The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone prep for collapse? Your life contingency plans...[Doomsday Prepping]

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Curious from the other thread on the QE3 and it's interesting discussion on some people view of collapse.

Do any of you actively or passively prepare or have a contingency plans if things do go south either with violence or financial meltdown.

Before it is brought up, let's let the doom and gloom + politics rest for another discussion. I am not one of "plan for the worst and hope for the best" I am of the " kick a$$ and have a backup plan" crowd.

Anyone...

store food
have a continuity plan for yourself and your family
have a community plan
plan on locking down or fleeing (bug in vs bug out)
learn survival basics or other skills not reliant on modern day technology

I know there are others for that list, but that is off the top of my head. With recent shows(doomsday preppers) bringing the thought of "what would i do if..." to the public's mind, the rise in interest for preparing has skyrocketed beyond the normal election year hoo-hahs.

Just wondering if anyone does this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I am stocking up on toilet paper, guns and gold.

Just like I did for Y2K, the swine flu and the end of the myan calender in Dec.

BTW supposedly the most listened to radio station in the US is talk radio show during which ALL they talk about is armageddon and how to prepare for it.

Some people are making a TON of money off the people who believe in this stuff.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I am stocking up on toilet paper, guns and gold.

Just like I did for Y2K, the swine flu and the end of the myan calender in Dec.

BTW supposedly the most listened to radio station in the US is talk radio show during which ALL they talk about is armageddon and how to prepare for it.

Some people are making a TON of money off the people who believe in this stuff.

Oh no doubt there is money here "selling shovels" but i put this in offtopic to hit the side ofthe conversation of actually doing it.

What firearms have you got in your stockpile?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Oh no doubt there is money here "selling shovels" but i put this in offtopic to hit the side ofthe conversation of actually doing it.

What firearms have you got in your stockpile?

Sorry I should have put a smilie face after my post.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous for many many many reasons but I am all for making money off the people who are spending money on things which they will never need/use.

I do have a number of guns as I shoot a good deal of the food I eat but that is what the guns are for.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
I moved OUT of the United States to a country where food, water and power are plentiful and you can live in a fraction of what it costs in the rest of the world. Year round spring like weather so no need for air conditioning or heating.

Suggest you read Surviving the Economic Collapse by FERFEL. It's a first hand account of life in Argentina before, during and after their economic collapse in early 2000's.

Credit cards will be worthless. ATM machines will not work. Banks will be closed. You'll have a hard time buying food with the gold and silver you have because everyone will think it is fake and the prices will drop like a rock.

Society will switch to a barter system. So stock up on things you need or can trade for things you need. Medicine, booze, beans, rice, can goods, etc.

Beef up on self defense skills, like fighting with or without guns. You'll need it if you stay in the USA or Europe.

Read the book. It's a real eye opener of what life will be like during the economic collapse.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I moved OUT of the United States to a country where food, water and power are plentiful and you can live in a fraction of what it costs in the rest of the world. Year round spring like weather so no need for air conditioning or heating.

Suggest you read Surviving the Economic Collapse by FERFEL. It's a first hand account of life in Argentina before, during and after their economic collapse in early 2000's.

Credit cards will be worthless. ATM machines will not work. Banks will be closed. You'll have a hard time buying food with the gold and silver you have because everyone will think it is fake and the prices will drop like a rock.

Society will switch to a barter system. So stock up on things you need or can trade for things you need. Medicine, booze, beans, rice, can goods, etc.

Beef up on self defense skills, like fighting with or without guns. You'll need it if you stay in the USA or Europe.

Read the book. It's a real eye opener of what life will be like during the economic collapse.

Id like to be able to do something like this before anything bad happens. A place that doesn't much rely on the US.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
wow kak, thats some serious armory. would love to have guns and shoot regularly, but sooo restrictive here :/

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
wow kak, thats some serious armory. would love to have guns and shoot regularly, but sooo restrictive here :/

This is why a smaller developing country is probably best for me. You can usually arrange something like a permit with the police or local authorities if you have money to "donate". I know some people in the Caribbean that have arrangements to own firearms under much looser restrictions than the US. They let one guy buy firearms at their police armory LOL.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Sorry I should have put a smilie face after my post.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous for many many many reasons but I am all for making money off the people who are spending money on things which they will never need/use.

I do have a number of guns as I shoot a good deal of the food I eat but that is what the guns are for.

Oh ok... thanks for providing value to this thread.....

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yes, I have items related to my survival. My armory counting ammunition is worth about 12k. I have become very proficient with all of my firearms. I also have a credit card with a 30k limit ready to go with no balance at all. I would probably cash advance or buy gold coins as well as draw out my checking and buy a sailboat/food. (Obviously will take a little foresight)

I have a place in mind to go post problems and can effectively arm 4-5 additional people. Rifles, sidearms, concealable guns. Plenty of ammo for all to work our way to the boat and keep us safe once there.

