The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An advertisement I found interesting

Marketing, social media, advertising

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Last edited:

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I don't know. It's nothing more than the "fear evocation" approach, if you ask me.

When I was in sales and my company added automated home security to its offerings, one of the big things was "DO NOT prey on their fears."

That was because the common practice in home security sales (by the competition) was to start with an alarming statistic of home invasions and burglaries in the area. This instilled fear into the potential client and made them succumb.
Sure, its sometimes effective, but a snake oil greaseball approach overall.

Other than that, I have a degree in Media Production, so I can see through such presentations quite easily.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Yes but... I do think that subaru really will deliver on what they ‘promise.’

This type of technology can save change lives.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Oh, THIS is how you do advertising?

Brilliant, just brilliant! Please tell us, have you studied marketing for 10+ years as well? You sure must have with this level of insight?

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
It is a powerful advert but not in the way that they intended and I really dislike their implied message.

'Buy a Subaru so you don't have to pay attention whilst you drive.'

The only way that it could have been worse would have been if the driver was using his smart phone. It almost condones not watching the road as a part of life.

Having just watched that advert, I don't feel like buying a Subaru but I do have a reaffirmed sense of the importance of not getting distracted whilst behind the wheel.

The actual technology is great however. 1 in 8 accidents in the UK are caused by tailgating and this car would prevent that automatically. We just need a fastlaner to invent an ignition that requires for the driver to provide a breath sample before it starts the engine to reduce road fatalities even further.

Aldous Acker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 13, 2018
O waooo it is big invention and they will definitely deliver this and the human life becoming more secure while driving

Geekour

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 27, 2017
TX
Really good cinematography and creative filming but it made me feel very uncomfortable. Fantastic for a movie, but bad to sell a product. I prefer Tesla approach.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
We just need a fastlaner to invent an ignition that requires for the driver to provide a breath sample before it starts the engine to reduce road fatalities even further.

Actually these exist already. ALCOLOCK™ V3 | ALCOLOCK - Ignition Interlocks, Compliance, Breath Testers, Breathalysers in some cases, they can be fitted by court order for drunk drivers. If these were required for all new vehicle and for a vehicle to pass an MOT, we could effectively eliminate drunk driving.

There are also speed controls systems and eye tracking technology, s0 we could eliminate distracted and speeding drivers too.

No manufacturer wants to introduce it though, and no politician wants to pass the law.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Oh, THIS is how you do advertising?

Brilliant, just brilliant! Please tell us, have you studied marketing for 10+ years as well? You sure must have with this level of insight?
I liked the ad. F*ck off.

And no, I haven’t studied much marketing at all.

I have studied turds in the toilet though for 30+ years. And you’re definitely one.

Edit: Here’ ill change the title since you want to be a whiney little female.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Really good cinematography and creative filming but it made me feel very uncomfortable. Fantastic for a movie, but bad to sell a product. I prefer Tesla approach.

Yea after looking at the readers response here watching it a couple of times, I do think it’s a little manipulative.

But this is definitely a technology that I would buy.

This actually wasn’t the ad i meant to post anyway. There was one I was trying to find for the Subaru Ascent where the kid was like “i have to take a sh*t!” but I just left it because i though this was interesting too

Last edited:

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
I liked the ad. f*ck off.

And no, I haven’t studied much marketing at all.

I have studied turds in the toilet though for 30+ years. And you’re definitely one.

You seem to get emotionally triggered by my comments. There's a function just for that:

1.png

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You seem to get emotionally triggered by my comments. There's a function just for that:

1.png
Yea, you’re a total annoyance. But I’ll leave you unignored because you post some decent insights sometimes. And you clearly have some epic MS Paint skills.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
THis wasn’t;t the video i really meant to post anyway... the one I wanted to post was a different Subaru Ascent ad that almost made me spit out my drink.. you see it sometimes before YouTube videos and the little kid in the back is like ’i have to take a *bleep*’ and now i can’t find it

Ray Richardson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 3, 2018
People's Republic of NJ
The first one is actually playing into the hand of the Subaru brand. They are known for safety and reliability that will lead to repeat customers.

They don't have a lot of models or over the top frills and luxury, but Subaru will keep you safe and on the road. That's their story. I don't know their market share and sales, but people who buy them usually have positive reviews. FWIW

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Playing on people's fear and selling a product to cure that fear is one of the techniques mentioned in Cashvertising.
This is all business, no rights and no wrongs.
All marketing is manipulative to some extent, big or small.

Besides, it's valid. As someone who is big on safety, I now see Subaru in a different light (positive).

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think the original ad makes a good point. Perhaps I’m biased by the fact that I really like this type of technology and think it should be in every car. Is Subaru the only one with this technology? no. But it really is something to think about. Technology like this really does save lives/families. I mean this may seem manipulative but you you look at accident data, it is a major cause of death. One that can be helped with technology.

Let’s put it this way... if people 'listened to' this ad and bought cars with tech like this, would the world be a better or worse place? So is it really manipulative? Or is it just showing them something they should genuinely be concerned about.

Here’s how i see it: If it causes people to be more concerned/fearful than they should be, it’s manipulative.
If it causes people to be less concerned than they should be: it’s irresponsible
If it causes people to have the correct amount of concern, then I don’t think it’s manipulative.

I think this is a realistic concern.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Seems unnecessary. This forum is already seen as pretty "bro-culture" given the gender makeup of the group.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I like how they SHOW YOU the benefits you'll get and its real worth - and then go over the cold, boring features.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Playing on people's fear and selling a product to cure that fear is one of the techniques mentioned in Cashvertising.
This is all business, no rights and no wrongs.
All marketing is manipulative to some extent, big or small.

Besides, it's valid. As someone who is big on safety, I now see Subaru in a different light (positive).
I was thinking this exactly, what a book

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Realistically though guys... let’s say you were in the market for a new car .

Do you feel this ad makes it more likely you’ll buy a Subaru with this technology, or less likely? I know for me personally, having seen this ad, I would probably be more likely to buy a vehicle like this.

Accidents happen fast. One time I was eating peanuts and I threw a shell out the window. I was distracted for literally a half second. Something happened where everyone slammed on their brakes and I got into an accident as a result. It happens so fast.

This ad kinda messes with my head. It’s kind of etched in there almost as if it were a trauma. Watching this guy almost lose his whole family. It caused a mild emotional scar, even though I know it’s acting. You know what? I totally agree with you guys. It’s tacky, manipulative, and honestly in bad taste. But it doesn’t matter how good or bad an ad is. It matters if it sells products. I feel like I’m more likely to buy a car like this as a result. Which is it’s purpose..

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I don't know. It's nothing more than the "fear evocation" approach, if you ask me.

When I was in sales and my company added automated home security to its offerings, one of the big things was "DO NOT prey on their fears."

That was because the common practice in home security sales (by the competition) was to start with an alarming statistic of home invasions and burglaries in the area. This instilled fear into the potential client and made them succumb.
Sure, its sometimes effective, but a snake oil greaseball approach overall.

Other than that, I have a degree in Media Production, so I can see through such presentations quite easily.

How do you sell home security systems without preying on their fear?

People buy security systems because they fear a home invasion. They don't buy them if they feel safe and secure.

Last edited:

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
How do you sell home security systems without preying on their fear?

People buy security systems because they fear a home invasion. They don't buy them if they feel safe and secure.

Long post incoming!! TL;DR: sell them a positive reward, not a negative consequence.

It's simple: We'll use a model I'll go ahead and call the Xavier X model (regular X marks the spot, but the Xavier X marks the SWEET spot. <-- I'm so cheesy :smile:).

Let's say a given scale of 1 - 100 is calibrated with:
The state of fear, anxiety and paranoia at 1
The average person's default rest state at 50
The state of complete peace of mind at 100

The sweet spot of selling to them without evoking all their childhood nightmares is between 75 and 95.
The goal is to move in the direction of what makes them more comfortable, versus what makes them more anxious.

There are two approaches one could focus on:
1. Positive reward approach:
Seller: This home security system offers XYZ features, which allow you enjoy your time at the park with your kids even more. As you can monitor your home on your phone and rest assured the house is secure.
Customer: Wow! That's super cool, and would be great to have :cool:.

2. Fear-based approach:
Seller: From January to September this year, according to YourTown Police Department, there have been 6.942 million home invasions, burglaries and break-ins in your neighborhood ALONE! You need to buy this, or I can't guarantee you won't be included in the next statistic update.
Customer: OMG!:eek: I'm going to have a heart attack. So I could be next?
Seller: Damn near guaranteed, I tell you.

From the many years I worked in sales, I can say confidently that manipulative selling leads to high rates of churn and buyer remorse. Value-based selling leads to happy customers, referrals and repeat business.

I won regional awards for being number one on customer satisfaction score rankings - multiple times. Regional directors would send under-performing workers to come shadow me for a few days to find out and learn why customers loved me. It was simple - don't bullshit or manipulate them.

I used to be an under-performing salesman, with bad customer feedback scores about to lose his job. It took the realization and implementation of this to turn that ship all the way around, until I resigned. Even after mentally checking out for the last few months, I still walked to my car on my last day with a number one regional customer satisfaction award in hand (quarterly awards event).

Let me even whip out the ol' Microsoft Paint and doodle this model, for the more visually inclined ones.

Xavier X Model - no fear based selling.png

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I wish I had this. I hit a dear last year and totaled my car. Poor animal died minutes later. The front of my vehicle looked like someone stepped on a coke can and there was blood, fur and skin all over. The dear limped for a few feet, started yelling then it was gone.

Tragic...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.