The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beginner's guide to setting up a Linux machine

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Considering a switch to Linux for my computers... Every time in the past that I have ever tried this... It has been a project of epic proportions. Does it ever just get to a place where you are using it like an actual computer?

With my security, browsing anonymity and privacy becoming of greater concern... I'd like to try again.

Is Ubuntu the best ticket in town for a newbie? I know it will take some getting used to, but screw Amazon, Microsoft, Apple and Google. All four have earned as much distance as I can get away from them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Considering a switch to Linux for my computers... Every time in the past that I have ever tried this... It has been a project of epic proportions. Does it ever just get to a place where you are using it like an actual computer?

With my security, browsing anonymity and privacy becoming of greater concern... I'd like to try again.

Is Ubuntu the best ticket in town for a newbie? I know it will take some getting used to, but screw Amazon, Microsoft, Apple and Google. All four have earned as much distance as I can get away from them.
I switched after reading a post on this thread around 1-2 months ago. I'm very pleased with it ! Setting it up has been straightforward (I used to be kind of a geek but I don't know much more than the average Joe anymore). It looks much like Windows but it feels "cleaner" (doesn't seem like there are a million useless things running in the background). I use Linux Mint which was the version talked about here.

I now run it 99% of the time. I only use Windows to work on my photography as Linux doesn't have a good enough alternative to Adobe products. The rest is fine. The standard set up lets you create partitions and keep your Windows, which could be useful if you need some specific software Linux lacks. The process is much easier than it sounds.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey

I love Ubuntu! There's a little bit of a learning curve but there's a ton of information on how to get started. If I didn't have to rely on Adobe and maybe Affinity I would have made the switch already. You can use Wine if you have to use a Windows program but you might have mixed results.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I switched after reading a post on this thread around 1-2 months ago. I'm very pleased with it ! Setting it up has been straightforward (I used to be kind of a geek but I don't know much more than the average Joe anymore). It looks much like Windows but it feels "cleaner" (doesn't seem like there are a million useless things running in the background). I use Linux Mint which was the version talked about here.

I now run it 99% of the time. I only use Windows to work on my photography as Linux doesn't have a good enough alternative to Adobe products. The rest is fine. The standard set up lets you create partitions and keep your Windows, which could be useful if you need some specific software Linux lacks. The process is much easier than it sounds.
Nice!

So I am not foreign to geeking out on stuff...

I run two computers personally... A Ryzen PC that I built myself on an MSI motherboard and also a Macbook Air for travel.

Every time I try some Linux distro, I ultimately tell my wife to shoot me before I try that again.

Some of the services I need to make work properly include: Skype, OneDrive, Signal, Authy and Nord VPN.

For the radio show, I run a software called Hindenberg Journalist Pro. It looks like I will need to use "Wine" to make that work with Linux. I can also just go back to Audacity, which will be easier given the new mic totally eliminating all background noise and the lessened need for processing of the sound.

I will also probably have to ditch OneDrive for something with a Linux application, like DropBox.

Now... Almost EVERYTHING else I do on a computer is just browser based, and the recognition of that makes me more committed to the transition to Linux.

Now, should I just dump the Macbook Air for a PC laptop if I decide to do this?

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Some of the services I need to make work properly include: Skype, OneDrive, Signal, Authy and Nord VPN.

NordVPN has a Linux client, and Skype has a Web version (web.skype.com). Authy and Signal also seem to have a Linux app (Debian based, so they will work fine on Mint or Ubuntu) judging by their websites. OneDrive is unusable on Linux though so you will have to switch as you said.

As for your Mac, you can install Linux on a Mac...is it a viable option? I don't know, but the possibility exists.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I'm Canadian, and don't know how it works for Americans, according to Trumps FB talking about not needing voter ID.. had to look into it myself.

View attachment 36326

Uh, what!? So I could literally walk across the border and vote in a no document required state!? Holy...

Maybe I'll try my luck for President in 2024... heck why not, we will M triple A, Make America Amazing Again.

Nice!

I run two computers personally... A Ryzen PC that I built myself on an MSI motherboard and also a Macbook Air for travel.

Every time I try some Linux distro, I ultimately tell my wife to shoot me before I try that again.

For the radio show, I run a software called Hindenberg Journalist Pro. It looks like I will need to use "Wine" to make that work with Linux. I will also probably have to ditch OneDrive for something with a Linux application, like DropBox.

Now... Almost EVERYTHING else I do on a computer is just browser based, and the recognition of that makes me more committed to the transition to Linux.

I would hang on the Macbook in case you need it in the future.

Debian is the "wide river" that most other Linux desktops derive from. It is hard-core open source, and a lot of fancy stuff doesn't work because they require non-open-source software. Things like graphics and audio cards that manufacturers wont reveal the details on. Don't use Debian unless you want to learn a ton about Linux.

Ubuntu is a good "Windows replacement", they are the dominant desktop Linux. It is based on the development branch of Debian, with proprietary drivers usually enabled and a nice default graphical environment.

Linux Mint is Ubuntu made to be even *more* like Windows, it is even easier to use for complete Newbies. Linux Mint can be *harder* to fix when it breaks, because LM is sitting on top of Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is sitting on top of Debian.

Pop OS! is a version on Ubuntu made by hardware manufacturer System76, optimized for their systems, and a few of the Ubuntu things removed. If you ever want to buy an actual "Linux laptop", I would suggest System76.

IMHO, the only way to learn Linux, is to run it - exclusively. You don't have to burn your boats on the beaches to prevent you from running back to Windows/Mac, but it helps. If you can run back to what you know, you'll never be forced to learn the new stuff. Once you do learn the new stuff, you'll never have to buy software again, and you will be the master of your computer.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
NordVPN has a Linux client, and Skype has a Web version (web.skype.com). Authy and Signal also seem to have a Linux app (Debian based, so they will work fine on Mint or Ubuntu) judging by their websites. OneDrive is unusable on Linux though so you will have to switch as you said.

As for your Mac, you can install Linux on a Mac...is it a viable option? I don't know, but the possibility exists.

You can install Linux on a Mac, but it is a waste of a Mac. You can also run MacOS on a non-Mac, but it is/was a pain in the butt.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Nice!

For the radio show, I run a software called Hindenberg Journalist Pro. It looks like I will need to use "Wine" to make that work with Linux. I can also just go back to Audacity, which will be easier given the new mic totally eliminating all background noise and the lessened need for processing of the sound.

I will also probably have to ditch OneDrive for something with a Linux application, like DropBox.

I would get a new SSD hard-drive for you Ryzen PC, and hang on to the old one with Windows on it. Then, just install Linux on the new SSD, and see if it works out. If not, just put in the old hard-drive.

If you have a "tower", maybe get a removable HD enclosure, and pop them in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2Y8P/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

517vwm7YwzL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
MacOS is a Nix-like. So one can learn the Unix shell on MacOS, while still benefiting from an easy OS. Then start using Linux for things it does better than MacOS. (Such as price.) Since both are Nix-like, one can keep a consistent environment.

Jumping straight into Linux without understanding the Unix shell is a bad idea. One should know either Emacs or Vim. Linux is ultimately controlled by text configuration files.

Mastery takes years at least. I now live in Emacs whether on MacOS or Linux. Accomplishing that on Windows requires a VM, so I have little reason to use Windows anymore.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I would get a new SSD hard-drive for you Ryzen PC, and hang on to the old one with Windows on it. Then, just install Linux on the new SSD, and see if it works out. If not, just put in the old hard-drive.

If you have a "tower", maybe get a removable HD enclosure, and pop them in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2Y8P/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

517vwm7YwzL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
It already has two hard drives... One giant spinning one for files and one M.2 for programs and operating systems.

My thought as of now is a partition on the M.2. Theoretically, Linux should see the second hard drive full of my files and allow access which would be cool. If Linux is a long term go, and that would require at least a month of using it for work without toying around with everything... Then I will delete the windows partition and expand the linux partition to the rest of the M.2.

The mac is used almost exclusively for browser based applications. So that wouldn't be a big deal as long as it works right.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
It already has two hard drives... One giant spinning one for files and one M.2 for programs and operating systems.

My thought as of now is a partition on the M.2. Theoretically, Linux should see the second hard drive full of my files and allow access which would be cool. If Linux is a long term go, and that would require at least a month of using it for work without toying around with everything... Then I will delete the windows partition and expand the linux partition to the rest of the M.2.

The mac is used almost exclusively for browser based applications. So that wouldn't be a big deal as long as it works right.

Rerpartioning and installing a Linux bootloader on your first (Windows) drive might be tricky, probably impossible if you use Bitlocker. I use to use Clonezilla to make an image copy of my C: hard-drive, before I tried to repartition it. I've just seen a lot of Windows machines rendered unbootable by trying to dual-boot Linux on them, so I avoid it now.

Could you split your big 2nd drive in to 2 partitions, one for Linux (Ext4) and one for Data (Fat32), then have your BIOS boot off the 2nd drive when you wanted to run Linux (change the default)? Linux might need a small 1GB boot partiton at the front of the drive, and then you could EXT4 and FAT32 partitions. Maybe a Linux swap partion, so 3-4 total partitions.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Rerpartioning and installing a Linux bootloader on your first (Windows) drive might be tricky, probably impossible if you use Bitlocker. I use to use Clonezilla to make an image copy of my C: hard-drive, before I tried to repartition it. I've just seen a lot of Windows machines rendered unbootable by trying to dual-boot Linux on them, so I avoid it now.

Could you split your big 2nd drive in to 2 partitions, one for Linux (Ext4) and one for Data (Fat32), then have your BIOS boot off the 2nd drive when you wanted to run Linux (change the default)? Linux might need a small 1GB boot partiton at the front of the drive, and then you could EXT4 and FAT32 partitions. Maybe a Linux swap partion, so 3-4 total partitions.
Actually, I am typing this on my Linux partition of that M.2 right now. I gave it about half of the space I had on it.

SO, I guess the hard part is over. If I like linux, I just expand this partition to the rest of that drive?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Actually, I am typing this on my Linux partition of that M.2 right now. I gave it about half of the space I had on it.

SO, I guess the hard part is over. If I like linux, I just expand this partition to the rest of that drive?

You did the hard part, lol. You could resize your partitions on your boot drive.

If your 2nd drive is all data, you could change the format type from NTFS to FAT32 (or exFAT), and use it from both your Windows and Linux boot partitions. The FAT32/exFAT partitions lack the security metadata that Windows and Linux usually use, so it would be easy for someone to read your data drive after booting off a USB stick or something. For example, if you have a bunch of movie and song files on your data drive, both OS's could play the media files, and read/write to the drive. I often do this, so when I change OS's, I don't have to copy over all my media files again. They just sit on the data drive when I reformat the boot drive.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Guys, can you make this section about Linux its own thread? I don’t understand all of it and I’d like to. I’m gonna use my iOS to Google a thing to switch to from the bad thing.. when I can figure those out. *cough

Last edited:

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Guys, can you make this section about Linux it’s own thread? I don’t understand all of it and I’d like to. I’m gonna use my iOS to Google a thing to switch to from the bad thing.. when I can figure those out. *cough
No need for code, you are probably on the TRACK list.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I second the request for a screw big tech go linux thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I second the request for a screw big tech go linux thread.

Taking suggestions for a thread title, I can move the posts into its own separate thread.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Taking suggestions for a thread title, I can move the posts into its own separate thread.

Maybe
  • "Switch to Open Source Software"
  • "Open Source Software"
  • "Open Source Switch"
?

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
One's first foray into Linux should NOT be dual booting Windows and Linux. It is a fragile arrangement and shouldn't be trusted in production, much less critical production. An intermediate user AT DUALBOOTING could use it for secondary production. E.g. a laptop that can fail because you have a desktop.

The substitute for Parler is Gab.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
1610415844242.png

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
One's first foray into Linux should NOT be dual booting Windows and Linux. It is a fragile arrangement and shouldn't be trusted in production, much less critical production. An intermediate user AT DUALBOOTING could use it for secondary production. E.g. a laptop that can fail because you have a desktop.

The substitute for Parler is Gab.
Don’t suggest that people be pussies. So long as their data is backed up, there is nothing to fear. I have fragged many-a Windows 10 machine attempting to dual boot Linux. All works out if you put in the time. GRUB and Windows boot loader don’t play nice. But it’s totally doable.

If you can build a business, building a Linux machine is elementary. Patience is the only requirement. Just don’t jeopardize your data.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
@Kak somewhere above you mentioned ditching OneDrive. Dropbox is widely used but Tresorit is superior. Check it out.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Beginner's guide to setting up a Linux machine

Linux thread: resources, products, and how to

Switching to Linux discussion

Linux setup: how, why, what to get

I want this thread.

Please teach me your secrets, oh Linux masters.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
I'll let native speakers come up with a title that makes sense, but maybe the thread could be more broadly about privacy issues, with Linux as a starting point. A computer OS is a big one, but it is also about emails, messaging apps, data storage, phones, browsers... Once you start thinking about it you can go very far.

Just a suggestion :peace:

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Don’t suggest that people be pussies. So long as their data is backed up, there is nothing to fear. I have fragged many-a Windows 10 machine attempting to dual boot Linux. All works out if you put in the time. GRUB and Windows boot loader don’t play nice. But it’s totally doable.

If you can build a business, building a Linux machine is elementary. Patience is the only requirement. Just don’t jeopardize your data.
I agree with you. This is how I got started to give Linux a try. Now that I'm convinced though, I want a cleaner setup. I'll just add a SSD and a HDD to my desktop so I have 1 SSD per OS + 1 HDD for file storage per OS. Sounds better to me than partitions on a single SSD, sharing files on a single HDD, eventhough this is definitely doable. Could prevent potential issues as well.

Whatever you do, always have a safe backup for your data indeed. OS and software stuff is fixable, lost data not always.

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
Don’t suggest that people be pussies. So long as their data is backed up, there is nothing to fear.

I'm sure all your computers are bi in the most macho sense possible.

However. If one does something risky to one's production machine, and downtime results, sometimes that causes problems in other areas of one's life, which were depending on said computer working.

Therefore critical production machines should be configured for reliability, not flexibility.

And since most people's personal IT infrastructure lacks robustness, the warning is a basic ethical necessity.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
New thread created, enjoy!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm sure all your computers are bi in the most macho sense possible.

However. If one does something risky to one's production machine, and downtime results, sometimes that causes problems in other areas of one's life, which were depending on said computer working.

Therefore critical production machines should be configured for reliability, not flexibility.

And since most people's personal IT infrastructure lacks robustness, the warning is a basic ethical necessity.

While I am not concerned in the slightest about hurting the computer... I actually agree! Making sure my business and communications are flawless is of upmost importance.

That said, in the unlikely event that I happen to fry this M.2 drive, I will just buy another.

My data is backed up all kinds of ways. I could throw this computer in a lake and still finish the work day.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So, where I am at with this...

F11 boot menu won't work with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so I have a crappy old corded keyboard to do that with.

Tried Ubuntu yesterday, got as far as installing my Opera browser and it installed it twice. Once like normal and another one that was all corrupt. I also couldn't remove the corrupt one from the system. It then decided to not let me install anything.

Tried Mint today, it won't run my screen at 60htz even with the Nividia drivers installed. Deal broken.

Tried Ubuntu again today, install wouldn't finish this time. LOL

As you can see, I am remembering why this pisses me off. Meanwhile, my Windows partition is smooth sailing and gets work done.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
So, where I am at with this...

F11 boot menu won't work with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so I have a crappy old corded keyboard to do that with.

Tried Ubuntu yesterday, got as far as installing my Opera browser and it installed it twice. Once like normal and another one that was all corrupt. I also couldn't remove the corrupt one from the system. It then decided to not let me install anything.

Tried Mint today, it won't run my screen at 60htz even with the Nividia drivers installed. Deal broken.

Tried Ubuntu again today, install wouldn't finish this time. LOL

As you can see, I am remembering why this pisses me off. Meanwhile, my Windows partition is smooth sailing and gets work done.
While you try to resolve your issues with Linux, I suggest working on your Windows system if you haven't already.

The most important thing is to disable telemetery (your pc sends data to Microsoft constantly), check how to do it here, especially Method 2 and 3.

I don't know if you can actually disable all of the telemetery for good, perhaps someone with deeper knowledge of Windows can chime in and let us know, but this is a good first step to regain some privacy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.