I have 3 AKs and a Springfield M1a, 2 bolt action rifles, 1 bird gun, 2 defense shotguns, 2 glocks, 1 Ruger concealable gun, and my favorite (everyday carry) is a Sig P226 Blackwater. I also have 6 or 7 bad a$$ Esee knives and lots of high end fishing equipment with tons of tackle.

As for my investments, I obviously hope nothing happens. I have my wealth managed by an investment firm and am not comfortable investing it in anything physical yet. It is in some metal ETFs and some foreign investments too.

Now I didn't just buy all of this stuff for shit hitting the fan. I like guns, fishing and knives.

Also, I am getting an Italian passport to back up my ability to travel freely.

Nice, i'd thing a sig226 is sort of big to carry? I would guess that CC's would be pretty much worthless in the event something happens. I mean shit, in DC whenever there is a snowstorm looming the shelves go empty of food and supplies, and gas starts to dry up. It happens every time a snowstorm happens here actually, so you could only imagine if something worse happened, haha.

I think ill pick this up and read it, not that i am a dm and gloomer and i predict any of this to happen, but its always good to be educated on worse case scenario.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Nice, i'd thing a sig226 is sort of big to carry? I would guess that CC's would be pretty much worthless in the event something happens. I mean shit, in DC whenever there is a snowstorm looming the shelves go empty of food and supplies, and gas starts to dry up. It happens every time a snowstorm happens here actually, so you could only imagine if something worse happened, haha.

I like the Sig for carry as I can reach out to about 50 yards with it pretty easily. I wear a suit more than not and it conceals nicely outside the waistband or in a shoulder holster. The OWB holster will also conceal nicely with just a t-shirt thrown over it. Small CC guns will always have their place if you can't conceal a larger gun or prefer to hide it. I can toss that Ruger in a pocket any time. I barely go anywhere unarmed.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
A little off topic from the original purpose of the thread: There is a book called Lights Out by David Crawford that is fiction, but is an interesting read nonetheless.

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
Wow, no guns 'n' ammo in the UK so I'm stuck with brains, books, an Axe, Bat, Crossbow and some normal bows instead ;)

Could always start growing some veg & small livestock in the gardens to use for bartering too :) I think a stockpile of tobacco woul be worth more than gold in terms of trade post apocalypse as well :p

Nothing but small change from what you guys seem to be geared up with!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
We're better prepared than most, but not as well prepared as others on this thread.

Doomsday scenarios aside, guns may be more difficult to get in the future, which is one reason we've been moving into buying mode. I just bought a Ruger LCP 380 a couple months ago, but have yet to take it to the range. I really need to do that.

An interesting side note...Under such a scenario, consider how many modern skills would be utterly useless, and how traditional abilities suddenly become valued again, like the ability to shoot, hunt, gather, cure meat, purify water. Sometimes, the most valuable thing is knowlege.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
BTW, all our acquaintances have a plan. They say, "We're coming to YOUR house."

We just smile and nod.

They have no guns, no bows & arrows, no survival skills, and nothing saved for emergencies -- just the kind of people we want showing up on our doorstep if things go South.

Fermovian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 19, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You should rent out spaces at your enclave. $10,000 per person to be secured from the apocolypse. You'd have a desperate market, no obligation to fulfill if it didn't happen, and free labor if the worst should happen.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
We're better prepared than most, but not as well prepared as others on this thread.

Doomsday scenarios aside, guns may be more difficult to get in the future, which is one reason we've been moving into buying mode. I just bought a Ruger LCP 380 a couple months ago, but have yet to take it to the range. I really need to do that.

An interesting side note...Under such a scenario, consider how many modern skills would be utterly useless, and how traditional abilities suddenly become valued again, like the ability to shoot, hunt, gather, cure meat, purify water. Sometimes, the most valuable thing is knowlege.

If the LCP is your only handgun you are going to be really sad once you take it to the range, the sights are worthless. I have one and know its place. It definitely isn't something for longer than knife distance, definitely not an aiming scenario mostly point and shoot. I have a mini glock and it shoots much like a full size handgun a little better trade of IMO, it is also a 40.

Obviously it has a HUGE size advantage though. Use Buffalo Bore +p hollowpoints for it, they mean business.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
If the LCP is your only handgun you are going to be really sad. I have one and know its place. It definitely isn't something for longer than knife distance. I have a mini glock and it shoots much like a full size handgun.

Obviously it has a HUGE size advantage though. Use Buffalo Bore +p hollowpoints for it, they mean business.

VERY true. The gun is teeny, and if it were our only method of defense, we'd be in big trouble. Happily, it's not our only one. We have several handguns, several rifles, and other traditional weapons. I almost bought a mini-glock, and probably will at some point. But first, I wanted something I could keep hidden in the inside pocket of my purse, thus the LCP. (Still need to get my concealed-carry permit, that's on our to-do list.) We have regular ammo for practice, and hollow points for non-practice.

