The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hey guys I wanted to share with you how in the last 4 years or so I have become super fit by following Jeff Cavalier's AthleanX programme on Youtube. I call it the Fastlane To Fitness for a few reasons, but first let me explain the second part of this post's title.

I am indeed 46 years old, and recently I went to my gym to get a fitness MOT, basically a full check up on my health.

As the PT did the various tests on me, he kept on muttering under his breath, and wowing at me.

"Woah, this is really good..."

"Hang on, that can't be right..."

"How old did you say you were again?"

"I'm 26 and .... wow!"

OK, enough of the boasting, well not quite yet...

So it turns out that my scores put me in the top 10%; or as the Americans would say the 90th percentile for...

Twenty year old's! - and I have the VO2 max (aerobic capacity) of an elite athlete (68), and it is all; well, mostly down to Jeff Cavalier, and of course my willingness to follow his advice.

Who Is Jeff?

Jeff Cavalier is the man who puts the science back into fitness; I like Mr Cavalier for two main reasons, he is a physical scientist and his fitness knowledge and advice is unparalleled.

Secondly his AthleanX business is a beautiful fastlane model, and it has seen his channel grow from a tiny acorn, to 5.6 million subscribers, and I like to see guys like that have success. In fact this video here describes his fastlane attitude perfectly whilst telling you what your attitude should be, have a quick watch and then continue reading...

For me that video perfectly embodies what we are trying to do here as entrepreneurs and has captured the growth mindset we need to have in order to grow and thrive.

How Did You Get So Fit Old Man?

Okay, a little about me...

I played a lot of (non-professional) sports as a kid right up until my knees gave up in protest in my mid-thirties.

I smoked for 30 years (recently quit).

Two of my grandparents lived into their 100s, my mum is still going strong touching 90, and I tend to build muscle and lose fat fairly easily. So I guess you could say that genetically speaking, I've had a bit of a leg up.

So maybe what worked for me, won't work for you in exactly the same way, but I know one thing, if you follow the AthleanX program you will lose weight and get stronger, and having the AthleanX attitude will benefit you in more ways than 'just' improving your health.

Universal Truths Of Health & Fitness

Let's get onto the weight loss and fitness now, time for some tough love, because there's a lot of BS out there about losing weight (some of which I've read on our very own beloved forum), however I'm here to tell you some universal truths, look away now if you are of a , self-deluding disposition.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER ONE - If you are overweight it is because you eat too much and exercise too little. It is not because of an under active thyroid or fluoride, oestrogen in the water, or some over new-age BS, it is because you sit on your behind all day and eat food that is bad for you (apologies to the 0.002% of you that actually do have thyroid problems).

So no matter what some stupid new TV dietitian tells you, you are eating too much and exercising too little and the ONLY way you are going to lose weight and keep that weight off, is to reverse this trend.

Not convinced?

Go to India and check out how many poor people are fat...

What about North Korea; have you noticed how Kim Jong Un is literally the only fat person in the entire country?

That's right folks, it's because poor Indians, North Koreans and almost everyone else in the developing world do not have the luxury of eating all day whilst doing nothing more strenuous than typing and going to the toilet.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER TWO - E is for Effort, it takes good old fashioned effort to get fit, and the older you get the more effort it takes. I like to borrow MJ's analogy of trying to steer an asteroid off the collision course it's on towards earth.

If you start when it's way out in the asteroid belt, you'll only need the thrust-capacity of an aerosol can to gently nudge it by a fraction of a degree, so that by the time it get's to our space, it misses us.

However if you wait until that asteroid is by the moon, then you're going to need Will Smith, probably Bruce Willis as well, and a sh*t ton of nukes to move that baby.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER THREE - Exercise and a good diet are the only ways to change your metabolism and enable you to keep your excess weight off, for good. There is no supplement, homeopathic remedy, bile-chanting shaman that can do what exercise and a good diet will do for you, period.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER FOUR - High Intensity Training (HIIT) is the best way to burn fat, it has been shown that it can help you burn fat for up to 2 DAYS after your exercise. That isn't to say you should do HIIT and then pig out on Twinkies for 48 hours... These claims are scientifically proven via clinical trials

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER FIVE - Just walking through the doors of the gym will not get you healthy - I see so many guys in the gym and they look COMFORTABLE, they are not sweating, they are not straining, and they are not doing a damned thing for their fitness. They are quite literally wasting their time. You need to sweat, that is a sign you are burning fat and building muscle, otherwise just stay at home and bust open another doughnut already!

Back To The Brofessor

The reason you should follow Jeff, is because if you are on this forum, then you have decided to take a certain attitude towards your professional life. You want to add value to the world, and in the process become a millionaire or more, you want to life an Unscripted life so that you can enjoy your time on this planet the way you know you should, not the way you've been told to.

So why oh why wouldn't you have that attitude towards your body? What's the point of making it big, but being so unhealthy you can't fully enjoy it?

Also being an entrepreneur takes energy and being super healthy and fit gives you energy.

The Program

If you're a cheapskate like me, then you don't need to pay Jeff for his program, you can follow his Youtube channel, but I warn you, that will take more work and dedication. If you feel you don't have the motivation to do that, then just shut up and give him your money! It will be the best thing you've ever done, man, woman, old or young, like Nike says, just do it.

Depending on your level of fitness will depend on where you join him, but he is always giving you easier alternatives if you are a beginner.

OK, I'm gonna shut up now, and just leave you with a few videos you should start off with, follow this guy's program and trust me, in no time at all, you'll be carved out of wood.

(If I get enough likes, I may even show you my AthleanX inspired abs :-D)

Go for it guys 'n' gals! Fastlane your fitness today!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Boom! Putting the science back in strength, dynamic planks!!!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
This is gold for me, just what I was looking for.

Any recommendation on videos to gain muscle mass?

If this helps one person that makes me happy :)

As far as muscle mass, or anything I'm looking for, I simply put Athlean-X and then what I'm looking for into the Youtube search bar, if you can think about it, Jeff's done it :)

Here's a good muscle mass one

I like this one as well; I find his pec ones particularly good as I've always been a 'hard gainer' in that area... not any more though :)

SummerGladness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
You need to sweat, that is a sign you are burning fat and building muscle

lol I appreciate you're excited to have got in shape etc but c'mon. If I sit in a sauna am I building muscle and burning fat? Do 3 mile walks on a cold day not count as calorie expenditure simply because I'm not sweating?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
lol I appreciate you're excited to have got in shape etc but c'mon. If I sit in a sauna am I building muscle and burning fat? Do 3 mile walks on a cold day not count as calorie expenditure simply because I'm not sweating?

Clearly I'm talking in the context of exercise, which is blindingly obvious.

But you carry on being a smart arse, I'm sure that will get you fit.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Roli,

Congratulations on your progress. Keep on trucking brother.

And glad to see Jeff get mentioned on here, the guy is the real deal.

He is THE ONLY fitness youtuber providing a holistic/functional approach to fitness that athletes+gym-goers can use to make incredible progress and dodge nasty injuries and postural imbalances that most "bros" waddle around with.

Quick things I've learned that I wish someone smacked on the head with a few years ago!:

-Having a six-pack doesn't equate to a strong core that provides power and injury prevention - back sprain during a squat taught me this

-Most of us suffer from Gluteal Amnesia (not sure if that's the correct term). We sit on our assess so much that it forgets to fire when needed. Resulting in back strain, weakness, less explosive and general poor posture.

-Rotator cuffs and scapula work is a must. All that benching will wreak havoc on your shoulders. Strengthening the rotator cuff and scapula are key for longevity.

SummerGladness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Clearly I'm talking in the context of exercise, which is blindingly obvious.

But you carry on being a smart arse, I'm sure that will get you fit.

Still don't get what you mean. Not trying to be a smart a$$, just pointing out one of the many errors that I saw. Also assuming someone is unfit because they critiqued your post is a mistake.

Not getting draw into an internet argument but there are a lot of bro science errors, I simply picked out what I thought to be the most glaringly obvious one. Don't take it so personal.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Still don't get what you mean. Not trying to be a smart a$$, just pointing out one of the many errors that I saw. Also assuming someone is unfit because they critiqued your post is a mistake.

Not getting draw into an internet argument but there are a lot of bro science errors, I simply picked out what I thought to be the most glaringly obvious one. Don't take it so personal.

OK, fair enough. However it is not an error to say that when you sweat while exercising you are burning fat.

Also you mentioned going for a walk on a cold day, if you don't sweat, you're not burning fat. If you go for a run on a cold day, you sweat, ergo you have burned fat.

This is not bro science, it is science...

Sweat created from being is a sign of your body cooling down...

There's this thing called Google, you should try using it before critiquing something you know little or nothing about. You're probably thinking; what makes you think I know little or nothing about this subject?

Answer: Your cold weather statement, are you seriously suggesting that exercising in the cold will stop you sweating? Because if you are, then you know little or nothing about exercise, if you aren't then you're being smart arse.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your post about getting in shape, I'm sure that will have lots of helpful and insightful tips.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
-Rotator cuffs and scapula work is a must. All that benching will wreak havoc on your shoulders. Strengthening the rotator cuff and scapula are key for longevity.

Big time! It was chest day for me today, and as per Jeff's advice, for every 3 sets I did, I performed one palm to face scapular exercise, to prevent rounded shoulders.

-Most of us suffer from Gluteal Amnesia (not sure if that's the correct term). We sit on our assess so much that it forgets to fire when needed. Resulting in back strain, weakness, less explosive and general poor posture.

Indeed; I am really focusing on my glutes at the mo, but also remembering to properly activate my hams in the dead lift as weak hams can often cause problems for glutes and lower back.

The key is to make sure there's a crease at the waist as you bend down, keeping the plane of your head straight up and down. Also making sure to squeeze the glutes as you stand up in the dead lift, and to do the pilates style hip raises (while squeezing glutes).

I still have lots of work to do in this area even though I cycle almost everyday.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

There you go mate, literally the first result on Google, read and learn
When You Burn Fat Does it Produce Waste?

SummerGladness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
OK, fair enough. However it is not an error to say that when you sweat while exercising you are burning fat.

Also you mentioned going for a walk on a cold day, if you don't sweat, you're not burning fat. If you go for a run on a cold day, you sweat, ergo you have burned fat.

This is not bro science, it is science...

Can I just clarify what you're claiming here.

You are saying that when you are sweating that means you are burning fat?

And if you are not sweating, you are not burning fat?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Last edited:

Jason "GrandK"

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jun 17, 2018
Pacific Northwest

I am a subscriber to his channel for a couple years now. Totally agree that fitness should be a priority, particularly for entrepreneurs. If you do not take care of your health, who cares about your wealth. In fact, poor health will lead to diminished wealth.

I subscribe to a high fat and protein regime, with a green shake in the morning fueled with ginger, turmeric, raw greens and powder supplement. I eat a lot of nuts and lean proteins, although I do not shy away from high sat fat red meat weekly as well. I also incorporate intermittent fasting and try to only eat in an 8 hour window, allowing my body to heal and process the other 16 hours.

As for exercise, I love HIIT mixed together with 30 minute runs and long walks.

At the end of the day, the main reason to focus on healthy eating and lifestyle habits is it allows you to have more energy that can be channeled to your business and other activities that you love.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I am a subscriber to his channel for a couple years now. Totally agree that fitness should be a priority, particularly for entrepreneurs. If you do not take care of your health, who cares about your wealth. In fact, poor health will lead to diminished wealth.

I subscribe to a high fat and protein regime, with a green shake in the morning fueled with ginger, turmeric, raw greens and powder supplement. I eat a lot of nuts and lean proteins, although I do not shy away from high sat fat red meat weekly as well. I also incorporate intermittent fasting and try to only eat in an 8 hour window, allowing my body to heal and process the other 16 hours.

As for exercise, I love HIIT mixed together with 30 minute runs and long walks.

At the end of the day, the main reason to focus on healthy eating and lifestyle habits is it allows you to have more energy that can be channeled to your business and other activities that you love.

I'm slowly getting into the whole intermitent fasting thing, I think it's good discipline as well as having health benefits.

I still eat a lot of carbs as I'm trying to build muscle, however I'm sure I'm eating too much and want to get back into a more protein rich diet.

It seems as I get older my body finds it harder to process carbs, and of course activity levels are not what they used to be even with daily gym visits.

