The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any BJJ folks on here?

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I started my BJJ journey 3 months ago,

I couldn't agree with you more.

Getting into uncomfortable situations is good for you,

The more uncomfortable you get in pressure situations ironically the more comfortable you get.

GREAT POST!

One of the best things I'm noticing, as I recover today from a hard class yesterday, is the tolerance for "oh shit" moments. Im much more able to not panic and to override my brain's auto reaction to someone cranking on my neck or arm.

It is like a weird "quiet moment" in my head when I'm in those situations. Sometimes I end up tapping out, but many times I can relax and work my way out of it.

I've found also that I don't care as much about the belt promotions. I've having so much fun learning a new art, and meeting such cool folks. It's quite a camaraderie in the gym.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
Well, you can still wear them during MMA fights. Which is what’s really important lol

Well if it's a striking game, you have to be a real knucklehead not to wear cup or mouth peace :D :D

But in the grappling game, it really changes dynamic of the game, you can even strike with the cup to the back when you try to strengthen out guys for the choke, etc. :D

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
I forgot to ask you where you are from? And congrats on winning your division?!
Lithuania :) Unfortunately, I did not win it, I was a runner up and also a third the other time.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I've found also that I don't care as much about the belt promotions.

About that, is it also tradition in your club to have the fresh belt dude spank on the back with the belts by the rest of the club? Had a great time doing that last week :devil:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Well if it's a striking game, you have to be a real knucklehead not to wear cup or mouth peace :D :D

But in the grappling game, it really changes dynamic of the game, you can even strike with the cup to the back when you try to strengthen out guys for the choke, etc. :D
I really think the rules differ for different tournaments. I’ve never wrestled or competed in BJJ without a cup; seems weird and risky to be honest.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
I really think the rules differ for different tournaments. I’ve never wrestled or competed in BJJ without a cup; seems weird and risky to be honest.

Might be, but I never came across Grappling or BJJ competition where they allow cups. Official IBJJF rules do not allow them.

I am not 100% sure but I think Olympic freestyle wrestling and Judo rules state the same.

superstock

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 26, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Might be, but I never came across Grappling or BJJ competition where they allow cups. Official IBJJF rules do not allow them.

I am not 100% sure but I think Olympic freestyle wrestling and Judo rules state the same.

Cups are definitely not allowed. Makes armbars much easier to get. Can't tell you how many times I've had to let go of an armbar because i was hurting my own sack lol

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
does BJJ have legit stand up techniques? cause in a real fight when u go to the ground, your opponent's friend will kick you in the face.

never go down in a real fight.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
does BJJ have legit stand up techniques? cause in a real fight when u go to the ground, your opponent's friend will kick you in the face.

Not really. There's no strikes at all in BJJ. But you see a lot of wrestling and Judo in BJJ Tournaments.

The thing is the vast majority of people in street fights aren't trained or don't know how to fight. In my opinion a BJJ practioner or a wrestler will win 1 vs 1 90% of the time.

If there are multiple people, it does get tricky. You're absolutely correct that a person could kick me in the face. Probably will

Pride Fighting Championship allowed kicks to the face.
rua.jpg

You'd be surprised at how tough a human head is.

When it comes to multiple opponents, speed is #1. Really I'm thinking I need to get out. Maximum harm to your opponents but minimum damage to you. If a guy gets me on the ground, I'm thinking sweep and get out or submit as fast as possible and get out. It does not take long for a person to pass out because they don't know to tap out, 5-10 seconds. Psychologically, if other people see that happen they won't mess with you.

Though I question why a person would get in a street fight anyway because people get hurt and death is a possibility. Why risk going to jail?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Not really. There's no strikes at all in BJJ. But you see a lot of wrestling and Judo in BJJ Tournaments.

The thing is the vast majority of people in street fights aren't trained or don't know how to fight. In my opinion a BJJ practioner or a wrestler will win 1 vs 1 90% of the time.

If there are multiple people, it does get tricky. You're absolutely correct that a person could kick me in the face. Probably will

Pride Fighting Championship allowed kicks to the face.
rua.jpg

You'd be surprised at how tough a human head is.

