The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Sorry to hear an update like that.

Just know you will come out stronger. Theres no doubt you can come out even more successful.

Similar thing happened to me, made more money spent more on stuff, gambling and stupid investments. Struggled with depression and loneliness.

Very powerful catch-22.

Doesnt matter to me where you are now you have my esteem and respect.

Good luck to you sir.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
I was spending all my time working on "fun" things. When I should've been focused on EIGHT.

This, along with the gambling/ drinking could potentially be indicative ADHD, which is quite common in entrepreneurs. Initially, you got a rush from the business because it was new, but over time it became boring/not fun anymore, so you moved on to the next rush. In your case, it's the spending and seeking of novelty to keep your brain on a "high".
Obligatory "I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice", but you may want to get that checked.

Hang in there!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Been there… It sucks.

Alcohol was a major bridge for me to cross. I cut it completely for 10 years then started again. Had to go through the same exact thing again. I am finally at a point where I can drink socially. It was a necessary part of my existence. Painful but life defining.

I once asked someone a stupid question. He was working hard on scraping a floor in one of my apartments. It was incredibly hard work and I felt bad for him. He was on his hands and knees with a razor scraping all the old glue. I asked how he could do that work on a regular basis. His answer was "I just don't let it kick my a$$..."

I remember that and draw on it sometimes.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
@Vick I've followed this thread from the beginning. When I joined this forum I knew absolutely nothing about anything... and it was thread and a couple others that inspired me and showed me a path out of the grind.

Operating my own ecommerce business now, and I probably never would have ever gotten this far if not for you.

You've had an impact, and you can continue to do so.

I'm sorry to hear about the dark times. Persist and don't let it define you.

Like @Ronak said, the entrepreneur life is a F*cking roller coaster... the highest highs and the lowest lows, and sometimes those 2 things can be days apart.

Hang in there. Day by day, just do the next right thing.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Vick, you're honestly one of my major inspirations - this thread has been huge for me and many others in showing that it can be done, how, and the massive upside that is possible.

Some members here know that I've gone through a lot of similar feelings/issues that you are currently going through and honestly - I wish I had a better solution than "this too will pass".

Stay strong man. I sincerely hope this becomes a bounce back thread because you totally have it in you, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Vick

you have been given a gift, man.

you've already done it. you have the proven ability.
you also have the experience of mucking it up.
you know the pitfalls and trap.

this... gives... you... a... huge... advantage...
this gives you a huge advantage.

you have been given an opportunity to do it again the right way, the strong way, the experienced way.

this time the foundation will be deep, wide, set, strong.

you needed to lose it to appreciate it.

now you do it the way it needs to be done. you take your skills and resolve and experience and make it happen.

if you are not sure, don't think you can, question whether you have the strength..... that is normal.
why wouldn't you. this shit is hard. you are strong.

when you go to pick up that drink, think about this for a minute........ there are a hell of a lot of people here that you inspired (just read the thread brother),.... that you opened their eyes, that you gave them hope, you were their hero.

they need their hero to pick himself up and put on his 'S' and go make this happen. the right way, the strong way, the experienced way.

you got this!

[i sent you a dm. answer me. right now. love you, man]

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Thank you all for the support.

I really do miss this forum.
Vick-
You're a star. The glasses are great. You for sure can bring it back.

I've been away for most of the last year, but I had to come back in to respond.

Maybe you should reread your own thread - and be proud of all that you did accomplish.

Get some regular, intense exercise. It cures most all ills.

We're all rooting for you.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
To echo the posters before me, you were an absolute inspiration on this forum.

You will bounce back. We all know you already have it in you.

There is no rush. Take time to heal and surround yourself with friends and a support group.

Do not dwell on what is "lost"...to quote a book I read "Nothing real can ever be threatened".

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA
Hey @Vick , I've always heard that you've got to lose the first pile you make so you know how to handle the second. That was my experience. Printing money in early 2000's in mortgage, believing because I had money I was smart...then the market showed me exactly how smart I was.

Bad investment strategy in real estate, over spending everywhere, etc. and it ended in a bankruptcy.

That was all about a year before I met @MJ DeMarco in Phx (remember the creepy guy that dropped a note into that stunning pearl orange Murci?)

I look back on it and realize that I had the gift of cramming a lifetime of experience into a few short years, and if I could mine that experience for wisdom, I'd have an entirely new lifetime to apply it. It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.

Realizing that many worked a lifetime to get where I did, only to lose it like I did, but without the gift of time to apply the lessons learned and earn it back.

I have imminent confidence that this will simply be the beginning of a much larger, more stable, and more satisfying rise to the top if you allow it to be. But make no mistake, in my experience life will continue to try and teach you a lesson until you learn it, and it will ratchet up the pain each time till the fates sufficiently get your attention...so if I had any unsolicited advice, only learn it once, and attack the learnings from it with the tenacity you built 8...we all know you can.

And while I'm on my soapbox, as a man who also loves the drink, I got some bloodwork done and it clearly showed that the drink wasn't my friend...though I thought it to be my best friend. Take massive action, remove ALL alcohol from your house, don't hang out at places that serve it, if you can't gain easy access, you'll do it less, or hopefully for the near term not at all. Alcohol has a glorious dulling effect to it...I used to quip that when I'd have a few cocktails before noon I've never had a bad day, and it was true. Drunk I could have my house burning down around me and feel like, "meh, it'll all be alright." And for this next step in the journey, your brain and it's clarity is the greatest asset you have.

We're all here for you. You've inspired countless guys on here with your story (myself included) and all this represents is the great challenge for the hero of the story to overcome. The next success will come even faster, so make sure to mine those learnings while they're fresh.

Let's roll bro!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Today I start my new life.
I removed all alcohol.
I'm starting with that first.
Then cigarettes.

I fairly confident I can stop drinking.

Wish me luck.

I'll keep updating.

Thanks my friends.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
I removed all alcohol.
Then cigarettes.

Wish me luck.

I'll keep updating.

Thanks my friends.
Love it, you got this Vick! EIGHT is far from over, and you have shown that you have the determination.

I remember when the first time I saw MJs response to you showing signs of being in the desert of desertion, and he sounded seriously concerned that that would be the end... and yet you went through. Why not now?

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA
I removed all alcohol.
Then cigarettes.

Wish me luck.

I'll keep updating.

Thanks my friends.
You've got this bro, here to help if I can...

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Hey @Vick

Just want to pile on and say that however dark things might look now, I have no doubt that you will climb out of it and come out stronger.

Sometimes looking at the worst case scenario can also be helpful..

You are NOT your money, you are NOT your business/toys/successes...

Even if you have to walk away from it all and start fresh, you are just as valueable and worthy as a human as you were during the peak you've experienced. Arguably you are already wiser and more humble now.

The past successes are a result of you..you are the cause, they are just the effect.

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
Well.... Here we go. Very nervous and scared and excited all at the same time. Hands are shaking.

Today marks the beginning of a brand new project for me. One that will hopefully change my life forever.

I've had this idea in the back of my head for awhile now. Only recently I've decided to pursue this new endeavour with everything I have.

It's a HUGE undertaking, one that I was hesitant to pursue. And it will be extremely difficult to pull off.

Now that my small online business is 80% completely automated. I now have the time and resources available to pursue this massive project. AND most importantly, the capital to back it now. Which was the goal for Pixel Prints, to provide a revenue stream for projects such as this. And not to rely on investors capital for the prototype and research process. OR my full-time job income.

I hate to be that person that doesn't divulge any information about my idea/product right away. But I feel that a working prototype of my idea is a better way to illustrate/prove my ideas potential to the community. Plus I need to prove this idea to myself first.

Over the next 3-6 months, maybe more, I'll be working on some prototype models.

Once I feel that I have something decent to show, I'll post my progress and idea to the community.

I have never pursued a task this big before, it will be extremely difficult and require an insane amount of work. But I can't leave this idea on the shelf anymore. I need to put the first piece of the puzzle into place. I have to try otherwise I'll regret it forever.

I'm pretty nervous writing this, mostly due to the fact that it solidifies my dedication to the project. Seeing as I don't like to not finish what I start, or disappoint people. Especially an amazing community like this.

My gut is telling me that I truly have something great here. I just hope my gut is right.

So please be patient with me, and hopefully I'll have something great to share with the community.

In the mean time. Here’s a video ;)

Cheers,

CEO Andrea Guerra comments on Full Year 2012 Record Results - Luxottica
Great work with all of this, congratulations!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Looks like I may have to file bankruptcy... Jeez.

Anyone know much about this? Gone through this?

I mean, does it totally screw your life up? I've researched a bit, still kinda confused.

Just wondering if anyone knows all the cons, I'm assuming there is no pros, other then debt going away.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Looks like I may have to file bankruptcy... Jeez.

