The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any advice on how to get clients as a mobile app developer?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

sooper_fly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 11, 2020
I'm a freelance mobile app developer and have been one for some time. I just found this forum and really like the mind set a lot of users have, so I figured I might as well ask for some advice.
What do you guys think is a good way to get clients as a mobile/web app dev.?

So far I've tried:
  • posting ads on craigslist in all major cities in the US (LA, NYC, CHI, MIA, etc.)
  • reached out to other freelancers and asked them if they ever get over booked with work they can refer me and I'll give them a cut
  • Bumble Bizznes (stupid I know, but I actually got a client from there lol)
  • attended seminars and networking events to meet people looking for this service
I've heard about an idea of cold emailing businesses but it seems like such a trivial task since every time I do this I can't ever reach who I need to talk to. If this works for anyone, can someone please let me know what they think is the best type of business to emphasize on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
Hi ,
Please checkout thread by Lex DeVille ,it would prove immensely useful for you.
If I were in your place I would have joined Upwork,Elance and provided my services for free there . I would have provided top notch services there. After earning good name I am sure customer would have started contacting me instead of other way round at the moment.
Sorry to say but your mindset seems to be me focused(how can I market,how can I get more client >> more money) it should change to you focused(client focused >> how can I serve more people, how can resolve problem of others, how can I add more values to my customers life ).

sooper_fly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 11, 2020
Hi ,
Please checkout thread by Lex DeVille ,it would prove immensely useful for you.
If I were in your place I would have joined Upwork,Elance and provided my services for free there . I would have provided top notch services there. After earning good name I am sure customer would have started contacting me instead of other way round at the moment.
Sorry to say but your mindset seems to be me focused(how can I market,how can I get more client >> more money) it should change to you focused(client focused >> how can I serve more people, how can resolve problem of others, how can I add more values to my customers life ).
I appreciate your honesty! I've actually hadn't noticed that flaw in my mindset, and I'm happy you pointed that out for me. Thank you

I actually actively use Upwork, Elance, and also Fiverr but I have never gotten a client from those sites so I didn't bother mentioning them. I've only listed the tactics that provide results.

Also do you happen to know the title of the post he made, or maybe have a link for the post?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
You may like the book called Getting Ahead by Joel Garfinkle. He describes a way to create your own personal brand to make leads come to you instead of the other way around. In short, provide value to the market and establish yourself as an authority.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017

Check this page and find threads which may be relevant to you :

KenCorigliano

TCMethod
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 29, 2020
Washington DC area
I have a project if you want to do something groundbreaking. I would need to know your skillsets and qualifications, keeping in mind underpromise and over deliver.

Ken

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
make some prototypes to build a portfolio of your work so potential clients can see what you can do?

sooper_fly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 11, 2020
I am also an app developer. Looking for exact similar advice. Following
We're in this together, bro!
pm me your email and if I'm ever over booked I'll send clients your way

I have a project if you want to do something groundbreaking. I would need to know your skillsets and qualifications, keeping in mind underpromise and over deliver.

Ken
I Pm'd you. Let's talk, my man!

EDIT: I cannot send PMs yet, I guess. my email is khantariq563@gmail.com

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
I am a developer too, what type of apps do you develop. I am a native Android developer Java/Kotlin. I stopped doing freelance projects because I have a full-time job and I am developing my own app on the side. When I was in your shoe, I wrote blog posts, lots of Android tutorial blog posts, a lot of them are outdated so I have taken most of them down, but if you google my name I have a blog with my name and you will see some post.

The generated over $20K in freelance projects in one year. I started Upwork and generated over $25K in one year but the sheer volume of jobs I bid on, and each job, I paid careful attention to what the user wants. I address their problem and not do generic bids like everyone else. One of my Upwork clients hired me full time until today.

And I created a number of small apps to build my portfolio. So in summary, I say, stay focused on Upwork, people make a full-time income in Upwork, I can attest to that. And start a technical blog post and post regularly. Technical blogs rank on Google very fast, with no SEO gimmick. Its pure gold of content.

bonnechic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 12, 2020
I am a blogger. I can advise you from my experience that, you can advertise your work through writing blog, or you can start your personal website to bring business.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
Ok, here goes, I’ve got a little experience between upwork and private gigs (say around $1M work obtained in last 4 years).

Upwork is like any other advertising medium, most developers don’t get this. They barf out a list of skills as if anyone cares, you look just like anyone else.

