For the past couple of years, I've been building a YouTube channel focused on myself as an artist and my passion for photography. This has always been on the side and has usually ridden shotgun to my main gig. It was basically started for fun, as a way to help other people with their craft, and that part of it has been super fulfilling.
This year I decided to go for it and see if I could transition to generating my income full-time from my photography online, in the form of YouTube and other online work (courses, affiliate links, etc.).
I've been seeing pretty good progress, revenue, and growth (2000 subs a month on the channel, great engagement, connections, relationships with camera brands, channel sponsorship opportunities, etc). Not enough to survive off of full-time, but the signs are there that people like what I'm doing and if I keep going it will grow at a good rate.
I've always 'followed my passion', and made a living doing video and photography work for the past ten years, but there have been so many times where it's almost killed my love for the craft, and also ate up a ton of my time and energy. I'm starting to feel that now with this YouTube channel, especially when I'm so emotionally and creatively attached to the final products and end up labouring over them for long periods of time to make sure they're perfect.
For example, I just spent two days working on a new video that I forced myself to go out and shoot so I could stay on schedule, but I hate the images I created in the video, so now I'm thinking about ditching it... whereas if I wasn't trying to make this my business, I may have waited a week and posted a video once I had an idea I felt really good about.
Up until this year, my mindset for my entire career has been to make a modest comfortable income doing something I love... that's it. "Follow your passion. Do what you love!"
But reading TML was a wake-up call, and it really got me thinking about the possibilities of running a business in another niche with more potential, generating more freedom, and then being able to do my photography and the YouTube channel for the love of it. Basically, running something as an entrepreneur, not as an artist.
I guess I'm just struggling right now to make the decision as I feel quite connected to it.
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. Anyone else out there been in a similar situation?
This year I decided to go for it and see if I could transition to generating my income full-time from my photography online, in the form of YouTube and other online work (courses, affiliate links, etc.).
I've been seeing pretty good progress, revenue, and growth (2000 subs a month on the channel, great engagement, connections, relationships with camera brands, channel sponsorship opportunities, etc). Not enough to survive off of full-time, but the signs are there that people like what I'm doing and if I keep going it will grow at a good rate.
I've always 'followed my passion', and made a living doing video and photography work for the past ten years, but there have been so many times where it's almost killed my love for the craft, and also ate up a ton of my time and energy. I'm starting to feel that now with this YouTube channel, especially when I'm so emotionally and creatively attached to the final products and end up labouring over them for long periods of time to make sure they're perfect.
For example, I just spent two days working on a new video that I forced myself to go out and shoot so I could stay on schedule, but I hate the images I created in the video, so now I'm thinking about ditching it... whereas if I wasn't trying to make this my business, I may have waited a week and posted a video once I had an idea I felt really good about.
Up until this year, my mindset for my entire career has been to make a modest comfortable income doing something I love... that's it. "Follow your passion. Do what you love!"
But reading TML was a wake-up call, and it really got me thinking about the possibilities of running a business in another niche with more potential, generating more freedom, and then being able to do my photography and the YouTube channel for the love of it. Basically, running something as an entrepreneur, not as an artist.
I guess I'm just struggling right now to make the decision as I feel quite connected to it.
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. Anyone else out there been in a similar situation?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
