The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$500,000 Side Revenue By 2019 Or Bust - A Crypto Follow Along

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I decided to start this thread purely for me.

Sorry, but at least I'm honest. right?

I wanted to hold myself accountable because I told myself I would do $X outside normal "business" setups ( selling online, flipping homes, etc ) this year. Unless I make this thread where I have the chance of having egg all over my face and looking stupid, I might not hit my goal.

My $X goal? Let's wing it and call it an extra $500k this year.

I also started this as a way to test all the crazy a$$ ideas I have, but I'm going to focus all my crazy a$$ ideas about crypto here.

I'll post some scripts I've built, scripts I haven't yet but would like to, what Im doing specifically, and how much money I'm willing to play with on this thread.

As a background, I use to trade Forex back a long time ago. I made 10's of dollars from it.

Also, I have a few different accounts and this thread will be about just 1 of those crypto accounts.

Example, I have a sizable amount in 1 account I use for a specific purpose. This thread won't be about that account. I'm going to essentially start with a smaller account that more closely matches what a beginner would have starting out in crypto. Plus this smaller account is "safe" for me to test my "crazy" ideas on ( just in case this all goes to shit ).

I'll post more later in the day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So right now, my main strategy is this:
  • Trade 1-3 coins max, only
    • Because I don't have time for much more and I don't want to get down a rabbit hole of news on 1k+ coins
    • Because I want to master a coin ( master it's trends and news, etc )
    • Because it just makes it easier to see the right opportunity

• Only care about the bottoms
    • Money is made on the purchase, not the sell
    • IMHO, bottoms are a bit more concrete to see then possible highs. Bottoms can only go so low ( to 0 ) where as the highs can be limitless
    • I'm going to always automate the high. Meaning when I buy, my sell is automatically going to be $X or a set %. If I set the price to $10 more than I bought and it sells and ends up going to $30 higher, Im OK with the "lost opportunity" because I hit my target anyways.

• I'm probably going to stick to COIN/USD pairs on almost all trades.
    • I had my fill of trading COIN/BTC and COIN/ETH already. Hey I made a great gain on XLM, but BTC went to shit in the process and I didn't gain as much USD. In the end USD is what I want

• Most of what I am doing when I make my trades will be heavy on TA. TA isn't 100% of what I am looking at though. I just wanted to put this out there just in case.

• I don't care about long term holds or long term growth.
    • I'm looking to make a profit daily even if small
    • I'm not worried about buying a coin at $X price and waiting 12 months for higher return.
    • Please don't tell me to hold longer term, I'm not looking for that in THIS thread
    • I appreciate your advice on the above, but this thread itself has a different goal. I however might take your advice on my other crypto account though. This thread is not that however.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Im also going to be doing most, if not all of this, on Gdax because I happen to have already had the "smaller" account I needed there and set up/funded so no wait in this thread for verifications and money transfer.

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Seems reasonable, been doing a bit of trading as well small amounts simply because I can't learn from paper trading I have to have skin in the game. It'll be cool to see where you go with this.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So which coin am I going to base most of my trades on?

LTC/USD

Why? I've always like LTC, even way before the recent LitePay announcement and have made many trades with it in the past. I'm no expert in it, but I like the "stability" it has compared to other coins and a few other things you will see in a minute.

Plus call me odd, but I like owning the whole coin instead of dealing with fractions of a coin. Yeah weird I know but I just like dealing with whole numbers than .00005678 of a coin and the math involved when figuring out shit on the fly without my calculator ( I still do shit old school at times ).

So how did I come up to LTC in the first place over others.

I made a spreadsheet

I'm going to share it with you, but if this gets abused or shared outside the forum, I will take this thing down and it will never go back up.

CryptoMine

( BTW if you open this and see errors, thats on the API's end.. not this sheet. There is nothing I can do about that. Try to refresh the page in 5 minutes and it should all load )

Important thing to note, you WILL have to scroll to the far right and also scroll down to see everything.

You won't understand it, but I made it for me so here goes what each section is:

1. Top - Last 30 days data, per day, from an API that ends up showing me in red averages for the 30 day data. I use this for "recent historical" analysis

2. Far right scroll - Last 30 days data, but the difference in high and low for each day.

3. Last 720 5-minute events. Basically same averages as the last 30 days data above, but for the last 720 5-minute events. I use this for really "recent" analysis.

So while you only see one tab here, this sheet actually had many more. 1 tab per coin I was looking at.

I looked over all the coins and narrowed it down to about 5, then to 1 which was LTC.

So why was this important?

Since I am holding very short term, sometimes just hours.. I wanted to know the intraday high and low averages and which coins had enough "spread" ( or volatility ) for me to make a good return. Good return in "per coin" trade.

2018-02-19_1332.png

The 30-day spread between daily high and low is 28.755
14-day is 31
7-day is 22
3-day is 27

I know I can't realistically hit the all-time low and all-time high each day. It's impossible.

But maybe I can catch the 80% marks, right?

Thats where I came in with 3 Day 80% / 2 because that's the 3 day average spread, at 80% divided by 2 ( so I can find a midway point ).

I know I could easily now make $11 per coin if I find the bottom(s) for the day and set my automatic sell at $11 maybe.

But I'm gonna go even safer and set it at a $5 sell.

So if I can find a real bottom(s) for the day, I know there will be likely a $27-$31 gain to the top maybe in the next 24 hours based on averaged data.

But again, this is averaged. It's not 100% data daily.

This why I try for 80% of that.

This is also why I divide by 2, because I might not wake up until noon and if I see a high price on my charts at 8am for $205, but at noon we are at $201.. I know I am nowhere near a "possible" bottom because we have only moved $4 on those 2 time frames.

I need to be watching if we cross below $194, or if we are above $216.

Why? cause that's $11 of the 8am high so far and $11 is half of $22 which is 80% of the 27 3-day average.

I'm not even going to look at the charts again ( I wait for an alert on my phone or desktop ) until LTC hits $194 or $216 because at $201 it's just moving sideways from $205 and it might do that for hours and days.

So I picked LTC because of it's spread potential.

I also picked it because I could get back into USD VERY easily and not mess with BTC ups and downs.

I also like owning the whole coin. Remember, I am starting out at a beginners level on this thread/account to show the potential to others.

Right now, that account has $1,245 in it so I could hold ETH too, but I like having multiple whole LTC.

My exit plan

So lets say I'm down to $196 now on that LTC price.

I could buy in there, or maybe I wait for lower ( I'll show you more on this in a bit ). But lets say I buy at $196.

I set my exit up easily.

As soon as I buy, I set a sell for $201.

Sure it could go down to $185 and I wait. But it could spike to $201 within the hour or 2 and I've sold capturing $5 per coin. Remember, this coin has an average ( 30, 14, 7, 3 ) that hovers around the $27 dollar mark so it could go below $196 from $205 to $185 easily.

This isn't for me to show you what I would do in a trade, I'm merely showing you my "automatic" exit plan on all trades.

How I find my bottom for the day is another story though. This was just showing you the exit setup at a default and automatic $X or %.

I'll show you more on my bottom finding later....

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So you can see my goal is $5 a coin every 24 hours at least once.

However, sometimes I might have to wait 48-72 hours if things are going sideways.

I might also be able to do this 2-3x a day too making $15 per coin.

At $1,248 in my Gdax smaller account, at the time of this writing, I could hold 5.8 LTC coins and do between $29 to $87 a day.

When LTC was $150 just 6 days ago, it was more like $40 to $120 a day because you could get 8 coins on that amount.

Big money? No, but it could be for you if you make $0 right now or just want to play around some.

Safe? No, so only play with what you can lose. I assume ( and I could be wrong ) most people can spare $1200-ish dollars.

Will this get me to $500k by 2019? More than likely no. But you have to take your gains and reinvest them, not take them out and live on them if you start at this level and want to hit $500k in 9.5 months.

This is just a test, not my livelihood.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Before I show you everything about my TA, I want to post this.

2018-02-19_1415.png

The top chart is a 3 hour view of LTC on 2-18-2018. It's from midnight to 3am essentially.

We have 2 times, in 3 hours, we could have made $5 per coin and this isn't even the high or low prices for the 18th.

The low that day was $211, the high was $229.

The important thing to note is you can make money in the middle of those points multiple times a day.

In my image you also see more stuff at the middle and bottom of the image that is not a chart.

Those are my custom "indicators" I developed.

I'm a huge advocate of "layers" in decision making.

Having layers helps reduce my risk because one indicator might tell me to buy now, but unless 2 or more are present, it might be a false positive.

This will be a important lesson going forward, to rely on just 1 indicator or information source ( even if news or tweets ).

Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is there a record for amount of time to Notable? I would think this one would be close.

This is awesome information, and is a nice addition to the day-trading info I've been absorbing. My biggest limitation is that I don't have 14 hours a day to watch charts, so the though of automating is very appealing.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Is there a record for amount of time to Notable? I would think this one would be close.

This is awesome information, and is a nice addition to the day-trading info I've been absorbing. My biggest limitation is that I don't have 14 hours a day to watch charts, so the though of automating is very appealing.

Hmm, not sure what you mean time to notable.. as in time needed to act on data that is relevant in the trades so that the data is notable? Maybe I am confused.. I did just get back from the summit. LOL

So Im watching the 5-minute chart on TradingView for 99% of all of this and I typically look at the last 3 days of info at a visual glance if I do anything like Fibs.

I do also tend to look at 30-min and 1-hr charts, just at a glance to see any bigger trends, but I try to stick with whats happening the last 24 hours and 3 days over all at the 5-min chart.. with a backup to 30-min and 1hr charts from time to time.

As far as picking my coin, I went back 30 days max in initial selection from the many I start with to look at. When I got down to 5 coins I took a bigger time range view to get it narrowed to just LTC for most of the trades.

I got you on the 14 hours part. Since Im working on the desktop/laptop all day I can kinda pop in, but when away I have this on the phone too. However, I rely on my "alerts" to tell me when I need to be looking at the charts.

Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hmm, not sure what you mean time to notable.. as in time needed to act on data that is relevant in the trades so that the data is notable? Maybe I am confused.. I did just get back on the summit. LOL

So Im watching the 5-minute chart on TradingView for 99% of all of this and I typically look at the last 3 days of info at a visual glance if I do anything like Fibs.

I do also tend to look at 30-min and 1-hr charts, just at a glance to see any bigger trends, but I try to stick with whats happening the last 24 hours and 3 days over all at the 5-min chart.. with a backup to 30-min and 1hr charts from time to time.

As far as picking my coin, I went back 30 days max in initial selection from the many I start with to look at. When I got down to 5 coins I took a bigger time range view to get it narrowed to just LTC for most of the trades.

I got you on the 14 hours part. Since Im working on the desktop/laptop all day I can kinda pop in, but when away I have this on the phone too. However, I rely on my "alerts" to tell me when I need to be looking at the charts.
Poor phrasing, I mean amount of time from when a thread is posted until it's marked Notable by @MJ DeMarco. This one is full of useful, actionable information.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So here is a bigger view of my chart day to day typically. Sometimes I add on indicators, sometimes I have Fib charts and Gann fans, but this is typical.

( something is wrong, trying to fix the link and image )
https://content.screencast.com/user...8d-4622-8ed2-bb73fc4b4896/2018-02-19_1437.png

This might be hard to see, but I linked it so you can click and view it larger. But this is the last 24 hours from today's date.

I covered up my indicators names for right now only because I want you to pay attention to the strategy, not go and try to find the indicators.

That first green box, I had multiple indicators going off for a few back to back 5-min events. This is the time to enter in.

Notice, later on a lower price happened right outside the green box.

You would have entered in ( in my green box ) at a price higher than the low. That's OK.

You wont hit the lowest low daily or get a indicator for it. This is why I showed you the 3 day average 80% stuff because you wont hit the lowest low or highest high daily. It's just impossible.

So if you got in, in the green box, you would have still cashed out $5 per coin just a few hours later

The red box is the same. You're getting in on multiple indicators but it's not the lowest low because that came a few hours later.

You did get in around 80% of the lowest low and within 10 hours you would have hit your $5 sell goal and sold ( per coin of LTC ).

I'll explain more about my indicators later, but the important point is to try to automate and not worry about reaching the lowest low and taking an automatic sell at a predefined price point.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Poor phrasing, I mean amount of time from when a thread is posted until it's marked Notable by @MJ DeMarco. This one is full of useful, actionable information.

Ha. ok. I kinda thought that may be it too.. but I didnt want to be ego like and wanted to make sure I was trying to help if there was a question about time in crypto viewing.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So here are a few more rules I live by...

I need more than 1 indicator to tell me it's time to possibly buy.

If you look at the chart again, you will see times only 1 indicator is present ( bottom half of image ) for a certain 5-min event and you will even see where that 1 indicator is right!

But I'm playing with my money. I need a few to align up with that same 5-min event before I put my hard earned Jefferson's on the line. So if I see a blue indicator, I need to see a gold or black or purple align up with it for the SAME 5-min event.

I need the indicators to be back to back indicators. Meaning, it happened this 5-min, the next 5-min, etc.

What I mean is this:

2018-02-19_1517.png

So the bottom half of this image, those blues, golds, blacks, and purples are all individual 5-min event alerts. I want to see more than 1 blue or 1 gold or 1 black, etc. I want to see them back to back.

So 2-3 blues min. Or 2-3 blacks min. You get it? 10 of them back to back.. even better!

So I like to see them back to back as that shows me a trend is happening in time.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So if I were to look at today, 2-19-2017 at 3:27 pm, I kinda know its gonna be awhile before I can trade.

2018-02-19_1526.png

This is today's chart up to 3:28pm EST. I did include a few hours late 2-18 so you can see the low of $213.

Why is it going to be a while before I can trade?

Because the low basically started at $213 late yesterday and even if we just count today, it was around $214-215 ish.

At 3:28pm EST we are at $225.

Remember, this coin averages around $27 a day. The 3-day 80% average is $22. Half of $22 is $11.

From $214 to $225 is what? $11 dollars.

We are at the halfway mark of our range. It could go up, it could go down. We are not at a bottom "price goal" wise.

We also have no indicators lighting up today EXCEPT 1.

Gonna have to wait this one out.

Not only do I not have a bottom in pure pricing for this coin, I have no indicators really. Maybe something will happen later today/tonight.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Before I show you the indicators, I want to tell you one last thing.

The reason I am not hung up on the lowest low is, I'm just trying to make money.

It doesn't have to be the most money, it just needs to be defined and somewhat expected to return in a short amount of time.

The reason my indicators do not "light up" at the lowest lows, is that just because you hit the lowest low for today, doesn't mean you will get a quick rebound back up to make gains. You might sit at the lowest low going sideways in price for a while and not bounce quickly back up. You know, those $1-$3 gains that slowly inch their way up, by $1 to $3 over 2 days time every 5 minutes while also going down $1-$2 too another 5-minutes.

Sure that's a raise in the long run, but its not a spike back up. Its a slow grudging crawl up the side of DiamondBack, not the quick run up the sand hill. I'm trying to find that low that will produce a quick run up the sand hill so I can collect my $5 per coin and do it again at the best chance possible.

That's a huge difference in mindset.

I missed the lowest low? No problem.. I already got my money back into USD which is good for me and possibly could be leverage if the coin goes down in price.

My indicators, while not perfect, are built to spot a low that had a very high chance of rebounding back up to the $5 or more price gain.

Last edited:

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
All good stuff, thanks for making this. The surest way in trading crypto is without a doubt timing the lows and catching the rebounds for quick xx% gains. Yoda like patience is required for manual entries, but a programmatic approach could certainly work as well with enough backtesting and data to back up the patterns.

Looking forward to the progress!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

So Im looking at LTC again for today and a few days back. The red arrow down ( large red arrow ) shows where 2-19-2017 started ( midnight ).

I draw on my chart 2 vertical red lines ( at $232 and $212 ) because based on recent historic data ( last few days ), this is obtainable low and high. Obtainable because we already hit it recently.

Then I made vertical blue and green lows in the same fashion. These were not obtainable highs and lows, but they were "hey this looks like resistance/trend levels for low and high".

Now I don't base these lines/prices on my buy or sell points, but I like to look at where the trend is right now in my strategy at times.

Since we are at $221 right now for LTC, and we are a bit lower than the middle of the "green lines" channel, I know for sure there is no buy price coming up for a while still.

If we were touching the lower green bar, or even the lower blue bar, I could say we might be getting close to a possible buy in price. HOWEVER, I would still only buy when an indicator came up. I just like knowing how far off we might be from that event is all.

We know, based on the past few hours/day, we have the potential to hit the lower green and blue bar, and more than likely ( unless we hit a run up ) our downward target. If an indicator comes up, it will be near that lower green and blue bar.

This is just a visual aid for me, not an indicator. If we hit the lower green or blue or even the low red line, if I don't have an indicator.. I'm not buying in.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
OK, so this is the first indicator I am going to show you.

I call it 6 hour Average Rate of Change.

Why 6 hours? I just felt that was a good review period.

A lot of my indicators where partial ideas someone else coded, but didn't fully do the way I liked or wanted done, so some code will be used from others. Some are just mine. Some aren't mine but I customized, etc. Just putting that out there.

If you use TradingView, you can take my Pine code and insert into your chart.

Of note, most of my scripts I used for 5-minute viewing on TradingView. Most work well on other time frames, but I built it for 5-minute views as best use.

Also, I can not walk you through setting up custom code or if this code doesn't work in your TradingView chart.

Code:
//@version=2
study(title="ROC Averaged Last 6 Hours", shorttitle="Avg ROC 6hr")
lengthb = 72
sum = 0
tot = 0
for i = 1 to lengthb-1
    num = i+9
    if 100 * (close[i] - close[num])/close[num] < 0
        sum := sum + (100 * (close[i] - close[num])/close[num])
        tot := tot+1
ending = sum/tot

rocb = 100 * (close - close[9])/close[9]
buy_signals = rocb < ending-1
buy_signalsb = rocb < ending-2

plotarrow(buy_signals, colorup=blue)
plotarrow(buy_signalsb, colorup=red)

It will add this to your chart

And this is what it looks like with your chart

You can see the red and blue lines match up with lows in the chart.

Are they the lowest lows? No. But they are lows.

Specifically, they are rates of change greater than rate of change over the last 6 hours ( rolling to the 5-min event )

So if you are watching your chart right now and a red or blue pops up, thats a rate of change dip/low greater than the rate of change over the last 6 hours rolling.

Will it be time to buy in for you? Will it be the lowest low? Maybe, maybe not.

That's why we look at other indicators. That's why I drew the red/green/blue lines in the other posting above. That's why I look at the price for today and the 3-day average 80% stuff too.

However, what you can do is tell Tradingview you want an alert to be sent to you phone or email when a red or blue line pops up on this chart now so you can log in and "see" if you are ready for a buy or not based on other info.

The red or blue lines on this indicator are actually the same thing, but the blue indicates a slightly less rate of change compared to red. Red is a stronger signal that a greater rate of change happened.

Blue is a weaker one, but is still a greater rate of change compared to last 6 hours.

I like blues because its like a early warning system, whereas red can be thought of as the event almost.

I mean, you do need time to pause what you are doing, log in, look over, and make the trade ( if you do ), so I put blue in there as a way to pad some time.

You should not use this indicator alone/by itself when trading. It is only good to help you as a layer.

But think about the psychology behind why a rate of change right now would be greater at this 5-min event than the rolling average 6 hours rate of change.

Could be people think the coin is overpriced, or people are pulling out due to bad news.

You don't know, but this will point out that event for you potentially. It shouldn't be used as a gauge of lowest price because it will not always point that out.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Im going to stop here for the day.

Will give me time to edit the above ( I have horrible spelling, grammar, and sometimes the concepts aren't clear ) and add/takeaway anything confusing.

It will also allow people to ask questions.

I will more than likely start trading in this account Wednesday or Thursday so just buying some time to teach in here what I am doing.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
@eliquid sorry if I missed it (lots of writing already)...will your beliefs on long term value play in your trades?
Edit: lol nm read more

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
@eliquid sorry if I missed it (lots of writing already)...will your beliefs on long term value play in your trades?

If you mean something like:
  • I feel XRP will be a good long term hold for X reason
  • I feel TRN will be a garbage dump long term for X reason

Then my answer is "kinda"

The reason is, I've made money on those coins sinking like a ship with a bad rep. And I've made it on a coin mooning with a good rep. So I know these quick and little trades can happen all over not dependant on their long term rep or what I think of them long term.

However, at the same time one of the things that interested me about LTC before I learned their spread was it was a top 20 coin. Top 20 coin doesn't mean much really because we all have seen what happened to XVG and TRN and a few others that broke the top 20 at some point.

Then I dug into other things and liked what I saw. So at some point internally I had to feel good and cozy about this coin before I started digging into it's spread over 30 days and narrowing it down to finally picking it for most of my trades.

So in a way, long term feel good cozy got me to LTC when I was selecting it against other coins.

But when I do the trades day by day, that is not impacting my choice of where I come in and out of it because Im looking short term.

I do love those news events though, even when Im short term, that make the long term value go up potentially ( like the recent news they had ).

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Just posting up some LTC today.

I might trade, I might not. Was waiting until Wed or Thursday to give this thread enough time for questions.

Anyways. LTC jumped today

High of $251 and low so far today of $235.

I drew a channel in blue lines representing -$11 from $251 and +$11 from $235 and looks like the current price is trading right in the box.

I want to stay away from the middle of the channel and put my buy in hopefully at the bottom of the blue line ONLY if I have an indicator light up.

I'm going to back up the buy with checking the 1hr chart as well if I do.

I've noticed for months now the activity seems to really be in the late evening & early morning ( EST time ) like from 11pm EST to 4am EST. Probably activity in Asia.

As far as my indicators, they did pick up the activity today on the lows.

2018-02-20_1223.png

Acting on multiple alerts is key.

If I would have acted on that black and red 6hr ROC alert, I would have been holding longer to make profit or possibly fell into a longer dip. This is also a reason I like to see back to back indicators too ( 2-3 blacks in a row ). As you see we don't have that here.

At best what we had was a signal something was heading downward.

The blue alert with the blue 6hr ROC AND the green/red lines dip under the dotted line was a good multiple and aligned entry at $236 for my style of buy. I could have cashed back out in less than an hour. There were no back to back alerts ( like 2-4 blues ), but sometimes you gamble and win on singles.

Lesson? Wait for at least 3 different indicators to align up and also know where your price channel is before you make the trade.

I didn't trade on these. Just showing you more of what I look for and what I like to see.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Possible entry coming up. But I need those indicators!

Nothing yet, but almost crossing the bottom of my price channel

2018-02-20_1249.png

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So it crossed the lower price channel, but no indicators yet.

Could still be a good entry, but I'm gonna wait and see.

2018-02-20_1443.png

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So far, just seems to be trading sideways.

Crossed lower level price channel, then went back up and hit the upper range of the channel too.

No indicators hit and while it did do $5 per coin within the price channel, I would have had to time the buy in perfectly to have grabbed it and that's almost impossible which is why I talk about the 3-day average and 80% stuff.

Maybe later tonight something will hit instead.
2018-02-20_1734.png

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So funny story.

After updating this thread last night, I watched LTC take the huge shit downward and I thought, "perfect time to jump in".

It wasn't.

I bought in at $236, its at $207 currently.

I had nothing predicting such a huge slide down below the $236 mark really, minus $2-3 dollars per coin maybe.

Gonna have to hold a bit until it reaches back up and maybe take the small loss and try again.

This is why you only play with money you have to lose.

You might take 4 small losses and then get 1 big win that makes up for it. I'm not trying to do that, but it can happen.

On another note, I was too eager to trade as well. I really wanted that first trade in this account and posting on this thread, so I emotionally jumped too early. I had just got my indicators too, but I didn't wait for the multiple back to backs.

Sometimes you take it on the chin. It's a good reminder to not do it again in the future.

Many people are eager to tell you their wins ( know any gamblers? ), but hardly talk about their losses and failures. Hopefully you learn from this and my mistake.

Things will have to slide back up a bit before I do another trade.

First trade and first loss on this follow along.

Last edited:

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Wow @eliquid, I'm super keen to get some tools built to improve my own trading or perhaps even packaged up and sold as a SaaS so this is going to be a super interesting thread for me.

$500k from crypto is certainly doable, rooting for you!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
For those of you curious how it played out...

I watched the early slide happen in real time.

When it hit $236 I thought this was a good entry. I had my first alert all aligned in other indicators but I just jumped too early. I got the early warning instead of the good bottom.

The first red arrow is where I got in ( dotted purple line ).

The second arrow is where I should have got in.

I learned a few lessons, mostly from a TA standpoint it was looking at more than the 5-min chart on the emotional trigger jump. I should have done what I said I would do before and that's back it up with the 1-hr chart.

I should have also took the earlier loss when it ramped back up to $232, but I held on.. again due to emotion.

Not worried though. When you lose money you have to not "get scared" to try again. I haven't really lost it, I'm just holding a bit for a better exit which might take a while to get back to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.