The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

A Bio-Hacking Discussion: Cold Showers, Nicotine, Cryo, Float Tanks...

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)
Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2021
Thanks for the advice.

But tell me please, what do you mean by focussed workout.?
I mean not just doing some pushups.
Have a workout routine, I lift consistently and it's a great way to handle stress
You can have a calisthenics workout from home, which is either way great for a lot of things

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Myster kouadj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Mar 13, 2022
I mean not just doing some pushups.
Have a workout routine, I lift consistently and it's a great way to handle stress
You can have a calisthenics workout from home, which is either way great for a lot of things
OK it is understood. It's not my only sport, every week I choose a day to do intense sport for at least 30 min..

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2021
OK it is understood. It's not my only sport, every week I choose a day to do intense sport for at least 30 min..
Thats a good start !
What I meant is that exercise is often overlooked for managing stress but It is very effective especially if it is intense.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zaratustra

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2019
Fireplace is one of the best bio-hacking tool, as you are forced every morning to light a fire using a leftover coal and your lungs to blow an air. Obviously you should not use gas-lightners, solid-alcohol burners or some other tools that help starting a fire.
As a bonus, you learn how to survive in wilderness by making a fire.

Greg Behnke

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 22, 2012
Scottsdale Arizona
Nokia sleep app kept saying I was getting 95-100 sleep scores every night and I'd wake up exhausted. Turns out I had moderate sleep apnea and I now use an oral appliance device and the sleep scores more accurately reflect my experience and I'm getting quite a bit more deep and REM sleep.

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Funny how hallucinogens are illegal and yet social conditioning and most people’s perceptions meets the exact criteria and definition of that in that what the average person “sees” is not what’s really there or happening. I just thought that was funny.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

DanGoldfield

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 26, 2022
Bristol, UK
Lineaged mindfulness & meditation teacher checking in here

I went down the rabbit hole having sacrificed my wellbeing for my business for a decade and got way more out than I could've imagined. Got lucky with ~300 hours one-to-one with a former monk.

Later shared what I'd learned with some family & friends for some remarkable results, then teacher instructed me to teach myself. Been guiding folks to happiness ever since!

I've a bunch of 4-5 star talks & guided meditations on an app called Insight Timer that everyone can check out for free.

Happy to answer any & all questions about this amazing practice.

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Dec 15, 2019
I recently ordered one of these (LINKED BELOW) because the quality of my sleep is poor. I've tried various strategies thus far with no real improvement. They offer a 60 day guarantee so I figured it was worth the risk.

Also, once or twice during the week slap a nicotine patch to my arm to increase focus. This has been recommended by several neurologists. It seems to work for me when I do it as I seems to help me be more productive. However, I limit this tactic to once or twice per week as (obviously) I don't want to get addicted to nicotine, although I haven't noticed any type of addictive response to it. It also seems to curb appetite.
Have you tried 'calm' magnesium powder? Another hack that I found strangely effective (even though I tried it more as a joke) was Glenn Harrold's 'Deep Sleep Every Night' hypnosis on Audible.

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Dec 15, 2019
MODERATOR NOTE: Use this thread to discuss bio-hacking techniques, a proactive approach to improve performance.NOTHING IN THIS THREAD SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS MEDICAL ADVICE, BY MYSELF, THE POST CONTRIBUTOR, OR MY COMPANY. THIS SIMPLY IS A DISCUSSION ON STRATEGIES OR TACTICS THAT YOU HAVE FOUND HELPFUL, OR NOT HELPFUL.

This thread is starting to get pretty good, so I here is a quick summary of the themes mentioned so far for your convenience:
-Cold shower + Sauna
-Breath exercise, for example the Wim Hof method.
- wearable tech. Ive seen great things about whoop strap, oura ring, fitbit
-take the right version of supplements. See post #5
-use a standing desk
-get 30 min real sunlight
-fasting is great. I believe around 3 days is enough to empty your liver.
-float tank
-nicotine
-meditation

Original post below:

Just wanted to share a really simple and absolutely terrible, yet immensely effective practice.

