The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency Discussion (And Predictions)

D

Deleted78083

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I am always divided on these principles because it all comes down to the asset you are buying.

Some assets dive and die cuz they have no future. Others dive and come back roaring.

We are buying tulips here.
That's a bit different.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Ignore the sensational title. Enjoy the information. He explains it pretty well.

View: https://youtu.be/gZaMcMMSJwY
Although it seems a great way to generate a passive income, it's not a set and forget solution.
The crucial thing you have to keep in mind is that the APY displayed are variable.
Today it says you get a 5% or a 10% APY, it can go down to 1% or 2% in a month.

With that being said, these percentage looks reasonable, far from some other cryptocurrencies which boast sometimes 30% or even higher APY. The higher the APY the more variable the return will be. Basic risk/reward principle at play here. Just don't get fooled by thinking you can stake $1000 and get a steady 30-60% APY.

Here's a concise and helpful article on the topic for those unfamiliar with it.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Sounds so easy.....
View attachment 38211View attachment 38212
But just if you can leave all emotions aside. What do you think?

It is easy.
Buy the blood, even if it's yours.

FOMO buy the blood.

Several here say they want to/have sold.
That's always a buy signal.

Nice quotes for wishful thinking. They're perfect for robots, not humans.
Most of the time, two scenarios play out:
a) (80% of the time) You bought at a price, and you're like 30% down. You tell yourself you have diamond hands and won't sell. Then the price continues to go down. You're down 50%. You start sweating but you hodl. Price keeps plummeting. After a few weeks or months you're now down 80% and you realize it's all bullshit, better sell now and buy back later. You sell. Then the market reverses. It's a fact. The market reverses trend only when most of people gave up and sold. And it's a statistical, self-evident fact, you (and I) are most of the people.
b) (20% of the time) Somehow, you managed to keep FOMO at bay, and waited until the market plummeted heavily to step in and buy a nice big bag, ready to take big profits. Except that the market doesn't reverse, it keeps plummeting when you thought it couldn't go lower. Since you bought a hefty bag, you quickly see huge losses, which forces you to sell.

My point is not that you can't actually buy low and sell high. But that it's extremely difficult. Much more than you think, except if you're an experienced trader. Only then you know how this talk of "buy low sell high" is f*cking cheap. In reality it's super hard. Again, not unfeasible, just super hard.

Basically you have to be 100% detached toward the money you engaged in trading/investing. Only then, when you give zero f*cks about losing 100% of your money, are able to make the right decisions objectively. But I've yet to know someone who's 100% detached. I guess that's why funds and seasoned investors almost always rely on algorithms.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
a) (80% of the time) You bought at a price, and you're like 30% down. You tell yourself you have diamond hands and won't sell. Then the price continues to go down. You're down 50%. You start sweating but you hodl. Price keeps plummeting. After a few weeks or months you're now down 80% and you realize it's all bullshit, better sell now and buy back later. You sell. Then the market reverses. It's a fact. The market reverses trend only when most of people gave up and sold. And it's a statistical, self-evident fact, you (and I) are most of the people.
b) (20% of the time) Somehow, you managed to keep FOMO at bay, and waited until the market plummeted heavily to step in and buy a nice big bag, ready to take big profits. Except that the market doesn't reverse, it keeps plummeting when you thought it couldn't go lower. Since you bought a hefty bag, you quickly see huge losses, which forces you to sell.

My point is not that you can't actually buy low and sell high. But that it's extremely difficult. Much more than you think, except if you're an experienced trader. Only then you know how this talk of "buy low sell high" is f*cking cheap. In reality it's super hard. Again, not unfeasible, just super hard.

Basically you have to be 100% detached toward the money you engaged in trading/investing. Only then, when you give zero f*cks about losing 100% of your money, are able to make the right decisions objectively. But I've yet to know someone who's 100% detached. I guess that's why funds and seasoned investors almost always rely on algorithms.
Stagger your buy down and dont be greedy. No one knows where the bottom is before we head all the up again.

If it rebounds earlier than you expect be okay with small profit. If it dips further than you expect just stop buying into the falling knife and let time take care of itself. It is okay to have not bought all the way into the bottom.

It is a balance between taking advantage if an opportunity and what if you are wrong about something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

I've ridden red candles through the depths of hell in this market and kept buying.

The key word being "most." it's no surprise that most drop the ball really.

