The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business owners! Need more sales?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
Hello!

If you are a business owner, feel free to reply here (or PM me, if you'd like to keep private) and tell me your goals, and the problems that stop you from it. I will do everything I can to help you reach that goal. For most business owners, I assume their goals for the month is to make more sales.

I'm posting this because I need to earn some credibility before I can move on into Upwork. I tried contacting a local business owner and she too said she needed sales. I asked her if she would like to chat with me about how I can bring her more sales, and she left me on read! Damn! It seems that some business owners just WANT to stay poor!

I'm a young guy, I won't have much to do this month and I need a bit of credibility at the moment. I ended up like this because I personally don't know any more business owners since I grew up as a social outcast.

I don't have a lot of skills, but I consider myself a quick learner as I read fast. Maybe the skills I have is basic sales and marketing knowledge, basic programming and some mathematics and physics.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
What are you offering, exactly?
I know this sounds embarrassing but, anything really. So I'll offer any service that would solve a core problem. The solution is usually a website as they can help get more sales, but I need to know more about your business to know exactly what is fit for you.

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
How about instead of saying what I can do for you, you tell me what you can do for me?
If you are not even sure of what skills you have, how can I know them better than you and how can I trust you with a task on something you are not even sure yourself?
You want to help me increase sales? Where's your pitch? What are you offering and what steps will you take to help me reach my goal?
I don't think you are ready for this at all.
If you want to help an entrepreneur get some sales, offer to work for them. Learn the ropes, learn how it works, then you can apply the knowledge to your own business or resell it as a package to other businesses.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
If you want to help an entrepreneur get some sales, offer to work for them.
That's what I did, I wrote it above! She asked me if I wanted to handle the social media marketing for her, I said sure and offered a solution, and she left me on read! I just contacted 2 more business owners today, one I personally know.

I don't think you are ready for this at all.
Of course I'm not, that's why I'm writing this! Also, someone already PMed me about his business today. I thought I was about to offer copy or to make him a better website. Turns out the solution he needed the most wasn't any of those, but a survey, which I haven't learned anything about. If I stated that I'm going to offer a website, he probably wouldn't have PMed me as he would think "How would a better website increase my sales? It's not my website that was stopping me getting more sales."

And even if he did anyways, it would have a bit of pity in it and he wouldn't be as honest with his problems so it would better fit my stated services.

I'm not going to learn a skill to solve a problem for a person I don't even know exist.

How about instead of saying what I can do for you
Don't you get it? This post is a cry for help. What's so difficult about telling someone about your problems?

@Fox Am I doing something wrong here? Did I misunderstood your book?

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Hello!

If you are a business owner, feel free to reply here (or PM me, if you'd like to keep private) and tell me your goals, and the problems that stop you from it. I will do everything I can to help you reach that goal. For most business owners, I assume their goals for the month is to make more sales.

I'm posting this because I need to earn some credibility before I can move on into Upwork. I tried contacting a local business owner and she too said she needed sales. I asked her if she would like to chat with me about how I can bring her more sales, and she left me on read! Damn! It seems that some business owners just WANT to stay poor!

I'm a young guy, I won't have much to do this month and I need a bit of credibility at the moment. I ended up like this because I personally don't know any more business owners since I grew up as a social outcast.

I don't have a lot of skills, but I consider myself a quick learner as I read fast. Maybe the skills I have is basic sales and marketing knowledge, basic programming and some mathematics and physics.
"Maybe the skills I have is basic sales and marketing knowledge, basic programming and some mathematics and physics."

With such set of skill you can have success in participating in income or revenue sharing programs. In these type of programs you get income from sales generated by direct and indirect referrals (geometric progression). If you will be successful you will have income comparable to income from employment (mostly passive) and experience you need.

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
"Maybe the skills I have is basic sales and marketing knowledge, basic programming and some mathematics and physics."

With such set of skill you can have success in participating in income or revenue sharing programs. In these type of programs you get income from sales generated by direct and indirect referrals (geometric progression). If you will be successful you will have income comparable to income from employment (mostly passive) and experience you need.
ChatGPT much? Those programs are often scams from what I've seen, I'd be very careful.

@kommen It sounds like you don't know yourself. What can you do? You mentioned social media manager as well as website designing. Are you really good at both or are you just hoping to land a job by claiming you can do anything when you actually can't?

duszu

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2023
First of all, you need to learn how to actually get new customers. Why would your potential clients think that you will bring them new clients, when you struggle to get a client for yourself?

I recommend you read a few books about selling and then begin searching for clients.

You said that you reached out to two more clients that day. Cool, but it's clearly still not enough. At the beginning of your business, you have to reach out to new potential clients as much as you can. That should be more than 3 companies a day. You can do better than that. Good luck

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
ChatGPT much? Those programs are often scams from what I've seen, I'd be very careful.
"ChatGPT much? Those programs are often scams from what I've seen, I'd be very careful."

No, not ChatGPT's type of programs. Those programs are modifications (suitable for small businesses) of popular referral programs that big companies like Tesla Motors, DropBox, T_Mobile, etc. have.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Pick a skill you'd like to gain that can become a paid service later. Then find people who might need help with those skills and offer to help them for free or cheap. As @BigRomeDawg mentioned, be specific about what that skill is. You can message everyone you know and ask if they know someone who needs help with XYZ.

OR

Watch to see who needs help and help them there and then, ideally in public (like in an online community such as this forum or Facebook groups). Over time you'll start being seen as helpful and supportive, and you may become an expert at solving a particular type of problem.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
This is like going into a bar and hopping on a table and yelling “I’LL F*ck ANYTHING WITH A PULSE, WHO’S DOWN??”

It’s just not going to work. It’s not how any deals get done.

People do not like vague things. As a business owner you need to be specific about exactly what you do, exactly how it will help someone, and exactly why they should do business with you.

“Anything” is as good as “nothing” in this context.

When I see an advertisement for something, I have never once ever seen it say “we will do anything” and it’s a company that doesn’t offer anything specific. That would be the weirdest thing ever and it would not work. It would probably be the least successful commercial of all time since it didn’t even make sense.

If you just labeled what you do as a consultancy service, or a lead gen service, that would increase the palpability 10x compared to saying you’ll do anything.

Then, after that, people will wonder “why the F*ck are YOU qualified to help me?”

You don’t have any experience, but are you smart? Are you creative? Can you prove your abilities for free first and then ask for money? Don’t make me think about what I need or want, it’s a long list. I want some more paper from Office Depot today. I want a latte from Starbucks in an hour. I want to buy some clothes this week. I’m going to send out W2’s to employees later. I’m not going to dig through every detail of my life, come up with a list of 500 needs and wants and present them to you and see which ones you can satisfy.

Desperate doesn’t make me want to do business. I know the homeless guy at the freeway exit is desperate, I don’t even look at him. But I’ve given tens of thousands of dollars to people who know what they can offer, have something I need, and are capable.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello!

Maybe consider getting a job inside a small company to learn the rope of business and understand an industry well.

Every industry has their own pain-points and ecosystem.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.