The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any Jordan Peterson fans out there?

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Mostly because everyone's been nailed with the whole feminism thing for years - lots of misinformation. Even made me pay closer attention to my relationship. My girlfriend is far less aggressive in life and business (like many women I know) and hearing all this sh*t about how men and women are the same I always thought there was something wrong, but it's just biology.

Regarding the cult-like status, although Jordan Peterson is great, I think the hardcore cult following are the neckbeard types because he's saying: you need to be alpha, casual sex is wrong, women aren't as agressive, etc.
Ahh no for me what was depressing was the journalism side of it if that makes sense. She's smart, she knows better, but so many people believe what they hear and it's depressing to see despite how obvious it is. I know it's been going on forever but I haven't had a tv in quite a few years while traveling and had forgotten about it a little lol.

Edit: it's so late here and that is one of the crappiest explanations of a post I've ever given

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
Mostly because everyone's been nailed with the whole feminism thing for years - lots of misinformation. Even made me pay closer attention to my relationship. My girlfriend is far less aggressive in life and business (like many women I know) and hearing all this sh*t about how men and women are the same I always thought there was something wrong, but it's just biology.

Regarding the cult-like status, although Jordan Peterson is great, I think the hardcore cult following are the neckbeard types because he's saying: you need to be alpha, casual sex is wrong, women aren't as agressive, etc.

So you are basically saying.... :D

The pay gap legend still triggers feminists lol

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ahh no for me what was depressing was the journalism side of it if that makes sense. She's smart, she knows better, but so many people believe what they hear and it's depressing to see despite how obvious it is. I know it's been going on forever but I haven't had a tv in quite a few years while traveling and had forgotten about it a little lol.

Edit: it's so late here and that is one of the crappiest explanations of a post I've ever given

Yep. Women, and even a majority of men, learn about masculinity and life in general from shows like the Bachelorette, romantic comedies, etc. It's all garbage.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I do not understand why there are so many Jordan Peterson videos re-posted on YouTube by PUA (Pick up artists).
Probably because Peterson talks a lot about male-female relationship, mating game and hypergamy which are things PUA are interested in learning from, you know social dynamics and evolutionary psychology in action.

MiLeung

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 13, 2018
I bought it on Audible and I would say there are some good bits here and there with the frequent story tangents that so many authors like to do. My problem was that there were too many biblical references, so I returned it.

yetieater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 3, 2012
HTX
I once saw that Jordan Peterson is an intellectual for unintelligent people. I think it was clickbait, but is there any truth to that? :wideyed:

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I love Jordan . I was just watching him on Joe Rogans show today . Im looking forward to checking out 12 Rules For Life for sure

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This was something I noticed too. I don't share your degree of dislike for Peterson, but I find that he's a depressant in large doses. Mainly because I don't agree with the idea that "life is suffering." (It's a part of life, but it's not life itself. I'm not suffering right now. I'm having a pretty fantastic day.)

I have limited knowledge on this, but I think it relates to my question of whether it's fastlane material. It seems like a lot of it is targeted to young men in the pits of despair.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I'm a fan. Read 12 rules and thought it was great. Lot of reading between the lines to unlock the value.

The fact that the rules almost seem too simple and logical is the beauty of it. The simplest solutions are usually the most elegant and most difficult.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
My girlfriend and I went for a Jordan Peterson's world tour presentation last night. It was pretty anticlimactic. He talked for 2 hours non-stop before we decided to leave. Even in college he has to take breaks every 1:20.

But that wasn't the main disappointment. He stated the lecture with talking about Gulags and Nazi concentration camps, then moved on to serial killers, then to people with mental disorders, then talked for over a half an hour about the Garden of Eden and the stories in the Old Testament. I fell asleep a few times. We decided to leave early to beat the traffic.

I agree, he is a deeply negative and unhappy person, who was able to find philosophical ways to explain his unhappiness, the cruel world around him, and his reason for being. None of this rings a bell for me. Although he does find peculiar and sometimes entertaining explanations for many things.

I think all the MGTOWs and PUAs on YouTube do a much better job of presenting his ideas and putting them into context than he does himself. I would stick to those videos of him from now on.

Last edited:

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
I get the feeling if I spent too much time around Peterson I'd consider jumping off something tall.
LOL! I have to admit that I did get the same thought more than once in the last couple of days.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I am still in the middle of his audiobook - the people who suggested it were right, it's much less heavy to listen to than read. I am actually quite glad I continued - again it is nothing new and groundbreaking for someone who has been interested in person development for a while, but it's great to see a new perspective.

