The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Facebook is a Joke (And various social media/smartphone insanity)

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
You guys have to understand, the reason why any social media is doing so great, is because it is catering to the massive insecurities of this young generation. They were thrust into a economy that is everything but friendly to them, lack the adequate education to face life's hardships, many of them have boomer parents that were lifetime sidewalkers. The only thing that can find comfort on that isn't super expensive is the ever expanding internet, and social media enables this generation of young kids to satisfy their vanity without actually work for it with other people. Work in IT my manager has warned me not to ever work for a social media company because it is all but a fad.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Video sponsored by Pizza Hut ... hmmmm....

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Holy shit my sister is in peril, what do I do? Assist? Tourniquet? Stop the bleeding? No, I livestream.

(Don't watch the video)
Shocking Video: Teen Livestreams Sister's Death In Horrific Car Crash

Oh, and here's another one... this is the account for a girl who recently died, obviously too young and under some tragic circumstances. But yea, THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE!! Maybe the dead girl will appreciate more likes and followers?

WTF is wrong with these social media idiots?

sad.jpg

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen

Crisdamien

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 30, 2018
Miami, FL
Saw this on Quora and had to post it...

main-qimg-1d1038fc48b82981399bcbbd698b92ad-c

I did this once when I was in Japan. I was a wanna be travel vlogger... on day two I realized I was looking at Japan through the lens and screen of my phone.. instead of looking around. i promptly stopped, F*ck peoples LIKES and empty approval and awe.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
The best thing I ever did was quitting facebook.

I'm happier and I have longer attention span.

Madeline isn't talking about being friends with family/real friends on facebook for business purposes. She is talking about using it for business. There is night and day difference.

Not 1 of my facebook friends is a family member (mine or my wife) and not 1 is a friend I knew before I got my facebook account. Mine are truly facebook friends. I use it for business and business ONLY. When facebook got popular, my wife's family couldn't believe that I wouldn't friend them. lmao My family on the other hand knows I'm not friended with them in the real world so they never expected me to be facebook friends. Funny thing, my wife is facebook friends with my family, my ex-wife, my ex-wife's family...... :eek:

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
What do you recommend I do if I want to quit Facebook but parts of my business rely on it?

I run FB Ads/Content for companies on Facebook.

tenor.gif

DonTriumph

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Jan 4, 2019
Philippines
I fear for young folks who use Facebook / Instagram / et. al. as a gauge to compare their lives to others. Expectation and comparison is path to perpetual misery. If I spend one hour on Facebook, even I would end up feeling inadequate, not fit enough, not well-traveled enough, not successful enough, and not liked enough, blah blah.

I remember GaryVee's advice to a young woman, it goes something like this: the time you spend looking at other people's "success" could be the time used to build your own success.

I'm also guilty of this from time to time, so I remind myself of that advice.

Regarding social media: My problem with social media is distraction.

It's easy to think, "Okay I'll just check for a moment. Let's see what friend X has posted." After 30 minutes, you find yourself mindlessly browsing the News Feed/Wall/Status/Post.

I still struggle with this, but not as distracted as before. Now, I also just use social media for business/advertising purposes. Other than that, I stay away.

Felix Nachem

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 5, 2022
Switzerland
Thats a very important topic.
Quitting Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook was the best thing that happened to me.
the benefits i've had since quitting(it's now 2 years without):
  • You have better social skills in the real world.
  • You are more focused and can concentrate in the things that matter.
  • You have more joy of the little things(like your morning coffee) in your day to day life.
  • You are just happier

Some people are talking about minimalism, but they just referring to materialistic things.
We should also be minimalistic with the content we consume.

D

Deleted20833

I never could get email marketing... I am subscribed to nothing myself and the last thing I want is someone to email me anything. If I need something I will go to google and search for it myself. Heck there isnt anything I want anyone to ever email me.

I know for a fact it works as thats what all the top gurus do but for the life of me I honestly dont even know anyone that would want to be bothered with yet another email from anyone.

Something I try doing is not project my purchasing behavior on
other people

What I look at is what's working and what's not

I don't care why it works...I just care how & if I can make it work for my business

D

DeletedUser394

Holy shit, thank you for bumping this. This is a quality bump.

I see myself in a lot of this bs. The validation seeking, the 'oh I should do xyz so I can post it on facebook.'

I'm also sick and tired of the constant updates from people (surprisingly some fastlaners feel the need to post nonstop about their location, or what they're eating, if they're working out, every couple of hours, etc).

No matter how awesome my day has been, I get on there and see that 'friend' xyz had a date with a model, or bought a new lambo, etc.

It's all a load of crap.

Need a long hiatus from it:

'Your account has been deactivated
To reactivate your account, log in using your old login email and password. You will be able to use the site like you used to.
We hope you come back soon.'

Nah, f off.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
All of the above, plus disturbing that it's now normal to effectively walk about with a hand mirror marvelling at your reflection.

What a weird photo album that would be...

"Here's us at a baseball game. We had blonde hair then."

"Here's us at the Grand Canyon. We were trying some new lipstick."

"Here's us at the Niagra Falls. We had a great facial a few days before."

Strange and disturbing what we're doing to ourselves as a species.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Destroying property?

Or public service?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Curious why you’d start with YouTube and IG and not include Facebook in that.

I would include FB in that, probably FB groups. But YT probably would be my starting point.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Saw this on Quora and had to post it...

main-qimg-1d1038fc48b82981399bcbbd698b92ad-c
lol, I still can't figure out the fascination of selfies and having a million snap shots of one's self.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Are Facebook "Groups" of value?

Yes. Not all are, you need to filter out the crappy ones. You can make a lot of useful contacts there who can help you go further in your business. I use them as an extra add-on to this forum.

I'm talking about product research/validation and customer development. I'm an engineer, trained now as a health coach, just seeking practice clients (for free!) for one of my startups.

There are some FB groups that come with marketplaces (not all), where you can hawk your services there.

Why not try Instagram? Engagement there is generally a lot higher than FB.
If you're a health coach, you can try looking into the Fitness and/or Healthy Lifestyle niches there.
Probably do a (bi)-weekly paid video / IG Story shout-out on those repost accounts to offer your free services, I'm sure response will be decent.

Soliciting is generally a no-no in groups, but why not take the risk of being booted out

Don't solicit on FB Groups. If you get kicked out, you'll have burned the bridges and won't be able to make contacts there. I'm a member of a couple of Instagram and Wordpress hosting groups there. It feels very personal because you can check out their FB accounts and they're all real people.

Best thing is, things happen fast and you get to know what's hot up-and-coming, and use all these to your advantage (especially if it's an industry-specific group). Stalk the group, read their convos, get a "feel" of the ground.

Social media is not a joke. I still believe it's one of the best way nowadays to get the word out there.
The folks denouncing FB/IG are those who have not seen any success with it.

I mean, imagine if you've 250,000 real followers on IG with each post averaging 11,560 Likes and 2,800 Comments. Now, social media would suddenly feel fun again, doesn't it? LOL

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Apr 4, 2016
Notable mention should go to Reddit. I spent the last couple of hours debating with someone on there, wasting my time and mental energy. Realized I was getting angry over a nobody while I should have been using that time to focus on my business goals and learning things that would actually put me in a better mental place.

I just deleted the Reddit App and will only go spend time on productive forums like this one where I might actually learn something.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How do you guys deal with your girlfriends?

I have quit most of my social media (except messengers). I spoke to my girlfriend about the reasons and she gets it. But she is still checking Instagram and Facebook news feed every day. To be honest, I think it's almost impossible to meet women nowadays who are not using social media daily. But it feels like, I'm a guy who quit smoking and have a partner who supports me but keeps smoking in front of me every day. Other than that she is a keeper.

Just curious how other guys here are dealing with that in relationships.

I wouldn't worry about it, but I would have some agreed upon guidelines, no smartphones at dinner, while at a movie, while sharing some experience, etc.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like some in Gen-Z are getting it, and understanding that their attention shouldn't be a monetized commodity.

Great to hear this, self-awareness as a teen is great asset.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes, I totally agree. I really don't hang out much on any social media site because any group online or offline becomes your mentality. That's why I'm having this issue about being on them to promote things. :( I feel sorry for the teens that get bullied and that have died over social media and Face book. :(

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
I agree with you MJ with the comparison side. When I started this project of mine I got off. I found it to be a huge waste of time and kills productivity. That was enough for me.

I sometimes think about getting back on when I'm off the ambulance and get my business moving along. Why? Spite. And that's more than enough to stay off altogether. I find minimal to no actual use for Facebook personally or professionally now.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I did a bookmark bar makeover a few weeks back, and removed every social media related site. I now only use facebook for Facebook Messenger. If someone REALLY has to contact me, they'll do it via the messenger, or just text me.

I've kept youtube though as I use it for coding tutorials along with lamborghini inspiration every now and then. As long as there is a productive purpose.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
New idea for a website.. a Private idea facebook which works similar to WhatsApp linking use up between phones, emails, web updates twitter etc.
The niche ; you are only allowed 25 friends.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.