The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What skills should I learn in 2024 ?

Idea threads

Mtaz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 17, 2024
Hello, I am 17 years old and I want to start a business in the next 3-4 years. Since I currently dont have the capital and I go to college, I cannot start a business. Therefore, I want to learn a skill or two that will help me in the future. I would really be delighted if you can suggest some skills to learn that will help me in the future. I thought of learning coding but unfortunately I dont have a good device that supports the coding apps and etc. So please suggest me some skills to learn!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

se81renade

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 8, 2024
Hello, I am 17 years old and I want to start a business in the next 3-4 years. Since I currently dont have the capital and I go to college, I cannot start a business. Therefore, I want to learn a skill or two that will help me in the future. I would really be delighted if you can suggest some skills to learn that will help me in the future. I thought of learning coding but unfortunately I dont have a good device that supports the coding apps and etc. So please suggest me some skills to learn!
understanding financial basics, knowing how to market and sell a product, and being able to communicate

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Copywriting?

What do you think @Kak ?

C.Craigie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 25, 2024
learn that reading is absolutely crucial to success, you read to earn a degree and pay thousands for the pleasure, so you don't need college. Try and set aside time to read books of value and in what you want become knowledgeable on, your product or business will only be as good or strong as your own knowledge. Do this at 17 and your already ahead of the curve, good luck!

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Sales and marketing

Learn to sell

As someone who's wasted a lot of time reading, I feel like this advice needs to be taken a step further:

Reading about sales and marketing will do you nothing

Selling and marketing through trial and error will get you knowledge you can't be trained for

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
As someone who's wasted a lot of time reading, I feel like this advice needs to be taken a step further:

Selling and marketing through trial and error will get you knowledge you can't be trained for
3 months of D2D sales & 3 months of B2B Telesales is probably a great way to learn sales while making money along the way.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
3 months of D2D sales & 3 months of B2B Telesales is probably a great way to learn sales while making money along the way.
that's too hard, i rather read 100m offers all day and spend the rest of my time feel euphoric about how i'll "eventually" use the information

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024

Yeah definitely, I was too lazy write in my comment that the post creator's intention to learn a skill doesn't work.
You have to practice a skill.

@Mtaz Start a business now that you'll be able to do in your free time from college. Only way to learn sales and marketing. Carpet cleaning, gutter cleaning, window washing, power washing, car detailing...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Selling your skills for money is not scalable. It’s limited by time.

Real entrepreneurship demands scale where your time is not related directly to your income.

The best skills that support the goal of scale (actual entrepreneurship) are communication, operations, leadership, sales, and capitalization.

Last edited:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Selling skills is not scalable. It’s limited by time.

Real entrepreneurship demands scale where your time is not related directly to your income.

The best skills that support the goal of scale are communication, operations, leadership, sales and capitalization.
delete

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
But don't sales skills improve your communication skills? Also, I think that a good salesperson has an easier time becoming a good leader than someone with zero sales skills. And sales skills are useful for HR and raising money as well.

Also, in sales jobs (which are a good way to learn sales and save up some capital), it's not hard to get into a position where you can build up or manage a sales team which exposes you to leadership experience.
You misread my comment.

“Selling skills” as in selling your skills for money, not sales skills. I later list sales as a good skill.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The best skills that support the goal of scale (actual entrepreneurship) are communication, operations, leadership, sales, and capitalization
Apart from sales, these are all very vague.

Like let’s say I want to practice communication. How do I do that?

Or I want to practice leadership. How?

Imo these are not really skills.

Skills could be having vision — knowing what to do, what opportunities to go for.

Or emotional control — being able to keep your cool and think rationally in messy situation (which a good leader does).

But “leadership” by itself isn’t a skill. And definitely cannot be “practiced”. It’s an amalgam formed from an amorphous compound of different skills.

Same for operations. How do I practice operations?! LOL

Coordination, (which is part of operations), likewise isn’t a skill. You need to look for those skills which actually make “coordination” possible. Like listening to the other party and so on.

Sales is the closest from the bunch to a real skill, because we can define it as motivating someone to give you money in exchange for X.

But even then, it’s messy AF. Like, what if I want to sell you a piece of dirt from the ground. Am I a “bad” salesperson if I fail? Am I failing because I haven’t yet figured out good “sales skills”?

All this stuff trips people up. Certainly tripped me up for a long time. It causes you to misunderstand what really leads to success.

Great sales “skills” don’t lead to success if your product is shitty. If you’re not solving problems. And so on.

As a beginner, if I read “sales is da skill to learn” my next thought is “F*ck everything else, let me just sell anything and crush it with this skill”.

And of course, it doesn’t work like that.

Same with something like “marketing”. I love “learn marketing”. Ok bro, like how?!

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024

The best skills that support the goal of scale (actual entrepreneurship) are communication, operations, leadership, sales, and capitalization.

How do you learn all of these things without first selling your skills?

An engineer, marketer or architect that wants to grow a large firm can't just start being a "real entrepreneur" and disconnect his time from money. He sells his skills and learns the things you mentioned along the way. And if he can't sell his skills then he can't learn these things.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Keep in mind that you learn when you do, not when you read. I would read 5-10 books on one topic at a time, and then do what is taught so you can truly learn the skills for your future self. If all you do is read, I promise that you will regret it later.

Networking, people skills, sales, marketing (advertising, copywriting, content creation, social media), and how to utilize AI.

Man, I wish I was 17 again.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
As many said before, but I would be more specific, face to face interaction/communication/sales will be a valuable skill in the future as the new generations of digital natives are completely losing that ability.

Knowing how to use AI apps is important too. Many are free.

Search engines existed in the late 90s but it is only like early 2010 most people start to pick up the habit of googling everything for an answer.

This means you have minimum 5-7 years advantage over the average joe.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Apart from sales, these are all very vague.

Like let’s say I want to practice communication. How do I do that?

Or I want to practice leadership. How?

Imo these are not really skills.

Skills could be having vision — knowing what to do, what opportunities to go for.

Or emotional control — being able to keep your cool and think rationally in messy situation (which a good leader does).

But “leadership” by itself isn’t a skill. And definitely cannot be “practiced”. It’s an amalgam formed from an amorphous compound of different skills.

Same for operations. How do I practice operations?! LOL

Coordination, (which is part of operations), likewise isn’t a skill. You need to look for those skills which actually make “coordination” possible. Like listening to the other party and so on.

Sales is the closest from the bunch to a real skill, because we can define it as motivating someone to give you money in exchange for X.

But even then, it’s messy AF. Like, what if I want to sell you a piece of dirt from the ground. Am I a “bad” salesperson if I fail? Am I failing because I haven’t yet figured out good “sales skills”?

All this stuff trips people up. Certainly tripped me up for a long time. It causes you to misunderstand what really leads to success.

Great sales “skills” don’t lead to success if your product is shitty. If you’re not solving problems. And so on.

As a beginner, if I read “sales is da skill to learn” my next thought is “F*ck everything else, let me just sell anything and crush it with this skill”.

And of course, it doesn’t work like that.

Same with something like “marketing”. I love “learn marketing”. Ok bro, like how?!
Op is going to school. This is a place where he can pick up leadership skills by being leaders in club and societies.

I remembered in MJ’s profile he was the chairman/president of college entrepreneurship clubs.

Good leadership is like a rising through the rank to be mafia boss, you need find 1) a hustle that can help your men feed their families, 2)be first to taste the bad $hit and the last to reap any reward.

In organization such as schools and army you don’t have to worry about (1) too much.

Leadership is more like a character that is lacking today in many organizations filled with professional managers rather than real leaders.

Professional managers don’t have any long term stake in the community. Do some short term stunts, pump up the stats, seek for a pay rise and jump 4-5 years later. I see this as too prevalent today in business and politics that is causing civilizational decay.

If I want to learn leadership I will intern in multi-generational family owned businesses that have a bunch of staffs who worked for them more than 15-20 years.

On sales, I agree that the best way to learn selling is to sell something.

This means that you need to get involved in a business where the sales is just one part of the process.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How do you learn all of these things without first selling your skills?

An engineer, marketer or architect that wants to grow a large firm can't just start being a "real entrepreneur" and disconnect his time from money. He sells his skills and learns the things you mentioned along the way. And if he can't sell his skills then he can't learn these things.
You seem pretty sure of yourself. Glad you’re so confident.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Op is going to school. This is a place where he can pick up leadership skills by being leaders in club and societies.

I remembered in MJ’s profile he was the chairman/president of college entrepreneurship clubs.

Good leadership is like a rising through the rank to be mafia boss, you need find 1) a hustle that can help your men feed their families, 2)be first to taste the bad $hit and the last to reap any reward.

In organization such as schools and army you don’t have to worry about (1) too much.

Leadership is more like a character that is lacking today in many organizations filled with professional managers rather than real leaders.

Professional managers don’t have any long term stake in the community. Do some short term stunts, pump up the stats, seek for a pay rise and jump 4-5 years later. I see this as too prevalent today in business and politics that is causing civilizational decay.

If I want to learn leadership I will intern in multi-generational family owned businesses that have a bunch of staffs who worked for them more than 15-20 years.

On sales, I agree that the best way to learn selling is to sell something.

This means that you need to get involved in a business where the sales is just one part of the process.
Well, I can only talk about my experience. I was in all the “leadership” positions you can imagine, at the highest levels in school. Student council president, class rep in university, ran the school store, etc.

I wouldn’t say I learned any skills. I came with all my skills ready-made. For example, school store. It was so easy. Immediately when I took over I said “make the salty snacks cheap AF, and the drinks expensive AF” — sales took off. Then I cracked down by working with the administration on students selling shit. Complete monopoly. Then you reward your boys, put them in positions of power, and so on.

Like wtf?! That’s the easy part. As I’ve always said, give me access to the buttons and to power and I will easily dominate. Just a small entry, that’s all that’s needed.

Still, none of this stuff helped in business. Power and influence don’t just fall into your hands, do they? So called “leadership” is formed from skills that allow you to wield power effectively and extend it.

Many politicians for example have MUCH worse leadership skills than I do. Yet they hold all the buttons and I don’t hold any. Why?! Clearly not because of their leadership skills.

That’s only relevant later. Like that skill is relevant now wnd you find yourself at the helm of a team. But not when you’re a brokie with nothing, starting a business. Then that “leadership” BS is useless.

This is actually why I love MJ’s TMF — it explains exactly what you need in those early phases. Identifying and solving problems, and going after the right opportunities. That imo is key — and no amount of leadership helps until you do that.

In order to wield influence and be a leader you need power. Ain’t nobody gonna give power to a brokie.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What's your background? What can you help people with *now* that they'd pay you for? What would you like to be able to help people with?

There's a great podcast I'll link to below where they discuss "Learn a skill, sell the skill, scale the skill". I'd say the way to learn a skill is to do it for people, free or low paid, and that you could "Sell the skill, learn the skill, scale the skill".

No matter. Just don't make it your goal to "learn" in the sense of hitting books and taking courses.

Here's a video that might help you:

And here's that podcast:

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024
You seem pretty sure of yourself. Glad you’re so confident.

I genuinely didn't understand your point and asked you to elaborate, then presented my opinion.
Does that make me arrogant?

Everyone is giving practical advice to progress as an entrepreneur and you're telling a 17 year old to learn "operations" and "capitalization" without elaborating.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I genuinely didn't understand your point and asked you to elaborate, then presented my opinion.
Does that make me arrogant?

Everyone is giving practical advice to progress as an entrepreneur and you're telling a 17 year old to learn "operations" and "capitalization" without elaborating.
You’re right. Learning is soooooper hard.

Members used to be here for entrepreneurship. Not to F*ck around with self employment until they “feel” ready.

Now it is “fact” around here that you “need” a bastard child business/job where you sell your time first to start a business someday (which means never).

Thanks for the input. I hope the op doesn’t listen.

Last edited:

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2024

Maybe it's a stupid question, maybe it's language difference, but I have to ask. By capitalization you mean finding investors and money in general for your business? As in, I want to do something with a business, but I'm going to be in the red short term because of that, so how do I find ways around that?

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024
You’re right. Learning is soooooper hard.

Members used to be here for entrepreneurship. Not to F*ck around with self employment until they “feel” ready.

Now it is “fact” around here that you “need” a bastard child business/job where you sell your time first to start a business someday (which means never).

Thanks for the input. I hope the op doesn’t listen.

Selling your skills is a practical way to learn the skills you mentioned.

Being sarcastic doesn't make you right. You're allowed to actually explain and elaborate instead of acting like you know everything.

What practical advice can you give OP to learn those skills you mentioned? How can he go about acquiring those skills?

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012

I can't say I disagree. I have noticed this too.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Maybe it's a stupid question, maybe it's language difference, but I have to ask. By capitalization you mean finding investors and money in general for your business? As in, I want to do something with a business, but I'm going to be in the red short term because of that, so how do I find ways around that?
Yes, capitalization makes a business bigger than just you and your personal resources immediately. I even define it as getting proper partners that can help you go big faster. You’re better capitalized when you can say yes to bigger business.

Most self employed couldn’t say yes to a million dollars of anything. There’s not enough time or value to sell.

Capitalization deals with that. Big partner with big money selling big orders with a big supply ability.

I view capitalization as resource collection not just investor money.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Selling your skills is a practical way to learn the skills you mentioned.

Being sarcastic doesn't make you right. You're allowed to actually explain and elaborate instead of acting like you know everything.

What practical advice can you give OP to learn those skills you mentioned? How can he go about acquiring those skills?
You sure have a way with people.

I need to add that to my communication playbook. Shit on them first. Argue with them. Expend literally zero effort trying to seek some ways to learn new things on your own. Then later, demand “practical” advice like you are entitled to it. Got it. That’s 2024 nEtwoRking.

I hate to break it to you cupcake, but entrepreneurs don’t need their hand held either.

I’m not the one acting like I know everything. I presented an opinion based on experience. Folks are now free to seek proficiency in those areas or not.

The irony is, your theories suit your mindset and limiting beliefs well.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.