The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice for E-com product that has a great USP but isn't selling. What could be wrong???

Marketing, social media, advertising

brock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 25, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Been dabbling in E-com probably the last 4 years and learning the ropes, I've had moderate success with selling random products on FBA and importing stock for a former boss and making him plenty of profit. I use all of MJ's tools in his books and learned from other entrepreneurs as well.

Currently been developing and getting my new product/brand sorted over the past year. It's finally at the launch stage, I've done a PPC launch but the reception is poor. All the effort I've put into the product putting the customer first by basing my product development on a real need. My impressions are currently 26k with about 30 clicks and the average CPC is $2.

My USP is clearly visible in my main image and I thought customers would pick up on it straight away. I also explain the pain points my product solves in the copy and other images available.

I've come to a conclusion that Maybe my image needs to be changed so the USP stands out more, maybe I need to make a separate aesthetic landing page explaining the USP more clearly and the reason why it's better than all competing products, maybe because I have to no social proof on amazon people are reluctant to buy my product. My USP is a major feature for the product that makes it more useful and much better to use compared to competitors.

I'm keen on getting some feedback or maybe advice from people that have experience in selling products through external ads/ click funnels or people that are experienced in E-com and Amazon that have had successful businesses. I think maybe I could have a lot of success selling it for a higher price through a really good click funnel or landing page.

I'm extremely positive people will appreciate my product in this certain niche and they won't mind paying extra for the USP I provide and overall better value.

Look forward to hearing from everyone, thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
My impressions are currently 26k with about 30 clicks
Thats an extremely low CTR, .001% to be exact. That likely means you ad or copy needs improvement.

If people are seeing your ad but not clicking, that likely means your ad needs improvement OR that you are targeting the wrong type of people.

If people are clicking your ad but not purchasing, well that could mean a lot of things.. your website could need improvement (copy or design), your price may be too high, your getting the wrong type of people to your website (targeting issue), or people just don't like the product.
I think maybe I could have a lot of success selling it for a higher price through a really good click funnel or landing page.
Don't get stuck with this mindset. You don't need a fancy sales funnel or landing page. You just need to get this infront of the right people. If you need a fancy sales funnel you don't have a productocracy.

Just start with this: Where are your potential customers? Google? Forums? Tradeshows?

Get in front of them, or even better.. start talking to them. People don't want to be sold to or advertised to. They want to be helped.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
You are trying to sell on facts. Most buying decisions are based on emotions. Here is the USP chapter from the latest edition of my book LabelsThatExploitThePowerOfPsychology, PerceptionsAndEmotions:

Chapter 20. USPs - Essential use of Emotional Triggers.
  • So far almost every part of this book has been about exploiting emotional triggers. Now we come to their ultimate use – in determining what will be your Unique Selling Proposition. (USP).
  • Bear in mind that the primary purpose of a USP is to make your product, your website, your labels, your packaging, your service, and the satisfaction you provide, stand out from the crowd. That is why it is called a UNIQUE Selling Proposition.
  • Below is a list of potential emotional triggers that you can exploit as your USP. Look them over and see if you can satisfy at least one of these desires, knowing from your research as suggested in Chapter 7.2 and 7.2.1 that your target audience will have varying needs and wants. Most buyers will think of them as needs, but you know that you are trying to satisfy their wants.
These are very common needs/wants, and in some demographics many or all of them will be shared by the one target audience

• To succeed in life
  • To feel secure
  • To enjoy a sense of well-being
  • To be the person they want to be
  • To feel a sense of belonging
  • To feel a sense of freedom
  • To feel a sense of excitement or thrill
  • To protect the environment
  • To stand out from the crowd

If you can devise a USP based on what the majority of your potential customers would see as desirable or essential they will buy.

I hope this helps.
Walter

Last edited:

brock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 25, 2018
Did you use any beta testers or analyze the analytics?
My product is on Amazon so I could see all the buyer demand and sales history of competitors. It's in the fitness niche and a pain point that I had myself while using the product. I now made an upgraded version of the product but just trying to tweak the pricing and work on PPC.

i think I may need to point out the USP more

Jakob O.

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2021
My product is on Amazon so I could see all the buyer demand and sales history of competitors. It's in the fitness niche and a pain point that I had myself while using the product. I now made an upgraded version of the product but just trying to tweak the pricing and work on PPC.

How his it going, did you solve your problem?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
If physical or mental pain is the problem you have solved, a USP such as
Gain Without The Pain would be far better than explaining the "reason why it's better than all competing products".

You might like to see this thread:

How to learn Branding?

Emotions outsell reason by a very high margin.

Walter

Last edited:

AmazonDon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 28, 2021
On the Amazon
26k impressions is quite low for Amazon. What are your ad budgets and what kinds of keywords are you targeting? Are you using broad match? Exact? As mentioned by Empires the CTR is quite low as well.

Has your product generated any reviews? How about your competitors? If you have stiff competition you will need to work to gain credibility with your customers and Amazon's algorithm.

Unless your listing content is very poor that is unlikely to be the main reason users are not converting.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm extremely positive people will appreciate my product in this certain niche and they won't mind paying extra for the USP I provide and overall better value.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case. I had a similar experience myself and was reminded that the market tells you what it wants, not the other way round. In that circumstance my click through rate was terrible, but it was better than the one you quoted.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, however as painful as it is, my advice is cut your losses, find something that sells, chalk it up to a learning experience.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

No matter how many click throughs you get, you are wasting your money while ever you stick to the idea that you can persuade those people that your USP is as wonderful as you know it to be.

I won't bore you with quotes from psychologists and marketing professionals, but you might be interested to know that the Harvard Business Review published an article on this subject. The title was: “The New Science of Customer Emotions A better way to drive growth and profitability”.

Maybe you can think about this question: Why will a woman only pay $1 or so for a cake of soap, but will happily pay $10 or even $100 for a jar of cleansing cream? The soap is far more efficient at cleaning than cleansing cream is, so why???

Just trying to help.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.