Jason "GrandK"

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jun 17, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I'm slowly getting into the whole intermitent fasting thing, I think it's good discipline as well as having health benefits.

I still eat a lot of carbs as I'm trying to build muscle, however I'm sure I'm eating too much and want to get back into a more protein rich diet.

It seems as I get older my body finds it harder to process carbs, and of course activity levels are not what they used to be even with daily gym visits.

Intermittent fasting is easy once you start fueling right because you are satiated.

My blood sugar jumps around too much when I eat carbs and I find that I get tired midday.

When you fuel correctly, you do not crash after every meal. It is a sustainable energy boost that lasts the entire day.

Check out this book on eating habits and the importance of eating right and avoiding certain foods, such as hydrogenated oils and sugar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250113822/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

SummerGladness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
[Redacted] ignored user

Not sure why you're getting so pent up mate. Just because you are sweating during exercise it doesn't mean you are burning fat. And you can burn fat without sweating. Sweat is just your body regulating temperature.

The article you linked just says that when you burn fat there is always some kind of physical waste product. I'm not sure why you linked me to it?

Why Is More Water Lost in Sweat During Vigorous Exercise Than in Urine?

This article should help.

"The bodily function that causes you to use fat for energy operates independently of the one that causes you to sweat."

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Hey guys I wanted to share with you how in the last 4 years or so I have become super fit by following Jeff Cavalier's AthleanX programme on Youtube. I call it the Fastlane To Fitness for a few reasons, but first let me explain the second part of this post's title.

I am indeed 46 years old, and recently I went to my gym to get a fitness MOT, basically a full check up on my health.

As the PT did the various tests on me, he kept on muttering under his breath, and wowing at me.

"Woah, this is really good..."

"Hang on, that can't be right..."

"How old did you say you were again?"

"I'm 26 and .... wow!"

OK, enough of the boasting, well not quite yet...

So it turns out that my scores put me in the top 10%; or as the Americans would say the 90th percentile for...

Twenty year old's! - and I have the VO2 max (aerobic capacity) of an elite athlete (68), and it is all; well, mostly down to Jeff Cavalier, and of course my willingness to follow his advice.

Who Is Jeff?

Jeff Cavalier is the man who puts the science back into fitness; I like Mr Cavalier for two main reasons, he is a physical scientist and his fitness knowledge and advice is unparalleled.

Secondly his AthleanX business is a beautiful fastlane model, and it has seen his channel grow from a tiny acorn, to 5.6 million subscribers, and I like to see guys like that have success. In fact this video here describes his fastlane attitude perfectly whilst telling you what your attitude should be, have a quick watch and then continue reading...

For me that video perfectly embodies what we are trying to do here as entrepreneurs and has captured the growth mindset we need to have in order to grow and thrive.

How Did You Get So Fit Old Man?

Okay, a little about me...

I played a lot of (non-professional) sports as a kid right up until my knees gave up in protest in my mid-thirties.

I smoked for 30 years (recently quit).

Two of my grandparents lived into their 100s, my mum is still going strong touching 90, and I tend to build muscle and lose fat fairly easily. So I guess you could say that genetically speaking, I've had a bit of a leg up.

So maybe what worked for me, won't work for you in exactly the same way, but I know one thing, if you follow the AthleanX program you will lose weight and get stronger, and having the AthleanX attitude will benefit you in more ways than 'just' improving your health.

Universal Truths Of Health & Fitness

Let's get onto the weight loss and fitness now, time for some tough love, because there's a lot of BS out there about losing weight (some of which I've read on our very own beloved forum), however I'm here to tell you some universal truths, look away now if you are of a , self-deluding disposition.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER ONE - If you are overweight it is because you eat too much and exercise too little. It is not because of an under active thyroid or fluoride, oestrogen in the water, or some over new-age BS, it is because you sit on your behind all day and eat food that is bad for you (apologies to the 0.002% of you that actually do have thyroid problems).

So no matter what some stupid new TV dietitian tells you, you are eating too much and exercising too little and the ONLY way you are going to lose weight and keep that weight off, is to reverse this trend.

Not convinced?

Go to India and check out how many poor people are fat...

What about North Korea; have you noticed how Kim Jong Un is literally the only fat person in the entire country?

That's right folks, it's because poor Indians, North Koreans and almost everyone else in the developing world do not have the luxury of eating all day whilst doing nothing more strenuous than typing and going to the toilet.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER TWO - E is for Effort, it takes good old fashioned effort to get fit, and the older you get the more effort it takes. I like to borrow MJ's analogy of trying to steer an asteroid off the collision course it's on towards earth.

If you start when it's way out in the asteroid belt, you'll only need the thrust-capacity of an aerosol can to gently nudge it by a fraction of a degree, so that by the time it get's to our space, it misses us.

However if you wait until that asteroid is by the moon, then you're going to need Will Smith, probably Bruce Willis as well, and a sh*t ton of nukes to move that baby.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER THREE - Exercise and a good diet are the only ways to change your metabolism and enable you to keep your excess weight off, for good. There is no supplement, homeopathic remedy, bile-chanting shaman that can do what exercise and a good diet will do for you, period.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER FOUR - High Intensity Training (HIIT) is the best way to burn fat, it has been shown that it can help you burn fat for up to 2 DAYS after your exercise. That isn't to say you should do HIIT and then pig out on Twinkies for 48 hours... These claims are scientifically proven via clinical trials

UNIVERSAL TRUTH NUMBER FIVE - Just walking through the doors of the gym will not get you healthy - I see so many guys in the gym and they look COMFORTABLE, they are not sweating, they are not straining, and they are not doing a damned thing for their fitness. They are quite literally wasting their time. You need to sweat, that is a sign you are burning fat and building muscle, otherwise just stay at home and bust open another doughnut already!

Back To The Brofessor

The reason you should follow Jeff, is because if you are on this forum, then you have decided to take a certain attitude towards your professional life. You want to add value to the world, and in the process become a millionaire or more, you want to life an Unscripted life so that you can enjoy your time on this planet the way you know you should, not the way you've been told to.

So why oh why wouldn't you have that attitude towards your body? What's the point of making it big, but being so unhealthy you can't fully enjoy it?

Also being an entrepreneur takes energy and being super healthy and fit gives you energy.

The Program

If you're a cheapskate like me, then you don't need to pay Jeff for his program, you can follow his Youtube channel, but I warn you, that will take more work and dedication. If you feel you don't have the motivation to do that, then just shut up and give him your money! It will be the best thing you've ever done, man, woman, old or young, like Nike says, just do it.

Depending on your level of fitness will depend on where you join him, but he is always giving you easier alternatives if you are a beginner.

OK, I'm gonna shut up now, and just leave you with a few videos you should start off with, follow this guy's program and trust me, in no time at all, you'll be carved out of wood.

(If I get enough likes, I may even show you my AthleanX inspired abs :-D)

thank you for sharing this, now a classic question, are you taking his supplements or any supplements?

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
Jeff is world class in the fitness space. He emphasizes training like an athlete - “you can train long or you can train hard, but you can’t do both”. He debunks the no carb bs. He understands the human body more than any bro bodybuilder out there. Plus, he’s entertaining; I’ll admit I’m guilty of binge watching his videos :happy:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
thank you for sharing this, now a classic question, are you taking his supplements or any supplements?

I'm not actually, the reason being that my diet isn't really 'on point'. I'm still pretty undisciplined about it, no junk food but I know it could be better, and as Jeff says, supplements will only supplement a good diet.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Jeff is world class in the fitness space. He emphasizes training like an athlete - “you can train long or you can train hard, but you can’t do both”. He debunks the no carb bs. He understands the human body more than any bro bodybuilder out there. Plus, he’s entertaining; I’ll admit I’m guilty of binge watching his videos :happy:

He is great, I tend to watch the videos I need just before going to the gym. Binge watching them just gives you information overload! :-D

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
His app is great. I couple it with 5x5 Stronglifts. Very happy with the results.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
His app is great. I couple it with 5x5 Stronglifts. Very happy with the results.

I'm going to stop being such a cheapskate and just give him my money, he deserves it.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
How Do You Join A Gym?

Huh? That's simple right? You just go along and damn well join one . . .

Wrong!

Gyms are fastlane, if you own one you have Control over your income, the barrier to Entry is medium to high, pretty much wherever you live there is Need for one.

You will need staff so your Time being taken up is not a problem, and of course if you do it well you can Scale adinfinitum.

However there is one more thing that makes owning a gym super fastlane and you know what it is.

How do gyms make most of their money?

That's right folks, the majority of their customers simply pay them without fully using their services. Some people even set up a 12 month direct debit, go a few times in January and then never again!!!

Wow, I wish I had a business whereby people just paid me and expected nothing in return . . .

Hmm, so we come back to the question; how do you join a gym?

Well the way I do it, is (wait till I can afford it, then) pay upfront for the entire year.

Trust me, the psychological effect of giving somebody between £700-1000 ($1000-1300) all at once is far greater than setting up a direct debit which you can conveniently forget about.

Because that's why gyms make most of their money from no-shows. Direct debits are psychologically easy to ignore.

Maybe you have an iron will and this doesn't apply to you; however if you're the sort of person who has been thinking to yourself;

"Man, I really should join the gym once I've [INSERT EXCUSE HERE]"

Or words to that effect, then you don't have an iron will, at least not when it comes to your fitness and health.

So if you have to, save up and go into the gym and insist on paying for 12 months up front. They'll probably give you a discount or they might not. The first gym I did that at gave me two months free. My current gym gave me a tiny percentage off (they're a much nice gym), but I didn't do it for the savings.

I did it because when you pay that much money; a week without going and getting your value is physically (and of course financially) painful.

Of course it is no different from setting up a DD and never going; however it feels different, and that's the point.

So if you have the money, march down to your local gym and drop a year's subscription on them. You may have to insist (as I did with my current gym), they may tell you that they have no such provision to except 12 months upfront.

This is BS, they do, everybody does, just tell them that this is the way you do things, and you are either going to do it with them or somebody else.

Reluctantly they will take your money, as they realise you will not fall into the 80% of their customers who hardly ever, or even never use the damn place.

Get on that fastlane to fitness guys!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
A is For Abs

Just a quick little disclaimer here, I may not be 100% accurate with all my physiology references, and may leave some details out. However I'm going by what somebody who knows infinitely more about body mechanics than I do. So I will do my best to give all the details and back them up with videos. Please (politely) let me know if I've left anything out or have included any glaring inaccuracies.

A lot of people believe (as I used to before following Jeff) that you get strong abs (and therefore a sixpack) simply by performing crunches and sit ups and variations thereof.

This is not true, maybe I'm damning you with my own ignorance here, but I don't think so, as a lot of people seemed surprised with the range of things the abdominal muscles do . . .

Lower Abdominals

Let's work from the bottom up - These babies, which include the transverse abdominis and the obliques which feed into them, among other things help to lift your legs and twist the bottom half of your torso.

There are three different kinds of leg raises you can do to train them, the first are dragon flags (and versions thereof), these were a favourite of Bruce Lee and are an absolute killer. Jeff shows you how to perform the 'easy' version and progress on to full on Bruce Lee.

Personal note: I must get back to doing these, they are hard and so very easy to avoid.

As you can see from the video(s) below they are performed by pumping up the legs from a bent position up to about 90 degrees, and then slowly lowering them to just above the ground. This is eccentric, as opposed to concentric, meaning the muscles are lengthening under tension.

Note: I'm being a bit sadistic here! There are easier types of leg raises you can perform, if you're interested just type AthleanX leg raises into the youtube search bar.

Hanging leg raises -

These are killers and they do require strength in your shoulders and biceps, they are not great if you have an existing or perhaps even historical shoulder injury, so be careful with just going and blasting these out.

The key to remember here is to show your a$$ to the opposite wall or mirror that you are facing.

If you go to the gym you may see people performing these whereby they just show their knees or toes to the opposite, this is training the hip flexors and not the abs.

Ideally you want to get your toes to your hands.

If you haven't been to the gym in years, it's best not to try this for a while.

Captain's Chair Leg Raises

These are great because even though they require you to have some strength in your triceps, they are easy on the shoulders and if you do have a dentist chair in your gym or local park you can use the back to support you.

Again as Jeff says, you need to show your a$$, check out the vid for a much better and more detailed explanation and alternatives to using the 'chair'.

Serratus Anterior

I am going to lump in the whole serratus here, and will let Jeff properly explain about the subtle differences between the anterior, posterior and so on...

You can feel the serratus anterior working if you extend your arm in front of you, now push it that bit further by extending your shoulder. If you put your fingers to the side of your pecs while doing this, you'll feel this baby engage.

You can do a push up plus (shown in vid) to train this . . .

Also the serratus muscles are there to prevent rotation and there are a number of ways you can train this from hanging rotation, whereby the arms are pushed as far away from the body as you can handle (which won't be very far at first) and moved in a variety of ways, under tension of course.

Watch these vids for some great ideas to train for rotation prevention. What I like about these is because most people don't train this way, you will see really fast results in your strength and the visibility and size of these muscles, especially if you have good, low sugar/low fat dietary habits.

Upper Abdominals

These are your crunchers and help you do sit ups, however they can also be trained by doing 'top-down' pulls, which you will need a cable machine at the gym for.

Essentially you will be kneeling down and grabbing the handles above your head and flexing your spine in a kind of 'praying' motion.

Total Training

As Jeff says; if you want to look and perform like an athlete, you have to train like an athlete. It is not all about having big impressive muscles that pop out (though that is a welcome side benefit), it is about building strength across the entire range of movement.

This will ultimately lead you to being healthier and creating a core strength that will support your back and just make you feel a thousand times better than you do now.

The great thing about your abs, is most of these exercises do not require a gym, you can train every single part of them without any (or at least very basic) equipment whatsoever.

Bonus vids:

Top Tip! - Choose one video to watch and then concentrate on that for a few days to a week. Master the movements and then move onto the next, otherwise you'll get information overload.

Remember you can't strengthen those abs just by watching these videos! :)

Note: I wanted to add more vids but am restricted to 5 per post, if you click on any of these they should lead you to my public playlist.

Now get on that fastlane to fitness!

Nomadic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jan 16, 2016
Great to see Jeff making his way onto other forums and the word spreading about him. The guy has been giving away gold for years and it's finally paying off for him. He'll go down as a legend before it's over, I'm sure of it. Thanks for the valuable share.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
B is for Back

This one is a biggie and I'm putting it here even though it has nothing to do with Jeff and AthleanX, I may even give it its own post seeing as this thread is not that popular.

AthleanX does have lots of great back advice but none of it is as good as the advice you will receive in the acclaimed book, 8 Steps To A Healthy Back

I'm assuming that most of the entrepreneurs on TMFF spend most of their days sitting down, even if you're super active and go to the gym everyday, combined with regular walks, chances are you spend the rest of the time sitting at a computer or similar.

Therefore Esther Gokhale's book is a must have, I have had this book for a while now and it has transformed my posture, changed the shape of my spine and increased my flexibility.

Lower Back Pain

Esther Gokhale noticed that while lower back pain was prevalent in the western world, it was almost non existence in cultures whereby they spent most of their days completely bent over (think tea pickers in Sri Lanka).

She then noticed that the shape of the spine as depicted in Victorian medical journals differed to the shape depicted in modern text books. Namely that the Victorian spine was more of a 'J' shape than an 'S'. Gokhale also noticed that all children are born with a 'J' shape and that the 'S' shape happens after the first few years of life, but only in cultures whereby sitting down for most of the day is the norm.

In other words children's spines changed because of learned bad habits.

She set about learning how to reverse this trend...

Her book has been hailed by medical professionals all over the world as one of the most important postural books ever written, and has saved tens of thousands of hours of unnecessary back surgery.

The book contains 'exercises' which I put in quotations because really they are just postural-behaviour techniques which end up becoming part of your life. From stretch sitting to glide walking, follow along at your leisure, I assure you that even if you only do the stretch sitting you will notice a huge improvement in your posture and general wellbeing.

I personally wasn't getting any pain, however I am of the mind that prevention is better than cure. Plus I discovered that the reason we lose height as we age is due to spinal compression, I had lost about a quarter inch, which I have now regained; so win, win!

This is the video that turned me onto to her.

And a word from the lady herself.

Please buy this relatively inexpensive book, because your back is definitely worth it!

Remember 8 Steps To A Healthy Back because what's the point of making all that money if you can't move around and enjoy it?! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.