The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bought a huge house with a 3 car garage and a pool!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Small update:

Sold the truck. Was going to get $22-23k from the dealership and kelley blue book valued it at $27k if I sold it privately. My Dad offered me 25k. I owe 15k so I now have 10k in my pocket now which is going towards debts.

I've been driving my $1k jeep around with no problems!
Great progress, man. A lot of people talk about selling everything off to wipe the slate clean yet hardly any ever actually do it.

Those Jeeps are great, btw. Treat it good and it'll do the same to you.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
It takes a real man and truly dedicated father to take a hard look at what he is doing in life. Saying to himself "Ive f*cked up here" and then proceed to fix it. Well done!
Your kids may never realise what you did or went through but I'm sure watching them happily reaping the benefits its more than thanks enough.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Great progress, man. A lot of people talk about selling everything off to wipe the slate clean yet hardly any ever actually do it.

Those Jeeps are great, btw. Treat it good and it'll do the same to you.

Thank you so much, mws87. And my mechanic said the same thing!! He believes I should get much more mileage out of it... and now that I'm living with my parents temporarily, I'm doing much less driving. Its working out great so far. I'm definitely going to be strict with the maintenance on it.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
It takes a real man and truly dedicated father to take a hard look at what he is doing in life. Saying to himself "Ive f*cked up here" and then proceed to fix it. Well done!
Your kids may never realise what you did or went through but I'm sure watching them happily reaping the benefits its more than thanks enough.

Reading this makes my eyes tear up, but in a good way. Thank you so much mrarcher. There were nights where I was working and I would go and drive to a spot where nobody could find me and I would just cry. I knew I was ruining my life and the life of my family but I was too afraid to do anything about it. Thankfully I was able to man up and start to fix things. This forum was so, so instrumental in helping me take that first step. Like I've said before, I'm not out of the woods yet but I know we will get there.

I'm so excited about the future and what this new lifestyle of discipline and dedication will bring. Once we are completely out of debt, the opportunities will be endless.

My sons may never know what I went through, but I'll be sure to teach them what I've learned. Its definitely been an invaluable experience.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I remember when this thread was just started. Awesome fkn job man! That's really all I have to say. Sacrifice and grinding are a few key ingredients in becoming a successful entrepreneur, so keep up the good work, you're on the right track!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I remember when this thread was just started. Awesome fkn job man! That's really all I have to say. Sacrifice and grinding are a few key ingredients in becoming a successful entrepreneur, so keep up the good work, you're on the right track!

Thank you so much, ddzc. One day I hope to be a successful entrepreneur, and I think that if I stay disciplined and use what I've learned I have what it takes. I appreciate your kind words!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I feel stupid for constantly bringing this thread to the top but its turned into a progress thread of sorts so here goes again.

Small update:

Today was a good day. Got a check back from my homeowner's insurance for $1,100.00 and a check from my mortgage company for escrow money left over after the sale in the amount of $4,800.00. Was expecting much less. All going towards paying down debt.

MAU

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Mar 10, 2016
Silver Spring Maryland
I feel stupid for constantly bringing this thread to the top but its turned into a progress thread of sorts so here goes again.

Small update:

Today was a good day. Got a check back from my homeowner's insurance for $1,100.00 and a check from my mortgage company for escrow money left over after the sale in the amount of $4,800.00. Was expecting much less. All going towards paying down debt.

Glad to hear things are getting better. Keep being brave in making those tough decisions.

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
Just dropping in to say thank you for this thread. This has helped me with my own financial situation. This is pretty simple stuff, I guess. But seeing you take action and progressing has really made it that much easier for me to follow on your steps.

I think your sons will have a really solid foundation to life when you are there to give them guidance.

BTW, Any updates?

Rep transferred.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Just dropping in to say thank you for this thread. This has helped me with my own financial situation. This is pretty simple stuff, I guess. But seeing you take action and progressing has really made it that much easier for me to follow on your steps.

I think your sons will have a really solid foundation to life when you are there to give them guidance.

BTW, Any updates?

Rep transferred.

Thanks for this post, iizu! The last thing I ever thought would happen when I created this thread was that others would find help and motivation through it. Its definitely an exciting thing for me.

As far as updates are concerned, I am still chipping away at the debt. Working, spending time with family, and enjoying my kids. We are down to one credit card left with a balance on it (approximately $15k) and then we will be debt free except for a real estate loan.

Once the credit card is paid off, I will concentrate on putting away some money. I plan on re-reading TMF again and using this new dedication and mindset on creating something wonderful for myself and my family. But not worrying about that till the debt is finished off!

Good luck with your situation my friend.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the interest Andrew! Not much to update at this time. We are still chipping away at the debt and have been living with my parents for a few months. Things are going pretty well, its amazing how much money we can put towards debts when we have so very few bills. We did have a few setbacks where we had to spend some money that we rather would have thrown into debt, but hey, life happens.

We're in the process of making some really big life changes which include a cross country move. Pretty exciting stuff but I don't really want to give details yet till things are set in stone.

We aren't out of debt yet but we're getting there!

Andrew87

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 28, 2015
You guys are kicking a$$!! Keep it up!! Are you planning on still being a police officer if you move? With the way the people hate us these days sometimes a career change doesn't seem so hard to believe. Stay safe out there brother!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
You guys are kicking a$$!! Keep it up!! Are you planning on still being a police officer if you move? With the way the people hate us these days sometimes a career change doesn't seem so hard to believe. Stay safe out there brother!

