The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Area with the Most Demand?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
I've dabbled in several programming languages (HTML, CSS, Java, C++) over the years, and I had two questions.

The first, and I think I will probably get a lot of different answers, but which language gives you the most bang for your buck? Is there one that is absolutely worth taking a Udemy course and absorbing as much as you can? I was reading an old Graycode Gold thread that mentioned HTML, CSS and RoR. But what are you building with that? Don't you need Java these days for web?

Second question is what type of product gives the biggest chance to Fastlane? I know Fox is killing it with Web Design, but isn't that more a freelance job that he's made great by courses and consulting? Do you target web design, app development, or even more SaaS type websites? Is it better to learn front end or backend? I don't want to spend a ton of time learning backend to only be getting freelance jobs and basically creating another slowlane. Is there an area right now that demand is ramping up and has space for someone to learn and jump in?

This will probably get buried pretty quickly, but I just had my 4th FTE of my career today and I'm done. Enough excuses, I want to actually start something in the next couple of weeks, and I want to make sure it's at least in the semi correct direction. I know I'm going to have to spend a lot of time learning up front, so I want to do this sooner rather than later.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
which language gives you the most bang for your buck? Is there one that is absolutely worth taking a Udemy course and absorbing as much as you can?
A programming language is just a tool. It doesn't matter what tool you use. Just use the tool that you're good with to get the job done.

No, you don't need Java for the web these days.

I don't want to spend a ton of time learning backend to only be getting freelance jobs and basically creating another slowlane.
Then create something that separates yourself from time and working in the business. Hire employees if you want to start an agency. You don't have to do things yourself forever.

Is there an area right now that demand is ramping up and has space for someone to learn and jump in?
That's not something someone can answer for you. You're going to have to look for opportunities yourself.

Just go out there and find ways to provide value to people and help them.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've dabbled in several programming languages (HTML, CSS, Java, C++) over the years, and I had two questions.

The first, and I think I will probably get a lot of different answers, but which language gives you the most bang for your buck? Is there one that is absolutely worth taking a Udemy course and absorbing as much as you can? I was reading an old Graycode Gold thread that mentioned HTML, CSS and RoR. But what are you building with that? Don't you need Java these days for web?

Second question is what type of product gives the biggest chance to Fastlane? I know Fox is killing it with Web Design, but isn't that more a freelance job that he's made great by courses and consulting? Do you target web design, app development, or even more SaaS type websites? Is it better to learn front end or backend? I don't want to spend a ton of time learning backend to only be getting freelance jobs and basically creating another slowlane. Is there an area right now that demand is ramping up and has space for someone to learn and jump in?

This will probably get buried pretty quickly, but I just had my 4th FTE of my career today and I'm done. Enough excuses, I want to actually start something in the next couple of weeks, and I want to make sure it's at least in the semi correct direction. I know I'm going to have to spend a lot of time learning up front, so I want to do this sooner rather than later.
Use the skills you already have to help people, get paid for it, then figure out how to scale?

Learn as you do the above rather than immersing yourself in a Udemy course?

If you are going to learn something first, then maybe marketing/sales rather than another programming language?

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
@ItsAJackal if I remember correctly, you're doing nearly 80 hour work weeks in your day job and then you're too exhausted to do anything else?

I'd start by letting go of some of it to create space for other things and to engage with other people. Needs and opportunities are out there but if you keep your nose to the grindstone every minute of being awake, you won't have a chance to notice.

I cosign everything said up thread, good advice. You'll gain a lot just by engaging with the world outside your current reality and helping one person at a time. Don't worry about CENTS just yet. At this stage, you simply need different reference experiences to start noticing different paths to daylight, making new meaningful connections and forming new habits.

Good luck!

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Use the skills you already have to help people, get paid for it, then figure out how to scale?

Learn as you do the above rather than immersing yourself in a Udemy course?

If you are going to learn something first, then maybe marketing/sales rather than another programming language?
I agree, learning sales and marketing can actually be pretty helpful in the long run, regardless of what you choose to do.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
Take a junior position in a web agency then take it from there when you're ready. You'll see directly what's in demand and see first hand the basics of the industry. Put an example node.js + react project on github with an instance running on heroku and put those links top of your resume when you apply. Bonus points if you run them past a mid level dev for pointers and make exactly the changes they suggest first.

If you must run before you walk, which you probably shouldn't, you can join the hordes of entry WordPress devs hawking to small businesses, and learn how to marginally hack a WordPress mess together, which some poor guy will have slapped on his plate once the client's business starts generating some revenue and they need a bigger brand outsource to kick along their half dead dog of a website.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great question, it might be good to look at websites that are successful and research what they are using.

Grab some data and make a judgment on what you see.

Good luck with the first step on your journey.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.