The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any advice for a beginner Salesman?

smartyoungman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 6, 2014
I just got a 100% commission job today which is funny because I've never really considered myself as much of a salesperson. I had a job before as a bank teller and we were required to do a lot of selling and I really hated it. I think the part that I hated the most was that I had to be a teller AND try to push products on people, it just didn't feel right.

I'm at the point now where I need to make some money to save up to move out of here and invest in my entrepreneurial pursuits and so I'm really wanting to do well with this job.

It's part-time so it will leave me some time to work on my own businesses. I know there are a lot of experienced sales people on these forums and I was just wondering if anyone had some tips or advice for someone who is new to sales and wants to do well.

Is there any books that you can recommend or any audio lectures I should listen to?

Just anything would be helpful. I'm nervous about the job but I want to do well because I need to make money. The company supplies you with leads and so it is outside sales which is something I've never done before.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Two books I recently enjoyed about sales were Spin Selling and 20 Days to the Top. They both teach about sales methods and back up their theories/tests with extensive research and more tests!

What kind of sales will you be doing? Door-to-door? Cold calling? How big is the company you'll be working for?

smartyoungman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 6, 2014
Two books I recently enjoyed about sales were Spin Selling and 20 Days to the Top. They both teach about sales methods and back up their theories/tests with extensive research and more tests!

What kind of sales will you be doing? Door-to-door? Cold calling? How big is the company you'll be working for?

Thanks for the fast reply! I will definitely check out those titles.

It's a moderately sized company that sales floor tiling and windows and they provide the leads. People see the ads and then call in and then the sales rep goes to their house with the samples to make the sale. It's 100% commission and you work as an independent business owner.

The commission isn't anything to write home about but I figure it will provide me with some good experience and help me learn the ropes of sales.

I'm saving up money to move to a larger city with more opportunities and I figure that if I do well with this job then I will be able to have a sales job there while I pursue my other goals.

zoomzoom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 22, 2013
I've been making a living as a salesperson, retail and BtoB for over 25 years, I love it not because I've made a lot of money as one (which I have) but because I love helping people solve problems. And in my opinion, a great salesman doesn't make sales just for the sake of making sales, he does it because he is solving the needs or desires of his customer.

Without question, the best place and person to learn how to be a successful salesman is with Jordon Belfort's Straight Line System - I can hear the groaning now, especially with the Wolf movie out... "who that crook?" TRUST ME, he will help you understand what your real job as a salesperson is, without doing anything crooked or unethical.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Based on what you will be selling, they will be shopping around. Sell them on you. Not meaning to talk about yourself but show you have a genuine interest in giving them what they want, when they want it.

Chances are, many/most of your leads are not ready to buy now and spin selling would help you understand how to nurture your leads.

Congrats by the way!

Jazzcat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jan 3, 2013
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
Congratulations on your new journey into sales! The already mentioned "Spin Selling" by Neil Rackham is excellent. A powerful read for the sales professional is "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" by Robert Cialdini. From there maybe hit some basics like Brian Tracy's "The Psychology of Selling" audio course and "You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar" by David Sandler. Once the big commissions start rolling in have a go at Anthony Robbins "Mastering Influence" course.

Every successful entrepreneur I know or have ever read about is a superior sales practitioner. Top performers have a standard of continuous inprovement..learning..practicing..drilling..rehearsing..reviewing..repeating. The old adage is true..."Nothing happens until somebody sells something".

Good Luck!

smartyoungman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 6, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm nervous but I'm also excited for the new job, I've already started looking into the resources you all recommended.

The way I'm looking at this opportunity is that it will be a way for me to learn because I know that sales is a great skill that you can take just about anywhere and is always in demand.

What's the best thing to do if you are pitching a product and you can tell the prospect isn't interested? Is it a good idea to keep persisting or should you bow out and give them your card? When do you "know" that its time to move on.

Blueskies4me

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 9, 2014
Noblesville, Indiana
What's the best thing to do if you are pitching a product and you can tell the prospect isn't interested?

