The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

$2.18 Million in Income & $632,842 in Profit in 2019 My 1st Year in Business, with Lyme Disease AMA

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
2019 was an intense year - I had to buy out a shady business partner for $50,000, had to prevent the biz from destructing from and fire a narcissistic VP of sales, and I've had very harsh up and downs with Lyme disease.

I feel like I should have made a million in profit, but I know I'll hit that in 2020.

I hit these numbers in the screenshot above by starting my own solar sales company.

Primary source of lead generation is door-to-door.

The main things that helped me were my expertise in solar sales (I was the number 1 in the country at one point when I was selling for SolarCity back when they were big), rereading John Maxwell's books over and over for leadership, and pure, raw, persistence and never giving up.

The level of chess I had to play with some people, business partners, installer relationships, then certain pathological liars / salespeople that were highly manipulative, juggling all aspects of the business, hiring, running meetings, etc. was intense, but I believe this is what I was made for.

2020 will be a lot more stable, since now that I've enacted a healthy culture of integrity and fun yet highly productive environment, some of the reps are now developing into leaders themselves so the organization will organically grow.

The only main thing that is weighing me down now is my best manager and now dear friend just got cancer for the 3rd time and is most likely terminal.

I wanted to post this up here since I can't really talk about the fine details or how much I have actually made anywhere else. $632,842 in profit for 2019 was an OK amount and I am going to be hitting at least $1 million in profit next year, and even more if my manager doesn't die.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback on my journey.

P.S. I'm already at $144,000 in profit for this year, 2020.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What is it that makes you good at sales? Is there any one thing? Has it been a learning process? How would someone learn to sell at your level?

Private Witt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 20, 2018
Seattle
I like how you put as a chess game. I deal with a ton of people on deals and the more I add the more complicated the game gets, feel like that movie Inception with a ton of shitbricks at every corner.

OP
OP
halfstepdown88

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
What is it that makes you good at sales? Is there any one thing? Has it been a learning process? How would someone learn to sell at your level?
Learning process. Complete obsession. That's all I do, all day, every single day.

1st year with Lyme disease?!?! :clap:: :clap::

View attachment 30461
I can't imagine what I would be capable of right now without Lyme.

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
Learning process. Complete obsession. That's all I do, all day, every single day.

I can't imagine what I would be capable of right now without Lyme.
Congrats on the success.

Are you still taking doxycycline? I know that's the standard treatment for lyme disease. What is so bad about lyme is apparently the effects of it can stick around long after the bacteria is gone. It's something that should fade away with time to likely a full recovery over the course of 1-4 years.

I know a little about lyme because I came down with ME/CFS after a bad viral infection and learned all about antivirals and causes :(

Now you truly know how important your health is.

OP
OP
halfstepdown88

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Congrats on the success.

Are you still taking doxycycline? I know that's the standard treatment for lyme disease. What is so bad about lyme is apparently the effects of it can stick around long after the bacteria is gone. It's something that should fade away with time to likely a full recovery over the course of 1-4 years.

I know a little about lyme because I came down with ME/CFS after a bad viral infection and learned all about antivirals and causes :(

Now you truly know how important your health is.
Well, I don't just have Lyme. I have Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (30% mortality rate if untreated), EBV, Babesia, Mycoplasma, and a bunch of other viruses.

Doxy only works if you catch it right away, within the first 4 weeks. If not, you are screwed.

I spent $75,000 last year on medical expenses.

Andy Black

Figuring it out as I go along!
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
View attachment 30459
2019 was an intense year - I had to buy out a shady business partner for $50,000, had to prevent the biz from destructing from and fire a narcissistic VP of sales, and I've had very harsh up and downs with Lyme disease.

I feel like I should have made a million in profit, but I know I'll hit that in 2020.

I hit these numbers in the screenshot above by starting my own solar sales company.

The main things that helped me were my expertise in solar sales (I was the number 1 in the country at one point when I was selling for SolarCity back when they were big), rereading John Maxwell's books over and over for leadership, and pure, raw, persistence and never giving up.

The level of chess I had to play with some people, business partners, installer relationships, then certain pathological liars / salespeople that were highly manipulative, juggling all aspects of the business, hiring, running meetings, etc. was intense, but I believe this is what I was made for.

2020 will be a lot more stable, since now that I've enacted a healthy culture of integrity and fun yet highly productive environment, some of the reps are now developing into leaders themselves so the organization will organically grow.

The only main thing that is weighing me down now is my best manager and now dear friend just got cancer for the 3rd time and is most likely terminal.

I wanted to post this up here since I can't really talk about the fine details or how much I have actually made anywhere else. $632,842 in profit for 2019 was an OK amount and I am going to be hitting at least $1 million in profit next year, and even more if my manager doesn't die.

So sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like 2020 will be tough in places too. Don’t forget to look after yourself.

kissp4

PARKED
Jun 21, 2017
Sharjah
View attachment 30459

Do you have your own solar company?

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Did one tick bite cause all those diseases? That sounds like it is beyond the ordinary randomly-bitten-by-diseased-insect story... at least I hope it's not usually that bad. You've got me looking around for ticks.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Very sorry to hear about the infections. That stuff is no joke. I'm guessing you got the hallmark red spots all over? I hope you can fully recover from it. Makes its all the more impressive about your business success when you were not even at 100%.

Do you run into any problems or obstacles with the current fossil fuel administration? Are there any sort of incentives or deductions on your side vs the consumer? I've always been fascinated on making the change to solar. Best wishes to you, your ailing co-workers, and the future of your business.

Sebastya

SEO Expert
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
View attachment 30459

Fantastic.

You mentioned your primary source of lead generation is door-to-door. What other sources have you tried, and what else have you planned to try?

OP
OP
halfstepdown88

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Do you have your own solar company?
Yes

Did one tick bite cause all those diseases? That sounds like it is beyond the ordinary randomly-bitten-by-diseased-insect story... at least I hope it's not usually that bad. You've got me looking around for ticks.
No idea. One tick can carry a lot, though.

Very sorry to hear about the infections. That stuff is no joke. I'm guessing you got the hallmark red spots all over? I hope you can fully recover from it. Makes its all the more impressive about your business success when you were not even at 100%.

Do you run into any problems or obstacles with the current fossil fuel administration? Are there any sort of incentives or deductions on your side vs the consumer? I've always been fascinated on making the change to solar. Best wishes to you, your ailing co-workers, and the future of your business.
I got a lot of really weird marks that were extremely strange when I was really sick.

I never run into problems or obstacles with the current fossil fuel administration. The main thing that matters is net metering, which is determined by the local utility. You can't sell solar in every market.

Fantastic.

You mentioned your primary source of lead generation is door-to-door. What other sources have you tried, and what else have you planned to try?
Facebook Ads. I have some sales that come from that. It's just D2D is so effective it's almost easier to just do that instead of try to scale up FB ads.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2014
Well, I don't just have Lyme. I have Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (30% mortality rate if untreated), EBV, Babesia, Mycoplasma, and a bunch of other viruses.
How did you get your diagnosis? Seems odd to have so many relatively rare diseases, except Epstein-Barr Virus. Plus as you describe a bunch of other viruses.

If based on symptoms I wouldn’t believe those diagnoses at all. Did they do cultures, ELISA, anybody titers, etc? What specific diagnostic criteria were you diagnosed?

OP
OP
halfstepdown88

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
How did you get your diagnosis? Seems odd to have so many relatively rare diseases, except Epstein-Barr Virus. Plus as you describe a bunch of other viruses.

If based on symptoms I wouldn’t believe those diagnoses at all. Did they do cultures, ELISA, anybody titers, etc? What specific diagnostic criteria were you diagnosed?
Lots of people that get Lyme get a host of other diseases, since Lyme suppresses the immune system. In fact, Bartonella is really what has caused most of my issues.

I got full testing done, all of them confirmed. When you say, "based on symptoms I wouldn't believe those diagnoses at all" --> I never said what my symptoms have been, so not sure where you are getting the symptoms.

I've had brain swelling, encephalitis, pain behind eyes, lightheadedness, hot flashes, freezing cold, random fevers, extreme fatigue, confusion and memory loss, etc. and the list goes on.

I couldn't work for almost 2 years because I literally couldn't do anything. I'd get into the bathtub and forget to turn the water on and just sit there for 2 hours before realizing what I was doing.

During the worst part of it, for 8 months I had to see a therapist 2x a week just to prevent myself from killing myself it was so bad.

Below are some photos of what some of the random marks looked like that appeared on my skin frequently.

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
Lots of people that get Lyme get a host of other diseases, since Lyme suppresses the immune system. In fact, Bartonella is really what has caused most of my issues.

I got full testing done, all of them confirmed. When you say, "based on symptoms I wouldn't believe those diagnoses at all" --> I never said what my symptoms have been, so not sure where you are getting the symptoms.

I've had brain swelling, encephalitis, pain behind eyes, lightheadedness, hot flashes, freezing cold, random fevers, extreme fatigue, confusion and memory loss, etc. and the list goes on.

I couldn't work for almost 2 years because I literally couldn't do anything. I'd get into the bathtub and forget to turn the water on and just sit there for 2 hours before realizing what I was doing.

During the worst part of it, for 8 months I had to see a therapist 2x a week just to prevent myself from killing myself it was so bad.

Below are some photos of what some of the random marks looked like that appeared on my skin frequently.
Absolutely, I believe all of that. Sounds like you were in a worse hell than I was. That last photo looks like herpes zoster (another manifestation of chicken pox, herpes virus 3).
Almost everyone has EBV and several of the herpes viruses. What can happen is if the immune system is overwhelmed or jacked all out of place those viruses get more free range and what is usually asymptomatic becomes symptomatic and can blister out or cause even more problems.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I believe you'll very slowly make a full recovery. To anyone else out there, this stuff is real and you can't usually see how awful it feels to have this happen to you.
If you suspect anything, move on it with treatment as fast as you can!!!

Last edited:

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 16, 2014
That looks very painful, I’m sure it has been a long road and struggle. I’m sorry you have had to live with this, I’m sure it’s been horrible. I hope you can get on with your life soon.

What I was trying to say, but maybe didn’t come off exactly as I had intended, is that not all diagnoses are correct. I deal with this every day. I’ve put in vascular ports for people with diagnoses of lyme’s.

Maybe I can say this another way. All diagnosis is a matter of probability. There is both positive predictive and negative predictive values assigned to every test. positive predictive value is probability that someone with a positive test has the disease. Negative predictive value is the probability that someone with a negative test does not have the disease. No test had a 100% positive and a 100% negative predictive value.

I was asking about what specific tests you had had done, because as physicians we often give patients provisional diagnoses. A provisional diagnosis is really a best guess based on available evidence at the time. Not all provisional diagnoses are based on objective tests. Some diagnosis are more of professional hunches. Partly because not all diseases are easy to test for or the tests don’t have great predictive values.

Many times patients take provisional diagnoses as the final say, I.e. that take it as 100% confirmation they have the disease. As I was trying to say before, each disease has a prevelance, which is the percent of the population with a given disease. Statistically the probablilty of having many many relatively uncommon diseases is very low.

I have no doubt you have suffered some horrible problems, but it is sometime helpful to weed out some of the red herrings in your diagnostic work up. That’s why I ask what specific tests and what the results where. Not that you need to disclose them here, just something for you to consider.

The more diagnoses you have the more likely one or many of them are incorrect, and an unnecessary rabbit hole you may be going down. Being able to eliminate the wrong provisional diagnosis and focus on the correct ones will help you to a more speedy recovery.

best of luck with everything, I hope you can find a cure

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
View attachment 30459

Inspiring story .

What is the your business model? A distributor of solar emery equipment? Where are they manufactured, foreign or domestic? Who are your clients?

Sorry to hear what happened to your best manager and dear friend.

Sethamus

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
What is avg roi if I put solar on my house, years till paid for - including tax breaks? I never see numbers that make it worth it yet, sell me.

payingkarma

Contributor
Sep 16, 2019
So sorry for your health situation... but that's some mad numbers your first year.

Help me understand you biz.

what's your biz - You just do sales and have a third-party install it? or do you have your own crew go and install solar panels?

Dya do this nationally or only in your backyard?

Give me some sales pipeline numbers - # of contacts to # of Leads --to-- # appointments --to-- # of scheduled jobs

Jamie Cahill

PARKED
Feb 23, 2017
Ireland
Hi

Congratulations on some great success over the past year and sorry to hear about yours and your colleagues illness.
Relating to your journey with Lyme, I once had a coinfection of Lyme and malaria which left me bedridden for months. After alot of treatment protocols I eventually found help with Biomagnetism. I travelled from Ireland to NYC to see Dr. Garcia who specialises in Lyme. I later met another biomag Lyme expert in Dublin Ireland for further treatments... Long story short, I am cured from it.... It was by far the most effective thing I ever did to treat the infection. Perhaps something to look out for in your area and give a try. Best of luck.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Perth
I was stressing over some stupid shit today (last few months really) and you definitely made me realise what a little bitch I was being.

Thankyou for telling your story. Appreciated it and found it great inspiration.

Karl Anderson

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 20, 2017
New York
[Q
UOTE="halfstepdown88, post: 852409, member: 10068"]
View attachment 30459

[/QUOTE]

Ive found that mold illness or what’s called CIRS is closely related to Lyme disease. Definitely worth looking into.

James Fend

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey.. Congrats on your success thus far. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I live in Vegas, and I've actually ran across another who's wife got Lyme disease. (ironically also, came across one other person who drop ships solar related products).

Anyways, you sound like a warrior. Looking forward to following your progress.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
TEOTWAWKI SALE!! The apocalypse is here and the end is near! Unstoppable viruses, corrupt...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock