The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

22yrs, never been so depressed, want to change things.

climbtothelight

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Apr 19, 2017
USA
You should go see a doctor. Depression can be a pain in the a$$ to get rid of, and you never know if it might be something medication can solve.
I tried medication, I hated the way it made me feel. It felt like I was cheating, I felt like I was dependent on something, I generally felt better in terms of mood but I felt worse about myself

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
You guys helped all of them.
That's my purpose and how I dance on this earth! I surf on the surface and dive deep in the ocean and bring up everyone to the surface. I'm the life guard and the light house flashing on the pier!

If you have no life guard and light house, people drown, the undertow pulls you under, the waves get 25 ft high. The boats get lost in the dark! I suppose that's what I get for being brought up on the shores of Lake Michigan! We are Coast Guard City U.S.A. I can't help myself.

Entrepreneurs and the whole of humanity are swimming, diving, driving ships, yachts, race boats, row boats, floating on rafts and inner tubes. I really don't care who you are! I'm the light in your darkness as Generation X! You all need to navigate in the waters no matter your destination! What social class, What culture, what age, what generation, feminine or masculine.

I was blessed to be born in Grand Haven, Michigan surrounded by awesome Entrepreneurs, wealth, middle class, and poor! We know how to do it right! We help everyone in our community! We're a nice community! I've watched our town grow the last 46 years. Perfect Example of hard work, a community, everyone coming together and a process over time!
Congratulations to my home town of Grand Haven in 2017! I salute all the awesome Entrepreneurs over the years from every generation who made it happen! Glad to be raised in an awesome environment.

Never forget where you come from!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geXs1gTMj_w

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi3XsGDEQYU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZJOCKDLWY

They're are many awesome Entrepreneurs in Michigan in many towns.

If there is any Entrepreneurs from Michigan here in the Forum! I thank you for all contributing to my state and making it Pure Michigan what it is today!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My brother's death?

While difficult, we all lose people.

Try to think about how your brother would want you to live - would he want you to live a life of holding back on his account?

Emotionally abusive parents (who I still live with because of an unhealthily codependent relationship)?

I grew up in a caustic home. I was highly sheltered and wasn't allowed to do much of anything. I was yelled at constantly for things that didn't even make sense. Anger and high tempers were the baseline for me.

If you are anything like I was, it means you are living in a state of arrested development. You feel you have no prospects, no plans, no reason to live because you are being held down in chains by your situation. Of course you feel like shit if every day you come home to abuse.

Here's what you need to do: Move out.

I mean it. I genuinely mean it.

Don't spend 1 damn second thinking about how it will make your parents feel or what they'll do. Don't worry about being disowned or getting yelled at or pissing them off or disappointing them or any of that.

You are 22 years old. You can make your own choices. If they can't live with it then that's THEIR problem to deal with. Not yours.

Does your dead end job make enough to pay the bills? If not you better start hustling a$$ to find one that does. Forget copy-writing and entrepreneurship for now. I don't normally say that but you need some damn wins in your life and moving out and getting stable before being risky is a huge damn win.

If your resume sucks (it almost certainly does), check out this thread: Notable! - Is it worth it to pay for someone to redo my resume?

You need to start doing NEW THINGS with your life. You are too old to be caught up living the life of a child. I bet a huge amount of depression and stress comes from your current situation. Change your situation.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
That's my purpose and how I dance on this earth! I surf on the surface and dive deep in the ocean and bring up everyone to the surface. I'm the life guard and the light house flashing on the pier!

If you have no life guard and light house, people drown, the undertow pulls you under, the waves get 25 ft high. The boats get lost in the dark! I suppose that's what I get for being brought up on the shores of Lake Michigan! We are Coast Guard City U.S.A. I can't help myself.

Entrepreneurs and the whole of humanity are swimming, diving, driving ships, yachts, race boats, row boats, floating on rafts and inner tubes. I really don't care who you are! I'm the light in your darkness as Generation X! You all need to navigate in the waters no matter your destination! What social class, What culture, what age, what generation, feminine or masculine.

I was blessed to be born in Grand Haven, Michigan surrounded by awesome Entrepreneurs, wealth, middle class, and poor! We know how to do it right! We help everyone in our community! We're a nice community! I've watched our town grow the last 46 years. Perfect Example of hard work, a community, everyone coming together and a process over time!
Congratulations to my home town of Grand Haven in 2017! I salute all the awesome Entrepreneurs over the years from every generation who made it happen! Glad to be raised in an awesome environment.

Never forget where you come from!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geXs1gTMj_w

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi3XsGDEQYU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZJOCKDLWY

They're are many awesome Entrepreneurs in Michigan in many towns.

If there is any Entrepreneurs from Michigan here in the Forum! I thank you for all contributing to my state and making it Pure Michigan what it is today!
It's nice in the summer and the beach is great but the winters! Ooooooohhh the winters!!!!