Cold showers really do work, but you have to go all the way, so your muscles and vessels constrict, pushing your blood and lymphatic fluid out of their positions. As i understand, it also shocks your mitochondria (your cells' energy pretty much), and increases their effectiveness. If you want the details, there is tons of research on exactly what happens around the internet.
If its too intense for you (it was for me), you can try targeting one bodypart at a time. I found just cooling my leg, then the next, and so on, was more manageable, and then work your way into the real deal.

If you have any kind of inflammation, fatigue, or brainfog, I highly recommend giving it a try for a few days. Even if you just flash cold/hot/cold/hot for a few seconds, it does help a lot.

What other simple health tricks do you do?
- Four Sigmatic drinks (focus or chill, depending on the time of day)
- Cryotherapy (1st time I had the best nights sleep and woke up feeling amazing - great for 3 minutes of mental toughness too)
- And love my Whoop band (had it for 3+ years)
- Rise app (helps understand the peak productivity times and when to catch up on sleep debt)
- Yoga (my body moves better and feels more agile when I practice consistently plus the breathing/focus seems to help mentally too)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Apr 16, 2019
Yoga outside every morning - reset circadian rhythm and startup the body

Full-body weightlifting every other day - squats/deadlifts/bench/pullups. 30min sauna on weightlifting days.

Bodyweight mobility/rehab non-weightlifting days

Diet consists of lots of organic veggies and grass-fed meats - little to no processed foods, essentially wiping all soy/corn based foods. Carb intake limited to rice and potatoes here and there.

Avocado oil for cooking, olive oil for salads, grass-fed butter for everything else.

Fresh-squeezed organic orange juice pre-yoga with vitamin D + B-complex.

Special Coffee post yoga - french press coffee brew blended with grass-fed collagen, MCT oil, grass-fed butter, lion's mane mushrooms.

Supplements outside of above mentioned: magnesium from algae, zinc, turmeric, liquid EPA/DHA fish oil, ashwagandha root powder, Reishi extract.

4L+ of water daily intake - water prepped in glass jars and infused with fresh-squeezed lemon/lime juice and chia seeds for structure.

8+h of sleep every night - no naps.

No nicotine, no alcohol, no drugs outside coffee.

* all mushroom powder I consume prepared from fruiting bodies and not mycelial biomass (make sure your supplement is also such otherwise you're getting ripped off)

Bing

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Aug 5, 2011
Regarding sleep (which I consider the biggest and most important biohack, personally), I just got a BedJet delivered yesterday. It has a 60 day warranty (which includes return shipping, if I didn't misunderstand, and that instills confidence to me), so we'll see how it goes.

Last night was quite good, and I think once I dial in my temperatures I might get better REM and/or need fewer hours. I'd been interested in it for years, but just got back from a vacation to Alaska, and one of my clients/fiends up there had one and HIGHLY endorsed it. She put it third in "things I'd recuse in a fire" behind only her two $100k cars. Considering this was under $1k for a dual system (which my pregnant wife is bound to love), if it provides 10% better sleep, it will be worth it to me. If you're interested and I haven't updated, PM me in a month (June 11, 2022) and I'll give you more updated feedback.

Speaking of comfort items, anyone into massage chairs? Again while in Alaska my pregnant wife discovered she loved their massage chair (he said he paid $5k, but years ago) so I'm looking to get her one before her third trimester. (Is there a better place for this question?)

Last edited:

Maliardo

New Contributor
Mar 25, 2022
Are you for or against the legalization of marijuana?

I'm all for legalization, but not in public places, but in places designated for smoking.
People continue to smoke marijuana anyway, circumventing all laws, but to me, people who get drunk look a lot scarier and more aggressive than people who smoke marijuana.
I think alcohol and cigarettes should be banned).
My mom also took CBD OrganicCBDNugs.com in the form of joint pain drops and she said it helped her a lot,
So what form to take is up to you, but the fact that it helps is a fact.
I too often have muscle pain after exercising, sometimes I just can't sleep from this muscle pain, to be honest.
They are more dangerous to our bodies than marijuana, but then again, if you don't abuse anything, you'll be fine)
Well, it seems that way to me at least.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore