The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Facebook is a Joke (And various social media/smartphone insanity)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The only reason I still use Facebook is to reach my audience. Otherwise, I wouldn't be on there.

Of course, it's a great advertising medium to reach millions. Another reason why I'm still there.

Other than that, I don't post much.

This pretty much sums up why -- it's one big carefully curated facade.

I fear for young folks who use Facebook / Instagram / et. al. as a gauge to compare their lives to others. Expectation and comparison is path to perpetual misery. If I spend one hour on Facebook, even I would end up feeling inadequate, not fit enough, not well-traveled enough, not successful enough, and not liked enough, blah blah.

Whats sad is that I am actually hearing that youngsters are making decisions based upon how certain activities will look when posted to social media. They're more concerned with having people *think* they're having fun than actually having it.

Be aware people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
This is why I go directly to /ads/manage/ . And maybe once or twice a week to checkout what competitors are doing with their ads.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Facebook also really opened Cyber-bullying. Girl from my school 2 years ago commit suicide due to it.

Her name was Grace McComas.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes, I totally agree. I really don't hang out much on any social media site because any group online or offline becomes your mentality. That's why I'm having this issue about being on them to promote things. :( I feel sorry for the teens that get bullied and that have died over social media and Face book. :(

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
It's a good way to keep in contact with old friends. It's also a great way to be involved in the lives of those you can't see very often. I'm only friends with those I'm very close to though.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
I agree with you MJ with the comparison side. When I started this project of mine I got off. I found it to be a huge waste of time and kills productivity. That was enough for me.

I sometimes think about getting back on when I'm off the ambulance and get my business moving along. Why? Spite. And that's more than enough to stay off altogether. I find minimal to no actual use for Facebook personally or professionally now.

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
Social proof is very powerful.

I remember reading this book on being a "player" and it talked about going into a room and getting social proof as quickly as possible, even if it meant speaking to someone you weren't too fond of.

People want to be liked, loved, approved, and want to feel better.

That's all I see when I see people post tons of shit about this and that. LOL. You can see that it is attention whoring.

In a subtle way, me having a facebook account lends me into seeking approval:

For example: It's a let down when I see a red notification and its someone asking me to play a game with them. I'd much rather you like my status.

Or, repeatedly logging in hope for notifications.

Last edited:

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
A few months back I stopped reading my news feed entirely. I use it only to get in contact with certain people, or check notifications. The only other time I use it would be for promotional/advertising purposes.

Reading the negative thoughts and comments of those I care about was affecting my own well being. People use facebook to gain sympathy from everyone else who supposedly "hates life". I don't need to be part of the whole "life sucks" movement. I no longer associate with people who think the store running out of their favorite ice cream flavor is a facebook worthy life crisis with several angry emoticons.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
Never had a real Facebook account and never will. I keep in touch with old friends through email, phone and real meetups.

I made an account just so I could manage a few pages and do some advertising but other than that, there is no benefit in it for me either.

Apart from the other great reasons already mentioned, it's also a huge waste of time. You could be doing so much more during that time instead of looking at pictures of people who you don't care about. I'd say if you want to use it, limit your time on it to 10 minutes a day. If 10 minutes is not enough, then you probably have too many "friends" on it.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I did a bookmark bar makeover a few weeks back, and removed every social media related site. I now only use facebook for Facebook Messenger. If someone REALLY has to contact me, they'll do it via the messenger, or just text me.

I've kept youtube though as I use it for coding tutorials along with lamborghini inspiration every now and then. As long as there is a productive purpose.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Not had facebook for over 2 years.
I couldnt stand to see people post constant selfies, tell the world what they where getting up too and when their kid last farted. It has become a farce people do it for self appraisal to give across this near perfect lifestyle when in fact its quite the opposite.

If I spend one hour on Facebook, even I would end up feeling inadequate, not fit enough, not well-traveled enough, not successful enough, and not liked enough, blah blah.
Exactly this. I see people constantly traveling , gym, clubbing etc.
This may come across as jealous but its far from it,
Ive chosen not to follow the crowd anymore, I don't need approval off anyone about my life. Business yes in terms of advice and where to progress but not about what outfit im wearing, what night club im attending or what car I'm driving.
Narcissistic place is Facebook. I like Twitter and Instagram only because the people I follow a few entrepreneurs on it giving a insight to their life is motivating.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Shoot I love Facebook, it's the only place I can impose pictures of my son on people all day every day and not feel bad about it.

No joke. I love that kid though.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Wow. That video was F*cking great. For YEARS I have tried to explain why I don't use Facebook. And that video sums it all up better than I could ever put into words. That's it.

No log-ins in a year (lost someone's phone #.)
No profile picture changes in 3 years.
No status updates in 5 years.

F*ck Facebook. The only way I can ever see myself using it again is making a new account and adding 10-20 friends. That aunt from across the country. My close friend that no longer lives 5 minutes away. If only there was a portable phone that allowed me to contact those people at any time throughout the day.

I realize there are legitimate uses for Facebook. But this whole internet popularity contest is disgusting and turns me off of the website as a whole.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
New idea for a website.. a Private idea facebook which works similar to WhatsApp linking use up between phones, emails, web updates twitter etc.
The niche ; you are only allowed 25 friends.

raynoldcj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 13, 2013
North Borneo
For affiliate marketers and MLMers, Facebook is a great way to reach out to millions of potential customers.
There are also many 'online store" on Facebook and the owners make tons of money there. Internet marketers
are also using Facebook as a tool to brand themselves, and attract many followers.
Other than that, I think Facebook is just a time-waster :)

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
On a completely unrelated note. MJ's current avatar is awesome.
The Great Gatsby one of my favourite movies. Di Caprio played that part perfectly.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I can't see him now without thinking of The Wolf Of Wall Street.
Sorry to be offtopic.
Yeah the Wolf of Wall Street was good but I preffer the elegance and storyline of Gatsby.
He done everything possible to get Daisy set up what he thought was her ideal home , ideal life made all the money he could ever want. He essentially didn't even do it for himself he done it for the love of her.. But he could never have got her full love.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
Sorry to be offtopic.
Yeah the Wolf of Wall Street was good but I preffer the elegance and storyline of Gatsby.
He done everything possible to get Daisy set up what he thought was her ideal home , ideal life made all the money he could ever want. He essentially didn't even do it for himself he done it for the love of her.. But he could never have got her full love.

Nice summary, damn, almost shed a tear. Love that movie.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I completely agree with MJ on every single point above. It is the world's largest phony fest. I stopped posting over a year ago. I like people's stuff every once in a while, but I'm literally on Facebook maybe 2-3 times per month.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I block all the bs. I don't have "fake" people on there, you know the ones who post only perfection. for me its about the "social aspect" as in to communicate not to compare... I don't compare myself to others in life. being on fb isn't going to change that :p everyone on my friends list does real. cause negativity or drama and your out... :D

I have forex trading friends from all over the world. I watch their posts and we discuss related things. I have personal friends that live 12+ hours away from me and family that I get to keep up with and see updates about. people I went to school with etc... I have tons of science, health, news,(main stream and local) parenting, homeschool groups, autism support and many other awesome pages that I see posts from. I post updates about my kids (for family) and I even complain (gasp) its my social hall. as someone who doesn't go hang out at the bar or watch sports or play poker or golf fb is my downtime. its enjoyable. I don't have a bunch of bullshit that aggravates me its my happy place :)

its not the tool its how you use it.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I have Facebook to update people on the books I write and businesses I start--where I need an audience. And Life Wisdom.

I occasionally deactivate. It's too much fun WITHOUT FB. I don't ever read newsfeed. I have my own life to think of.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I use it for what it is - a simple way to keep informed and idly communicate with those I may otherwise rarely ever call or get to visit. And of course to advertise and such for business purposes.

And I absolutely click the "hide all from" button at the drop of a hat. I can only take so many posts fishing for likes and comments (aka "vaguebooking") before I just never want to see a post from them again.

It seems like facebook use is going down across the board though. This time 2 years ago my facebook account was exploding with every detail of everyone's lives. These days I may not see a single personal update from a friend or family member for days (and I only personally post a small handful of times a year, if that).

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Not too long ago there was this chick on my newsfeed talking about how she's pregnant again. Later she was posting about a tough "decision" she has to make. Then she posted about how she made the "decision" and feels good. I'm sure you guys know what that decision was.

Sloots love them some Facebook.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.