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
I tried medication, I hated the way it made me feel. It felt like I was cheating, I felt like I was dependent on something, I generally felt better in terms of mood but I felt worse about myself
Make a conscious effort every day to eat good quality food. Eating a very clean natural diet can clear up your thinking, give you energy and a sense of well being. Eat well and exercise. These two simple things can change your whole life. Any frustration, depression etc. can be exercised out of you and one day you will realize you're "different".
From that point you can reassess and re-focus on where you want to go. Then take the steering wheel of your life and choose to take action that is going to propel you to where you want to be. Trust me dude, the older you get the more you'll see that 22 years old is the BEGINNING it isn't the END. Start now!

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
I hesitated to comment on this because it's such a personal matter, and I'm not sure I'm qualified to help beyond sharing meaningless platitudes.

So what I will do is share my experience, and see if I can apply it to your situation.

I had a miserable childhood. Truly miserable. Stuff I don't even want to go into here. Suffice to say, pretty much everything bad you could imagine happened to me. From poverty to bullying to abuse to disability to severe social phobia to bereavement - you name it, I had it. My two saving graces were being born with a sharp mind and having a loving mother.

Everything I did to dig myself out of that hole was about putting myself way, way outside of my comfort zone, failing lots of times and eventually achieving competence, then confidence. You're scared, terrified sometimes, to do it - but you have to just do it anyway. Noone who knows me today would even begin to recognise 15 year old me. When I (occasionally) look back at that time, I don't see me - I see somebody else whose life I'm remembering. It's strange.

As an adult, I've mostly been happy. Sometimes exceptionally so, and sometimes in a funk. When I looked back at my life a while ago, to try to figure out why lasting happiness could be so elusive, I realised I was at my happiest when:

I was in control of my life.
I was working hard on pursuits that were personally important to me.
I felt good about myself.
I was making progress towards my vision for my life.
I was surrounded by people I cared about.
I was living up to my own standards.

I don't always live up to my own standards. I always pay for it in reduced happiness - maybe not immediately, but certainly down the line.

So what does this mean for you, right now?

Based on what you've said, I'm going to assume:

You don't feel in control of your life.
You don't know what's personally important to you, so you have nothing to work towards.
You don't feel good about yourself.
You don't have a vision for your life yet.
You're surrounded by people who are bad for you.
You're not living up to your own standards - but you don't know how to define those, either.

If I were in your shoes, I concur with @JAJT - your first step is to get out of a toxic situation. Get away from it all. Give yourself the opportunity to reinvent yourself.

Take control of your life.

Free yourself of bad memories, bad influences, an identity you maybe didn't choose for yourself, and other people's expectations. Go out into the wild. It might be terrifying. Do it anyway. It's a liberating experience to be fully in control of your own environment, your own social circle, your own circumstances. To have full responsibility for your own life.

Then, and only then, will you be able to figure out what you truly want from life. You have to have a vision before you can know the path. But you can't formulate your vision while you're stuck in this place.

It might take years for you to become happy. It did for me. But I don't regret a day of it, nor do I regret any of the bad things that happened to me. They made me who I am today.

You won't regret it either. You only have one life. The sooner you start the sooner it'll be worth living.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It's nice in the summer and the beach is great but the winters! Ooooooohhh the winters!!!!
Yes, I hear you! I've been in the Netherlands for four years. Weird not having any weather like back home. Never thought I'd say it, but miss the water, and the snow. :)

rsj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami
Create a program every day to unlearn thoughts, beliefs, feelings, and emotions, and recondition self every day. Shed all the negative and replace it with new positive. They don't know how to problem solve, and locked in to their inner darkness of the psyche.

1. Meditate for an hour a day whether you feel like it or not for 365 days.
2. EFT for a half hour a day for 365 days.
3. Read Fastlane for a few hours a day.
4. Move your body with Recreational Sports/Martial Arts for an hour or two hours a day.
5. Rest and sleep 5-8 hours a day.
6. Eat healthy meals three times a day, with snacks.
7. Listen to some motivational music that gets you moving.
8. Be creative, Artistic, Music, Painting, Writing, and Innovating (Millennials do this).
9. Stop focusing on Dark Emo, Goth, Dark Anime, Fantasy, Fiction, Music, Literature, Games like Dungeons and Dragons Gaming all the time.
10. Find some more positive things to focus on.
11. Stop escaping through drugs, alcohol, Sex.
12. Find some positive people to hang around who have the same interests as a Creative Entrepreneur.
13. Find a positive Nurturing Mentor, Role Model, Leads by Example
14. Breathing is number one key.
15. Focus on the positives in life instead of the negatives.
16. Take your ears, eyes, and thoughts off everyone else and what they're doing.
17. Focus on taking care of self. Mental, Emotional, Spiritual, Physical, Sexual Health.
18. Choose Life! Speak Life to yourself.
19. What is life? What does that mean? What kind of choices do you need to make to feel alive? What kind of friends? What kind of co-workers? Who is on your team? Will they go the distance? Will they quite during half-time?
20. Don't Quit on yourself. Don't Give up on you. Don't Give up on life. Don't Give up on the dream.
21. What is your purpose? What is your vision? What is your Why?
22. Life is a journey of self-mastery and self-discovery.
23. How do you problem solve?
24. Do some Algebra, Geometry, Cross word puzzles, Puzzles, play some chess.
25. Get your mind muscles moving.
26. If your thoughts are wandering, it means you have to much idle time on your hands.
27. If your bored, it means your not taking action and doing something with your mind.
28. Over thinking, deep thinking, is a sign you're not doing something constructive or creative.
29. Fixed focused. Your laser focused. Obsessing on one thing. Divert your attention every day to focus on something positive. No matter how many times it takes break your focus, your thoughts, and intention and do something different.
30. It takes six years to empty out all the garbage, gunk, and negativity. Get started. And if you can do it faster than I did. Well you may break a Golden Record. Start now!
31. Love is the highest place to be.
32. Gratitude is the same place.
34. Forgiveness is the same place.
35. Patience and understanding with yourself.
36. Fail as fast as you can. You will get there faster.
37. Be unstoppable!
38. It's normal to crash and burn sometimes. Get back up! Keep moving.
39. Time will give you, the best answers.

I know there are plenty of Millennials who are creative with their Music, Art, and Literature. They're creating games, apps, and the Indie population. Go find those people.
this should be featured, this is awesome

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hi all.
By the way, before you ask, I haven't bought the TMF book yet (looked through it at the bookstore).

Tough love coming in 3...2...

Your problem is you are lazy, you are the product of the "get a medal for showing up" society, you browse through a book that you identify as potentially useful. You realise there is a forum attached to it, so instead of just reading it, you come on here, whine and expect everyone to give you a step-by-step answer, and then do it all for you.

Read the book, and start executing.

I would also suggest Mindset by Dr. Carol Dweck.

These two books are more than enough to get you started; they won't magically do it for you, however they should give you the inspiration to get off your lazy a$$ and start doing it for yourself.

Tough love session over.

Good luck dude.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Read the book. But don't get too caught up in reading a bunch of books though or you'll stay stuck getting nothing done.

Jocko Willink is a Retired Navy Seal Commander and he has a thing or two to say about depression. He talks about "getting after it" even when you feel like shit. Depressed? Get after it anyways. Feeling tired? Get after it. His podcast "Jocko Podcast" is well worth listening to. He also talks about people who have been in the worst situations possible. It gives you perspective and makes you grateful that you aren't being tortured or some other crazy war stuffs.

Also, I recommend you start jiu-jitsu. You will get defeated over and over and over again. This will break down your ego. You will learn self defense and get comfortable with confrontation. You will gain confidence and be humbled. You will form a bond with a group of people which is something we all need. Your depression could go away just from doing jiu-jitsu.

Cut out caffeine, alchohol, drugs, etc. These things could be MAKING you depressed. I wont go into the science but I used to be depressed and had no drive or motivation. I cleared out caffeine, drugs, and alcohol and now I feel like a million bucks. Also eat plenty of fruit and veggies.

As for copywriting. I highly suggest you check out Lex's 15 days to freedom thread. If you haven't already. Also I've found it helpful to join a copywriting group. Find people you know are skilled and can give you feedback on your portfolio, proposals, work, etc. If you are not confident in your skills. Just know that all you need to have read is Ca$shvertising and that's enough to get you started on making some money on upwork.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Tough love coming in 3...2...

Your problem is you are lazy, you are the product of the "get a medal for showing up" society, you browse through a book that you identify as potentially useful. You realise there is a forum attached to it, so instead of just reading it, you come on here, whine and expect everyone to give you a step-by-step answer, and then do it all for you.

Read the book, and start executing.

I would also suggest Mindset by Dr. Carol Dweck.

These two books are more than enough to get you started; they won't magically do it for you, however they should give you the inspiration to get off your lazy a$$ and start doing it for yourself.

Tough love session over.

Good luck dude.
Well you gave it to him pretty easy if you asked me. I got my a$$ kicked on this forum (mentally) and, after getting extremely butthurt, I was greatful for it.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
First - you need to take a deep breath. Even people who are doing very well and making tons of money have all sorts of issues that they have to deal with. You probably realize this, but my point is that your mentality is the issue. If you desire to escape your current predicament you are always going to feel that way no matter what. You will be moving from one "problem" to another and always trying to figure out how to make them go away.

A problem is really just a way that the universe brings us to life. Problems are stepping stones to higher echelons of existence. These higher levels of existence are literally paved with "problems." There is no way to even navigate the world without them. Problem solving is the fundamental basis of order and thus evolution. It is a problem that weeds out an unfit organism from the gene pool and thus slowly brings the species to higher levels of harmony within nature.

This same concept can be applied within the microcosm of your own life. By meeting your obstacles with vigor you can weed out the weakness inside of you. It is in the nature of man to revel in the experience of progress. Only once you adjust your perspective and see these problems for what they are - opportunity - will you begin a journey that is imbued with a feeling of purpose.

At the same time take a deep breath because there is no rush. As Alan Watt's would put it (and I am paraphrasing here) - would you judge a blade of grass for growing shorter than a tree? No, because these things grow according to their nature. So do you. In life your problems are going to be your sun, water, and soil. Don't try to avoid them, but at the same time you don't have to force it. Life and everything will continue with or without your conscious devotion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...