The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bad Day At The DMV...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Stopped by the DMV a little bit ago. It was renewal registration time. Seems like people hate the DMV. I've hated it in the past..when I had a job. Time slips by. Money lost. You never have all the paperwork they need. But the DMV isn't so bad anymore. Didn't have to fit them into my break. Nobody was hawk-eyeing my timecard.

HOW TO SUCCEED AT THE DMV

I perused their website beforehand. Found out their hours so I didn't show up too early. Read through the registration requirements. We'd lost our original registration, but I had time to send off for a new one. Read up on their fees so I knew exactly how much we'd be charged. Printed insurance. Checked for my license. Put copies in a notebook and off I went.

9:30. Only one person in line ahead of me. I sat down with the service rep. Handed her my paperwork in order. No rush. No frantic time checking. Maybe 10 minutes total and I was on my way.

Wasn't much talking during this time, expect the guy next to me. He was cracking nervous little jokes -- the kind you crack when you want to distract someone from something. He'd just bought a truck. Got through most of the process unscathed until the cashier told him the amount he owed for excise tax.

SURPRISE YOU OWE MONEY

His voice trembled, "say that again?" Out of the corner of my eye I saw his expression go from smiling jester to that look you get when Starbucks declines your card with people behind you in line.

The man fumbled around. Fidgeting hands. "I didn't expect it to be so much." He said he might have to use a check, but didn't have any on him. "How long do I have before this has to be paid?" Three weeks. He fumbled some more but answers didn't come. Clearly he wasn't used to thinking ahead. That's when he went full sidewalk...

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?

"Why is it so much?" He asked.
The cashier explained it's based on purchase price.

"But why?" He continued, "I didn't buy it from a dealership, I bought it from a person."
Again the cashier explained it doesn't matter who you bought it from, it's an excise tax based on the purchase price of the vehicle.

Now he looked upset. He made her explain this at least two more times before asking, "What even is excise tax?" The cashier explained, but the man just returned to "why?" What he was really saying was, "Why is this happening to me?"

Eventually he was overwhelmed. Time lost. Money lost. More money lost. With irritation seething through his teeth, he threw in the towel, "I'll have to come back later." He got up and stormed out the door.

At least he had that fancy new truck to peel off in...

THIS WASN'T A MONEY ISSUE

It was a mindset issue. Had the man bothered to find out how much taxes might be before buying his truck, he might not have this problem right now. If he could afford the truck he bought, he'd just whip out his debit card and be done with it. But he wasn't prepared, and didn't have access to that kind of cash.

All of this got me thinking about that old quote, "how you do one thing is how you do everything." It reminded me why how my business has progressed over the years. It reminded me why how my visits to the DMV have gone from teeth-grinding, multi-round trips, to zen mastery in-and-outs in under 10 minutes. It also reminded me why how I don't have problems with vehicle taxes.

It's mindset.
It's process.
It's due diligence.
It's not taking shortcuts.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the experience with you. What hard things require your due diligence today? Will the shortcuts you're thinking about taking work for you, or against you tomorrow? Is your short term personal gratification worth the years of pain it might cause later? Or is your short term pain worth the years of personal gratification later? How you grow is up to you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not a surprising story. Thanks for sharing.

"Why is this happening to me?"

Because he's a fiscal dumb-a$$. But yea, at least he has that shiny new truck (minus the registration for 3 weeks.)

Reminds me of the dudes who buy six-figure exotic cars only to whine about the big insurance costs and $300 oil changes.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
This guy, bumped into the edge of freedom...

Paying tax on a used item that has already been sold with tax only to be bought from another person with money leftover that has been taxed.. and the item can only be legally used once more licensing and taxes have been paid...

So the case can be made that the clerk and Sinisterlex are the good sheep following the rules.. where as the guy just found another part of the system that is messed up...

If enough people get fed up and the why is forced to be answered or changed... oh look a squirrel... yeah that will never happen...

Feels more like one of those when do you notice the system moments...

Not sure how far along he got but he might be going back another day and location with a lower purchase price, depending on how they look up or rate the tax.. I might be giving him too much credit though...

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
How’s
Not a surprising story. Thanks for sharing.

Because he's a fiscal dumb-a$$. But yea, at least he has that shiny new truck (minus the registration for 3 weeks.)

Reminds me of the dudes who buy six-figure exotic cars only to whine about the big insurance costs and $300 oil changes.
So aggravating. Here in MA excise tax is billed annually, and not at the time of registration. It’s $25 per $1,000 that the vehicle is valued at.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve known people who lease a $50k car, only to be totally appalled when the excise tax bill shows up in the mail.

I can’t even imagine the MA excise tax on an exotic car... and I’m sure side-walking “rich” are still baffled and panicked when the bill shows up.

It’s the same scenario where someone with a poor driving record leases a vehicle, only to find out they’re required to acquire full coverage insurance to the tune of $500/month on top of their $600 car payment.

Due diligence is key. And common F*cking sense.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.