So you ask, how do I do it differently? First, no matter where you are looking for work you must have great copy. Put yourself in your prospective clients shoes. What are their fears and concerns. What are their real pain points. Spend some time and learn how to write “you” focused copy that presses on these pain points then addresses how you can solve them for them. This will pique your clients interest.

what’s next? What about social proof? That’s right, you guessed it, you need a good review. But, you ask, how do I get a review if I’ve never had any work on off work. Maybe borrow a tip from our Amazon friends on this forum. What tip you ask?...One or two seed reviews to give you legitimacy.

How do you get a seed review? If you have an existing client, just ask them to contract with you through upwork and pay through upwork. Yeah, I know there’s fees but your building something of value worth investing a little coin.

Well, what if you have no clients? Here is the trick I picked up from our amazon friends, just create a client. Have someone you know contract with you on upwork, pay you on upwork, then after a month and $$$$ spent, write a fabulous review for yourself. Of course this is your money and you will pay a fee to upwork, but hey your building something here.

BTW make sure you set your hourly rate for this project at a reasonable competitive rate for similar people on upwork. The rate you charge for this first review will dictate what someone is willing to pay you.

now the real work is up to you. If you did these steps well, you will get interest. Be super responsive and thorough with your replies to prospects. Offer advice and insights in your communication to show your professionalism and skill. Get them on the phone ASAP after they contact you. Communicate often during negotiations and the project. Make sure every client is happy and the projects are going well. Many coders are introverts and under communicate, this leads to bad reviews.

once the snowball starts rolling you will get more requests for work than you can even handle If you build trust and do good work.

of course all the above assumes you have the skills to backup what you are offering.

best of luck

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Sales activity trumps just about anything else. Try stuff. A lot of stuff. You'll suck at all of it for a while.

Make cold calls. A lot of them. You will suck at it. People will hang up on you. After each one, try to figure out what you did well and give yourself a pat on the back for it. Even if its 'I dialed the phone number even though it scared the hell out of me.' Improve .01% the next time.

Go to networking events. Sell on Upwork, Craigslist, temp agencies, etc.

Pretty soon, you'll run across someone that finds your passion appealing. They won't have work for you, but they'll offer to let you send out your advertising email to 20,000 of their business contacts. And, they'll offer to help you write the email. Think that can't happen? It happened to me two days ago. Or, they'll say, 'I have this client that needs X, can you do it for them?'

Ask yourself 'what is one thing I can do in this next minute that has a chance of moving the needle forward?' Then go do it. Don't worry if its the best thing to do, or if it even succeeds. As you practice this, you'll improve.

Soon enough, you'll realize that you're not an app developer. You're a solver of business problems. "My customers need to enjoy buying wine on board my cruise ship more than they are currently." You're a provider of joy for that client's customers, not an app developer.

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
Give people information about the development process, and how to get accurate quotes.

I own a software development agency and we made a 40 page presentation detailing the ins and outs of the whole process people should expect.

(Development phases, why mock ups are important, why project specifications are important, how to write project specifications, how to continuously improve your UI, what SCRUM is and their role in it, marketing your app, etc.)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
cold calling seems like the ''easiest'' way

become a telephone terrorist and start dialing

bonnechic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 12, 2020
that is a great way i believe, what kind of content you would write to attract the potential clients?
Why don't you create a profile in freelancing job website like - Upwork, Guru, Toptotal etc. There are hell lot of websites. Being professional, I would recommend to create 1 website of your own and showcase your portfolio as well. Make connections in Linkedin join different groups in it. Its very useful if you connect with potential professionals. Send emails to overseas digital agencies about your services and work portfolio. That's how you do it mate. Cheers!

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
Upwork can work but it's usually where everyone and their mother go to get freelancing jobs, which means you'll be competing with $3 an hour workers.

Read up some sales stuff and make a list of 100 potential companies who need your service, then cold call them.

That's the fastest way to get going and make some cash.

Alberto322

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 28, 2021
Marketing is everything when it comes to a market that might be a bit oversaturated. Don't lose hope, everything that requires building a clientele takes some time. Maybe you want to focus on the bigger businesses because a lot of the small ones just use mobile application development companies. It's my case as well, who went with the services of Custom Mobile App Development Services | Develux and I wouldn't personally change it because I was super content with the finished product. I have acquaintances in the field that prefer freelancers though, so I'm sure you'll find your suitors eventually.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.