When it comes to multiple opponents, speed is #1. Really I'm thinking I need to get out. Maximum harm to your opponents but minimum damage to you. If a guy gets me on the ground, I'm thinking sweep and get out or submit as fast as possible and get out. It does not take long for a person to pass out because they don't know to tap out, 5-10 seconds. Psychologically, if other people see that happen they won't mess with you.

Though I question why a person would get in a street fight anyway because people get hurt and death is a possibility. Why risk going to jail?

i think good boxing skills with some jujitsu as on the ground backup is a decent combo.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

When laying in the ground, you can put down an opponent quite easily with the right techniques. Most real fights will end up on the ground after all.

The point of BJJ after all is to put your opponent out of control without beating him into the hospital.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
When laying in the ground, you can put down an opponent quite easily with the right techniques. Most real fights will end up on the ground after all.

The point of BJJ after all is to put your opponent out of control without beating him into the hospital.

what if a guy aggressively fights to stay up, like say hes a boxer.
It must be way harder to implement your techniques if the guy is not willing to be on the ground with u.
I feel jujitsu must be combined with stand up training to be worthy of a real life fight.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
It must be way harder to implement your techniques if the guy is not willing to be on the ground with u.
I feel jujitsu must be combined with stand up training to be worthy of a real life fight.

As a BJJ-fighter you take A) enough distance so he can't punch you or B) you go very close so he can't punch you either (start from 3:40).

Then you swipe him and go for an armbar or choke. Even if he doesn't want to fight on the ground, it's very hard to avoid most swipes. Boxers aren't trained on this because they go for KO, so get down easily.

What Royce Gracie does here against a fighter that kicks so much faster and harder than him and is like 3 times his size (fight starts at 4:20):

His opponent is basically helpless because he can't punch or kick (what he trained for his entire life) and eventually goes down with a simple arm bar.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
As a BJJ-fighter you take A) enough distance so he can't punch you or B) you go very close so he can't punch you either (start from 3:40).

Then you swipe him and go for an armbar or choke. Even if he doesn't want to fight on the ground, it's very hard to avoid most swipes. Boxers aren't trained on this because they go for KO, so get down easily.

What Royce Gracie does here against a fighter that kicks so much faster and harder than him and is like 3 times his size (fight starts at 4:20):

His opponent is basically helpless because he can't punch or kick (what he trained for his entire life) and eventually goes down with a simple arm bar.

good strategy to stay out of range or just go in super close as a jujitsu fighter.

Yes i seen that second video several times, he did get him on the ground but not without a lot of effort. Epic win though.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
Cups are definitely not allowed. Makes armbars much easier to get. Can't tell you how many times I've had to let go of an armbar because i was hurting my own sack lol
Its a matter of technique really :) With good technique you will not get those kind of situations :) Drilling is the answer :)

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014

You should look for first UFC tournaments. The little guy with only Jiujitsu skills and a Gi called Royce Gracie was fighting boxers, kickboxers, karate guys, kung fu guys various weights with almost 0 rules. He was first UFC champion :)

When we talk about modern MMA, then yes, everyone now knows how to defend a takedown or a strike.

If you could have just 1 skill set and need to have 1 on 1 fight, wrestling/ground guy will win 9 times of 10.
Good news - you don't have to have the only a skill set, so having a mix is a good thing.
Bad news - street fights do not always go 1 on 1 :)

My take on this - if you are living in a 1st world country, decent neighborhood and have a working head on your shoulders, its likely you will not need to fight unless you really want to :) So then Martial Arts become a hobby and it does not matter what you do as long as you move and promote this beautiful lifestyle of martial artist :)

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
SOme highlights if interested

superstock

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 26, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Its a matter of technique really :) With good technique you will not get those kind of situations :) Drilling is the answer :)

I don't disagree, just pointing out that cups would make it easier :)

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
So last night was my nadir thus far for my bjj training...Felt off, drills went ok, then started rolling...It was like I was drugged or something. Got tapped like 5 times straight in 5 rolls, 3 of them by a newer white belt. Even got tea bagged. By that damn white belt. Couldn't stop it. Pretty traumatic.