I'm applying for the local PD where we are moving to, but I'm not sure that I'll go that route. I'm mostly doing it as a fall back in case other plans either don't work out or take longer than expected. They are currently hiring and I have already been in contact with two people there who assure me that with my experience I can definitely get hired there.

Honestly I'm pretty much done with this line of work... I have another job lined up that I'd prefer to take. Pay is lower but I will have more free time. More time with family and more time to work on other business ideas = win. And it will be much easier with little to no debt!

I'll definitely update in more detail once things are set in stone. I must say, though, if it wasn't for this thread I'd not only still be up to my eyeballs in debt, I'd NEVER consider quitting my job and moving 16 hours away... I've gained so much knowledge and confidence from this forum.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Small update. Doing great in the debt department but still not completely out. Still living with parents for now. Put the big move on hold for the time being and will be staying in NJ. That may change in the future but for now we are staying.

We don't want to live with the parents forever, so we are buying a new house. Nothing outlandish or crazy this time. A small fixer upper that we are getting a good deal on. Pics to follow.

Still chipping away at the debt and also putting some money in the bank for house related stuff. Feels good not being drowning in debt. On a very positive note my credit is around a 740. Years ago I had DESTROYED my credit and was around a 575. Hovered in the mid-600's for years. Nice to see it improve. Paying off a lot of the debt definitely helped too.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Small update. Doing great in the debt department but still not completely out. Still living with parents for now. Put the big move on hold for the time being and will be staying in NJ. That may change in the future but for now we are staying.

We don't want to live with the parents forever, so we are buying a new house. Nothing outlandish or crazy this time. A small fixer upper that we are getting a good deal on. Pics to follow.

Still chipping away at the debt and also putting some money in the bank for house related stuff. Feels good not being drowning in debt. On a very positive note my credit is around a 740. Years ago I had DESTROYED my credit and was around a 575. Hovered in the mid-600's for years. Nice to see it improve. Paying off a lot of the debt definitely helped too.
I love your progress

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Here is the old house (The one that the first post of this thread was about)

http://imgur.com/bySExMO

http://imgur.com/B5cAAT2

http://imgur.com/KOSishq

http://imgur.com/GSchbJQ

The quality of the pics is bad because I took the pics with my cell phone. But you get the point. For some reason I couldn't upload the photos on here so I just linked them.

Lastly I present to you the house that we are currently in the process of purchasing. Like I said, it's nothing special. But its in a neighborhood we know we love and once we fix it up it will be a nice little home. A nice little home that is MUCH less expensive than our last one, lol.

http://imgur.com/LdpPQUZ

redsfaithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Jul 2, 2014
Bexley, OH
Neighborhood, school district, and proximity to work are more important than any home amenities. People give up a lot, both in time and money, for that in ground pool or extra bedrooms (that never end up being used for anything), and I don't think it's usually worth it.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Neighborhood, school district, and proximity to work are more important than any home amenities. People give up a lot, both in time and money, for that in ground pool or extra bedrooms (that never end up being used for anything), and I don't think it's usually worth it.

Man you are so right!!

This is literally a 1 minute drive to work. We used to live in this neighborhood before buying the big house, so we know we like it. It is a lake community and great for the kids. Also, out of all of the schools in this town, the elementary school that my kids will be attending is my wife's favorite out of all of them. So overall I'd say its a home run!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I feel sad reading this thread. So many Slowlaners (or even Fastlaners in the making) give in too soon to the devil within-instant gratification. A friend's uncle of mine opened up a car polishing centre and guess what, he used investors' money to get himself a Porsche! You don't do that with a startup, doofus!

My community doesn't have a reputable background in business, let a lone Fastlane. The moment they get money, they go high on holidays and pimped cribs instead of reinvesting it into business or assets.

That's why if I want a ride, I'm paying cash for it. But fortunately I'm not interested in cars. A good economical Toyota or Honda will do just fine!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I feel sad reading this thread. So many Slowlaners (or even Fastlaners in the making) give in too soon to the devil within-instant gratification. A friend's uncle of mine opened up a car polishing centre and guess what, he used investors' money to get himself a Porsche! You don't do that with a startup, doofus!

My community doesn't have a reputable background in business, let a lone Fastlane. The moment they get money, they go high on holidays and pimped cribs instead of reinvesting it into business or assets.

That's why if I want a ride, I'm paying cash for it. But fortunately I'm not interested in cars. A good economical Toyota or Honda will do just fine!

I'm sorry that you feel sad from this thread, but I hope you can turn that frown upside down and realize that although I made some huge mistakes, I've learned from them! Hopefully others can learn from them too. Have a great day.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Please elaborate my friend!
Sorry your original post didn't seem like you had actually switched to a fastlane mindset. Otherwise you wouldn't have been reffering to yourself so many times.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Sorry your original post didn't seem like you had actually switched to a fastlane mindset. Otherwise you wouldn't have been reffering to yourself so many times.

The original post had a lot of issues for sure. Much was learned from post one until this one, although there is still much work to do. Eliminating debt is the current goal.

(How's that for a lack of "I" and "Me")?

Safe to say you didn't read through the whole thread... check it out and have a great night!

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
The original post had a lot of issues for sure. Much was learned from post one until this one, although there is still much work to do. Eliminating debt is the current goal.

(How's that for a lack of "I" and "Me")?

Safe to say you didn't read through the whole thread... check it out and have a great night!
Sorry. I posted my original response before I read the rest of the post. My second response was after which is why I said sorry ha So sorry again :p

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.