If you are at the point that your "pitching" your product you should have already found interest and be closing on that interest. During the sales process you ask your client open ended questions and yes / no questions that tell you if your product fits him. Do you have this problem? I hear a lot of people in your industry struggle with this? How do you handle it? Is that efficient for you? Would you like to save time / money / (whatever benefit your product offers). THEN close!

Blueskies4me

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 9, 2014
Noblesville, Indiana
Have a goal when you go in that you'll get a contract, a second appointment or an agreement to follow up in a reasonable time frame. There are definitely some great resources out there for sales but the most important one is just being professional, easy to talk to and trustworthy.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
From knocking thousands of doors selling HVAC, I've learn a couple things. Goes like this:

1. Rapport is key. Do this through body language, tonality. Create comfort. Be accepting of their view.
2. All human behavior is based on Avoiding Pain and Gaining pleasure. Everything you do, every little mannerism, all came from some thinking. Find that thinking. Show them how they can achieve both through your offer adequately and you will have a deal.
3. Facts Tell, Emotions Sell. All humans are emotional creatures. Create the emotions of pleasure around yourself, so they like you. Link them to your products, then show how they can avoid negative emotions if they buy. Eliminate Buyers remorse.
3. Everyone sees the world differently. See the world as they would, adopt their beliefs and values, and see from their eyes.
4. Be ethical. Remove your own ego, don't ever argue or fight. Some people just don't need your product. Move on. There is a Sales funnel. 10% of people will Always buy, 80% don't know if they should buy. 10% of people will Never buy. Help those you can.

Accept them all as they come.

Good luck!

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Without question, the best place and person to learn how to be a successful salesman is with Jordon Belfort's Straight Line System - I can hear the groaning now, especially with the Wolf movie out... "who that crook?" TRUST ME, he will help you understand what your real job as a salesperson is, without doing anything crooked or unethical.

Half way through this and it's very good. I highly suggest it too..and spin selling

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
One vital thing you need to do is Know Your Product Inside Out. You have to learn every single little detail about tiles and windows bc you will have explosive confidence when dealing with decision makers. Become an expert and your confidence will help you close business.

smartyoungman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 6, 2014
Thanks for the great advice everyone!

I've been doing a little bit of research on this company and got a little bit discouraged and thought maybe it wasn't worth it because they only offer like 4% communion with no base.

The thing is though I don't really have a lot of options right now and I need to MAKE MONEY. If I can learn how to sell at the same time then I will consider it a win.

I am determined to get good at sales because through this forum I have learned that it is one of the skills that truly matter and is a big key to success. I used to hate the idea of being a sales person but now I realize that if I'm going to make any kind of money I need to get over that hump and learn those skills.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
I used to work as a saleman door to door. And I will give you 2 advices that will take you far in the sales industry.

1. Confidence. It doesen't matter what you sell, as long as you are confident in what your selling. The one with the lower value (in this case its the customers and by value I mean less confident) will mirror you and look up to you. So always go in with confidence (and I know it can be hard at first, but fake it until you make it) and you will start to sell much more.

2. Listen to the customer! This is what many salespeople ignore. They just talk and talk about the product. Always talk and never listen to the customer.
I know you have a sales pich, but there is nothing wrong with changing and testing new ways. Why not instead of just do the same sales pich where you talk for ages, you ask the customer what she/he is missing in the business you are selling.
What problems they face? And when they answer, you listen and tell them you got the answer for that (and now you pithc your product).

Just by asking them first and actually show that you care about there problems before you throw in your sales pitch can make a big difference.

Hope it helps. Good luck and kick some a$$ ;)!

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Silverhawk has some really good points. Whether you hate selling or not, its extremely important you become good at it. Most of the great leaders and pioneers in the world were in one way or another good salespeople.

Selling is one of the most important qualities you can posses. Why did you join this forum? Someone indirectly "sold" you on the idea that being here was something you wanted to be a part of. We all want to be loved, have friends, and make money, all of which are difficult if you're not a good communicator.

