The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How many stores do you have now? And how long did it take you to attain consistency with it?
I really just have one main brand and two stores with this brand.

I have an additional store that I'm relaunching next year.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Shri Kanase

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Feb 19, 2019
I really just have one main brand and two stores with this brand.

I have an additional store that I'm relaunching next year.
What do you suggest when choosing a niche to brand around? My current niche, couples and relationship accessories like bracelets, shirts, etc., turned out to be a little seasonal, mostly selling in Jan-Feb time (6 figures in sales during this time). I really wanted something that would be consistent year-round but I feel stuck with this store now.

Is there anything you can recommend? Would really appreciate it.

John2016

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
May 23, 2019
Hello @biophase, thank you very much for your great effort on this thread. Here is a question, did you have any experience on working with manufactures from 1688.com? I prefer not to work through sourcing agent, but have concern about the scams.

PippoW

New Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Alot has changed since my Ask me about Ecommerce AMA from 2012, so I thought I'd do an updated AMA as some of the answers in the previous thread are now outdated. The online marketplace has shifted greatly in the past couple years. Some examples of what has changed:
  • Google Shopping is now at the top of your search results, so ranking #1 for a specific term is not as valuable as before. I don't do anymore SEO.
  • Big box stores like Amazon, Walmart and Target now dominate the results whereas before smaller niche stores did.
  • Amazon is now the place to be in Ecommerce.
  • A huge shift has happened from dropshipping to importing and branding.
So go ahead and ask away!
4 years have passed. What changed during this time with Amazon, Google Shopping, SEO etc.?

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
4 years have passed. What changed during this time with Amazon, Google Shopping, SEO etc.?
This

and this

might be interesting for you.

Busch_Jager

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Morgantown, WV
Do you only consider buying from manufacturers? I have found a great product but can only find it from companies listed as "trading companies" on Alibaba and not manufacturers. I cannot find the source factory for this product just a bunch of middlemen basically, even though they do offer attractive prices. Should I proceed? I already have samples from one and they are offering a good price but I want to make changes which I fear may be too complicated through a middleman.

Sethamus

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Hey @biophase
I am just wanting your opinion...even though I will make the final decision and this is my business I feel an experience seller could tell me if I am just being stupid and wasting time.
Little background - 1st product of a brand I will start (just not sure how narrow that focus needs to be, but that is for another time) and started this FBA before I found the forums so am learning additional info here and from the program I am already part of.

I received samples from 3 suppliers, and I have 2 I would work with, but I feel stuck in my decision. 1st supplier does not have any customers for exact product and cannot acquire hardware that is already out on one competitor, so I would have to pay for a custom mold delaying manufacturing time and meeting MOQ's for hardware. 2nd supplier has what I need as they make this product for another seller, though it still needs minor tweaks to paint finish for my standards.
I will be adding some extra hardware and design upgrades no matter the supplier I go with to improve the product.

Am I right in thanking it might be worth taking longer and going with a manufacturer who isn't selling the same product to other suppliers currently, even though more hoops to jump through? Or, should I go with supplier 2 which would get product to AMZ faster with my changes, and just risk that they share my improvements with the competitors? This is my first test product and if it does decent I will ramp up other similar products to make a brand. So in the long run, someone will copy me no matter what, but hopefully by that time I have multiple products out supporting the brand.

Any opinions appreciated.

-Seth

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What do you suggest when choosing a niche to brand around? My current niche, couples and relationship accessories like bracelets, shirts, etc., turned out to be a little seasonal, mostly selling in Jan-Feb time (6 figures in sales during this time). I really wanted something that would be consistent year-round but I feel stuck with this store now.

Is there anything you can recommend? Would really appreciate it.
If you are asking about how to pick another niche, that's the question everyone has. I can't really answer that for you.

Hello @biophase, thank you very much for your great effort on this thread. Here is a question, did you have any experience on working with manufactures from 1688.com? I prefer not to work through sourcing agent, but have concern about the scams.
I have no experience with them.

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Do you only consider buying from manufacturers? I have found a great product but can only find it from companies listed as "trading companies" on Alibaba and not manufacturers. I cannot find the source factory for this product just a bunch of middlemen basically, even though they do offer attractive prices. Should I proceed? I already have samples from one and they are offering a good price but I want to make changes which I fear may be too complicated through a middleman.
You can start with the "trading company" and them look for the manufacturer afterwards.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @biophase
I am just wanting your opinion...even though I will make the final decision and this is my business I feel an experience seller could tell me if I am just being stupid and wasting time.
Little background - 1st product of a brand I will start (just not sure how narrow that focus needs to be, but that is for another time) and started this FBA before I found the forums so am learning additional info here and from the program I am already part of.

I received samples from 3 suppliers, and I have 2 I would work with, but I feel stuck in my decision. 1st supplier does not have any customers for exact product and cannot acquire hardware that is already out on one competitor, so I would have to pay for a custom mold delaying manufacturing time and meeting MOQ's for hardware. 2nd supplier has what I need as they make this product for another seller, though it still needs minor tweaks to paint finish for my standards.
I will be adding some extra hardware and design upgrades no matter the supplier I go with to improve the product.

Am I right in thanking it might be worth taking longer and going with a manufacturer who isn't selling the same product to other suppliers currently, even though more hoops to jump through? Or, should I go with supplier 2 which would get product to AMZ faster with my changes, and just risk that they share my improvements with the competitors? This is my first test product and if it does decent I will ramp up other similar products to make a brand. So in the long run, someone will copy me no matter what, but hopefully by that time I have multiple products out supporting the brand.

Any opinions appreciated.

-Seth
I would go with the 2nd one and then switch to the 1st one after I've proven that I can sell the product.

UK.SteRioN

New Contributor
Sep 5, 2019
Having had a multitude of discussions with my partner, lifes philosophy and a mixture of our skill set I managed to arrive at a potential niche. Implementation would involve my technical expertise with her ability to find the right products and also to push the sales.

My question on the e-commerce front is more based around the best platform for this to take place. This is in a category you wouldn't necessarily search amazon for as a product. Sales would originally be more based around social media and through current friend networking. On that basis but with the possibility of upscaling what would your recommendation be?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom