The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Our Kickstarter Is Live! Follow Along!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
(@MJ DeMarco approved this before posting)

As many INSIDERS may know I have a pretty extensive progress thread on the inside for my new jigsaw puzzle company: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/progress-insider-bone-owl-puzzles.72873

About an hour ago we officially went live!!!

Check it out: Bone Owl Jigsaw Puzzles

KS-combo.jpg

It would mean the absolute world to me if you help spread the word about this project that has been almost a full year in the making.

This is easily the most ambitious project I've ever worked on and I've put a TON of time and money into making sure every aspect of this company has been considered from a quality-first standpoint. No shortcuts.

Here's a few of things that we think make this special:

- We hired artists directly to produce original, never before seen images.
- We focused on themes that are largely completely ignored in the jigsaw puzzle world.
- We found the top jigsaw puzzle factory in the USA to keep quality/consistency extremely high
- We are paying extra for thicker pieces which hold together better
- Likewise we're adding a linen texture finish which only the top puzzle companies in the world utilize. Adds a seriously nice look/feel to the pieces.
- Each piece is random cut, not ribbon cut, which is a fancy way of saying the pieces are a far more interesting shape.

In typical Gary V fashion, I've been "jab, jab, jabbing" on this forum trying to help as many people on here as possible over the years and I've never truly asked for much in return.
Now I need a "right-hook" kind of favor.

If you love puzzles - consider backing the project. The puzzles are awesome.
If you just want to help spread the word - that is also EXTREMELY helpful.

I've made a dead easy share page to take all the work out of sharing this: www.boneowl.com/pages/share

(And as always - ask any questions you have, I'm busy beyonD belief but I'll get to every question, I promise)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Patrick R

Shwizzle Shwazzle
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Sep 11, 2016
Maine
Unreal! This is awesome! Your progress thread as been a fantastic read and inspirational. So glad this is truly happening for you now. I just backed the kickstarter and now have to wait until Feb.....where's the time machine.....

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
(@MJ DeMarco approved this before posting)

As many INSIDERS may know I have a pretty extensive progress thread on the inside for my new jigsaw puzzle company: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/progress-insider-bone-owl-puzzles.72873

About an hour ago we officially went live!!!

Check it out: Bone Owl Jigsaw Puzzles

View attachment 15916

It would mean the absolute world to me if you help spread the word about this project that has been almost a full year in the making.

This is easily the most ambitious project I've ever worked on and I've put a TON of time and money into making sure every aspect of this company has been considered from a quality-first standpoint. No shortcuts.

Here's a few of things that we think make this special:

- We hired artists directly to produce original, never before seen images.
- We focused on themes that are largely completely ignored in the jigsaw puzzle world.
- We found the top jigsaw puzzle factory in the USA to keep quality/consistency extremely high
- We are paying extra for thicker pieces which hold together better
- Likewise we're adding a linen texture finish which only the top puzzle companies in the world utilize. Adds a seriously nice look/feel to the pieces.
- Each piece is random cut, not ribbon cut, which is a fancy way of saying the pieces are a far more interesting shape.

In typical Gary V fashion, I've been "jab, jab, jabbing" on this forum trying to help as many people on here as possible over the years and I've never truly asked for much in return.
Now I need a "right-hook" kind of favor.

If you love puzzles - consider backing the project. The puzzles are awesome.
If you just want to help spread the word - that is also EXTREMELY helpful.

I've made a dead easy share page to take all the work out of sharing this: www.boneowl.com/pages/share

(And as always - ask any questions you have, I'm busy beyonD belief but I'll get to every question, I promise)

Awesome page! Rep++

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
It's been really inspiring to have talked with you while you've been building this launch. Proud to say I was one of the first 10 backers.

I have no doubt this KS will destroy the goal. Already 1/3 the way there in the first 6 hours!!

I can't wait to get my hands on Fronds and Furls, I've been eyeballing that painting since I first saw it.

Rep+++ for massive action and value in your progress thread.

Ps. If anyone reading this is considering getting INSIDERS, just having access to @JAJT progress thread is worth it.

Last edited:

Patrick R

Shwizzle Shwazzle
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Sep 11, 2016
Maine

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Question about KickStarter...

Have you advertised this elsewhere?

Reason is I ask is you are almost 50% of the way there in funding. Just curious if it mostly came from this forum or if you built up a groundswell elsewhere

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Question about KickStarter...

Have you advertised this elsewhere?

Reason is I ask is you are almost 50% of the way there in funding. Just curious if it mostly came from this forum or if you built up a groundswell elsewhere

We're basically doing everything we can. I haven't stopped prepping and typing and replying and posting since 6am this morning.

I have an ad setup although it's pretty generic (I'm not great with ads - I'm basically boosting our announcement on Facebook)

We were featured in two local papers (Metro and Ottawa business journal).

We had some really nice support from friends and family and YOU AMAZING PEOPLE which helped get over that awkward starting hump. People don't like being first to back anything - same reason why nobody buys Amazon products with no reviews. This initial support really helped lay the groundwork of social proof required to show everyone that yes, this is a real thing and it's likely to succeed.

We also posted this in a few jigsaw puzzle Facebook groups that we're a part of and the response has been pretty solid.

Our artists have mostly been posting about this although I don't think all of them have yet so another little bump might be coming today hopefully from that.

All in all I'd like to think that this is being received all-around from friends, family, you guys, and strangers because my wife and I worked our asses off to get it to this point. The puzzles are damn high quality. The art is hand made by professionals. The themes are interesting and not run of the mill. There's nothing "fake" about this - it's genuine from start to finish.

And an important personal point worth mentioning is that this "genuineness" really helped me get over an emotional slump I was in for almost 1-2 years. I was in a bad place. I didn't believe in the products I was selling previously It felt fake and forced and while there was nothing wrong with what I was selling I just didn't feel like "me" while doing it. I felt like someone else 'playing business'. I could barely lift my fingers to do anything because of it. The MOMENT I got the idea for this business I was focused on something positive that I can be proud of. It kept me waking up early and going to bed late working on this all year. I lost a lot of money and time re-doing things in this business because it didn't live up to the standards I was aiming for. I had never done this before - in the past "good enough" was often that. I'd like to think that everything about this project screams hard work and genuine quality and I'd like to think that comes through to the people who see it.

I hope this does well because I can see myself doing this for years and years to come.

Jurica22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2017
Croatia
We're basically doing everything we can. I haven't stopped prepping and typing and replying and posting since 6am this morning.

I have an ad setup although it's pretty generic (I'm not great with ads - I'm basically boosting our announcement on Facebook)

We were featured in two local papers (Metro and Ottawa business journal).

We had some really nice support from friends and family and YOU AMAZING PEOPLE which helped get over that awkward starting hump. People don't like being first to back anything - same reason why nobody buys Amazon products with no reviews. This initial support really helped lay the groundwork of social proof required to show everyone that yes, this is a real thing and it's likely to succeed.

We also posted this in a few jigsaw puzzle Facebook groups that we're a part of and the response has been pretty solid.

Our artists have mostly been posting about this although I don't think all of them have yet so another little bump might be coming today hopefully from that.

All in all I'd like to think that this is being received all-around from friends, family, you guys, and strangers because my wife and I worked our asses off to get it to this point. The puzzles are damn high quality. The art is hand made by professionals. The themes are interesting and not run of the mill. There's nothing "fake" about this - it's genuine from start to finish.

And an important personal point worth mentioning is that this "genuineness" really helped me get over an emotional slump I was in for almost 1-2 years. I was in a bad place. I didn't believe in the products I was selling previously It felt fake and forced and while there was nothing wrong with what I was selling I just didn't feel like "me" while doing it. I felt like someone else 'playing business'. I could barely lift my fingers to do anything because of it. The MOMENT I got the idea for this business I was focused on something positive that I can be proud of. It kept me waking up early and going to bed late working on this all year. I lost a lot of money and time re-doing things in this business because it didn't live up to the standards I was aiming for. I had never done this before - in the past "good enough" was often that. I'd like to think that everything about this project screams hard work and genuine quality and I'd like to think that comes through to the people who see it.

I hope this does well because I can see myself doing this for years and years to come.

So awesome, I wish you the best of luck in this business endeavour.

Honestly, I've never found jigsaw puzzles appealing (millennial generation), but those designs are just amazing!

I'd buy them and put them together just for the artwork.

So congratulations for creating an awesome product!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Apparently my next business is going to be in boosting services for crowdfunding. This looks like an info marketer's wet dream.

What I mean is that I've already received multiple private messages from kickstarter users saying they can help me boost my project up. They throw some nice looking stats, some big numbers, big names, and point to their site. Really pro looking sites here - very exciting and look trusting, testimonials, more big numbers, featured in logos, clean layouts, the works.

Every single one of these has a "low" plan starting at like $400. They go up to $1-2-3-4000 for what (as best I can figure) is just a blast to their list in various outlets/platforms. Maybe some rudimentary copy writing and fluffing up but frankly if you are already in a position to approach these folks you have the assets needed to make their job dead easy.

Kickstarter is giving these folks a HIGHLY eager, motivated and desperate base of unlimited rotating potential customers and charging high amounts because if you believe their story the $2000 they want seems like a trifle compared to the 500k you might bring in if it works.

Some quick google searches says that most of these do very little for most campaigns but the only way these answers are being found is because there is a TON of folks who tried them out. I bet their conversion rate is through the roof here. Shit - I know all the tricks they are using to sell me and I clicked on EVERY ONE out of genuine interest. Hell if they promised me 100k eyeballs and the price point wasn't stupid I'd probably even be tempted to try them myself.

This is a hell of a racket going on here.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Apparently my next business is going to be in boosting services for crowdfunding. This looks like an info marketer's wet dream.

What I mean is that I've already received multiple private messages from kickstarter users saying they can help me boost my project up. They throw some nice looking stats, some big numbers, big names, and point to their site. Really pro looking sites here - very exciting and look trusting, testimonials, more big numbers, featured in logos, clean layouts, the works.

Every single one of these has a "low" plan starting at like $400. They go up to $1-2-3-4000 for what (as best I can figure) is just a blast to their list in various outlets/platforms. Maybe some rudimentary copy writing and fluffing up but frankly if you are already in a position to approach these folks you have the assets needed to make their job dead easy.

Kickstarter is giving these folks a HIGHLY eager, motivated and desperate base of unlimited rotating potential customers and charging high amounts because if you believe their story the $2000 they want seems like a trifle compared to the 500k you might bring in if it works.

Some quick google searches says that most of these do very little for most campaigns but the only way these answers are being found is because there is a TON of folks who tried them out. I bet their conversion rate is through the roof here. Shit - I know all the tricks they are using to sell me and I clicked on EVERY ONE out of genuine interest. Hell if they promised me 100k eyeballs and the price point wasn't stupid I'd probably even be tempted to try them myself.

This is a hell of a racket going on here.

There are whole agencies who specialize in setting up and marketing KS campaigns. Crowdfunding is the gold rush, they're selling the shovels.

But your guys just sound like the horde of bro marketers who fell for someone else's funnel and are now trying to profit off what they learned.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
@JAJT the Kickstarter looks great, very professional. I truly look forward to see where this takes you. Are you doing this just for publicly and validation? $10k doesn't seem like a big amount to raise. Or are there stretch goals?

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario

Shared. OMG I love the video. You have a truly incredible and value added product concept and your passion for the idea of community and being together really comes through. The music was spot on. Excellent voice over. Women with hot tattoos! [emoji1] [emoji41]

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Women with hot tattoos!

1. That's my wife (redhead) and her cousin (leg tat).
2. .... yeah :)

Honestly I'm the only one in that video without tats. Wife (redhead on the laptop) has 7 and the other two (cousin and spouse) have more than I can count + piercings. And I'm the boring business guy in a collared shirt :)

I REALLY wish my wife had a talking part in the video because we shot a LOT of stuff that didn't get used. We were trying to go for a husband/wife founder angle and it fell apart in post. Such is life. I think it turned out nicely but I do regret not getting her in more of it

Are you doing this just for publicly and validation? $10k doesn't seem like a big amount to raise. Or are there stretch goals?

No stretch goals - I honestly couldn't think of anything worth "stretching" for that wouldn't make shipping a huge expensive pain for everyone. The product doesn't really lend itself to digital downloads or add-ons or any of that like you see with board games and such.

Truthfully the 10k isn't even covering production for the first run. MOQs are pretty massive at the place I'm going with and pulling out all the stops on the quality only multiplied that. 10k was what I needed to help supplement what I could afford myself to get these made, basically.

I was really, really hoping this KS would resonate more within my artist's followings and it looks like that didn't really happen on day 1. The social reach should have been roughly 500k potential eyeballs across multiple social platforms and we hit about 60 pledges on day 1. That includes friends, family and you awesome folks. I genuinely believed that more fans of the artists would "show up" for this.

I'm going to hustle my a$$ until the end to build up more awareness, reach more followers, get more folks to share the project and try to make this a success. I'm 100% positive these will do well once they are for sale. The art is solid and the quality is second to none (I honestly like ours better than Ravensburger, who is the world leader). If anything I think I have an awareness issue right now and I knew that going in - I have almost no following of my own and was relying too heavily on third party influencers. Sadly I just didn't have the time nor experience to build up an email list of tens of thousands of folks leading up to this point. Maybe if I waited 6, 12 more months I could have done that but honestly I wanted to get these made and in the market ASAP.

I didn't mean for this to sound negative - hitting 50% of my goal on day 1 with 34 more to go is pretty awesome. I'm just my own worst critic :)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I was really, really hoping this KS would resonate more within my artist's followings and it looks like that didn't really happen on day 1. The social reach should have been roughly 500k potential eyeballs across multiple social platforms and we hit about 60 pledges on day 1. That includes friends, family and you awesome folks. I genuinely believed that more fans of the artists would "show up" for this.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but the probability of that happening is fairly low. You can't rely on an artist's fans to generate any real sales. You have to rely on normal buyers, and use art as one of the reasons they should buy.

Art is a commodity. Collectors are only loyal to those that have the prospect of providing a financial return. Then friends and family of the artist are only loyal to the artists themselves. They'll go to a few gallery openings, and buy a piece here, and there, and they will do that as a form of patronage... but they won't buy just anything because an artist is on it - especially when the artist is not pushing them to buy it.

It's basically the equivalent of you getting your jigsaw puzzles into a new store. The store's holding a grand opening, and the store expects that you'll bring your friends, family, and fans in to buy a bunch of their stuff. Even though they'll give you let's say a 5% commission, you have very little incentive to act.

Same for the artists. Look at it from their perspective. My guess is that at most they're getting 10% of sales? So $2.40 per piece sold? But more likely closer to 5%? $1.20 per piece? Or are they getting 0% of sales - in which case they have no incentive to act because they've already been paid?

None of them will be reaching out to family and friends and pressuring them to buy a jigsaw puzzle. Them doing that would be the equivalent of begging for not even a cup of coffee.

Instead, they'll probably share on social media, but the value of an artists' social media list is extremely low. People follow artists because they want their social media to be filled with cool images. Some of them will occasionally buy, but the expected conversion rate per print sale, etc. should be expected as a fraction of a percent or lower.

You're better off relying on other avenues for generating sales. Press should be your #1. Taking facebook ID numbers of people that backed similar projects and advertising to them through FB should be #2. Etc.

Edit:
  • Can you change the currency from Canadian to USD? That might increase conversion rates.
  • Have you thought about printing your own puzzles? Maybe you can put an artist's entire collection on your site and print on demand?

Last edited:

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
Taking facebook ID numbers of people that backed similar projects and advertising to them through FB should be #2

What's the method behind doing this? Manually scraping from KS pages and then inputting into FB?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
What's the method behind doing this? Manually scraping from KS pages and then inputting into FB?

How to Successfully Advertise Your Crowdfunding Campaign on Facebook

I haven't used Krowdster, and have no recommendation on them, but I saw them recommended in one of the entrepreneurship chats I'm in and gave them a look. Using a tool like that is probably the easy way. $250 for a month. Create you campaigns. Cancel subscription.

Hard way (First part taken from Quora):

1. Go to a live or completed campaign and click on the “Community” tab:

tdohHlR.png

2. Here you will find the count of backers by top cities and countries, as well as the count of new vs. returning backers

hZ56sxe.png

3. Finally you can also view some of the backers info: profile image, name, and count of projects backed

cdQwZd8.png

Second part (Created by me):

hzvnIl6.png

Search their name like that.

Once you have their profile page, sometimes it says their website, email, etc. But most of the time it will just say their name, city, and country... so:

Third part:

Take their name, city, and country, and search them on FB. If there's more than one person then match their picture to the KS picture. Chances are it's the same.

I've never done KS, but that's how I'd do it. Hire a VA overseas. Pay them $3 an hour to create spreadsheets of all the backers. Then advertise to those backers.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Oh for sure - ads and press right now are going to be my main focus. I'll look into those methods - thanks :)

By "resonating with the artist's following" my thinking was that if they love the images they see, and already "line up" to buy prints/posters/etc of the art they love from the artists they follow, then maybe they'd think a jigsaw puzzle is a novel and interesting way to interact with the art - it's really not a typical offering and I thought the "wow" factor would be a little higher.

Oh well, time to find more people who think this is interesting and worth investing in :)

Day 2 begins!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
  • Can you change the currency from Canadian to USD? That might increase conversion rates.

Nope - and it's a pretty sore spot for international project creators as well. The USA is the biggest backing market for most projects and not being able to setup a campaign native to USD seems silly IMHO. That's why you see a lot of projects (like mine) with the USD rate in the reward titles.

Kickstarter DOES display the USD amount to USA customers but it's a lot more subtle than it should be IMHO.

• Have you thought about printing your own puzzles? Maybe you can put an artist's entire collection on your site and print on demand?

Yeah, and the quality would be lower than I'd like and the cost would be through the roof. I'm sure it could be done but I don't think it's very practical.

Even the big POD guys who offer decent quality charge like $80 for a puzzle. Most of the don't even offer 1,000 pieces (most POD is like 100-300 pieces for extremely low quality novelty kind of products like wedding favors and such). Likely because the labor/materials/effort for one-offs like that is extremely high. And those guys are already buying all their materials in bulk.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
The product doesn't really lend itself to digital downloads or add-ons or any of that like you see with board games and such.
Nice work. I would think you could upsell with an assortment of frames, different sized puzzles and frames. Backer boards. Even offer customized puzzles (family portraits, pets, etc...). Keep grinding and best wishes.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
Gave the campaign a shout out on my FB business page. Only 110 impressions (about 3k fans), but it did get shared once.

Looks like you've got the steam engine turning on your own though. Really cool to see you doing well with this.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Gave the campaign a shout out on my FB business page. Only 110 impressions (about 3k fans), but it did get shared once.

Every bit helps, thanks so much!!!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Nice work. I would think you could upsell with an assortment of frames, different sized puzzles and frames. Backer boards. Even offer customized puzzles (family portraits, pets, etc...). Keep grinding and best wishes.
what would it cost to have a 'one of a kind' commissioned work?

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Awesome, You have my support. Will share with my network as well!

PS. Pledged!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.