and try a few different tactics to see if it gains any traction. For example, partnering with social media influencers to advertise to their audience and we share profits on the software. Or contacting relevant business owners using ringless voicemails to try and sign them up for our software that helps their business.

Lots of opportunities.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
@James Klymus

I think you're misunderstanding the intent here.
Many of the things the OP has mentioned are things intended to let you test a market without reinventing any wheels.

For instance, if I have what I imagine is a new angle or niche for an existing business model. I could either build it from scratch or test the market with an existing tool.

So if it was a forum of some sort, it would make more sense to start off with a XenForo, SMF etc installation. No need to dive in all the way coding a new reddit from scratch (with all the technical and financial goodies that comes with that).

It's different from buying a "Turnkey adsense site preloaded with auto article aggregator - set, forget and earn" website.

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
I've seen things like this in a lot of different forms over the years.

When I got started it was premade affiliate websites that you would buy for $300 and they were "guaranteed to make you $100 a month"

I've also seen this recently over the past few years with premade shopify stores. People will make you a "ready to go e commerce store" with products already added to the store. All you gotta do is advertise them and youll be rolling in the dough! (sarcasm)

If something seems too good to be true then it probably is. And most of these "business in a box" deals are just to sucker naive people into giving them their money.

Also you have to ask, if people were actually able to create these successful businesses on demand, then why wouldnt they just keep them to them selves and make a ton of money? Why would they sell their softwares if they could be making a ton off of them.

Yeah I'm pretty agree with you about all the mainstream "business in a box" sold by many gurus, but here I'm more talking about some niche software/tool that you can use to test the market or as a base of your product/service. It's like paying a freelance to make a product, you gain a lot of time! The sooner you are on the market, the sooner you'll understand it!

Look at this situation: You are interested to make a product, this product can be done in 3 months. You find a man who sold is software for $300, this software can handle the basic service that you want to provide in your product and that can be online in 2 days. Why you would loseyour time? The product will be similar to others in the beginning, but what is stopping you to improve it after?

I've a friend who bought a software white label, it didn’t create it at all but he makes some good money! As @Johnny boy said with some creativity you can find good opportunities. Translate an English software in Russian market for example ;)

@James Klymus I don't think that the men who sell these softwares are always more successful by selling it than keeping it for their business. Having a good idea, a good product does not guarantee you success, you have to be the one who understand well the idea, the one who feels the market and this person can be a reseller.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Which ones?

The one in your original post.

Entry = anyone can buy the licence and compete with you.

Control = what if the licence holder changes the terms and says from next month you need to give 20% of revenues in order to keep using his licence ?

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
The one in your original post.

Entry = anyone can buy the licence and compete with you.

Control = what if the licence holder changes the terms and says from next month you need to give 20% of revenues in order to keep using his licence ?

For Entry, as I said, you can improve the product in the future (personalise it), I'm speaking just if your licence can let you do what you want. The product is not all, you can also stand out by having a good marketing, etc.
And you do not have to be the only one in the market to make money by the way. The thousandth company of soap made more than 100 millions last years.

For Control, I agree with you for this kind of licence, but If you are free to do what you want, you just buy some code, nobody can impose you something. I can understand the code of others and make it better so for me I have control in this way.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
For Entry, as I said, you can improve the product in the future (personalise it), I'm speaking just if your licence can let you do what you want. The product is not all, you can also stand out by having a good marketing, etc.
And you do not have to be the only one in the market to make money by the way. The thousandth company of soap made more than 100 millions last years.

For Control, I agree with you for this kind of licence, but If you are free to do what you want, you just buy some code, nobody can impose you something. I can understand the code of others and make it better so for me I have control in this way.

That's true, you could build an awesome brand, provide excellent customer service, have a top tier funnel and user experience and keep the competition out because of that.

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
Eliminating the competition with excellent marketing doesn't mean the entry barrier is high. If anyone can buy these softwares, it means the entry barrier can be low, but it depends if the software is easy to set in place, or if you have to code to adjust it, depends also if anyone can buy it or if you have exclusivity...
Plus we know that some great business opportunities don't validate perfectly every CENTS line.
Actually, thank you OP for this, there might me some gold nuggets there, if you find something interesting and use it with a new / different angle.

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
You know what guys?

Talking is good, but I prefer to take actions. I'm gonna experience this shit in few markets.

The goal: Make at least $50 000/month after one year.

I will do some posts to that you can follow my situation.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Am I missing something here? Codecanyon/themeforest and their other sites sell software, plugins, themes, etc.. for end users. I've never seen them sell anything with resale rights where you can sell it to other people

phughes1980

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 16, 2019
Interesting what software did you buy? Was it a plugin? I've toyed with WP plugins for a while. Would be good to "fast track" by skipping the development process

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Am I missing something here? Codecanyon/themeforest and their other sites sell software, plugins, themes, etc.. for end users. I've never seen them sell anything with resale rights where you can sell it to other people

Some resellers doing it.

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Interesting what software did you buy? Was it a plugin? I've toyed with WP plugins for a while. Would be good to "fast track" by skipping the development process

I cannot tell you right now. It is not a WP plugin, they are SAAS ready only, but of course you can buy a plugin, a tool and convert it into a business.

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Alright! I'm back after 4 months of work and 100k richer.

First, you have to know that I LIED to you 4 months ago when I have decided to experiment this kind of business. I had already started 6 months before (but I needed to know if I was really crazy). :clench:

So, here is my situation :

10 months ago I invested 450$ in a white label software, now I make around 20k per month (and I had time to took 3 weeks of vacation on an exotic island, you know this kind of island that you only see on TV).

Waouuhh?? Is it really the SOLUTION to make money?????? :eek::eek::eek:
Huuum, yes and no.

So how the hell I was able to do that?

Firstly, you need to know that 10 months ago success was not an option for me, I decided to leave my school so I definitely needed some money to live. When you have no choice, it's like having a superpower. It really helped me to work harder. So I disciplined myself to be more productive and accomplish more tasks.

I didn't chose the first product that I saw online, no. I chose a product in relation to a business that I had launched 1 month earlier. My business really needed an update. So, I preferred to chose to buy a product that hundreds of people already bought and currently using to make money too than waste my time to build a product that nobody want. I took conscious that a good part of the people who also bought this software are noobs, dreamers or other shits adjectives that describe a fake entrepreneur.
The first week when I bought the software I also realized that the product need to be improved, but I did not change anything until I had my first client because I needed that my customer confirm the need of the new features!

At this moment I decided to focus a lot on having my first users and to provide the best customer service ever. I was talking to everyone (day and night)! And I did this for more than 4 months thoroughly!
It was hard, but it helped me to improve the product and add my personal touch.

I was doing around 1000/month at the end of this period.

Now that I was convinced of the value of the product I decide to scale.

But how to scale with a product that had the same base of other products on the market?

Easy. Just choose another market with another language!

I decided to focus on 1 language and forgot about English market. But it was not enough, even in my small niche there was some people (3 to be exact) who sold this product too.
They were not really big, but definitely bigger than me...

So, I had no choice. Being better than them and kill them!

I launched an affiliate program and begun to have some notoriety (and more traffic). I decided to close some deals with the best blog, forum, on google (and youtube)! These deals literally propulse my business to another level (5k/month).

Hum 5k is good, but my competitors are still better than me and I had no control on the distribution...

Now that I make a little bit of money, I decided to delegate the customer service to be able to work more on the acquisition and process! But wait!! I did not let some bad Indian manage my customer service, I had conscious that my customer service is really liked by my customers and it really made the difference. My competitors do not have a good customer service! So, I choose to take someone for 1 month and train him to be excellent! Now I pay him well and I'm free to focus on other tasks.

Traffic Acquisition (and process)... :praise:

What a world that I discovered!!! You can innovate on the product, but you have no ideas on how many possibilities you can have to innovate your traffic acquisition. I did not know that... So, I discovered SEO, email marketing, engineering as marketing, fb ads etc.

Anyway, I tested many ways to gain users on my website...

Mannnnnn I learned a lot!!! That is amazing how many process we can create online. I specially saw that email is REALLY powerful!

I also tried to buy some ads on facebook and google, but I literally wasted my money. SEO and email were really two ways which fit well with my perspective. It is free and powerful if you work hard!

With a lot of obstinacy, I obtained 5 figures (per month) few months after.

ANYWAY! :clap:: I don't want to explain each detail of the 10 months, it will be too long and I also need to work ^^

To resume: It was not easy and it is highly possible that create your product yourself will be more profitable! But I think that the choice depends on your situation. You never launched a business before? That is definitely a good idea to copy or buy some shortcut like that! Why? It will teach you on how to do business. Believe me, I learned more the last year of life than my WHOLE life (marketing, sale, acquisition, product, business relation, ...). If you have a big ambition, but you are currently at the beginning, this is your school, no matter you make money or not! And you need this practice to be who you want to be!

You have already succeeded in business and you want to launch this kind of business? It'll be preferable to launch your own products, because it is very rare to make more than 7 figures with my technique.
BUT!! There is a BUT. If you want to diversify and use your skill to duplicate a business it could work!
And it is exactly what I do right now! I created a private equity and launched others services like that, mainly SAAS but also digital products.

My goal: duplicate my expertise in other markets and have 10 products/services that brings me at least 10k per month. Why? Because if I loose one business I DON'T F*ckING CARE, I have 9 others!!! I want to have CONTROL and I will have with my private equity.

What next? After this little game, I will have enough money to invest in the development of MY PRODUCT without the help of business angel. I will be self-sufficient, money will be not a problem, so I could focus more on how I can bring value to the world (and also how to become a billionaire :somber:, because making money it's really funny haha)

Last edited:

SolopreneurGrind

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 26, 2019

First, you have to know that I LIED to you 4 months ago when I have decided to experiment this kind of business. I had already started 6 months before (but I needed to know if I was really crazy). :clench:

10 months ago I invested 450$ in a white label software, now I make around 20k per month (and I had time to took 3 weeks of vacation on an exotic island, you know this kind of island that you only see on TV).

Huuum, yes and no.

Firstly, you need to know that 10 months ago success was not an option for me, I decided to leave my school so I definitely needed some money to live. When you have no choice, it's like having a superpower. It really helped me to work harder. So I disciplined myself to be more productive and accomplish more tasks.

I didn't chose the first product that I saw online, no. I chose a product in relation to a business that I had launched 1 month earlier. My business really needed an update. So, I preferred to chose to buy a product that hundreds of people already bought and currently using to make money too than waste my time to build a product that nobody want. I took conscious that a good part of the people who also bought this software are noobs, dreamers or other shits adjectives that describe a fake entrepreneur.
The first week when I bought the software I also realized that the product need to be improved, but I did not change anything until I had my first client because I needed that my customer confirm the need of the new features!

At this moment I decided to focus a lot on having my first users and to provide the best customer service ever. I was talking to everyone (day and night)! And I did this for more than 4 months thoroughly!

But how to scale with a product that had the same base of other products on the market?

I decided to focus on 1 language and forgot about English market. But it was not enough, even in my small niche there was some people (3 to be exact) who sold this product too.

I launched an affiliate program and begun to have some notoriety (and more traffic). I decided to close some deals with the best blog, forum, on google (and youtube)! These deals literally propulse my business to another level (5k/month).

Hum 5k is good, but my competitors are still better than me and I had no control on the distribution...

Now that I make a little bit of money, I decided to delegate the customer service to be able to work more on the acquisition and process! But wait!! I did not let some bad Indian manage my customer service, I had conscious that my customer service is really liked by my customers and it really made the difference. My competitors do not have a good customer service! So, I choose to take someone for 1 month and train him to be excellent! Now I pay him well and I'm free to focus on other tasks.

What a world that I discovered!!! You can innovate on the product, but you have no ideas on how many possibilities you can have to innovate your traffic acquisition. I did not know that... So, I discovered SEO, email marketing, engineering as marketing, fb ads etc.

Mannnnnn I learned a lot!!! That is amazing how many process we can create online. I specially saw that email is REALLY powerful!

I also tried to buy some ads on facebook and google, but I literally wasted my money. SEO and email were really two ways which fit well with my perspective. It is free and powerful if you work hard!

With a lot of obstinacy, I obtained 5 figures few months after.

ANYWAY! :clap:: I don't want to explain each detail of the 10 months, it will be too long and I also need to work ^^

To resume: It was not easy and it is highly possible that create your product yourself will be more profitable! But I think that the choice depends on your situation. You never launched a business before? That is definitely a good idea to copy or buy some shortcut like that! Why? It will teach you on how to do business. Believe me, I learned more the last year of life than my WHOLE life (marketing, sale, acquisition, product, business relation, ...). If you have a big ambition, but you are currently at the beginning, this is your school, no matter you make money or not! And you need this practice to be who you want to be!

You have already succeeded in business and you want to launch this kind of business? It'll be preferable to launch your own products, because it is very rare to make more than 6 figures with my technique.
BUT!! There is a BUT. If you want to diversify and use your skill to duplicate a business it could work!
And it is exactly what I do right now! I created a private equity and launched others services like that, mainly SAAS but also digital products.

My goal: duplicate my expertise in other markets and have 10 products/services that brings me at least 10k per month. Why? Because if I loose one business I DON'T F*ckING CARE, I have 9 others!!! I want to have CONTROL and I will have with my private equity.

What next? After this little game, I will have enough money to invest in the development of MY PRODUCT without the help of business angel. I will be self-sufficient, money will be not a problem, so I could focus more on how I can bring value to the world (and also how to become a billionaire :somber:, because making money it's really funny haha)

Have always thought this was a wise strategy, ie. to buy SaaS businesses that have potential but for whatever reason the owner is selling or white labeling them.

Problem for me is I'm not a techie so I'd have no idea how to bug fix, built in upgrades, etc so I've stuck to buying/selling blogs as I have WordPress experience.

Any suggestions for someone who likes this idea but can't code? Maybe find a tech partner to go in on it with, or find a techie looking to sell and instead just offer to partner?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Huuum, yes and no.

With a lot of obstinacy, I obtained 5 figures few months after.

You have already succeeded in business and you want to launch this kind of business? It'll be preferable to launch your own products, because it is very rare to make more than 6 figures with my technique.

Can you try to get some of these facts right cause this reads very... off.

The rough timeline:
- Started 10 months ago
- Four months in you were making 1k a month (when you posted?)
- Launched an affiliate program and later got to 5k
- Trained someone for another month
- With a lot of obstinacy, I obtained 5 figures few months after. (that)
- Now 20k a month and 100k profit???

My point isn't the specific numbers - just that it is hard to believe the rest when they make no sense.
And you already admitted your first post was false.

Can you clear this up a little? I like the concept but its hard to read this when the numbers just seem way off.

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Have always thought this was a wise strategy, ie. to buy SaaS businesses that have potential but for whatever reason the owner is selling or white labeling them.

Problem for me is I'm not a techie so I'd have no idea how to bug fix, built in upgrades, etc so I've stuck to buying/selling blogs as I have WordPress experience.

Any suggestions for someone who likes this idea but can't code? Maybe find a tech partner to go in on it with, or find a techie looking to sell and instead just offer to partner?

You can definitely focus on blog and resell digital products which through this blog.

But if you want to go on software industry, the only solution is : start to learn code. Even if you take an tech guy as an employee or associate you need to understand what he does.

SolopreneurGrind

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 26, 2019
You can definitely focus on blog and resell digital products which through this blog.

But if you want to go on software industry, the only solution is : start to learn code. Even if you take an tech guy as an employee or associate you need to understand what he does.
Makes sense, where would you recommend starting for someone who knows nothing other than building a few basic sites on WordPress (without ever writing a line of code)

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Can you try to get some of these facts right cause this reads very... off.

The rough timeline:
- Started 10 months ago

My point isn't the specific numbers - just that it is hard to believe the rest when they make no sense.
And you already admitted your first post was false.

Can you clear this up a little? I like the concept but its hard to read this when the numbers just seem way off.

Sorry about that, english is not my first language.

- Started 10 months ago
I created this post 4 months ago approximately and started this business 6 months before I posted. 4+6 = 10.
After the first 4 months of this company my monthly revenue was 1k.
During the 4th to the 5th month.
During the 5th to the 6th month (approximately).
At the beginning of the 6th (per month).
Yeah, I reached 20k/month recently (26k for the last month). Profit yes, I only speak about profit when I speak by month. Gross volume: 100k+ from the beginning.

Hope this is more clear for you!

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Makes sense, where would you recommend starting for someone who knows nothing other than building a few basic sites on WordPress (without ever writing a line of code)

To be honest, it depends on the product you want to build.

Know that the best way to learn how to code is more about learn how to learn. Sounds strange? Yeah! But there is no better programming language, a specific programming language waits to be used for a specific task. If you have the ability to find the information and to adapt it, you can use every programming language.

But if you want to focus on how to build website, HTML, CSS, PHP, JS could be the basic. Openclassrooms is a good platform to learn code for example.

SolopreneurGrind

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 26, 2019
To be honest, it depends on the product you want to build.

Know that the best way to learn how to code is more about learn how to learn. Sounds strange? Yeah! But there is no better programming language, a specific programming language waits to be used for a specific task. If you have the ability to find the information and to adapt it, you can use every programming language.

But if you want to focus on how to build website, HTML, CSS, PHP, JS could be the basic. Openclassrooms is a good platform to learn code for example.
Awesome thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.