I was devastated. I've had tough days in my first four months of intensive training but this was the worst. I know they are part of the process though. Still sucks going through it.

So I'm using it to help me in my Fastlane pursuits in business as well. Here are yesterday's lessons:

-obstacles are part of the process
-progress, not perfection
-failure is learning
-do something, anything, towards a better future
-get your head right first
-go easy on yourself, especially when the world doesn't/won't
-life (and bjj) is a productocracy indeed
-most of the pain and suffering deals with my ego moreso than reality

and

-teabag me once, shame on you. Teabag me again, shame on me.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
I'm a new no-stripe white belt. Started a month ago. I love it.

Here is an interesting video in which a very cerebral black belt (John Danaher) explains the basic tenets of BJJ to another black belt (Joe Rogan).
View: https://youtu.be/-BQDJFlPZqY

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
So just an update from my end, and would love updates from everyone else on their bjj journeys this year!

Im now a one-stripe, working on my second, but I'm really enjoying the process. I do care about the stripes on my belt, like everyone, but I can honestly say I really care more about getting better. I enjoy mastering this stuff (or, just getting better right now).

This year I want to do more no gi workouts, and wrestling. I have no wrestling background, and Im realizing how helpful it is for those guys that do. They really have an advantage when they compete, IMO. Plus, my 15 y/o son is a wrestler, and I enjoy watching him, so I'm deciding that I will now add a good wrestling base to my game.

Overall, though, I love it. I've done muay thai for nine years now, and bjj for almost one, and it is so much fun starting at the "bottom" again.

Would enjoy hearing about everyone else's progress/etc in bjj this year!

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I started training in Polish club since I relocated and trainings are much more intensive than in Belgium. More drills, warm-ups, etc. I should have 2 stripes on my belt right now, but I don't care. I go for a blue belt at the end of 2020.

Also did my first tournament a few weeks ago and this is something I would recommend everybody. I got out in the first round and my opponent won the tournament, but I improved a lot in a very short time. I know what mistakes I made and I'm working on a strategy for next time.

Will also do one no-gi training per week from now on. Maybe also muay thai, but only if I have lifeblood left.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Just another update, would love to hear others' updates as well! Last night I got my third stripe on my white belt. I figured something was coming the day earlier when my professor sought me out for an intense roll. lol

Still enjoying it. And, the more I know, the more I realize I DONT KNOW.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
Still enjoying it. And, the more I know, the more I realize I DONT KNOW.

Congratulations. I got my first stripe a couple of weeks ago. It was funny for me to realize how great that felt. I am a 60 year old guy, and without going into boring detail I have accomplished a few things in life. I was really pumped up over that strip of athletic tape wrapped around my belt!

I think that anyone who has even a minor grasp of BJJ will be starting to realize that it has endless depth. It is mind boggling.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I signed up for a trial this week, took two classes of BJJ and the package also has HIIT, boxing, takedowns and kickboxing classes. I just enrolled and bought a gi, I have my sparring gear from doing Krav. just hope my bad knee can keep up other than that I’m sold.

P.S. any advice besides ice wrap for bad knees? (Shitty meniscus, surgery when I was 17 left it pretty weak, unstable and easily swollen in general)

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
...just hope my bad knee can keep up other than that I’m sold.

Just don't go out there and roll at 100%. With your background you probably already have realized that BJJ is about technique. You may be able to beat a higher ranked opponent in a roll with your strength and techniques from other disciplines, but that is a dead end.

Nothing to do with knees, but I would strongly suggest to anyone starting out that before you roll the first time google "BJJ frames" and understand how to use frames to protect your rib cage. It's a very common injury and it is hard to make it go away.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Just don't go out there and roll at 100%. With your background you probably already have realized that BJJ is about technique. You may be able to beat a higher ranked opponent in a roll with your strength and techniques from other disciplines, but that is a dead end.

Nothing to do with knees, but I would strongly suggest to anyone starting out that before you roll the first time google "BJJ frames" and understand how to use frames to protect your rib cage. It's a very common injury and it is hard to make it go away.

I'll look into it, thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.