The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When your family dosen't support your dreams.

Anything related to matters of the mind

On_Road

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
700%
Aug 31, 2016
The story

Hello, I am a 16-year-old with a dream of becoming an entrepreneur. I recently got this ambition when I stumbled upon the two books “The Richest Man In Babylon” and “The Millionaire Fastlane ” on a random business forum. This was two weeks ago. So while it is still a very recent discovery I have been committed to learning ever since. I also got the impression that it’s never too early to start.

After reading the two books I felt inspired (especially from The Millionaire Fastlane ) and I joined the forums to see what all the jazz was about. From there I found more books which I could I read and more motivation for my journey. I found and read “The lazy man’s way to riches” and I am currently half-way through “What Rich People Know & Desperately Want to Keep a Secret”

The Issue

During this weekend, I shared some of the knowledge I had gained from the books with my family. Techniques and information like “Saving a 10th of your income” “Why 9-5 Jobs won’t make you rich” “Marketing techniques and why most businesses go wrong”.

They listened and they seemed interested enough. I judged by their reactions and deemed that it would be okay to share my dream and vision to become an entrepreneur. How I wanted to gain the economic freedom to avoid becoming a wage slave.

They were not impressed. They explained how it’s only a very small number of people who become rich and how you can’t train yourself to become an entrepreneur in such a young age and you can wait with that dream after university. How life isn’t about money (It isn’t, but without economic freedom why live?)

They suddenly became annoyed with me and dismissed the whole project with “What do you even mean by becoming an entrepreneur” and they were not accepting any answer.

The Question

How do I deal with the fact that my family can’t see the same vision as myself? I am aware that I should not be paying attention to dream-killers, but it’s still hurtful to know that your parents only see your planning and dreams as “just a faze”

Thanks for reading, I’m sorry if this question is in the wrong section or if it has been answered before, I just need to get my story out there because it’s a heavy burden to have alone.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Show them by doing not just talking about it. And by doing, I mean more than just reading books and looking up theories.

My wife was extremely skeptical when I started my business. But after she watched me stay up late at nights, work non stop on my website, heard me talking on conference calls with my developers, heard the sales pitches, seeing me read every page of our Terms and Conditions and Terms of Service for loopholes, she realized I was serious about this.

You can talk about it all day, but show them you're serious. Start a small hustle, make some money. You're in highschool, sell candy and chips to kids during class, make some cool t-shirts, sell those. There are 100's of ways to sell stuff to your classmates. Best part is, you'll show your parents you're serious, and you'll have money to fund a true business.

Good luck man!

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
They explained how it’s only a very small number of people who become rich and how you can’t train yourself to become an entrepreneur in such a young age and you can wait with that dream after university.

I'm sure they just don't want to see you disappointed if you fail but I'm telling you its WAY easier to do before & during university as opposed to after

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Your dilemma is no different than most of the population. Even if you are successful, people's eyes will glaze over if you try to explain it to them.

In all reality, you have NOTHING to prove to anyone. Once you become self-sufficient, you will not have anyone to answer to. Until then, you will be guided.

But, trying to convince people that the fastlane is the right way is nearly impossible.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Show them by doing not just talking about it. And by doing, I mean more than just reading books and looking up theories.

^^^ This.

Show, don't tell.

"Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
The story

Hello, I am a 16-year-old with a dream of becoming an entrepreneur. I recently got this ambition when I stumbled upon the two books “The Richest Man In Babylon” and “The Millionaire Fastlane ” on a random business forum. This was two weeks ago. So while it is still a very recent discovery I have been committed to learning ever since. I also got the impression that it’s never too early to start.

After reading the two books I felt inspired (especially from The Millionaire Fastlane ) and I joined the forums to see what all the jazz was about. From there I found more books which I could I read and more motivation for my journey. I found and read “The lazy man’s way to riches” and I am currently half-way through “What Rich People Know & Desperately Want to Keep a Secret”

The Issue

During this weekend, I shared some of the knowledge I had gained from the books with my family. Techniques and information like “Saving a 10th of your income” “Why 9-5 Jobs won’t make you rich” “Marketing techniques and why most businesses go wrong”.

They listened and they seemed interested enough. I judged by their reactions and deemed that it would be okay to share my dream and vision to become an entrepreneur. How I wanted to gain the economic freedom to avoid becoming a wage slave.

They were not impressed. They explained how it’s only a very small number of people who become rich and how you can’t train yourself to become an entrepreneur in such a young age and you can wait with that dream after university. How life isn’t about money (It isn’t, but without economic freedom why live?)

They suddenly became annoyed with me and dismissed the whole project with “What do you even mean by becoming an entrepreneur” and they were not accepting any answer.

The Question

How do I deal with the fact that my family can’t see the same vision as myself? I am aware that I should not be paying attention to dream-killers, but it’s still hurtful to know that your parents only see your planning and dreams as “just a faze”

Thanks for reading, I’m sorry if this question is in the wrong section or if it has been answered before, I just need to get my story out there because it’s a heavy burden to have alone.

Look forward twenty years into the future.

Option 1 - You try to convince your family about the right way for entrepreneurship, and you listen to them and don't take the actions you need to take in order to build a business.

Where does this option lead you in 20 years?

What won't happen if you don't choose to blaze your own path?

Option 2 - you put all your focus and actions into building a business, failing, learning, and trying again. Not wasting your energy on convincing others.

Imagine it's 20 years from now for option 1 - looking back in time, what message would you give a past version of yourself who faced this problem?

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Even if you show them what you're doing and you show them you're making progress they will still come up with more excuses as to why you can't do it. At least, that's how it is for me. You just need to ignore them and stay in control of your emotions.

Normally I just stay away from them, but if I happen to spend "quality time" with them and their friends are around, they somehow find a way to try and mock me with things like "He thinks he's going to get rich, he's not going to make any money, etc, etc". So do I spend "quality time" with them? Not so much.

You will really start to see peoples true colours, especially early on. What they're really saying is "don't leave, stay down here with the rest of us"... because if you do succeed then you will prove their entire life and excuses are just a lie.

I was in your same situation when I first found TMF , except I was around 17/18. I ended up going to uni for a year. While I was in uni I followed SinisterLex' thread on Upwork and started grinding whenever I got back to my dorm room from class.

After the year ended I decided I wasn't going back (this was at the beginning of summer), and then I became a PPC manager for a few clients just this summer(without any prior experience). Now I have a steady stream of money. It's slowlane still, but now I have free time to work on a Fastlane venture from my house. And I just turned 20 a few days ago.

The only thing that's bogging me down is having to deal with my family members when they walk into my room yelling and screaming throwing newspapers on my desk telling me to "Get a real job". That's probably what you're going to have to deal with as well. You will get used to it quickly.

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.
One of my favorite quotes:

‘You got a dream? Protect it!” (Will Smith movie)

So simple, and so true.

IMO, “People” in general are dream killers.

Some people do it to “hate”

Some people do it because they truly don’t believe it’s possible

Others do it because they tried one time and failed, so in their mind, why could you?

My guess is, your family does it because their worried about “you”.

They are not doing it to hurt your feelings, or destroy your dreams.

Their doing it because that’s “what they know”.

Go to school, get good grades, get good job.

Any other path, NO CHANCE. Not in this lifetime.

But that’s ok bud, their just being normal parents. Their job is to guide you down the right path, they just unfortunately aren’t familiar with the entrepreneurial path.

It’s going to be tough not having them in your corner during the starting phase of entrepreneurship, but that’s what becoming an entrepreneur is all about. It’s about doing or dealing with all those hard things that get in front of us.

My advice, get use to nearly every person you meet not accepting, understanding or believing in your dreams. It sounds harsh, but it’s reality. The sooner you can move past getting upset, sad, or angry about “people” family, friends, and strangers not accepting your dreams. The better off you will be my friend.

Be patient, be positive, put in the work, and best of luck to the pursuit of your dreams.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Welcome to life as an entrepreneur, you just got lesson #1: you're entering a fraction of the population that chooses to go against the norm and be a producer.

Most people wont get it and will secretly, or even openly hope you fail. Just do your thing and study the ones that are achieving what you want to do.

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
The story

How do I deal with the fact that my family can’t see the same vision as myself?

Are your parents rich entrepreneurs?

Don't let other people effect your decision making and opinions. It's a bitter way to live but they aren't going to help you get rich.

It's impressive that you've asked this question at your age. You're going to go far; keep reading and challenging yourself.

Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
i dealt with the same; i just kept on pressing on. they wanted me to solidify a job working for some fortune 500 company and i did initially now i just do my own thing. its all about you. control or be controlled. its that simple. screw their feelings. you are the conqueror of your domain.

salam01

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 5, 2016
ur parents want what's good for u not what's is best!

You'll be tested "mark my words" by pple parents even ur business will test u!

show don't tell,
tension is ur friend [HASHTAG]#lol[/HASHTAG]

Sent from my TECNO-N8 using Tapatalk

Nekoemon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 18, 2016
Over the rainbow
My wife was extremely skeptical when I started my business. But after she watched me stay up late at nights, work non stop on my website, heard me talking on conference calls with my developers, heard the sales pitches, seeing me read every page of our Terms and Conditions and Terms of Service for loopholes, she realized I was serious about this.
And that's in the best of the cases. Some will never (want to) realise. The more successful you'll be, the more reasons they will try to find to "prove" you wrong.
Be prepared to deal with that. If you fail they'll boast "Ah see I told you", if you succeed they will say "yes but you're lucky" or "yes but after all that's not so good" or they will create fake reasons. Just just go your way and be smart to only listen to critics that can improve you.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Be prepared to deal with that. If you fail they'll boast "Ah see I told you", if you succeed they will say "yes but you're lucky" or "yes but after all that's not so good" or they will create fake reasons.

@On_Road Watch this video. Take it to heart, emulate this everyday.

michalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 27, 2015
you know how they say "we are all ignorant just on different subjects". I'm sure that you parents love you & giving you their love. I think that you should ask people in scope of their expertise like let's say is better to talk about sickness with doctors & about law with lawyers. It's just stupid to do other way around. If you parents are not entrepreneur - and I suspect they aren't - it's not their expertise area. It's just waste of your and their time to talk about things they have no idea & I'm quite sure that there is field that they have a lot of expertise - why not talking with them about this other fields? Make it your rule - talk with everyone because everybody has some expertise area but first find out their expertise and talk about this - otherwise it's waste of your time.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
you know how they say "we are all ignorant just on different subjects". I'm sure that you parents love you & giving you their love. I think that you should ask people in scope of their expertise like let's say is better to talk about sickness with doctors & about law with lawyers. It's just stupid to do other way around. If you parents are not entrepreneur - and I suspect they aren't - it's not their expertise area. It's just waste of your and their time to talk about things they have no idea & I'm quite sure that there is field that they have a lot of expertise - why not talking with them about this other fields? Make it your rule - talk with everyone because everybody has some expertise area but first find out their expertise and talk about this - otherwise it's waste of your time.
good point sir

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.