• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

An advertisement I found interesting

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by ChrisV, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Sampson and TreyAllDay like this.
  2. Xavier X

Xavier X Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,289
    I don't know. It's nothing more than the "fear evocation" approach, if you ask me.

When I was in sales and my company added automated home security to its offerings, one of the big things was "DO NOT prey on their fears."

That was because the common practice in home security sales (by the competition) was to start with an alarming statistic of home invasions and burglaries in the area. This instilled fear into the potential client and made them succumb.
    Sure, its sometimes effective, but a snake oil greaseball approach overall.

Other than that, I have a degree in Media Production, so I can see through such presentations quite easily.

404profound, Xeon, Veik and 3 others like this.
  3. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    Yes but... I do think that subaru really will deliver on what they ‘promise.’

This type of technology can save change lives.

4. Xavier X

Xavier X Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,289
    I'm sure they'll deliver the technology promised, I'm just not a fan of fear based selling.

404profound, Xeon, Roz and 3 others like this.
  5. Denis from BE

Denis from BE Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $210
    I totally agree, I wouldn't play on that kind of feelings. I don't find it right.

Xavier X and jon.M like this.
  6. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $275
    Oh, THIS is how you do advertising?

Brilliant, just brilliant! Please tell us, have you studied marketing for 10+ years as well? You sure must have with this level of insight?

HugoMoreno, Roz and Raoul Duke like this.
  7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The .45 longslide, with laser sighting. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,080
  8. Rick Phillips

Rick Phillips Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $382
    It is a powerful advert but not in the way that they intended and I really dislike their implied message.

'Buy a Subaru so you don't have to pay attention whilst you drive.'

The only way that it could have been worse would have been if the driver was using his smart phone. It almost condones not watching the road as a part of life.

Having just watched that advert, I don't feel like buying a Subaru but I do have a reaffirmed sense of the importance of not getting distracted whilst behind the wheel.

The actual technology is great however. 1 in 8 accidents in the UK are caused by tailgating and this car would prevent that automatically. We just need a fastlaner to invent an ignition that requires for the driver to provide a breath sample before it starts the engine to reduce road fatalities even further.

fmob007 and Xeon like this.
  9. Aldous Acker

Aldous Acker New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    O waooo it is big invention and they will definitely deliver this and the human life becoming more secure while driving

10. Geekour

Geekour Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $490
    Really good cinematography and creative filming but it made me feel very uncomfortable. Fantastic for a movie, but bad to sell a product. I prefer Tesla approach.

11. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $530
    Actually these exist already. ALCOLOCK™ V3 | ALCOLOCK - Ignition Interlocks, Compliance, Breath Testers, Breathalysers in some cases, they can be fitted by court order for drunk drivers. If these were required for all new vehicle and for a vehicle to pass an MOT, we could effectively eliminate drunk driving.

There are also speed controls systems and eye tracking technology, s0 we could eliminate distracted and speeding drivers too.

No manufacturer wants to introduce it though, and no politician wants to pass the law.

12. Fastlane Liam

Fastlane Liam Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,883
    Hey its a strategy
    Something we can learn from

Xeon likes this.
  13. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    I liked the ad. f*ck off.

And no, I haven’t studied much marketing at all.

I have studied turds in the toilet though for 30+ years. And you’re definitely one.

Edit: Here’ ill change the title since you want to be a whiney little female.

Xeon and jon.M like this.
  14. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    Yea after looking at the readers response here watching it a couple of times, I do think it’s a little manipulative.

But this is definitely a technology that I would buy.

This actually wasn’t the ad i meant to post anyway. There was one I was trying to find for the Subaru Ascent where the kid was like “i have to take a sh*t!” but I just left it because i though this was interesting too

Geekour likes this.
  15. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $275
    You seem to get emotionally triggered by my comments. There's a function just for that:

[​IMG]

Xeon and Raoul Duke like this.
  16. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    Yea, you’re a total annoyance. But I’ll leave you unignored because you post some decent insights sometimes. And you clearly have some epic MS Paint skills.

17. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    THis wasn’t;t the video i really meant to post anyway... the one I wanted to post was a different Subaru Ascent ad that almost made me spit out my drink.. you see it sometimes before YouTube videos and the little kid in the back is like ’i have to take a *bleep*’ and now i can’t find it

18. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
  19. Ray Richardson

Ray Richardson New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $61
    The first one is actually playing into the hand of the Subaru brand. They are known for safety and reliability that will lead to repeat customers.

They don't have a lot of models or over the top frills and luxury, but Subaru will keep you safe and on the road. That's their story. I don't know their market share and sales, but people who buy them usually have positive reviews. FWIW

Xeon likes this.
  20. lewj24

lewj24 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,271
  21. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    ugh

22. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,115
    Playing on people's fear and selling a product to cure that fear is one of the techniques mentioned in Cashvertising.
    This is all business, no rights and no wrongs.
    All marketing is manipulative to some extent, big or small.

Besides, it's valid. As someone who is big on safety, I now see Subaru in a different light (positive).

Fastlane Liam, KLaw and ChrisV like this.
  23. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    I think the original ad makes a good point. Perhaps I’m biased by the fact that I really like this type of technology and think it should be in every car. Is Subaru the only one with this technology? no. But it really is something to think about. Technology like this really does save lives/families. I mean this may seem manipulative but you you look at accident data, it is a major cause of death. One that can be helped with technology.

Let’s put it this way... if people 'listened to' this ad and bought cars with tech like this, would the world be a better or worse place? So is it really manipulative? Or is it just showing them something they should genuinely be concerned about.

Here’s how i see it: If it causes people to be more concerned/fearful than they should be, it’s manipulative.
    If it causes people to be less concerned than they should be: it’s irresponsible
    If it causes people to have the correct amount of concern, then I don’t think it’s manipulative.

I think this is a realistic concern.

Xeon likes this.
  24. CareCPA

CareCPA Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,668
    Seems unnecessary. This forum is already seen as pretty "bro-culture" given the gender makeup of the group.

25. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,299
    I like how they SHOW YOU the benefits you'll get and its real worth - and then go over the cold, boring features.

Xeon likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.