Anyone know much about this? Gone through this?

I mean, does it totally screw your life up? I've researched a bit, still kinda confused.

Just wondering if anyone knows all the cons, I'm assuming there is no pros, other then debt going away.
Stays on your record for 7 years. Will ruin your credit. Have you thought about liquidating Eight to cover your debts?

How much are you looking at in terms of what you owe? Have you talked to the lenders about restructuring?

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Stays on your record for 7 years. Will ruin your credit. Have you thought about liquidating Eight to cover your debts?

How much are you looking at in terms of what you owe? Have you talked to the lenders about restructuring?

Haven't answered those questions yet. I've just started thinking about it.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
do you owe personal? or does the business owe?

had a buddy do it personal .... .5 years of payments and restrictions ....... no cc's or extra money for that time ...... can't get our early w/o paying more .... saved their house equity and retirement funds though.....

getting cc's or buying a house type stuff will be a no go for a while......

if business, let that shit go and start again fresh.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
do you owe personal? or does the business owe?

had a buddy do it personal .... .5 years of payments and restrictions ....... no cc's or extra money for that time ...... can't get our early w/o paying more .... saved their house equity and retirement funds though.....

getting cc's or buying a house type stuff will be a no go for a while......

if business, let that shit go and start again fresh.

Any business debt is going to be personally guaranteed.

It depends on how deep of a hole you're trying to get out of Vick. You may be able to salvage your credit by liquidating assets - might be best to talk to an attorney off the record on your situation.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Any business debt is going to be personally guaranteed.

Yup, exactly this.

Most people think that starting a corporation or llc or whatever grants you personal financial immunity but the reality is that it's pretty hard to get loans against your business without a personal guarantee - especially as a startup or small business.

The benefits of a corporation for "small guys" largely has to do with taxes. It's also has certain benefits to protect you against legal action (from non-lenders, like Joe Blow who wants to sue your business for whatever reason), although even then there are plenty of situations where the owner can still be held liable.

@Vick - Unless you don't think you'll need access to credit (which is doubtful in today's world), I would do your best to avoid it at all costs. Many lenders will work with you to find creative solutions, including reduced payments or extended timeframes or whatever - they WANT to get paid and working with a willing client down on their luck is a hell of a lot more likely than sending it to collections.

Debt consolidators are also very eager to work with you because... well that's their entire business model. Buying other people's debt and working with the clients to figure out how to ensure they'll get paid.

If you have access to a line of credit, perhaps from your house's equity, you can use that as your own consolidation source as well. Making min payments on a 4-5% credit line is a HELL of a lot easier to swallow than 19.99% on most credit cards.

Obviously liquidating your inventory is a quick way to access cash as well, or sell the business entirely (which I'm assuming is on the table if you're willing to consider bankruptcy). I'm sure with your track history in the business you can really make a great case for this being a great opportunity that just needs a little TLC.

Just some ideas I thought I'd spitball.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Update.

Well, on the plus side. My sales are slowly increasing. I'm averaging about $800 - $1500 a day in Revenue, with an ad spend limit of $250. So that's a good sign on return. My new ads and funnel seem to be working.

On the downside, it looks as though I may have no choice but to file bankruptcy. OR at least talk to someone about getting my debts under control.

Soo, I guess we will see how that pans out.

With that said, EIGHT doesn't seem to be dead. It just needs some love. It's been neglected for a couple years.

I'll just keep grinding away. SLOWLY increase my ad spend accordingly. Take baby steps forward. Only thing I can do.

Either way, these past two weeks have been fairly positive.

Also, I'd like to say that I haven't drank... But I did, the other night... So I gotta start over again with that. At least it's not every other night. So that's a positive as well.

Anyway, I'm still fighting that. It's gonna be a struggle.

Cheers my friends.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Update.

Well, on the plus side. My sales are slowly increasing. I'm averaging about $800 - $1500 a day in Revenue, with an ad spend limit of $250. So that's a good sign on return. My new ads and funnel seem to be working.

On the downside, it looks as though I may have no choice but to file bankruptcy. OR at least talk to someone about getting my debts under control.

Soo, I guess we will see how that pans out.

With that said, EIGHT doesn't seem to be dead. It just needs some love. It's been neglected for a couple years.

I'll just keep grinding away. SLOWLY increase my ad spend accordingly. Take baby steps forward. Only thing I can do.

Either way, these past two weeks have been fairly positive.

Also, I'd like to say that I haven't drank... But I did, the other night... So I gotta start over again with that. At least it's not every other night. So that's a positive as well.

Anyway, I'm still fighting that. It's gonna be a struggle.

Cheers my friends.
I'm not sure the nature of your loans (if you mentioned it, then sorry I missed it), but I would try talking directly to the creditors to see if you can get some flexibility. They would rather extend the payments than have to deal with the whatever they get out of bankruptcy.

Keep your head up. This thread is a huge inspiration, and if you're able to get back to those sales numbers even in just this short amount of time, then I have no doubt you'll dig yourself out of this.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I'm not sure the nature of your loans (if you mentioned it, then sorry I missed it), but I would try talking directly to the creditors to see if you can get some flexibility. They would rather extend the payments than have to deal with the whatever they get out of bankruptcy.

Keep your head up. This thread is a huge inspiration, and if you're able to get back to those sales numbers even in just this short amount of time, then I have no doubt you'll dig yourself out of this.

My credit is actually really good. It's just I'm running out of money to pay these debts off. When I run out, that's when my credit might go to shit.

Just have to stay positive, and yes, talk to someone. See what my options are.

It's a catch up game right now. I'd have to start making about $1500 - $3000 a day to MAYBE be able to come back.

I try not to get my head wrapped around my debts. Need my head to be clear and focused.

Anyway, time will tell.

Thanks my friend! Cheers

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
My credit is actually really good. It's just I'm running out of money to pay these debts off. When I run out, that's when my credit might go to shit.

Just have to stay positive, and yes, talk to someone. See what my options are.

It's a catch up game right now. I'd have to start making about $1500 - $3000 a day to MAYBE be able to come back.

I try not to get my head wrapped around my debts. Need my head to be clear and focused.

Anyway, time will tell.

Thanks my friend! Cheers

Agree with carecpa, some creditors are pretty flexible. If your credit is still good, you may want to look at 0% balance transfer offers, some will let you stretch 15-18 months with a 3% fee, possibly saving a ton of interest and spacing out payments longer. Good for you on building it back up, so much of this is a mental game. Make sure you're getting out of the house for some social interaction, go join improv or something!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Agree with carecpa, some creditors are pretty flexible. If your credit is still good, you may want to look at 0% balance transfer offers, some will let you stretch 15-18 months with a 3% fee, possibly saving a ton of interest and spacing out payments longer. Good for you on building it back up, so much of this is a mental game. Make sure you're getting out of the house for some social interaction, go join improv or something!

Thanks!
Ya. I need to get out more. All I do is sit in front of my computer, eat and sleep.
I feel as though any time away from my computer is wasted time.
But, yeah. I need to get out. Not sure about improv lol.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hello my friends.
Been awhile since I've posted.
Last couple years of my life have been a shit show.
So much has happened.
Pretty much lost everything.
Divorce. Stress. Depression. Heavy drinking. Chain smoking. A lot of Debt.
It just keeps adding up.
It has not been good.
I've made some pretty bad choices.
And now I'm paying for them.

And of course.
EIGHT suffered the brunt of that.
I just didn't care anymore. Let it slowly circle the drain.
The company sales dropped significantly over the years. Went from doing 80-140k a month. Down to 0-20k.
The only thing I have left is my F*cken car. And it looks like I'll be selling that come spring.

I don't know what to say.

Worst years of my life.

I don't even know if I can keep the brand alive.
My confidence is near 0.
I've lost all the urge to work on it. At least with the attention it needs. I feel like it's a lost cause.
And we still have about 400k in inventory.

I'll keep grinding.
But seriously... I'm pretty much F*cked.
And have to basically start all over again.

TO THE NEWBIES READING THIS.

PLEASE. PLEASE! PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF THE UNIVERSE.

BE SMARTER WITH MONEY! Don't let it get to you.

Trust me.

You do not want to be where I am.

It's F*cken horrible.

And extremely difficult to get out of.

I don't even know if I can.

Mad respect for being open about this stuff. It's important that everyone understand that this shit ain't always pretty.

Let me know if you need anything. I'm in the Toronto area (dunno if you're still in the GTA) and available to chat.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Mad respect for being open about this stuff. It's important that everyone understand that this shit ain't always pretty.

Let me know if you need anything. I'm in the Toronto area (dunno if you're still in the GTA) and available to chat.

Thanks.
I'm in Peterborough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.