The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Ethics- Kak vs Dragon

Anything related to matters of the mind

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
451%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
There is a difference between saying something and doing it.

This, I think, is where most of the kickback to the Machiavellian thing is originating.

You don't have to go far into Freud's work to see that civility is mostly a veneer and that, under the surface, we are animals seeking to hunt and kill other (weaker?) animals.

However, a key thing that separates humanity is the ability to conceptualize right and wrong.

How one defines something as such seems to be the core point of discussion of this thread.

A lot of what @Black_Dragon43 is postulating is to become more like Frodo. Frodo was a chimp that ate a human baby, killed a significant quantity of the local primate population, fornicated with his own mother and bullied the other apes.

Surely if the "do anything to become successful" idea is valid, it would mean killing children is not off the table? It's okay because they're not strong enough to survive on their own and are, thus, expendable.

In the animal kingdom, that passes because animals are operating in line with their survival instincts. They do this because they have no other choice. We do. Humanity has built a civilization, the result of which we all benefit from on a daily basis. Sure, some are in the US and have their opportunities. I am in the UK and have mine.

One of the beautiful things about being alive is we - collectively - have a responsibility to maintain that civilization... and contribute to make it better.

Americans have known this from the start and their culture is typically held in regard due to the way in which they've positioned themselves as the arbiters of civility. Before that, Britain and France were the arbiters.

I think a healthy amount of "ruthlessness" is needed to get what you want out of life, but to engage in it as a sport is not conducive to a prosperous society. America works because it is abundant. It is abundant because it instilled a sense of purpose, drive and responsibility into its citizens. The UK has that too, albeit less so.

Ultimately, if you're advocating lying, tricking and conniving your way to success, you will not succeed in a major way. In small ways, yes, you'll make some progress but will eventually come unstuck and have problems.

The reason is you're missing the one thing that determines success in the first place - excellence. Excellence is what pushes society forward and births great empires. The Greeks had a name for it - Arete.

As humans, we have a responsibility to attain this. Attempting to negate it by stealing from others (which is what lying comes down to), is what causes retardation in the system. It's why some people are revered and most are not.

Being ruthless whilst being excellent is necessary (and lauded in many circles). Being ruthless without being excellent means you're taking from others, meaning you'll eventually run out of things to take.

I was going to write more but refrained as to not derail the thread.

I think it's a healthy topic and props to both @Kak and @Black_Dragon43 for entertaining it. Thanks, as ever, to @MJ DeMarco for hosting the forum and helping the community grow through positive action.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Being ruthless whilst being excellent is necessary (and lauded in many circles). Being ruthless without being excellent means you're taking from others, meaning you'll eventually run out of things to take.

Be ruthlessly excellent. I like that.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
There is a difference between saying something and doing it.

This, I think, is where most of the kickback to the Machiavellian thing is originating.

You don't have to go far into Freud's work to see that civility is mostly a veneer and that, under the surface, we are animals seeking to hunt and kill other (weaker?) animals.

However, a key thing that separates humanity is the ability to conceptualize right and wrong.

How one defines something as such seems to be the core point of discussion of this thread.

A lot of what @Black_Dragon43 is postulating is to become more like Frodo. Frodo was a chimp that ate a human baby, killed a significant quantity of the local primate population, fornicated with his own mother and bullied the other apes.

Surely if the "do anything to become successful" idea is valid, it would mean killing children is not off the table? It's okay because they're not strong enough to survive on their own and are, thus, expendable.

In the animal kingdom, that passes because animals are operating in line with their survival instincts. They do this because they have no other choice. We do. Humanity has built a civilization, the result of which we all benefit from on a daily basis. Sure, some are in the US and have their opportunities. I am in the UK and have mine.

One of the beautiful things about being alive is we - collectively - have a responsibility to maintain that civilization... and contribute to make it better.

Americans have known this from the start and their culture is typically held in regard due to the way in which they've positioned themselves as the arbiters of civility. Before that, Britain and France were the arbiters.

I think a healthy amount of "ruthlessness" is needed to get what you want out of life, but to engage in it as a sport is not conducive to a prosperous society. America works because it is abundant. It is abundant because it instilled a sense of purpose, drive and responsibility into its citizens. The UK has that too, albeit less so.

Ultimately, if you're advocating lying, tricking and conniving your way to success, you will not succeed in a major way. In small ways, yes, you'll make some progress but will eventually come unstuck and have problems.

The reason is you're missing the one thing that determines success in the first place - excellence. Excellence is what pushes society forward and births great empires. The Greeks had a name for it - Arete.

As humans, we have a responsibility to attain this. Attempting to negate it by stealing from others (which is what lying comes down to), is what causes retardation in the system. It's why some people are revered and most are not.

I was going to write more but refrained as to not derail the thread.

I think it's a healthy topic and props to both @Kak and @Black_Dragon43 for entertaining it. Thanks, as ever, to @MJ DeMarco for hosting the forum and helping the community grow through positive action.
Machiavellianism was the office politics of the past for the royals.

There are still people who do these to climb up the rank and files. Sucking up to superiors, trying to be visible when working, putting friends in important positions when there is a chance…

It looks nothing like cheating and lying which will end up in personal failure real soon.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Machiavellianism was the office politics of the past for the royals.

There are still people who do these to climb up the rank and files. Sucking up to superiors, trying to be visible when working, putting friends in important positions when there is a chance…

It looks nothing like cheating and lying which will end up in personal failure real soon.
Putting friends and puppets in positions they don't fit may also end up in organisational failure pretty soon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Putting friends and puppets in positions they don't fit may also end up in organisational failure pretty soon.
That’s quite often though. You still need to hit the minimum HR requirement for the role.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Respect the deal that you've made with the customer/vendor/employee (don't lie/cheat/use fine print to finagle something/etc) If I want my business to be in operation in 200 years from now, there is only one choice.

You can drive a hard bargain and still respect your customer/vendor/employee, as long as you respect the deal and don't screw them around their back. You can pay your employees in meth and crack, as long as you give them what they asked for you are being respectful. (ie: they buy 1 kilo of meth, you give them 1 kilo) If you respect them, and the deal, they'll be there for you. Give them horse terds mixed with their juice and they probably won't stay very long.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.