The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2 Year FLF Anniversary!!!

Anything related to matters of the mind

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I read TMF during my second to last semester at college. I was working full-time at a clothing store and although I managed to get through college without any student loan debt, I was always dissatisfied with my paycheck. After reading TMF , I came up with a bunch of ideas to start a business, trolled the forum for about a year, and when I graduated college with a BA in Economics, all I had was a degree, a job at a clothing store, and a bunch of ideas. Then the 'rona came and it was the perfect opportunity to jump on Udemy and take a digital marketing course. Fortunately, my job was still paying me, and I got unemployment from the state of California. I spent the entire quarantine studying Andy Black's courses and feeling my way around Google Ads, Wordpress, Elementor, and Excel before I got the courage to join a BNI meeting and make cold calls to promote "Sonny's Google Ads management service".

I got a few clients and started generating between $1200-$1800 a month. The first time I got checks sent to my mailbox was a feeling I will never forget. I felt so successful that I decided to leave my clothing store job. The drive to succeed withered away and I stopped hustling to get more clients (mistake #1). And being far from an expert at Google Ads, my clients drifted away one by one. After about 6-7 months, I decided to build a lead gen/user review website. I learned JetEngine, wrote content, borrowed money from my Godfather, worked alongside a web developer and voila - that website launched within about 3 months. It was a new concept for a niche that I thought would really benefit from it, but I got discouraged when it didn't perform as well as I thought it would (mistake #2). I reached out to different business founders with similar concepts. They all related to me and helped me not beat myself up (which was mistake #3). One of them recommended "The Lean Startup" and the "E-myth" - both very helpful.

I have my next experiment planned out for the website. There isn't a proven concept for this niche yet, so I'm applying the Lean startup's principle of using the scientific method for startups, but I need money to pay my bills so I've been picking up work here and there. I decided to sell life insurance from my home because I should be able to make some money to pay my bills and reinvest in the website, while also controlling my schedule. I don't know if this website is going to work or not, but if it doesn't, at least I'll have the underpinnings of something functional that can be applied to a niche that will work.

I wish my digital marketing skills were as good as other people's. I wish I was so confident in my skills that when I spoke to a prospect I could guarantee that within x amount of time, my services would pay for themselves AND add to their profits. My hat is off to those of you who have that skill. I'm pretty confident in my ability to sell stuff I believe in, I just don't believe in my own Google Ads skills or the website service (until my experiments accept or reject my hypothesis). Fortunately, my sales skills got me a few job opportunities.

Even with the mistakes I made, I'm glad I rolled the dice. I've learned a ton and I'll continue to do so. I'm 29 now with no student debt, no kids, no mortgage, and an exceptionally supportive girlfriend... so I'm blessed.

And TFLF, @MJ DeMarco , TMF, Unscripted , @Andy Black and everybody else here have been the biggest resource throughout this whole journey by far. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Hopefully by my third anniversary I'll be a millionaire :praise:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wish I was so confident in my skills that when I spoke to a prospect I could guarantee that within x amount of time, my services would pay for themselves AND add to their profits.
I don't guarantee results, just that I follow a process. You get better over time by gaining experience doing the work.

And being far from an expert at Google Ads, my clients drifted away one by one.
I'm curious why they drifted away. Were you not getting (enough) results and/or had you lost interest?

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I don't guarantee results, just that I follow a process. You get better over time by gaining experience doing the work.

I'm curious why they drifted away. Were you not getting (enough) results and/or had you lost interest?
I wasn't getting enough results. They would get clicks, and some leads, but overall they felt like the results were not worth the $300 they paid me to run the ads for them on top of the $300 they paid Google.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I read TMF during my second to last semester at college. I was working full-time at a clothing store and although I managed to get through college without any student loan debt, I was always dissatisfied with my paycheck. After reading TMF , I came up with a bunch of ideas to start a business, trolled the forum for about a year, and when I graduated college with a BA in Economics, all I had was a degree, a job at a clothing store, and a bunch of ideas. Then the 'rona came and it was the perfect opportunity to jump on Udemy and take a digital marketing course. Fortunately, my job was still paying me, and I got unemployment from the state of California. I spent the entire quarantine studying Andy Black's courses and feeling my way around Google Ads, Wordpress, Elementor, and Excel before I got the courage to join a BNI meeting and make cold calls to promote "Sonny's Google Ads management service".

I got a few clients and started generating between $1200-$1800 a month. The first time I got checks sent to my mailbox was a feeling I will never forget. I felt so successful that I decided to leave my clothing store job. The drive to succeed withered away and I stopped hustling to get more clients (mistake #1). And being far from an expert at Google Ads, my clients drifted away one by one. After about 6-7 months, I decided to build a lead gen/user review website. I learned JetEngine, wrote content, borrowed money from my Godfather, worked alongside a web developer and voila - that website launched within about 3 months. It was a new concept for a niche that I thought would really benefit from it, but I got discouraged when it didn't perform as well as I thought it would (mistake #2). I reached out to different business founders with similar concepts. They all related to me and helped me not beat myself up (which was mistake #3). One of them recommended "The Lean Startup" and the "E-myth" - both very helpful.

I have my next experiment planned out for the website. There isn't a proven concept for this niche yet, so I'm applying the Lean startup's principle of using the scientific method for startups, but I need money to pay my bills so I've been picking up work here and there. I decided to sell life insurance from my home because I should be able to make some money to pay my bills and reinvest in the website, while also controlling my schedule. I don't know if this website is going to work or not, but if it doesn't, at least I'll have the underpinnings of something functional that can be applied to a niche that will work.

I wish my digital marketing skills were as good as other people's. I wish I was so confident in my skills that when I spoke to a prospect I could guarantee that within x amount of time, my services would pay for themselves AND add to their profits. My hat is off to those of you who have that skill. I'm pretty confident in my ability to sell stuff I believe in, I just don't believe in my own Google Ads skills or the website service (until my experiments accept or reject my hypothesis). Fortunately, my sales skills got me a few job opportunities.

Even with the mistakes I made, I'm glad I rolled the dice. I've learned a ton and I'll continue to do so. I'm 29 now with no student debt, no kids, no mortgage, and an exceptionally supportive girlfriend... so I'm blessed.

And TFLF, @MJ DeMarco , TMF, Unscripted , @Andy Black and everybody else here have been the biggest resource throughout this whole journey by far. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Hopefully by my third anniversary I'll be a millionaire :praise:

I'm reading about a great process with a lot of good motion. Keep it up and things will eventually fall in place. Thank you for sharing.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm reading about a great process with a lot of good motion. Keep it up and things will eventually fall in place. Thank you for sharing.
Oh yes, I meant to say this too. My bad.

@sonny_1080 ... keep chipping away. Maybe don't be so hard on yourself and reframe "Mistake #1, #2, #3" as "Learning #1, #2, #3"?

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Oh yes, I meant to say this too. My bad.

@sonny_1080 ... keep chipping away. Maybe don't be so hard on yourself and reframe "Mistake #1, #2, #3" as "Learning #1, #2, #3"?
Thank you Andy. Being too hard on myself is definitely an issue I have.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
My top recommendation is to go pay Jordan Belfort for a few sales lessons, and a lot of your problems will disappear... Sounds like your biggest issue is closing the deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.