I think much of the hype he is getting is from those without any knowledge of personal development, he's kind of making it "cool" for those who haven't been exposed to it yet.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I personally love the guy and the more I listen, the more I like.

I love academia. I love rigorous academic research. Problem is: in many academic circles it’s just this shitstorm of liberal hippie political correctness. and a Marxist circlejerks.

Social justice warriors with a victim mentality.

Peterson keeps the academic rigor and nixes the politically correct dogshit. And if you don’t like it you can f--- off to your safe space.

For a number of years (before he got popular) I heavily researched the correlates ad predictors of success and came to the same conclusion he did so I could individually work on those traits. Intelligence, Contentiousness, industriousness, social networking... ect.

IMG_0344.PNG

So when I’m watching his videos and he literally lists every one of those things, I’m impressed. Anyway, I think he’s got a lot to say and can really teach people to be successful.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPcQ5ZojGw8

Anyway, any fans?

JJGoshow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 10, 2018
Phoenix
JP is pretty polarizing, but yeah I like JP. I read his book earlier this year and thought that it was pretty good. There was a chapter on parenting that I truly enjoyed.

I wouldn't say I am a fan boy, there are things we don't see eye to eye on. Regardless though, I love that in a culture that is so overly offended he isn't backing down, or smoothing the edges of his thoughts.

I don't like when he specifically words things or takes a stance that only has athegoal to rub the SJWs the wrong way. But most of the time he is saying what he believes and what he thinks will actually make our culture better.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Never heard of him, thought he was one of these new millennial gurus. Man, was I off.
Total opposite... he’s a really smart academic who tells it like it is.

Most academics (while brilliant in some regards) have his hippie, liberal marxist safe-space bullshit.

Basically this:

Peterson gave structure to a bunch of men that were kinda "lost"
Straighted them up, gave them couple of slaps in the face and have a structure for their daily life so they are no longer "useless" -

There are some jokes about Peterson being a father figure.

I mean my mom tried to get me get me to clean my room for 18+ years and I never did. It took Peterson one YouTube video to convince me.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I'm half way through 12 rules, so far its very good. Some interesting concepts to think about, I like his take on pre-history that comes out in his analysis.

The 'Don't lie, ever' thing got me thinking, how much easier would life be if you didn't lie to your self or others in any way. Even day to day choices, is this project really useful or am I kidding myself. Not lying would also force you to think and present a stronger face to the world.

As others have said I'll have to read it a few times to digest it properly.
Not sure if you’re still active on the forum but this is the book that convinced me to stop lying, almost completely. Even little white ones. Even “Did i gain a few pounds”..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISAo_JsQUI

Sam Harris’s essay on Lying:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G1SRB6Q/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Psychologists are useless.
Ahhh, how I love the ‘ignore member’ feature on this board.

From his site:

Future Authoring has been used by over 10,000 people and has shown to help them achieve more, while alleviating anxiety about the future through a feeling of clarity of purpose and direction.

While most Future Authoring participants feel better about their future and generally achieve more towards their goals, there have been academic studies performed to demonstrate the effect of the Future Authoring program:

Four hundred students completed an abbreviated version of the Future Authoring program during freshman orientation at an undergraduate college. By the second semester, 27% of the class had dropped out, while only 14% of the group that had used Future Authoring had left the college.

Other university studies have shown that not only does Future Authoring help students avoid dropping out, but it also improves their performance in terms of grade point average and the number of credits earned.

He's a clinical psychologist, so he's a bit more useful than the, "So how does that make you feel," types.
His research: Jordan B Peterson

If you guys take a step back from his words and look at what hes actually doing...

1. The content he provides for free on YouTube is his marketing. He even turned off ads to reduce customer to product friction.

He does give useful advice. I know I've learned a lot about myself just from listening to his early lectures. And even corrected 1 of my negative habits because of this understanding.

Then don't forget the controversial viewpoints that get people talking about him and bringing him on their shows.

2. His all over the place style of speaking is for his target audience. Millennials with the short attention spans. In one second he's on Disney, the next on Stalin.

3. His target market isn't just Millenials, but males basically at the bottom of the barrel. IE His future authoring program. Which looks like a goal setting exercise.

There are few people who teens-adolescence can look up to and say, goal setting is cool.

Plus he's making boatloads of money....

60k/mo on patreon
His book tour
His products

Seems fastlane to me.

I see it as realistic.

If that's all you're getting from him, perhaps it says more about you than of Peterson.

What's that quote? It's not the situation, but how you react to it.

giphy-5.gif

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Jordan's unique way of thinking and anecdotes really changes your perspective on the subjects he writes about.

I understand. His anectodes are amazing and it's so nice of him to give us an insight into the psyche of humanity's greatest thinker. Really allows us to understand what drives him and makes him...tick.

My favorite book is his magnum opus, Maps of meaning. In fact, I jotted down my favourite passage on a (really big) napkin and keep it in my back pocket at all times, ready to be read whenever I feel the craves for some JBP:

Page 135 - Maps of Meaning said:
I dreamed I saw my maternal grandmother sitting by the bank of a swimming pool, that was also a river.

In real life, she had been a victim of Alzheimer’s disease, and had regressed, before her death, to a semi-conscious state.

In the dream, as well, she had lost her capacity for self-control. Her genital region was exposed, dimly; it had the appearance of a thick mat of hair. She was stroking herself, absent-mindedly.

She walked over to me, with a handful of pubic hair, compacted into something resembling a large artist’s paint-brush.

She pushed this at my face. I raised my arm, several times, to deflect her hand; finally, unwilling to hurt her, or interfere with her any farther, I let her have her way. She stroked my face with the brush, gently, and said, like a child, “isn’t is soft?” I looked at her ruined face and said, “yes, Grandma, it’s soft.”

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
One critique I have of JP is his habit of redefining words. For example, on youtube there's a two hour argument with Sam Harris about the proper definition of "truth." Most people would assume the definition "that which is consistent with physical reality," but JP uses something closer to "the way one should act morally." There's other examples too, especially with regards to religion.

I think trying to force others to conform to your own custom definitions is a form of intellectually bullying, even if your own definitions are better. Words are defined based on how people actually use them, not how they should be used.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I like Jordan Peterson, the book was challenging to finish though and I agree with others about the heaviness.

I found the last two rules very powerfully explained (Rule 11: D:Do not bother children when skateboarding explanation was eye opening in some ways). For someone not too familiar with Dostoevsky, political thinking and Jungian psychology, it can be much more interesting in my opinion.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
He does a good job of pointing out the obvious things that our disintegrating culture forbids. I predict he will be assassinated by someone trying to stop Hitler.

Windward

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 1, 2018
Perth Australia
Good question, can anyone think of people who think in a similar way? I'd be interested to expand my knowledge in this area.

Thomas Sowell is one.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Jordan Peterson is like a stern, righteous and all-knowing father figure, which many people did not have in their lives, some want very much, and some do not want to at all.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Actually, most of his lessons provide an alternative on how you can better your life. Check out more of his videos.
I've seen many of his videos. There is a clear trend of negativity and pessimism, and little practicable advice. There are far better sources for this. Frankly I'm not surprised given his career as psychologist/teacher. I'll pay attention to what a businessman has to say any day.

Even his 12 rules book was mediocre for help, despite its interesting content. Making your bed and not getting in the way of kids skateboarding, followed by theocratic ramblings, really doesn't cut it as clear actionable life advice. Perhaps for his psychopath patients it does, but for everyone else, not so much.

I guess my primary gripe with him is that he's seen as a help to young men, without being an inspiration. Inspiration is much more powerful than advice, and I'd never want to end up as negativity-wallowing as him in a million years. Every video I watch, I hear luddite fallacy crap, or "these sub IQ 85 people are useless and doomed!", or "your life is determined already by how many numbers you can hold in your head at once" or whatever other borderline anti-social preachings.

The fact rebellion has had to come from within the education system, from a mild leftist balking at the radicals, rather than initiated by parents saying "these guys are losers, here's some biographies of winners", is a disgrace.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
JP is pretty polarizing, but yeah I like JP. I read his book earlier this year and thought that it was pretty good. There was a chapter on parenting that I truly enjoyed.

I wouldn't say I am a fan boy, there are things we don't see eye to eye on. Regardless though, I love that in a culture that is so overly offended he isn't backing down, or smoothing the edges of his thoughts.

I don't like when he specifically words things or takes a stance that only has athegoal to rub the SJWs the wrong way. But most of the time he is saying what he believes and what he thinks will actually make our culture better.
all i know is that my mom tried for 18 years and couldn’t get me to clean my room... jordan peterson did it in one YouTube video

also read the bible lol

Edit: since no-one will get that joke: 16 Jordan Peterson Memes That Made Me Clean My Room With Laughter

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja