The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A former-perfectionist guide on how to become a former-perfectionist

Anything related to matters of the mind

FindYourQuest

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 28, 2016
Okay, so you clicked on the title, you either must be really curious (or maybe really bored? :) ) or you are in the same boat as me and suffer from being a perfectionist.

Maybe that’s not the best way to explain this, because as I’ve mentioned in the title, I’m a former one, so I’m not on that boat anymore. But I used to be for the better part of my life. Just to assure you I’m going to list a few things about how I used to think about every new challenge, let me know if you find something familiar:

- I’ve used to set a goals with extremely high standards.
- There was no room for mistakes, and if I failed I was extremely hard on myself and got really gloomy.
- Even if I did manage to achieve my goals, I wasn’t happy about them.
- If I wanted to do 10 things a day and I only got 9 right, I considered it a shitty day. All-or-nothing, baby, that’s how I rolled!
-I used to procrastinate on things, just to get them “right” in the “right” time. Fun fact: In cases when I managed to get something done, it was never “right”, I’ve found mistakes and imperfections where others haven’t seen any.

The first signs of being a perfectionist showed when I was in elementary school: every time before a test I’ve wet my bed because of the anxiety that the perfectionist mindset generated. (Oh yeah, I’ve dealt with anxiety disorder too, but that’s a story for another day.)

A year ago it got so bad, I just couldn’t take it anymore and I started to see a therapist. It was probably the greatest idea of my life, I won’t get into details, because it’s impossible to fit a whole year of therapy into one post (or five for that matter). It helped me a lot and after a few months of therapy I found a book, which became my best weapon against perfectionism and anxiety next to the therapy.

That book was Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck. Basically the main idea of the book is that innate talent, abilities and most of the time even results don’t matter. What matters is our plan…
(If you don’t get the joke:

I mean what matters is process, the way you get to your goal. It was truly a revelation for me. In her research, she found, that people who believe talents and abilities are fixed (so-called ‘fixed mindset’) are tend to focus on whether they succeed or not and base their value on that. Although you can do a tremendous amount to succeed reaching your goals, but sometimes it’s simply not your fault that you fail, and to base your value and confidence on it might not be a great idea. On the other hand, people who focus on the process and what they can learn from it tend to achieve more and be less stressful. Why? Because it’s 100% in your control.

After reading the book I was thinking about that I have to share this with my fellow perfectionist/anxiety sisters and brothers! Then I put that thought aside waiting for the perfect opportunity to do it as good perfectionist would. But slowly internalizing what I’ve learned on therapy and the growth mindset, I figured, what do I have to lose? So I’ve given it some more thought and then some more…and finally came to the conclusion that I should share my story and the great idea of this book in a way that is both helpful and entertaining. So that’s how this video has born:
I’m planning on doing more book reviews on books that, at least in my opinion, have life-changing ideas. Also in the near future (a few months, creating a video like that takes a lot of time :) ) I’m going to do a 2-part video on anxiety disorder and depression, while reviewing a great book on that topic!

Hope you like it, please let me know if you have any question about perfectionism, the book or the Dark Knight!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
Analytic paralysis is the enemy of thinkers, DO than act accordingly. I've found that acting before I feel comfortable is always better because even if mistakes are made I'm ahead of the theoretical plans I would still be making.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Ill read this fully later but A+ headline. Had to click before I left.

FindYourQuest

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 28, 2016
Analytic paralysis is the enemy of thinkers, DO than act accordingly. I've found that acting before I feel comfortable is always better because even if mistakes are made I'm ahead of the theoretical plans I would still be making.

Hey Sowexly! Although I absolutely agree with what you've said, it's only a solution for "normal-functioning" people. I'm speaking from experience as I've delt with severe anxiety, I was well aware of what I should do, but still didn't do it because of the massive anxiety. You can't say to someone with anxiety disorder to "Just do it, what are you afraid of?!" or someone with depression to "Suck it up", they would have already done it if they could've. Someone who is dealing with mental illness the solution is not that easy. (I'm not saying there isn't a solution, because there is! You just have to work a lot to get better. :) )

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
Hey Sowexly! Although I absolutely agree with what you've said, it's only a solution for "normal-functioning" people. I'm speaking from experience as I've delt with severe anxiety, I was well aware of what I should do, but still didn't do it because of the massive anxiety. You can't say to someone with anxiety disorder to "Just do it, what are you afraid of?!" or someone with depression to "Suck it up", they would have already done it if they could've. Someone who is dealing with mental illness the solution is not that easy. (I'm not saying there isn't a solution, because there is! You just have to work a lot to get better. :) )
I agree as well so the steps should be small, but what I can tell is most of the time it's still the thoughts that are making someone anxious not the process itself. Once it gets going they calm down and realize "Hey I'm OK"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.