The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Blue ocean strategy

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)
For any book discussion

Muusa

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Feb 15, 2022
I am currently reading blue ocean strategy and I think the concept that the book highlights is great as to start a business in a niche / less competitive market is preferable due to you being able to attain a large market share compared to in a overly competitive market where you will have a tiny overall market share. However my counter argument to the concept is that if you create a business in a overly competitive market and if you provide multiple value skews then you will stand out from the competition. In addition to this typically an overly competitive market will have a higher market valuation compared to a niche market and therefore the upside in a overly competitive market is much greater. Finally there is not a great benefit in being the largest company in a minuscule market.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Sep 9, 2021
If MJ's explanation on value value skews isn't enough for you, reading Blue Ocean Strategy will give you a few more example of how a value skew works, useful graphs, and techniques you can implement

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I’m always off put when a business book is written by business professors/ theorists or a “consultant”

Read a brief summary of the book. Seems like fairly common sense.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore