The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are Forums Making a Comeback?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Will social networking bring forums back into vogue? Or destroy it?

One would argue, Forums are a Web 1.0 type of medium. However, with the advent of microblogging and social networks, it seems that people are immersing themselves into communities with very shallow, surface relationships. It would seem that forums would extend itself to this need to creating deeper relationships... social networks have the ability to create surface relationships, while forums create the depth.

Your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
The great content will win. You can't have great content in 140 characters.

If the forums contain great content then they will prevail.

Also, forums provide some "anonymity" and that is good depending on the topics, while facebook and other social sites is YOU, not an alter ego.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
What a great analysis Andres! ++rep

Where was I when forums went out of style? Could this mean that I am not as hip and with it as I think I am?! Oh great, next thing I know you'll be telling me my acid washed jeans aren't in style either. ;)

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Relationship won't solve problems. At least not computer problems, financial problems or almost any problems.

When you are sick, you go to doctors. When you can't find answers, you search Google. Where does social network exist in those situation? None.

You may be able to post few questions on Twitter, facebook and myspace, but you will end up finding answers from forum, discussion group and other web sites or blogs. Even you get some short answers from Twitter with links. Where do those links lead you to?

Like Andviv said. Quality content is always the king.

Social network for me more like a business card, a resume and a secret hand shake. You still got really work / business to do to keep the relationship going.

NICK870123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 1, 2008
England
I just launched a forum, because first I wanted to use social networking sites to connect with the "specific niche community" and i could not get deeper relationships. As there was the odd one line comment and very basic info in the social networking site.

Plus points for a forum is that you can build deep and meaningfull relationships with the community and is more family based like the fast lane. My personal opinion is that social networking sites like twitter and facebook would divide the relationship gaps between a breif community (with not much good content) and a more deep and knowledgeable community like a forum.

Quality in Forum= GREAT
Quality in Social Networking site= Poor (Very Brief and sometimes poor content- exchanges of messages- i.e. status updates- which your likely to forget, whereas in a forum everyone can join in a discussion topic and have there say no matter how long it is)

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
I did not know they had fallen behind. I use both equally and probably started using both at the same time. I joined my first social network in 2001 and my first forum in 2002. They both are equally important in different ways in my opinion.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Forums are for information. Social networks are for people.

You have to go all the way to the core of the engine. Forums aren't "coming back" per say, but they will never disappear. Because people join/look at forums for source of information.

Social networks on the other hand are a way for people to connect with people. Not necessarily a source for information.

Both are different beats. They do share the same "customer or membership" base but are not competitive. Example; BodyBuilding.com. They operate a forum, and also BodySpace, a social network. I, a "gym rat" myself, can attest that these two forms of communication go hand in hand very well. I look for information through their forum, and look at pictures and personal progress through their social network.

Last edited:

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Social Networking sites are now sites. If it happened ten minutes ago, it is already old news. There is more of a personal aspect with individual bio pages that are more prevalent on social sites.

Forums are like archives. They involve more detailed discussions.

SN is like passing by someone on the street and waving hello, forums are like stopping for a chat over a cup of joe.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.