The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bad mentors = Stunted growth

Anything related to matters of the mind

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
So i've been in here getting ready for my rat race job ( Its temporary dont worry) and noticed the idea that had been holding me back all these years. Back when i was 15 i started my journey to chase my dreams of music and early on i was found by a few people who had worked with some big names in the rap industry . So as a young producer i soaked up everything i could get from them.

And i remember vividly 1 tweet someone i respected sent out that said "If your product is good enough money will find you" . And these were the words i lived by for YEARS. I spent SOOOOOOO much time perfecting my product and not actually tryna get it sold because i was in the mindset of "if i make my product the best people will find me"

Of course throughout the years i've made some sales , gained some loyal customers and have had fun doing it. but in 7 years ive only made about $10-15k if that. I seen people WAYYYY worse then me take off and id always be like "Man i KNOW im better then him why is he so successful" little did i know that it was my way of thinking that was holding me back . If i would have focused on getting my product to the people more then perfecting my product then id probably be rich as my producer homies now.

My point is that bad info at early stages of your journey can HIGHLY screw you over so be careful who you listen to.

This whole realization this morning was eye opening. I love those random moments of clarity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
That's funny, I was thinking of this exact same thing today.

We all make our decisions on who to listen to and what to take action on of course, but one of my mentors had his hands dipped in a million projects at once.

This led me to try and start up two businesses at the same time that crashed and burned, because I was following in his footsteps. I was inspired by the success he had earlier, where he was actually focused like a laser on ONE thing, and I look back at any success I've had and they've been the same way.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
That's funny, I was thinking of this exact same thing today.

We all make our decisions on who to listen to and what to take action on of course, but one of my mentors had his hands dipped in a million projects at once.

This led me to try and start up two businesses at the same time that crashed and burned, because I was following in his footsteps. I was inspired by the success he had earlier, where he was actually focused like a laser on ONE thing, and I look back at any success I've had and they've been the same way.
Exactly . When you're just starting out you wanna learn and emulate from those you look but to. But if you emulate without getting or understanding the details then it will mess you over

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
So i've been in here getting ready for my rat race job ( Its temporary dont worry) and noticed the idea that had been holding me back all these years. Back when i was 15 i started my journey to chase my dreams of music and early on i was found by a few people who had worked with some big names in the rap industry . So as a young producer i soaked up everything i could get from them.

And i remember vividly 1 tweet someone i respected sent out that said "If your product is good enough money will find you" . And these were the words i lived by for YEARS. I spent SOOOOOOO much time perfecting my product and not actually tryna get it sold because i was in the mindset of "if i make my product the best people will find me"

Of course throughout the years i've made some sales , gained some loyal customers and have had fun doing it. but in 7 years ive only made about $10-15k if that. I seen people WAYYYY worse then me take off and id always be like "Man i KNOW im better then him why is he so successful" little did i know that it was my way of thinking that was holding me back . If i would have focused on getting my product to the people more then perfecting my product then id probably be rich as my producer homies now.

My point is that bad info at early stages of your journey can HIGHLY screw you over so be careful who you listen to.

This whole realization this morning was eye opening. I love those random moments of clarity.

I know this 50 years old developer that puts a lot of effort into developing big software products that no one ever used and he keeps repeating same thing : "Build a quality product and people will use it" ...

NO, THEY WON'T, because you never asked them !

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I know this 50 years old developer that puts a lot of effort into developing big software products that no one ever used and he keeps repeating same thing : "Build a quality product and people will use it" ...

NO, THEY WON'T, because you never asked them !
This is exactly it

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
"If your product is good enough money will find you"
I spent SOOOOOOO much time perfecting my product and not actually tryna get it sold because i was in the mindset of "if i make my product the best people will find me"

Sometimes when you're starting out, the biggest obstacle is knowing what to, and what not to take literally

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Everything that you experience in life is part of your learning. Accept that and move forward.

Blaming others places you into a "victim" mode.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Sometimes when you're starting out, the biggest obstacle is knowing what to, and what not to take literally
It's hard tho specially when you don't know better , I understand this now , but I made this thread to inform the noob robots

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Everything that you experience in life is part of your learning. Accept that and move forward.

Exactly , knowing where u failed at is important . Just don't dwell on the failure , keep it going , or keep it GROWING , failure is a setup for a win

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Exactly , knowing where u failed at is important . Just don't dwell on the failure , keep it going , or keep it GROWING , failure is a setup for a win

Steve O nailed it. Check out some Brian Tracey material. He is great at teaching personal responsibility and having 100% control over everything that happens to you.

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
Well imagine you had money to put and waste ... I would not call it just experience from which to learn - you lose actual money and time. In the long term may turn out to be positive, but I've seen such people, too - made money on company that is not bringing revenue anymore, they decide to make a startup, they give very high salaries to everyone and not listen to any critique ... 2-3 years down the line and a grown up close to retiring has nothing. Or the opposite, a guy i know spent 60K to develop some product, and flew to US to pitch for it ... ZERO interest and these were his last money, next he crashed with his car, couldn't buy another one , was using a bike :)

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Well imagine you had money to put and waste ... I would not call it just experience from which to learn - you lose actual money and time. In the long term may turn out to be positive, but I've seen such people, too - made money on company that is not bringing revenue anymore, they decide to make a startup, they give very high salaries to everyone and not listen to any critique ... 2-3 years down the line and a grown up close to retiring has nothing. Or the opposite, a guy i know spent 60K to develop some product, and flew to US to pitch for it ... ZERO interest and these were his last money, next he crashed with his car, couldn't buy another one , was using a bike :)
But the point is . Learn the CORRECT process and formula to do it THE RIGHT WAY FIRST then u can't loose , most the time people fail because they don't grow adapt and learn , things are ALWAYS changing and sticking to old ways will F*ck you over and getting into somethin knowing little to nothing about it will F*ck you over , if you learn to do it the correct way you won't loose . That's just the facts

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Follow the right people and unfollow the rest. It took me 5 years to figure it out.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
One of the problems is that, when you're inexperienced, you don't have the capacity to know what is 'good' advice and what is 'bad' advice. So the inexperienced are likely to take what someone says as gospel.

You can't really blame a bad mentor (unless the mentor really screwed you over. This has happened on the forum in the past) until you're able to see for yourself in hindsight.

Learn the CORRECT process and formula to do it THE RIGHT WAY FIRST then u can't loose

This is so wrong and I apologize for calling you out. There's more than one way to skin a cat in every business out there, and again, if you're inexperienced, you can't possibly know what the right way (that is, the most likely avenue for success) is. All you can do is follow general advice until you're able to blaze your own path (TM).

And even if you do everything 'right', you can still lose because there are no guarantees. All you can do is skew the probabilities closer to your favor.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
And even if you do everything 'right', you can still lose because there are no guarantees. All you can do is skew the probabilities closer to your favor.
But dosent that imply that business is "luck" based tho ? I don't believe that . business is formula based . If you do what you are supposed to do you cant not succeed

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Instead of following advice 100%, do your due diligence and make your own decisions.
Listen to all. Ask good questions. Thank them. Process / think about it. Make your own decisions. Live with the results.

You sound like Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights......
Ricky Bobby: Wait, Dad. Don’t you remember the time you told me “If you ain’t first, you’re last”?
Reese Bobby: Huh? What are you talking about, Son?
Ricky Bobby: That day at school.
Reese Bobby: Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn’t make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth… hell you can even be fifth.
Ricky Bobby: What? I’ve lived my whole life by that!

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Instead of following advice 100%, do your due diligence and make your own decisions.
Listen to all. Ask good questions. Thank them. Process / think about it. Make your own decisions. Live with the results.

Ricky Bobby: Wait, Dad. Don’t you remember the time you told me “If you ain’t first, you’re last”?
Reese Bobby: Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn’t make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth… hell you can even be fifth.
Lmfaoooo it's crazy cus I just watched that movie last night wich is probably why I had this relization , I'm soooo glad I learned better . This thread was a testament of "Please learn better b4 you dedicate your whole career to 1 ideal"

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

You sure you don't have a little bit of Kanye in you? :)

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
You sure you don't have a little bit of Kanye in you? :)
I'm SURE i do lmao , that is one of my favorite producers and I love his "I do what I want " attitude

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I had to get to the point where I stopped blaming external influences, external factors, and external barriers.

Until I got to that point, I always had a reason external of myself as to why I wasn't successful enough.

And that displacement allowed me the freedom to continue to suck.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I had to get to the point where I stopped blaming external influences, external factors, and external barriers.

Until I got to that point, I always had a reason external of myself as to why I wasn't successful enough.

And that displacement allowed me the freedom to continue to suck.
This ^^^ after your take accountability for your own choices you win , or atleast give yourself the opportunity to grow exponentially

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I'm SURE i do lmao , that is one of my favorite producers and I love his "I do what I want " attitude

He does have that attitude.

Not a big fan. He whines a lot, blames others for his lack of recognition, and barges in on other's moments of glory.

He seems to be a hard worker but with a huge chip on his shoulder. Believes he is owed something.

I hope you get your success. I hope you get to where it's all on you, not anyone else. I also hope you allow others to shine around you as well.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

Word.

Legit "mentors" are mentors precisely because they have already "made it."

If you're looking for a "mentee," you probably haven't made it yet.

You can't pull yourself up when you're pointing the finger at others for your own circumstances.

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA

Haha hahah . Perfect quote for this post .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.