The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Blue Ocean Strategy Market Research

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2021
Hello

i'm looking to start conducting market research to find a blue ocean strategy. In the books it talks about doing infield work and market research

1) In the blue ocean shift, it mentions the importance of being in the field to assess pain points.
If my field (personal development) people just access online courses from the click of a button, would being in the field involve me just watching people download a course?

2) I'm brand new to business so I have no existing customers to interview, is this a problem?

3) What would be the best way to find non customers to interview? do I have to find strangers and ask to interview them? Or just post questions on forums for people to answer?

4) How many people approx would I have to interview/observe in the field

thank you in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
Hello

i'm looking to start conducting market research to find a blue ocean strategy. In the books it talks about doing infield work and market research

1) In the blue ocean shift, it mentions the importance of being in the field to assess pain points.
If my field (personal development) people just access online courses from the click of a button, would being in the field involve me just watching people download a course?

2) I'm brand new to business so I have no existing customers to interview, is this a problem?

3) What would be the best way to find non customers to interview? do I have to find strangers and ask to interview them? Or just post questions on forums for people to answer?

thank you in advance

A book called Talking to Humans by Giff Constable answers most of the questions you're asking.
This is not a book on Blue Ocean Strategy but on researching new ideas.

BTW, do not get caught up with this phrase or concept of "Blue Ocean Strategy". It's just a buzzword. Trying to find new markets for new products which did not exist before has been around since the first humans starting trading with each other. (But some Harvard Business School researchers claims it's their idea and bestowed a fancy magazine-friendly title on it...)

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

I enjoyed the blue ocean strategy quite a lot.

It'd be more like talking to people in your market that have bought your product or a competitor's, or are interested in buying.

Not necessarily, if you can find a way to talk to your market then you can work on finding a blue ocean to create.

There isn't really a best. Go to where they are and engage with them how they like to be engaged. If they're on forums, then go to forums. If they're on social media, then go to that specific social media. If they're not online much then seek them out physically.

That's not a knowable question. It also doesn't matter.

Figuring out a blue ocean isn't direct. But the only way to find one is by getting to deeply know a market you wish to serve, as well as what is currently being offered to them.

If you're really serious, then get started! As you start to talk to people and get positive reinforcement, you'll find it getting easier and easier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.