The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Ideas for the (emerging) stay-at-home Economy?

VincentV

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 12, 2018
The Netherlands
it makes sense empowering the workforce to work at home. A company I know just pivoted their business model from "workshops on location for optimal team performance" to the online training of teams to work together online. How do you set-up conference calls, manage the agenda, have effective meetings etc...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Online courses...

avafab

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 23, 2017
Italy
@Kak since everyone is working from home – maybe some type of cloud-based computing system that allows you to access your work computer from anywhere? Jeez, somebody really should invent that!!

Amazon workspaces does exactly that. You login through an app and you are inside your Windows computer running in the cloud.

now, teaching companies how to use this mechanism to save on hardware costs and let people working from their own computers at home can be an interesting tech consulting field.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Amazon workspaces does exactly that. You login through an app and you are inside your Windows computer running in the cloud.

now, teaching companies how to use this mechanism to save on hardware costs and let people working from their own computers at home can be an interesting tech consulting field.
Is this a way I can hire a beefier virtual machine to process videos?

My PC is good enough for some hardcore Excel, and some light video editing. I don’t want to spend money on more hardware if I want to process videos faster. How do I access better computing power?

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Tire guys are literally out in front of my house.....changing my tires. Love this new found sense of customer service. I guess all of this brick and mortar overhead wasn't as necessary as everyone thought it was.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City

My PC is good enough for some hardcore Excel, and some light video editing. I don’t want to spend money on more hardware if I want to process videos faster. How do I access better computing power?
That would have been an automatic no nswer not too long ago mainly due to lag from the storage to the person editing. I also would not run SQL server on a virtual platform until 5 or 6 years ago.

Now there have been improvements all along the way.
Here are a few options from 2018:

I personally run CyberLink PowerDirector 365. It's pretty powerful and it runs locally, but it does not use the resources something like Adobe Premier.

I suspect Adobe has an online option that reduces local hardware needs, too.

WM Roger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 5, 2018
For those searching for an all encompassing cloud sollution there's www.cloudalize.com
They offer gdaas cloud systems that bring your desktop and the computing power of a heavy workstation to any screen, tin-client, phone or whatever streams it. And quite reasonable price ranges.

avafab

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 23, 2017
Italy
I think

I have not checked what is the max cpu power you can get but in principle yes. When you choose your hardware there are different options. The business model is pay for what you use.

This concept is called “Desktop as a service”.

avafab

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 23, 2017
Italy
Folks, I want to give you another idea. We need to reinvent the desk chairs for remote workers such as developers. Those ergonomic chairs are expensive and not very comfortable. I was thinking about an comfortable armchair with some sort of computer table attached to it. In this way you can stay in a comfortable position between a bed and a sofa and still focused on your work. I am a remote tech manager, I have a ergonomic chair but I feel most focused and productive when laying on the couch with my Mac on the legs. Think about it..

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Folks, I want to give you another idea. We need to reinvent the desk chairs for remote workers such as developers. Those ergonomic chairs are expensive and not very comfortable. I was thinking about an comfortable armchair with some sort of computer table attached to it. In this way you can stay in a comfortable position between a bed and a sofa and still focused on your work. I am a remote tech manager, I have a ergonomic chair but I feel most focused and productive when laying on the couch with my Mac on the legs. Think about it..
Bean-bags with monitor and keyboard mounts? Hmmm... I think it could catch on.

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
View: https://youtu.be/Hwkbj26BQxM

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Meanwhile, on the *national* website for the local big box computer store:

1585091953460.png

mrpixel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2020
United Kingdom
How about literally starting a work from home consultancy agency, guiding companies to building an infrastructure which allows employees to work anywhere, not just for this pandemic but for the future. You'd be surprised how many companies still don't understand the cloud, remote access or team collaboration software.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Great thread.
Been thinking all about this. Specifically about the elderly/senior market quite a bit.

This might help a couple people get on the right track: " Who Are You Helping?"

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Virtual Reality.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Home cleaning?

Home office pods?

Agreed about mental health @biggeemac. Lots of people are suffering from lack of exercise and social interaction.

Home telephone systems? My wife has a wee dongle on her ear and the rest of her team needed set up and shown how to use them.

