The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any good self-management books?

For any book discussion

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Sup.

So I've been recently noticing that when I sit down to work, I sit, but although I am very determined to work, I am willing to do quality work, I have the mindset of helping people, I am accomplishing little.

I am doing quality work. It's not "perfectionist" - but I am following my own rules of quality and fair consistency. I never distract myself. The quality of the work that I am doing is actually high - the websites are polished,

But... I am unhappy with how *much* I am actually accomplishing. Oftentimes I don't accomplish even a fraction of the work that I am doing, so I thought that there should be good wisdom that people have earned with sweat and blood.... And I do the work! I am like, determined, and actually get things done. But it's... I know that an ideal person would work faster. So I need a self-management wisdom.

I thought about, maybe there are books like The One Thing - I havent read it (yet) (can't the book be summarized in just one phrase?), that give you a way to manage yourself better. The kind of where you need to make a decision in the and then act on it. So far in my life the best wisdom has always come from books and other people and so I wanted to ask. Thanks guys!

Oh, and, sorry for my last posts... I've wronged the community a great deal... I am constantly getting destroyed by mood and productivity swings, and it keeps hurting me and I often can't function the way i am supposed to.. Sorry...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The One Thing - I havent read it (yet) (can't the book be summarized in just one phrase?)
In two sentences:

What's The ONE Thing you can do that will make everything else unnecessary or easier?

If you don't know, then finding out *is* your ONE Thing.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

luminis_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 27, 2022
Sup.

So I've been recently noticing that when I sit down to work, I sit, but although I am very determined to work, I am willing to do quality work, I have the mindset of helping people, I am accomplishing little.

I am doing quality work. It's not "perfectionist" - but I am following my own rules of quality and fair consistency. I never distract myself. The quality of the work that I am doing is actually high - the websites are polished,

But... I am unhappy with how *much* I am actually accomplishing. Oftentimes I don't accomplish even a fraction of the work that I am doing, so I thought that there should be good wisdom that people have earned with sweat and blood.... And I do the work! I am like, determined, and actually get things done. But it's... I know that an ideal person would work faster. So I need a self-management wisdom.

I thought about, maybe there are books like The One Thing - I havent read it (yet) (can't the book be summarized in just one phrase?), that give you a way to manage yourself better. The kind of where you need to make a decision in the and then act on it. So far in my life the best wisdom has always come from books and other people and so I wanted to ask. Thanks guys!

Oh, and, sorry for my last posts... I've wronged the community a great deal... I am constantly getting destroyed by mood and productivity swings, and it keeps hurting me and I often can't function the way i am supposed to.. Sorry...
From my experience, you have to make it as easy as possible to do the work.

What does that mean?
- Delete all social media apps
- Have a consistent sleep and wake routine
- EAT THAT FROG first thing in the morning (do the hardest and most important task first)
- Plan out your day in advance the night before
- For your first hard task, have everything laid out the night before (ex. I cold call every morning and have my CRMs and power dialer open on my browser the night before so there's no resistance)

What's The ONE Thing you can do that will make everything else unnecessary or easier?
Do this. And what I like to ask is "What should I do to make it impossible that I DON'T succeed?" And go ALL IN on it each and every single day.

And make sure to "sharpen the saw"
- Get some sunlight every morning
- Mediate if it helps increase your focus
- Exercise, water, etc. etc. you get the idea

If you really need to, do a Dopamine Detox - it sounds like you need a bit of a reset.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You have everything you need. Get to work. Then give yourself some credit. Then do more.
Turn the flywheel.

SpinnerRedPenny

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 20, 2023
USA or Europe
I thought about, maybe there are books like The One Thing - I havent read it (yet) (can't the book be summarized in just one phrase?), that give you a way to manage yourself better. The kind of where you need to make a decision in the and then act on it. So far in my life the best wisdom has always come from books and other people and so I wanted to ask.
Either Today Matters or Make Today Count (both by John C. Maxwell), if you must read something that will help you focus. @luminis_ and @Andy Black and @ZCP are right. I particularly liked @luminis_'s detailed advice.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Eat that Frog by Brian Tracey.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I read "The Power of Positive Thinking for Young People" when I was about 13. I think it probably shaped the way I think.

Action beats navel gazing imo. Taking baby steps and making progress gives you a positive feedback loop. Think about what you've done (*act*, assess, adjust).

As Craig Desorcey once told me "F*ck Why. It only holds you back."

I just wonder if people sometimes try to read their way out of problems and it only makes things worse.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.