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany
Thats exactly why 40% of my portfolio is handled by a well performing bot. At the same time i am HODLing until Zero because it woo obvious that crypto is not going away for sure. It keeps going up and down in circles and after you survived a few, you should get calmer and simply ignore fud, don't check your portfolio every day and get busy with other things.
That is why you DCA and not dump in all your money in at once, because you think that market reached bottom. This is greed taking over. Better invest too cautious than too risky and run out of money before market hits bottom.
These emotional reactions mostly happen because of greed or out of fear. Don't work with money that you depend on.

GerTex

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Oct 18, 2012
Arlington, Texas
Although it seems a great way to generate a passive income, it's not a set and forget solution.
The crucial thing you have to keep in mind is that the APY displayed are variable.
Today it says you get a 5% or a 10% APY, it can go down to 1% or 2% in a month.

With that being said, these percentage looks reasonable, far from some other cryptocurrencies which boast sometimes 30% or even higher APY. The higher the APY the more variable the return will be. Basic risk/reward principle at play here. Just don't get fooled by thinking you can stake $1000 and get a steady 30-60% APY.

Here's a concise and helpful article on the topic for those unfamiliar with it.

I threw this out there so people understood unlike last time around, it's not in or out of crypto completely.

USDC on AAVE, CONVEX, etc are places to 'park' yourself until such a time as you believe the market has bottomed out. You are correct that the APY is variable. But unlike the BTC/ETH/Altcoin market drop your money is 'safe' per se on the sideline earning some sort of interest. This is definitely not intended as a passive income vehicle. I should have clarified that better.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans

A lot of wishful thinking. Something I heard today “You cannot control your emotions, only the reaction. Sometimes it takes accepting the full emotions of the situation to make the right choices “ so having a plan in place for either direction the market goes will help with your decision.
Stagger your buy down and dont be greedy. No one knows where the bottom is before we head all the up again.

If it rebounds earlier than you expect be okay with small profit. If it dips further than you expect just stop buying into the falling knife and let time take care of itself. It is okay to have not bought all the way into the bottom.

It is a balance between taking advantage if an opportunity and what if you are wrong about something.
This is why I’m part in the market part out right now. No one knows which way it will go.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Cold blooded Shiller... Lol. What a maniac. Once people follow his advice I'm selling!!!!!!

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Even after selling crypto is not a thing to leave. I'd rather store in PAXG.
And DCA into a project I belive in.
I did had much more than I was ok losing. Will adjust that.

And it's really a bullish the fact that there was a massive crash and DeFi stood there like it was nothing.

"If any part of your uncertainty", said Galt, "is a conflict between your heart and your mind _ follow your mind".

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just starting mining for fun. Testing the waters and thought it was something incredibly difficult to setup... but really all it required was editing a batch file to have my payment address and where I'm mining and then let the races begin! Cool stuff! :)

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Most traders get Rekt. 90% + don't out perform holders. But im SURE @James Fake is the exception. :p
IMO trading is like the frugality/compound scams:

Good for preaching (books, courses) not for actually doing it.

Sounds so easy.....
View attachment 38211View attachment 38212
But just if you can leave all emotions aside. What do you think?

As other posters have said, it's hard to leave all emotions aside. But if you depend on the money you're investing, you're doing it wrong from the beginning.

If you enter with a lottery mindset, at least detach yourself from the price of the ticket as you do with a lottery ticket. My father used to spend up to $2000 in the lottery in the Christmas season. He's a good man, but not very clever. But hey, at least he wasn't attached to the money he spent.

A better mindset is entering into a project because you believe in it. When prices start to drop huge, you have to ask yourself if it does make sense:

Is it really the project a rug or is it just the usual FUD? Research it, but not in the media. Remind yourself of what made you invest in the first place, and see if that analysis still applies.

I'm a noob yet to the crypto space and investing in general, but some things are easy to learn. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

P.S. I'm going to ape (play the lottery) into some projects with a high probability to go to zero, but only with a few 100s that I can afford to lose. It's a way to learn also, and... who knows)

Frinys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Oct 28, 2019
For all of you who are selling after a dip, or buying after a rally:

You need a strategy.

Do you know why DCA works? Because it is a well-defined strategy based on rules. You use X of your fiat to buy an asset, and you repeat this weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, no matter what. And if you have a target and hit it, you reverse the process to take profit. It's stupidly simple, as long as you stay on track.