@Lex DeVille ‘s freelancing courses are going to sell like hot cakes I suspect.

Udemy? Upwork? Fiverr? Are they getting an increase in demand?

YouTube consumption. As well as Netflix and other streaming services.

Cheap tablets and laptops?

For the elderly in particular they may not want to get out for quite a few months. Mobile chiropodists, hairdressers, masseurs, physios? Personal alarms? Networks of delivery drivers? Prescriptions being delivered by pharmacies?

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Virtual Reality.

Yes! Valve (the video game company) just released a VR title, and I know that thousands of people have bought a VR headset for it. Those people had the money for a VR headset, and they definitely want to make use of it. Same goes for the other thousands of people who already owned one.

It doesn't have to be videogame related, although I personally think that's the easiest market to get into for VR.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@Lex DeVille ‘s freelancing courses are going to sell like hot cakes I suspect.

My sales are up from last month, but not significantly. Not in the way I expected at least. I've seen increases in demand in certain freelance skills and also in the number of proposals being submitted to gigs on Upwork. But I suspect many people are frozen (mentally) due to the sudden change to their lifestyle. Others aren't looking to learn new skills or start new ventures. I suspect that, in the U.S. at least, many are just waiting on those govt. checks to roll in.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Online tutors for kids in the United States since schools are shut down?

I feel like the home-services business aren’t going anywhere. I’m taking a Udemy digital marketing course, maybe I can market that skill towards blue collar businesses? Plumbers, electricians, etc.

What’s the best way to make an app? Can I just take a Udemy course on app development you think? The other day I had to go to 4 different grocery stores to find eggs... never found them. An app that shows what grocery stores are out of out, their estimated wait times, etc.

An app that shows hospital urgent care wait times.

I don’t know. I get so distracted and caught up in thinking of ideas that I end up action-faking... or not doing anything at all. I should probably just finish this digital marketing course and go from there.

I get ahead of myself trying to figure out a way to help people sooner rather later but I don’t really have any skills. Go figure! An economics degree and 2 years working at a clothing store and I feel absolutely useless.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Online tutors for kids in the United States since schools are shut down?

I feel like the home-services business aren’t going anywhere. I’m taking a Udemy digital marketing course, maybe I can market that skill towards blue collar businesses? Plumbers, electricians, etc.

What’s the best way to make an app? Can I just take a Udemy course on app development you think? The other day I had to go to 4 different grocery stores to find eggs... never found them. An app that shows what grocery stores are out of out, their estimated wait times, etc.

An app that shows hospital urgent care wait times.

I don’t know. I get so distracted and caught up in thinking of ideas that I end up action-faking... or not doing anything at all. I should probably just finish this digital marketing course and go from there.

I get ahead of myself trying to figure out a way to help people sooner rather later but I don’t really have any skills. Go figure! An economics degree and 2 years working at a clothing store and I feel absolutely useless.
There are tools to make apps without knowing any programming, just google it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I get so distracted and caught up in thinking of ideas that I end up action-faking... or not doing anything at all. I should probably just finish this digital marketing course and go from there.

This might help:
> HOT TOPIC - Who have you helped?

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I loved that recording @Andy Black

The hard part is becoming qualified to answer the questions that help people without any real skills. Economics major + clothing store salesperson = useless.
Of course you have skills.

You passed some exams. Could you help anyone else pass exams?

You’ve got a job. Could you help anyone else get a job?

You have a job selling in a store. Could you help others do the same, or sell in general?

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Of course you have skills.

You passed some exams. Could you help anyone else pass exams?

You’ve got a job. Could you help anyone else get a job?

You have a job selling in a store. Could you help others do the same, or sell in general?
the points of view on this forum really help me thinking out of the box, thanks andy!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What can you do right here, right now, that will help people and where you can get paid?

Delivery driver? Seems like lots of businesses want to deliver products now, and delivery dates are getting pushed back for businesses that already deliver.

Fit safety screens in grocery stores and pharmacies to protect staff from the steady stream of customers?

Tutor kids online who are panicking (or who’s parents are panicking) about summer exams?

Help panicking businesses with their digital marketing and/or moving services online?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.