The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Javascript Making A Comeback?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For a long period of time, the enriched-web juggernaut known as Adobe Flash seemed like it would remain the unchallenged king of the proverbial mountain. With the introduction of libraries such as jQuery and MooTools, it seems JavaScript, a once-haggard, much-maligned competitor could be making a comeback in the face of insurmountable odds. So,...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
jCuYyWDEwHU

More...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Heh, this article sounds like it was written in 2006, with some quotes thrown in by Jobs as of recent against flash. It hardly says much of any relevance.

It's not like JavaScript was ever dead to begin with. It's always allowed a certain type of interaction, without the clunkiness of flash.

Now, with the introduction of things like the canvas tag in HTML5 it's possible we could start seeing more games created with that and JavaScript. Whether it will 'overtake' flash made games is still very far off just due to the 'terrible' performance of JavaScript at the moment. It really isn't handled well enough in any browser, yet, to do even simple things a lot of games do without a terrible decrease in performance.

One example is if you take an image, draw only a small part of it, and then also scale the image by even 1 pixel performance drops horribly after drawing 10 of them. This shouldn't happen, but it's not something it's optimized for yet.

There is still a lot of things JavaScript was handy for before JQuery, and Mootools anyways such as client-side validation. Yes, they can turn off JavaScript and still send info, but it does decrease a lot of incorrect data using up bandwidth.

The mention of turning off JavaScript doesn't have much relevance, because it's no different than someone not having the flash plugin (not likely, just like JavaScript being disabled is).

Turn into a rant, and while I want to keep going, I'll stop here. :p

mavwrx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Oct 4, 2010
Javascript has been here to stay ever since gmail was released in 2003. There is going to be an even greater need for js developers with mobile. I'd recommend learning js oo principoles plus a framework like jquery or yui.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.