The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

B2B Businesses

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Ever since I read MJ's story (where he recommends B2B businesses), I've been trying to brainstorm ideas for a business of the sort. I'm having some trouble though. All of the business ideas I have seem to solve a consumer need, not a business need.

How can I get myself to focus more on the needs of a business rather than a consumer? Does anyone have some examples of some B2B business systems that can get me headed in the right direction?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
get a job in a business

The reason why you find many examples of B2C is cause you have been a C all of your life
If you have not had experience in working for a B then you have no idea what problems exist, hence, no solutions can occur to you.

Remember MJ's post? Find solutions and the money will come... it is not about "what business makes me money". It is about what problems are you solving.

(Disclosure: I have been an employee for more than 10 years now and still have not come up with a successful business idea out of it, so I probably am not the right person to talk about this)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
get a job in a business

:iagree:This is how you expose the need.

I know it might not be what you want to hear, but often times getting a job is a prelude to exposing an opportunity. One of my jobs exposed my opportunity.

One of the guys here is an accountant and saw a need in his industry and is working on a solution.

You don't need to limit yourself to B2B -- B2C can be just as effective as evidenced by the 17 year old girl who is making a killing (referenced in the other thread). Personally, I prefer B2B for internet services and will always feel so. (However writing and marketing a book is B2C so one might feel I am contradicting myself).

I wouldn't focus on the distribution type but moreso on the need/problem you are solving and/or doing better.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Here are some ideas where you can look for routes to find opportunities for your own business. You don't need to concentrate on only B2B, as B2C can be just as good.
  1. Look in the mirror. What do you do well? That skill could be the basis for a big-money business.
  2. Look within your family. Is there a family business you can take over? Or can you go to work for the family business, learn everything, and start your own?
  3. Look in your present company. Can you start a business doing something that your company isn't? Is there a market your company should be serving, but isn't?
  4. Look at any ideas your company rejects or dismisses, or tries to do and fails. These are often small-business opportunities.
  5. Read magazines on franchises to get some ideas, and start a company in an industry that is growing rapidly.
  6. Provide ethnic products and services. Look at growing ethnic populations and sell what they want the way they want it. For example, what products do folks buy in Mexico that they can't get in the U.S.?
  7. Health-care services of all kinds are needed and growing as people age.
  8. Watch the skills-oriented television channels, such as those that feature home repair, gardening and decorating. These shows represent trends and popular ideas. Is there a business organizing customers' garages? Is there a business providing flower-and-shrub-garden planting maps over the Internet? Is there a business managing the personal administrative affairs of busy people, where both spouses work, or travel extensively, or own multiple homes, or any combination of lifestyles that make organization a must?
  9. Accountants, trust lawyers, corporate-loan officers, business brokers and the classified ads are sources of leads on companies for sale that may inspire you to start something similar.
  10. Look at a business you like. Can you run one like it but better? The business you noticed on a recent trip: Is there a similar one where you live, and is there a need?
  11. Follow through on one of your old ideas, one you've been telling people about for years. Dig up your school project that outlined a new business idea.
If you think you know a better way to give a company or consumer what they want or need, you're probably correct. Brush off comments or "advice" such as "That's been done before" or "That's already been tried." Those thoughts are idea killers. Ignore them.

I hope this will trigger your mind in to coming up with a business you can start.

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Totally agree....my "main" business ideas ( I have tons) come from my experience in the various things I have done as an employee. If it's any consolation, "stupid" ideas can make insane money. A perfect example is the LiveStrong bracelet...glorified yellow rubber band for a dollar a piece. I think it was MJ that made reference some time back to the scalp massagers; those copper wires attached to a wooden base, with like a 3000% markup. Just some random thoughts.

-Jason

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
Ideas are a dime a dozen. Problems and issues to solve are all over the place. Keep your mind, ears, and eyes open. Utilize other people's talents to start something. Good businesspeople/entrepreneurs are hard to come by.

There are too many examples, but the guy who started bluenile.com did so b/c the process of finding an engagement ring was frustrating for him at the local stores.

Richard Branson started his airline b/c he was on standby. He rented a jet, sold the seats, and made money.

Just a couple of thoughts. The key is taking those ideas and turning them into something.

K.I.S.S.

Joe

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ideas are a dime a dozen. Problems and issues to solve are all over the place. Keep your mind, ears, and eyes open. Utilize other people's talents to start something. Good businesspeople/entrepreneurs are hard to come by.

There are too many examples, but the guy who started bluenile.com did so b/c the process of finding an engagement ring was frustrating for him at the local stores.

Richard Branson started his airline b/c he was on standby. He rented a jet, sold the seats, and made money.

Just a couple of thoughts. The key is taking those ideas and turning them into something.

K.I.S.S.

Joe

Just to add to the above, on my recent trip to Chicago while traveling I uncovered countless needs.

On the plane, I was bored. I would have paid to rent a game-boy from the airline. You can rent in the airport things like this, but on the plane? Captive audience.

Getting my bags .... I watched my bags come off over baggage claim, I observed dozens of people struggling to find their bag because all of them looked the same. The idea came to me: Inexpensive, customized luggage easily distinguishable in a pile. Is it being done? Who knows. If so, its not being marketed well, is too expensive, or lacks distribution.

Or, just a luggage identifier instead of using ribbon or some colored belt.

Or, cater to people in the Fastlane - custom luggage designed to their specifications. The Lamborghini of Luggage.

Just some random thoughts I had on a typical day. Every day I come up with business ideas simply based on what I observe. In a week, dozens. I'm sure 1 or 2 of them have the potential to hit big assuming further research validates the need.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
The only "job" I've had is really working in my dad's office (he's a chiropractor/acupuncturist). Next time I do that, I'll keep my eyes open for some potential needs I could fulfill with a business; preferably using an online business system.

I've also been considering sending out some surveys to some local businesses asking them about some of their needs to see if I could come up with a way to fulfill them.

Any thoughts?

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
One B2B business I was thinking of starting is a promotional products company. Also, remember like Peter2 said, there's lots of healthcare services people will need. Also there could be financial services business opportunities.

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
In my experience, I didnt try to re invent the wheel, what i did was start in with a couple clients, on the ground floor, took the few opportunites they gave me and made the best of them. I built relationships with the key people who took note of the quality,swiftness & integrity i brought to the table. During the next 6 months i noted how they had trouble with other companies around my metro area in getting work done on time.. While noting that, I started to network with other individuals and companies that were looking for subcontracts. I then made known to the clients that my company is now in the position to cover the entire metro area at the same service levels i maintained.. They were estatic, & I then learned that by solving their problems in other areas of the metro area made them profits as well as for myself...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.