• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Burned down my slowlane political career for entrepreneurship 17 months ago

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Cat Lady, Apr 26, 2018.

1. WestCoast

WestCoast Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,204
    @Cat Lady

Great work on making such a switch in careers. No matter what the numbers, you're clearly focused and checking things off your list towards your goals.

It's also really good to see more female participation - we need lots more of that in business!

There are more entrepreneurs in Portland than you might first expect (sounds like your SSO might know some of them :). I find it to be a tight community that actually seems to care.

Regards from NW PDX

2. Adeoluwa Adejumo

Adeoluwa Adejumo New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    I can already see several opportunities that you are overlooking...

3. Cat Lady

Cat Lady Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $793
    I'm pretty familiar and friendly with a lot of them - unfortunately there's not as many media entrepreneurs here, they tend to be pretty tech- and manufacturing-heavy. But this community is filled with really amazing people, and Silicon Florist and Nedspace (two lynchpins of the startup community here) really helped me get off the ground. Mercycorps NW (our small biz nonprofit) gave me a start-up grant. I also got runner-up in a pitch competition run by the local biz community last year.

I do, sometimes, seriously want a business partner. For both my own accountability and for the mashing of skillsets. Someone who LOVES marketing and can take my marketing ideas and turns them into better things. I do not like marketing, but I recognize the value because when I get a PR or blog hit, I make money. People find me, and are helped by my content. I just can't make myself spend time on it (I prefer the "making" not the "marketing" side.)

Well, that's a wildly unhelpful comment.

Here's the thing about "opportunities" - I have to pay my bills each month, I have to sleep and eat food, and I'm only one person. There's a HUGE amount of opportunities out there, but many have a long lead time to profitability and require upfront capital/time investment or require skills that aren't my specialty. I allocate my time to have minimal capital investment while recognizing that I can only work about ~60 hours a week consistently before my body breaks down (as I keep discovering).

Media is a slow build business without lots of marketing investment especially if your brand is centered around authenticity. However, I feel pretty good about where I am at for 1.5 years of doing this as a side gig.

(She says before she spirals again into feeling like she's wasting her life.)

Charnell likes this.
  4. Adeoluwa Adejumo

Rep Bank:
    $32
    w
    what's the book about if you can share and how many people already bought?

5. Cat Lady

Rep Bank:
    $793
    The book is cats explaining purr-sonal finance - and I've made about $22,000 gross off of it, with about 600 copies sold. Total print run of 1000 copies, with about 200 of those going to low-income youth through our pay it fur-ward program.

6. Adeoluwa Adejumo

Rep Bank:
    $32
    so to be clear you are really interested in revving up revenue + strengthening your brand

I'm sure you i can show you some of the things you totally have the ability to do and are NOT doing YET

& you'll probably share a thing / two about fundraising with me sometime

If It's okay I'm going to send you a private message

7. Cat Lady

Rep Bank:
    $793
    I'm sure I have plenty I can learn, feel free to DM me.

--
    Relatedly, this week has been exceedingly frustrating. I am having so many issues with Amazon - all I want is my Kindle book to be uploaded and linked to a fulfilled by amazon version of my print book with my ISBN (NOT print on demand) with my author profile linked to both. Not so hard, right? At this point I have:

• 2 different versions of the book, neither of which are displaying the cover
    • 4 different amazon accounts all of which required identity verification: amazon merchant, amazon advantage, amazon KDP and amazon author central