The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A wee overdue introduction

ants

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Nov 14, 2020
England, UK
Hello guys

Wanted to finally say hello and introduce myself after being a bit of lurker for a number of years now. I’m a massive introvert so posting and interacting online does not come naturally to me and I’ve always just put it off (like with a lot of things you come to regret as you grow wiser (hopefully) or older).

Up until this year I’ve been working as an engineer for a UK vehicle manufacturer. After 8 years I’ve had a lot of slowlane and tier levels ingrained into me which made me come seek refuge on here after reading MJ’s books in hope for somewhat a future that I see the customers of our factory have (prestige market).

I did get paid decent money as I was a good engineer and that’s made me drag my feet in jumping into entrepreneurship sooner. But now the pandemic has hit, my role has now been dissolved. In some way I’m very glad it’s happened as it given me the kick that I needed to change my life trajectory as I was just getting demotivated in what I was doing. I started getting depressed watching customers getting shown their product being made and thinking even if I got promoted 5 levels within this company, I still won’t be able to afford one of these. It’s not a nice position to be in (myself personally – I’m sure a lot of my colleagues were very happy with their roles and lifestyle). I was commuting 120 miles a day for that too and just getting frustrated.

So here I am, writing this to introduce myself and my story. I’m going to try and force myself to write some content and get involved as for some reason I’ve always feared writing on forums – I don’t know why, I guess you just can’t get any feedback as you are typing to see how your message is coming across as you would face to face (I don’t have any problems with social skills outside of online platforms).

The biggest thing holding me back at the moment is my own self-limiting belief that has been ingrained into me working at a corporate position – you move upward in stages as you progress in life and experience. Even reading all the amazing stories on here of success, I just can’t seem to lift that belief out of my head and its driving me mad and causing all sorts of problems like self-doubt, procrastination, bouts of depression etc. I find myself reading and reading countless threads and before you know it hours go by. But I am self-aware of it and that’s a start in itself I guess.

As final note, a big thank you to @MJ DeMarco for the fastlane book - that sole book was the key driver that made me think bigger and led me to this forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello guys

Wanted to finally say hello and introduce myself after being a bit of lurker for a number of years now. I’m a massive introvert so posting and interacting online does not come naturally to me and I’ve always just put it off (like with a lot of things you come to regret as you grow wiser (hopefully) or older).

Up until this year I’ve been working as an engineer for a UK vehicle manufacturer. After 8 years I’ve had a lot of slowlane and tier levels ingrained into me which made me come seek refuge on here after reading MJ’s books in hope for somewhat a future that I see the customers of our factory have (prestige market).

I did get paid decent money as I was a good engineer and that’s made me drag my feet in jumping into entrepreneurship sooner. But now the pandemic has hit, my role has now been dissolved. In some way I’m very glad it’s happened as it given me the kick that I needed to change my life trajectory as I was just getting demotivated in what I was doing. I started getting depressed watching customers getting shown their product being made and thinking even if I got promoted 5 levels within this company, I still won’t be able to afford one of these. It’s not a nice position to be in (myself personally – I’m sure a lot of my colleagues were very happy with their roles and lifestyle). I was commuting 120 miles a day for that too and just getting frustrated.

So here I am, writing this to introduce myself and my story. I’m going to try and force myself to write some content and get involved as for some reason I’ve always feared writing on forums – I don’t know why, I guess you just can’t get any feedback as you are typing to see how your message is coming across as you would face to face (I don’t have any problems with social skills outside of online platforms).

The biggest thing holding me back at the moment is my own self-limiting belief that has been ingrained into me working at a corporate position – you move upward in stages as you progress in life and experience. Even reading all the amazing stories on here of success, I just can’t seem to lift that belief out of my head and its driving me mad and causing all sorts of problems like self-doubt, procrastination, bouts of depression etc. I find myself reading and reading countless threads and before you know it hours go by. But I am self-aware of it and that’s a start in itself I guess.

As final note, a big thank you to @MJ DeMarco for the fastlane book - that sole book was the key driver that made me think bigger and led me to this forum.
Welcome. Thanks for posting. Funny that you find posting online more intimidating than interacting face to face. A lot of people are the other way round, so I think that stands you in good stead.

You’ll realise quickly enough that most of the time people don’t even see what you post. Then most of the rest sail on by.

BTW... It’s simple to make friends online ... interact with their posts so they don’t feel they’re speaking to a void. ; )

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Thank you for finally introducing yourself ants. Like you, I was a life long slow lane driver. I try to make myself feel better by saying at least I was never on the side walk...for what good that does. This can be a challenging thing to do for those of us so engrained in the Script. But it is worth the effort. I encourage you to keep moving forward towards a Fastlane existence.

In an odd twist of timing, I have a friend in the UK who was also finds himself unemployed after years in the auto industry. He worked for a company that made the material handling machines for the auto factories. They were mismanaged and recently failed. Twenty plus years in the same company, over 60, and this poor guy is back to looking for a job. I hope I can help show him another possibility, but you can imagine how engrained the script is for him.

Looking forward to learning of your future success.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ants

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Nov 14, 2020
England, UK
Thanks @Andy Black , been going through a lot of your posts on here. Your contribution is next level and has helped me massively already so thank you!

Yes the automotive industry is on its arse at the moment. Companies are taking advantage of the pandemic and making processes leaner and cutting out a lot of management thats not needed which would have been difficult to do previously which obviously means a lot of losses from all levels. I honestly think that one of the main limiting factors that come from working a steady job is the belief that we hold of what is achievable. Myself anyway, see the successful entrepreneurs and business owners as some other level thats miles beyond me. And I hate to say that but I may as well be brutally honest. It does make me feel pretty shit knowing that I feel that way even though I recognise its just a limited belief and has caused some mental lows during this year.

Yes indeed @MJ DeMarco , whats more frustrating to myself is that I've been aware of this fact ever since reading your books and it's eventually come to fruition. Can't hep to think that if only I did x back in y then I would be x times ahead by now. But I am where I am so I can only go from here.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Myself anyway, see the successful entrepreneurs and business owners as some other level thats miles beyond me. And I hate to say that but I may as well be brutally honest. It does make me feel pretty shit knowing that I feel that way even though I recognise its just a limited belief and has caused some mental lows during this year.
Baby steps.

Help someone.

Get paid to help someone.

Take it from there?

jeffrost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 30, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Hi Ants
Welcome.
You are in the right place. There are many supportive people here who will help you any way they can - as soon as you take some kind of action.
What are your key saleable skills?
Sell them.
Best of luck
Jon in Sheffield

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...