Here is another, a little more advanced strategy:
During the year before the next halving, I will invest X% of my portfolio in crypto. I will try to avoid the peak that is expected by many in 2021 or 2022, and start accumulating after that. I will completely stop buying once the halving occurs, and sell X% of my crypto portfolio when Bitcoin hits Y. The factors that allow me to deviate from this strategy are (1) technological advancements that threaten blockchains, e.g. quantum computers, (2) extreme changes in my personal finance that force me to take profit or loss early.

These strategies are easy to implement, but hard to follow. They prevent emotional investments. Once you get emotional, you follow the herd. And when you follow the herd, you usually end up doing the exact opposite of what you should do.

To look at the charts one or two weeks after a dip, and feel that it is going to dip more, is not a strategy, that is feelings. You need to counter those feelings. And the best way to counter feelings is to have predefined rules set up.

If you are one of those considering selling right now, ask yourself why you want to do so. What new has happened in the blockchain space that makes you consider selling? If the answer is "a dip" or "nothing", then you may very well be an emotional investor instead of a strategical one.

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain

You need a strategy.

Do you know why DCA works? Because it is a well-defined strategy based on rules. You use X of your fiat to buy an asset, and you repeat this weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, no matter what. And if you have a target and hit it, you reverse the process to take profit. It's stupidly simple, as long as you stay on track.

During the year before the next halving, I will invest X% of my portfolio in crypto. I will try to avoid the peak that is expected by many in 2021 or 2022, and start accumulating after that. I will completely stop buying once the halving occurs, and sell X% of my crypto portfolio when Bitcoin hits Y. The factors that allow me to deviate from this strategy are (1) technological advancements that threaten blockchains, e.g. quantum computers, (2) extreme changes in my personal finance that force me to take profit or loss early.

These strategies are easy to implement, but hard to follow. They prevent emotional investments. Once you get emotional, you follow the herd. And when you follow the herd, you usually end up doing the exact opposite of what you should do.

To look at the charts one or two weeks after a dip, and feel that it is going to dip more, is not a strategy, that is feelings. You need to counter those feelings. And the best way to counter feelings is to have predefined rules set up.

If you are one of those considering selling right now, ask yourself why you want to do so. What new has happened in the blockchain space that makes you consider selling? If the answer is "a dip" or "nothing", then you may very well be an emotional investor instead of a strategical one.

You could convert this post into a 1-page pdf, add a couple of images and a cover, and sell it as "The One Page Investing Guide" for at least $49,99.

Nobody could argue that the advice doesn't worth 100x that in the long term :D

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Mining payouts are being absolutely slaughtered right now. 1gha now only pays out 0.79 ethereum per month.

Back over a year ago I was earning 1.6/month on 0.6gha

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Mining payouts are being absolutely slaughtered right now. 1gha now only pays out 0.79 ethereum per month.

Back over a year ago I was earning 1.6/month on 0.6gha
Yes. Time to get cheap GPUs

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Yes. Time to get cheap GPUs
I wish. They are more expensive than ever. Local prices are a minum of 2x MSRP.

I'm traveling right now and stores are selling them here for 3x MSRP.

There is 0 way I would ever pay more than 10% over MSRP for a card. Mining just has too much uncertainty going forward to drop such massive sums on cards. However I buy every card I can find at MSRP

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
3 months ago an rtx3090 was paying out 0.2eth a month. Now it is less than 0.1.

People are paying more for them now than they were 3 months ago. To me that's just crazy

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
3 months ago an rtx3090 was paying out 0.2eth a month. Now it is less than 0.1.

People are paying more for them now than they were 3 months ago. To me that's just crazy
Same reason, why meme coins rise x100 or x1000 sometimes. There will be a dip! ;)

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
I wish. They are more expensive than ever. Local prices are a minum of 2x MSRP.

I'm traveling right now and stores are selling them here for 3x MSRP.

There is 0 way I would ever pay more than 10% over MSRP for a card. Mining just has too much uncertainty going forward to drop such massive sums on cards. However I buy every card I can find at MSRP
Where are you looking for these, Retail or secondary market?

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015

You need a strategy.

Systems are great.
Adding to that, there are rigid systems and discretionary systems.
The former will never change it's rules, the latter is more dynamic. That's because a lot of variables are added or changed every day, and the investor will use his intuition to calculate risk/reward at any given time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.