The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding motivation when you have a 9-5

go giver

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
May 18, 2018
motivation is garbage because you won't get it when you need it.
what you need is consistent action towards your goal.

so, how do you stay consistent? you take the first step without hesitation.most of us have the problem of getting started

how do you take the first step? use the five-second rule 5-4-3-2-1 and you take the first step
it helps you to create a starting ritual by counting backward.

it is also backed by scientific research.

I personally use the
5-secondrule+GOLD! - Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

give it a try

hope this helps!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LRival87

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 4, 2016
Nashville, TN
Hell yeah man.

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I can totally relate. I used to feel like my employer owned my time. I used to feel like if only I had more time, I would actually get my other businesses done. I felt trapped. And I felt used by my employer. I had a lot of bitterness and anger and I directed it at the only thing I knew - my employer.

In hindsight, this wasn't fair at all. Or accurate. Or helpful.

I got a job working my own hours, three days a week. Basically I ended up working about 6 hours a day 3 days a week. This new job utilized my unique skill set and knowledge, had tons of flexibility, paid more, and I had TONS of free time.

Guess what happened with all that free time? I was suffocated by it. I misused it like crazy. I felt even worse when I had all that time. I knew I should do something with it, but I had zero discipline. I spent so much time blaming my employer and my job that I never figured out the problem was all with myself.

Honestly, not trying to be mean, and don't think I'm talking down to you in any way. I was the same way. But your problem is 100% yourself. There is no reason that you can't work a 9-5 job and have time to work on your ideas or your business at home.

Some practical advice for you:

1. Pick one business idea. Just one.
2. Write out a general outline including your target market, general cost required to start, etc.
3. Break down everything into actionable items. What are the three things you could do THIS WEEK. Small steps - break it all into small steps.
4. Take one step every day. Don't let the big idea overwhelm you. Just focus on consistent action over time and develop this habit.

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. If you're like I used to be, you come home from work and veg in front of Netflix with a drink in hand. Cut it out. You're watching your life literally slip past you. You're going to die one day. Live the life you were meant to live.

annagreenang

New Contributor
Jul 6, 2018
Essex, CT
Hey, welcome to the forum.

I can totally relate. I used to feel like my employer owned my time. I used to feel like if only I had more time, I would actually get my other businesses done. I felt trapped. And I felt used by my employer. I had a lot of bitterness and anger and I directed it at the only thing I knew - my employer.

In hindsight, this wasn't fair at all. Or accurate. Or helpful.

I got a job working my own hours, three days a week. Basically I ended up working about 6 hours a day 3 days a week. This new job utilized my unique skill set and knowledge, had tons of flexibility, paid more, and I had TONS of free time.

Guess what happened with all that free time? I was suffocated by it. I misused it like crazy. I felt even worse when I had all that time. I knew I should do something with it, but I had zero discipline. I spent so much time blaming my employer and my job that I never figured out the problem was all with myself.

Honestly, not trying to be mean, and don't think I'm talking down to you in any way. I was the same way. But your problem is 100% yourself. There is no reason that you can't work a 9-5 job and have time to work on your ideas or your business at home.

2. Write out a general outline including your target market, general cost required to start, etc.
3. Break down everything into actionable items. What are the three things you could do THIS WEEK. Small steps - break it all into small steps.
4. Take one step every day. Don't let the big idea overwhelm you. Just focus on consistent action over time and develop this habit.

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. If you're like I used to be, you come home from work and veg in front of Netflix with a drink in hand. Cut it out. You're watching your life literally slip past you. You're going to die one day. Live the life you were meant to live.

Thank you for the helpful information

Kaio Gui

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 14, 2018
São Paulo, Brazil
Hello ,

I find myself in the same situation, work 8-6, Monday to Friday, Saturday (8-3) I have a jewelry store and I face a lot of headaches every day, causing problems from outside to inside my house ... but when I started to read the book, a habit that I never had, I started to change my thinking, I put myself in 1st place, I'm training in taking more actions, avoiding saying no to things just so I do not do them, I'm dedicating myself at least 1 hour a day in the book, and all the rest of the time I'm stuck I write down my ideas ...

My motivation is to be better than me more and more!

good luck

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum yesterday.

Anyway, I am having major motivation issues. I work a 9-5 and when I should be working (like right now), I am constantly thinking about my business and what I can do to improve. The thing is when I get home, I literally have no energy left, so I don't work on my business then either. Basically, I can't concentrate at work or at home. Does anyone else deal with this, any tips?

annagreenang

New Contributor
Jul 6, 2018
Essex, CT

Anyway, I am having major motivation issues. I work a 9-5 and when I should be working (like right now), I am constantly thinking about my business and what I can do to improve. The thing is when I get home, I literally have no energy left, so I don't work on my business then either. Basically, I can't concentrate at work or at home. Does anyone else deal with this, any tips?
I was having the same problem 2 year before but then i got business loan from a private lender and started a clothing business. I succeeded in this business after few months and now i am happily living.

Mitch carson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 28, 2018
Sylhet, Bangladesh

Yes! recently, I am dealing with it. As I am just started I have face this difficulties. after finish office it is tough to main that. but I love to seat before computer always and do not feel tired too much to work three four hours after office!

what can help you on this case if your business relevant your passion will give extra satisfaction and happiness!

I also think after certain time everyone should leave office!

Thank you

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Use everything you hate in your 9-5 as a motivator.

Here's a list of things that motivate me on a daily basis.

1. Being herded out of the train station with every other commuter, like cattle being sent to the slaughter
  2. Boring, repetitive weekend where the same generic conversations take place every week
  3. Every time I hear 'happy Friday'
  4. Lying through my teeth every time someone asks if I like my job
  5. Knowing the dream is sweeter than the bitter taste of Monday morning coffee
  6. Everyday when my alarm goes off at 5:45am
These things used to really pull me down, now I use them as motivation. I know that I am working to escape this. My point is, every time you get back from work and sit down remember you are doing this to liberate yourself so you can live your life.

I do not care how cheesy that sounds but that is the reality. That is why we are all here.

Big_Benny

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 25, 2018
Australia

Excellent advice!

Thank you!

Mazzolini

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Feb 13, 2017
Detroit
My barber is 83 and is the most energetic hilarious guy i currently know. He plays golf three days a week and drinks three juicers a day. Try eatting more veggies

Throughout college i really wanted to learn to code python and build websites. I remember just trying to work 1 hour a day pushing through loads of errors that took days to troubleshoot. I knew that i just had to make an consistent effort and never give up. Slowly by being persistent i could trouble shoot the hardest bugs and errors. I not only became better, skill wise, but i became more interested and more motivated. REMEMBER MOTIVATION IS CAUSED BY ACTION! NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. These days i come home from work and work on my websites for 4-5 hours until i go to bed, because im good at it, so i enjoy it. I would rather design websites than sleep. I’m in love. If you asked me a year ago? I’d want to smash my computer from all the python errors.

TDLR: A little bit each day is better than nothing and it will lead to more motivation.

handog

Believing Is Seeing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 3, 2018
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If you search amazon for "freezer meals" you'll find alot of books on the subject. I love to makeup freezer meals in advance and plop them into the oven after work so that I can be more productive with my time rather than using the time left after my day job, to cook. But if you like to cook, it's also a good time to listen to audio books.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Get up 2-3 hours earlier to work on your business only. That way you have no other choice to grind AND there's nobody disturbing you.

Worked for me and many others on this forum. Good luck!
Difficult for us in the food industry.

I didn’t even get off work until 11:30 last night...smh

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California

I practice sales at my job though it isn't my first task. Also I meet many real estate owners and construction companies so I always ask how's business and other questions.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Is there a possibility for you to work remotely?

Try checking a section on Remote Work in "4 hour work week". Tim gives practical steps on turning your 9 to 5 into remote work schedule, also with a script on how other person he gave advice to did it.

I've negotiated remote work schedule with my company and won myself many hours that could have been wasted in transport (~ 2 hours each day), as well as stress of being stuck in traffic. Instead I use those hours towards working on my business. I wouldn't exchange this kind of flexibility for any other day job.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
A great thread, thanks for starting it. Like many here, I can relate. Up at 5, on the road for an hour and half commute by 6, work for 9+ hours, drive home. Some days I'm physically and mentally exhausted. But I know I cannot, will not, go on this way. That drives me to put in a couple hours changing my life - no matter how tired I am. Some times the worse the day "at work" the hard I work when I get home. Give your employer their money's worth during their time, that is what you've agreed to do for their pay. Then give yourself even more effort during your time.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
I know exactly how draining a 9 to 5 can be, especially if you dislike the work environment and the people. You're in a vicious cycle right now where think about all the fun things about your business that you want to do during the day, and burn yourself out. As many have already said in here, you're going to have to change your mindset. You start slowly scheduling small amounts of time each day, perhaps 15min to start, and focus fully for 15min and get some work done. Your reward is now you can relax, watch TV, whatever. Over time you'll increase this to an hour or two depending on your preference, and you can schedule it morning or after work.

Here's what has worked for me, I also was couch locked every day after work for a long time. I made sure that I was getting the best sleep possible. I had a sleep study done, got treatment for some problems I had, and now I'm getting better sleep. Make sure to get that out of the way just to see. After this, start committing to 8+ hours of sleep a night, and move your bedtime back. 9:30pm is a good time to try to fall asleep by, which takes approx 15min. Stop using media and such around 8:30 and switch to reading or similar activities. You'll wake up at 5am and have plenty of time to prepare your mind for the day, properly feed yourself, and do some business work.

Once you set a goal for one of your businesses, find somewhere centrally visually located, something you'll see everyday without fail. Put a reminder for your goal up there, so that it is always on your mind. Break the goal down to as small of tasks as needed, and start making progress.

Another thing to consider is space allocation and cleanliness. If you have a work area specifically set up to support the tasks you do for your business idea, then it'll be easier for you to get "on the job".. one less excuse and inconvenience. Having clutter around your living and work spacing has a mental effect on you. You don't notice it until everything is clean and back in order, but it's a simple peace of mind that occurs because everything has a place, and everything is in it's place. I recommend the Konmari method, even more accessible now that Netflix has premiered a show featuring Marie Kondo applying her method. Do check out her books, the first one is the one I've read and it's great, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo.

Get your head in the game, set your mind to your task, and stop making excuses. Just do it!

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I usually woke up a few hours early before work to work on my own projects. In all honesty, why would i give my best most productive hours to some job when there isn't much incentive for me to do so?

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Just out of curiosity, if not on business, what are you guys spending your time on after work?

If you are doing things like; partying with your friends, not eating right, not working out, and watching TV, no wonder you can't find the motivation.

Your patterns and beliefs must be congruent with your goals. (@Kung Fu Steve cough cough...)

Someone on the forum once said that if you hold the patterns and beliefs of an employee, that is the highest you will be able to achieve. Why do you think those "Top ten lists of what successful people" do are so popular?

Conversely, someone can also have the patterns and beliefs of a $1 Million income potential. In this case they will not be able to exceed that income until they adopt a $10 Million belief system.

I still have a full time job, but for me it is not even a question what to do after work. My passion to leave is so strong that it isn't something I think about, I just do it.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I still have a full time job, but for me it is not even a question what to do after work. My passion to leave is so strong that it isn't something I think about, I just do it.
I'm with you Greg. Even though I know the company I work for is doing important work and I like many of the people there, I know I cannot stay there. Every free minute of my time is spent on either my wife or our transition to the fast lane. She's onboard with the transition making it much easier.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Know your Behaviour Traps.

In my case it wouldn't make any sense sleeping for 1 hour or less after my 8 hours of work slavery. When I'm doing this I need afterwards 2 hours and more to be ready working on my business. So I tried to find other options after entering my home to not going to sleep.

You can learn and lose your behavioural attitude in a small amount of time. Like a few weeks.

Know your own WHY

I see so many advices about motivation and willpower which are in my opinion marketing tools to sell you the new ebook or course. Or whatever.

Building your own business only on motivation means always be confronted with "Should I give up?"

If you really understand your own truly WHY. You don't need any motivation or willpower. Working on your own business will be like brushing your teeths. A natural process without any cost of willpower. You keep naturally going in the flow.

The only question you will be asking: How can I invest more resources into my business? Also time.

Calculate your Living Cost

Have your ever calculated how much money do you really need for the basic life? I mean the real basic life. Without living on the street or being hungry? Or without travelling 5 times a year to fancy places?

I was surprised that I don't need much to pay all my bills and for the little lifestyle I have. So I'm going reducing in my next step the weekly work hours and invest more time in my own business. In myself.

I know. Every minute I invest in my work process brings me at step further into my freedom. Out of this crazy system of self exploitation and low life expectations.

I want to live.

And not getting after 45 years of work in the same company a box of chocolate and a sweaty handshake.

Everybody deserves more than that. Right?

How much value do you give your own life? I hope the most.

Schönen Tag,
Einfamilienhaus

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
If you are able to structure it, I would highly recommend waking up VERY early, putting in your business efforts before the sun rises, then go to work and if you don't have the proper energy for work... well realistically you'll probably fit right in with everyone else.

If you wake up at 3:30, shit/shower/shave, start real business work at 4am and work until 8:30, that's 4.5 hours to get real things accomplished. Put in your daily grind at the office, come home and check on anything that needs addressing from the morning's activities (probably less than 30 minutes of follow-ups as needed), then go to bed at 8:30pm. That gives you 7 hours of sleep which is more than enough for most people. Hell I worked on 6 hours of sleep for years without issues - not enjoyable but certainly "doable" if needed.

Honestly, getting work done after a long day at the office (or wherever) is impossible for me. Truly, perfectly impossible. Call it a limiting belief but my brain was SHOT after 8 hours working for someone else. Zero gas left in the mental tank. Working early however puts your best energy towards your own project.
Awesome advice @JAJT, thank you so much for sharing!

You inspired me to think differently and take action on a new time system. Much appreciated. Rep+

Wanted to add a little value -
For those of you struggling to be assertive in the morning, here’s a quick and effective technique —

View: https://youtu.be/gru7BLqiC0c

Also, for those of you who have trouble falling asleep, drinking chamomile tea 30 - 60 minutes before bed works great

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
This is something I have struggled with. It is even worse when you hate your day job, it just drains you when you spend 9 hours away from home for something you have no passion or even like of.

What helped me is making a list the night before of the things I want to accomplish after work. When I did that I was too ambitious and it will cause disappointment. I was more realistic so I would make a list of two smaller things and one large thing to accomplish before I went to bed.

I know some people get up earlier to do the work but I am a night owl and can rarely go to sleep before midnight so I would use the night time to accomplish what I needed. I am often most awake and productive from 9 to 11 pm which is the opposite of most people.

Manillow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 7, 2019
Hi guys! As I know myself, I motivate myself with my targets, books, stories about people who reach something cool for example: Gennadiy Vykhodtsev Foxtrot . So kind of articles working pretty good. But best motivation is your brain. Use it for 100% and you will get all that you need. Have a good day!

Inkatha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
340%
Nov 9, 2020
I'm struggling with this as well. I work full-time as a software engineer and I have a product idea I'm building in my spare time. The olympic level mental gymnastics I play on myself to avoid sitting down to design/code is gold medal worthy. I think one of the problems is that I already code full-time, so trying to start a business doing the same activity feels draining.

Another part of me feels like this is just an excuse and I should be able to overcome this. I feel like I'm in limbo at times.

aabawe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Mar 19, 2022
I've been having the same issue. I've decided I will:
1. Wake up early and use my energy on my business.
2. Write down small goals to achieve daily so that I am making progress regardless of size.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
I fought tooth and nail with this for 4 years.
A lot of problems are ones one must personally face, conversely, a lot of problems are created solely because most of us have to go to a bureaucratic boomer soul-torture farm to have the life sucked out of us for at least 40 hours a week if we want to eat and have a roof over our head.
It's one of the toughest challenges you can face, especially if you're a cubicle cretin and spend all day stewing in stress and an additional hour+ commuting. For the progress you do make, it takes just 5 minutes to backslide and lose a month's worth of habit building.

It goes like this:
You get back from the dayjob and you're just worn -out-, you feel dead tired, you just want to "relax", so you watch some youtube.
Oops! It's already 8:30, got to get ready and go to bed, you'll try to wake up early and knock out this work.
-BEEP BEEP BEEP- It's 4:45 already? Ugh you're tired, you'll just sleep in...
-BEEP BEEP BEEP- It's SEVEN already?!?! You're going to be late! You need to run NOW!
You spend another day stewing in a cubicle
You lose another half hour you'll never get back stuck in bumper to bumper traffic
"I'm beat, I'll just watch a little youtube before starting on this work"

The work never gets done, and you get a little bit older as the cycle continues...

And that's how about 4 years disappeared for me.
Sometimes I would feel the fire and the motivation, but if I didn't get good results, I would default back to zombie mode, and once you're in the low point, it takes a LOT to force your way back out.
Even if things did go my way, dealing with surprises or overtime at work would zap the life out of me.
I managed to hustle and win two 50$/hr copywriting clients in 2019. They eventually ghosted me because I missed all sorts of deadlines struggling with my energy levels and the will to do anything besides be a zombie as I trembled at the thought of the next day or workweek AND writing responsibilities. The upward spiral seemingly backfired and became a downward spiral in just a week.

Only this past Jan when I realized that I was taking a 12% paycut due to inflation and that I'd hit my late-twenties, that I HAD to change and NEVER give up. I still feel like hell waking up early and working 6 extra hours a day, but all my previous excuses were burned down to a crisp. I have to be this way now because I probably won't have too bright a future, or even be able to afford a house if don't.
(plug: focusmate.com really helped me, it was just 5$ a month for unlimited coworking sessions, also met a lot of people that were able to give great advice or those that I could help as well.)

I still don't know if it will work, the world seems a lot less prosperous at the moment and my niche may be tightening down as businesses button down, but I won't know for sure if just quit again and go back to the cubicle zomboid I was.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.