Once, when I was home alone, I had a slimy alarm-company salesman come to my door and try to scare me into buying his product. The more I said no, the more he tried to strong-arm me. Keep in mind I'm a small, friendly looking woman. I finally, and cheerfully, told him we were fine, had plenty of guns, and that our plan was to shoot anyone who broke in. He ran to his car and never came back.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I see no problem with an LCP as long as you understand what it is for. I used to work a gun counter in college (one of my only 2 jobs ever) and some people would buy LCPs to try to qualify for CHL... Not going to happen.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Well...

I don't plan on buying crap that's useless at this point of my life.

I do buy gold for emergency funds though.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Yes, I have items related to my survival. My armory counting ammunition is worth about 12k. I have become very proficient with all of my firearms.

This is one thing that sucks about living in NYC. No guns for me. Should be getting my rifle permit any day so at least I can pick up a few rifles. Handgun permit is next to impossible to get.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Working on a long game, but my short game is set. We have an acreage that we could go to if the need ever arose to flee the city. It's well protected with enough weapons both there and what I would transport there that we could survive a short term melt down of the U.S. infrastructure there. One of the biggest issues if there was to be something along the lines of a power grid failure or hyper inflation would be the lawlessness and roaming thugs that would be causing mayhem. My short term strategy would be getting my family to our fortified compound, and we'd be safe there and could be somewhat self sufficient. The house is wired for a generator so that all of the critical needs could be taken care of with a flip of a switch, but I still need to get a massive generator in place. With the generator, the water is on a well, so we'd have power and water and munitions.

My mid game is currency. I plan over the next few years to accumulate as much physical silver as possible. I believe that at some time during our lifetimes the U.S. dollar may face an overnight devaluation which could make gold and silver skyrocket as an international, tradable commodity. In addition, for my mid term game plan, I need to start moving towards international savings.

My long game is not started yet, which is an international location that could be our vacation home/escape home.

As a side bar, we have a few "escape rendezvous" locations where I could meet up with my kids in the event that the shit ever truly hit the fan beyond our ability to stay at our compound.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
And, as a side note, I have a lifetime supply of 100 watt light bulbs. :)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I like the Sig for carry as I can reach out to about 50 yards with it pretty easily. I wear a suit more than not and it conceals nicely outside the waistband or in a shoulder holster. The OWB holster will also conceal nicely with just a t-shirt thrown over it. Small CC guns will always have their place if you can't conceal a larger gun or prefer to hide it. I can toss that Ruger in a pocket any time. I barely go anywhere unarmed.

You do mean 50 ft and not 50 yards right? I dont think many people could hit something accurately under stress at 50 yards. Not to mention it wouldn't matter, most encounters are 7yds or less. I just got a xd9sc to carry, i wear fitted shirts for ego's sake, so those size firearms don't work well. I have a g19 that i could probably carry OWB if i needed to.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was just in Africa and I was talking to my driver about doomsday prepping in the USA. He had never heard of such a thing. Then we are driving around and I'm pretty much thinking that if doomsday came to the world, the part of Africa I was in would look pretty much the same.

There is already a shortage of water and electricity. There would be a shortage of gas and ammunition, but there is plenty of food, manual labor and bartering going around.

DSC_0195.jpgIMG_1158.jpgIMG_1170.jpg

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

IMO self defense and small arms will only protect you for a limited amount of time. All one has to do is study how people react in countries where governments collapse. It becomes utter chaos. Think Libya, Syria, Rwanda parts of Russia. Your biggest threat will not be the lone vagrant trying to get at your water stash but the rouge factions that will team up and form small armies of murderous gangsters.

As impressive as you may think your 3 AKs and small arms are (and they are pretty intimidating in normal society) they would be no match for 20 or 30 assault rifle wielding killers in a live combat situation where you also have a family to protect. Bruce Willis might be able to get out those situations, but in real life your chances are slim.

Can you imagine the power gangs like the Hells Angels would yield if they stayed organized during a collapse?

Think fire, smoke, assault rounds coming from 30 separate angles and you trying to protect 3 or 4 live targets. The best weapon is first to include a fair number of neighbors into your plan that live close by. You alone can't fire but one weapon at a time.

People will become your most important resource. Hope your well liked by your neighbors.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
About a year ago, we had a super-cell tornado outbreak here in Alabama. In the destruction's aftermath, there was no power, no gas, no traffic lights, no street lights, and virtually nothing else working for about a week. This was very minor compared to real doomsday scenarios. But even still, you could get a sense of how people respond to a crisis.

In our city of 170,000, some people panicked, some people looted, some people shot looters, some people holed up with generators, and some neighborhoods pulled together and barbecued.

One of the strangest things was navigating the city with no traffic lights. Getting from Point A to Point B took twice as long and was ten times as stressful. And that's assuming you could find gas for your car. Like I said, minor stuff, but a real window into how many modern services we take for granted.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
lol now I'm really scared after reading these comments. If this all happened, wouldn't earth just distort and vanish forever? :p What's the point of buying all this stuff if you'll be flying somwhere around planet Mars lol

I certainly know what I'll be dreaming about tonight :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.