You need to sell a potential mate on why they should choose you over all of the other people in the world.
You need to sell friends on why they should accept you.
You need to sell people on ideas everyday.

Want to have employees? you need to sell them on why they should work for you.
Want to get your product in stores? You need to sell distributors/store owners on why you vs. the thousands of other brands out there.

You know at the end of the day, most of it comes down to you conveying a clear message on how YOU can help benefit the other person.

Next time someone speaks, listen to how many times they use the word "i" or "my" or "me".... start to pick this stuff up and get a genuine satisfaction on what makes people tick and tock.

Not to be corny, but this book has impacted my life in a huge way. Its more so about communication than sales, but in my opinion they're very close.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0671027034/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I used to think sales was about overpowering the customer into handing over their credit card.

Years later, I now know that real sales is about love and respect.

If you're greedy as hell then perhaps you'll make more on the first sale, but you end up destroying the possibility of the next 5 deals.

Love and respect bro.

smartyoungman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 6, 2014
I love this forum because everyone really takes the time to give good, genuine answers.

Like Ryllban says I think confidence is a very important part of sales and I want to be able to "fake to til I make it" until I can go in with no nervousness.

theBiz, I've been hearing about that book for a long time but have yet to read it. I will find a copy of it and give it a read. You're totally right that sales is one of the most important skills to have in anything. I used to undervalue its application until I realized that its at the center of business. If you want to be the boss you've got to be a good sales person.

IceCreamKid, yeah I think genuine honesty is what is most attractive to people.

But what do I know? Ask me how I feel about sales in a month...

Seriously, though I'm going to give it my best shot and see where it takes me.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Icecreamkid nailed it...among others. Everything that has been said has been in the small amt of selling books ive read. Focus on the person, what their needs are and how they will benefit from your product. I really want to jump into sales, but I dont want to sell something I have to trick people into buying. I honestly want to help ppl and have them feel good about the purchase. Sure, you can be a sleezeball and make a lot of money...but that takes ignoring your conscience on helping someone correctly.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
CAHVERTISING by Drew Eric Whitman is a good book for a beginner salesman.

Personally just got my copy of this in the mail yesterday. Already showing me how much I don't know and I've already put it to use on a sales copy. I'll second the motion for Cashvertising for certain.

kazmrczk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 1, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Having been in the business as a 100% commission rep and as a sales trainer and manager, here are a few tips.

The flooring and window sales job is a tough one. The reason is that you will have to close them on your first visit. I know this isn't popular, but in that industry less than 2% of the "I need to think about it" folks will ever call or answer a call from you again. The company you are with should have training to show you their process. The training should be a minimum of a full week, especially if you've never sold anything before. Also, be sure to ride with another rep to see how an appointment is run.

The training is all pretty similar in that industry, but listen to what they say, it will help you sell. If they do not provide training for this, find something else. Practice your presentation. You need to be able to go through everything in your sleep. This will allow you to pay attention to the customer and adjust the presentation to their specific situation. The reps that I trained that did the worst were convinced they could just power through the presentation and ignore the customer. That just won't work. Every presentation must be tailored to that customer.

Make sure all your samples are clean. Especially the window. I know it sounds simple, but dirty samples turn clients off instantly.

You should be learning a lot about the technical aspects of the window and how it is installed. The customer doesn't care about any of this. They care about what they are getting. Essentially you need to learn to sell them on the benefit, not the feature. Too often reps get caught up in talking about this specific or that specific. Remember that every fact or feature you discuss MUST be related to a benefit.

When you are warming up and talking with the customer, find out what they like and dislike about their current windows/flooring. This will give you some information about what particular features to point out so that you can relate it to a benefit that hits on their likes and fixes the things they don't like.

For example: If they get a draft around their windows now and it bugs them. You need to discuss the frame construction, how the window seals, and how the insulated glass pack all are structured. Then you have to explain and show with your sample kit, that this will prevent air leaks and increase the comfort in the home.

You can't just go in and spit out the information. You need to get confirmation and have a conversation about the benefits you are showing or they'll stop listening to you. You need to learn to involve them in the presentation.

Lastly for now, you MUST ask them to buy that day. I'm betting the company you work for has some pricing strategy and incentives to get the customers to take the deal now, you have to do this. The window/flooring business is NOT one where you can keep going back to talk to the customers until they buy, you have to do it then or never.

Best of Luck!

smartyoungman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Feb 6, 2014
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses to my questions. I went through the sales training for the job and it was a great learning experience but I ran into some problems that have set me way back.

Basically what happened is I went out for a week on sales calls and was doing pretty well. I made a sale on my second call and was feeling pretty good about it. I went on a few more and felt as if I was hitting a pretty solid stride. The problem that I ran into the most thought is that people had no clue what flooring costs so they would have extreme sticker shock when I showed them the price.

I haven't been on a sales call in a week and a half and so I feel like I've really fallen behind with in. I was coming back from a sales call one day during rush hour my car finally gave up me and overheated. It was an old beater anyway so it wasn't like it was never going to happen but I had been hoping that I could wait a little longer but it didn't happen.

I kind of help like the job wasn't really for me and it wasn't worth it anyway because of all the wear and tear on the car and the fact that I have no interest in flooring.

I am supposed to be getting a car in a few days though and I haven't decided if I should try the sales thing again or not.

I have been busy the past few weeks starting my own eCommerce business selling a very niche product and I have a job that I do on the weekends that makes pretty good money so I'm kind of at a cross roads of what I should do.

With this business that I have started I would not just be limited to online sales but would actually be able to go out and talk with potential clients and do deals in person so the training I have gotten from the flooring job could be useful in that way but it would be for my own business and a product that I actually care about.

I really believe that I can get this to take off and have a lot of ideas about how I can help the customer and add value to my service. I also have a strong desire to build something of my own instead of doing all of the work for very little reward.

Any advice?

kazmrczk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 1, 2012
Northwest Indiana
At some point, you are going to need to learn about sales and marketing. If you learn sales while working for someone else, you can focus specifically on the sales aspect without having to think about everything else associated with business.

I would keep doing the flooring for now, with one change. Most companies allow self generated leads and some even pay higher commissions on those sales. Act like this is your business and start generating your own leads as well as the company generated leads. It's not terribly difficult and will give you experience prospecting (not something you get running company leads). It doesn't take too much time. When you get done with a company lead that is a sale, knock on the neighbors on either side and across the street. Introduce yourself and tell them that you'll be doing some flooring work in the area and your crews will be out in x number of weeks. Tell them your crews do great work and generally leave a place as clean as the found it, but occasionally some small trash/packaging may get away from the guys. Let them know to call you if anything should end up in their yard that the guys miss. I don't ask for referrals immediately here, just give them the card, the seed is planted. After the installation, swing by when you are in the area and check on those people to see if you can help them with anything. Chances are the homes are all similar in age and will need similar repairs.

On the sticker shock issue, most people will say they didn't know what it cost when they've seen pricing and you are way higher than what they had calculated with the ads in the Sunday paper.

Your job is to try give them some idea of what they could pay out there on the market high side. Also, always give them pricing on multiple products lines. Most companies have a low, mid, and high grade product. If you set it up right, they'll understand the pricing.

Also, when giving the pricing make sure to list everything that's included before you give them the actual price. This is particularly important on flooring as most ads from Lowes/Home Depot only list the main material. Go through each point and build it up so they see the true value of what they are getting. "we'll come in and move the furniture to clear the room. Then we'll tear out the existing flooring, we're going to take all of that mess outside and when we're finished we'll take it away for you (or put it in small pieces to leave out for trash if you don't haul away). After we tear it out, we'll clean up the subfloor. Then we're going to......." you get the idea. Really spell it all out so they can see every little point of value. Don't bullshit them, but be detailed because they aren't comparing apples to apples.

Keep at it, you're developing an important skill.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.