The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Simplicity of it All

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Why do we complicate the process of money? So many of us struggle with how to get started. None of this is rocket science. There are processes from many that have made it which are laid out in DETAIL all over this forum.

We are our own worst enemies sometimes. We see success by others and want it right away. We read of people quitting their jobs and want to quit. Our impatience seems to hinder our ability to think critically.

Age seems to play a large factor. So many want to quit school and/or jobs and just dive right in. Obviously this can be done but most are not successful on the first venture. This is not a problem if you have saved enough money to sustain yourself while you march through your process.

Any of us can make money. All we need is a basic plan that we can follow. If we are not successful the first time, adjust and do it again.

I went the route of real estate for a business. While there are a few here on the forum that go that route, it is not a popular option. This is because this process takes too much patience. In most cases you need to save money (on a JOB). It also takes a lot of experience which takes time. There are plenty of businesses that take the same level of commitment. We don't tend to go this route though. We want instant success.

I have heard the argument about doing what you love vs. doing what will make money. Why can't you just simply love what you do? Life is about experiences. We can look at the fact that we go down an uncomfortable path as a negative if we choose, or we can see it as a learning opportunity.

We have time in our lives. Let's take our time and have fun in the process.

Make your plan. Move yourself ahead. Don't get frustrated if it does not work the first time. Enjoy what you do!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
That's very right.
Why not just love what we do?
This guy loved his job. And his motto was "everyday is holiday" :)

It took me some time to digest that idea.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I was thinking this through the week that how we complicate it for ourselves.
How long have you been in real estate Steveo and was this always the route that you wanted to take?.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
"Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick. Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick."

-Bruce Lee.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
We are our own worst enemies sometimes. We see success by others and want it right away.

Many people want to be MJ...but they don't want to be the MJ that toiled for years taking action and putting 10,000 hours into perfecting his craft.

Many people want to be Bill Gates...but not the Bill Gates that never took a day off from age 20 to 30. It took him 10 years to hit the big leagues.

Many people want to be Warren Buffett ...but not the Warren Buffett who started reading about investing at age 7. He made his first million 25 years after that. 25 YEARS!!!

Most people aren't willing to put in the work and accept the fact that this is a long process(it still beats the 40 year slowlane plan though).

I have heard the argument about doing what you love vs. doing what will make money. Why can't you just simple love what you do?

It is easy to start loving what you do once you get past the desert of desertion, which is where most dreams die. The hard part is developing the warrior mindset that gets you through this phase. If you can make it through that phase of doubt, anxiety, and uncertainty, you eventually make it through the desert and stumble upon the pond of massive drinking water. It's totally worth it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I loved reading this book because I've heard naysayers tell me I've been on the wrong path the last few years and just found this book but totally agree with what he says 100%. Just nice to see I"m headed down the right path even though I've had everyone be negative. I just learned to meditate, focus, and ignore the emotions, feelings, and let go of the thoughts. Just encourages me to keep going. I'm just finishing my first novel, and a prolific writer. Encouraging to find this forum. I have no problem with following MJ, and I was really getting to the same conclusion, just couldn't put my finger on it because I grew up around a community of slow lane people, and most of them have basically told me all the same stuff he's written in his book. Negative naysayers, fault finders, and judges, they sure know how to feed you, but they don't ever teach you to fish. Took a complete stranger to teach me that, and if it wasn't for her, wouldn't be in your forum. This is my objective to become like MJ and move way beyond ordinary and move into extraordinary. :) I guess you can't really move out of slow lane into fast lane unless you have the right coaches and teachers.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is one of the things I did, cut tv out, just studied just about everything I could every day like MJ stated he did. What a 360 degree turn around in your mindset, and you have that right there not concerned about getting anywhere, but video games, facebook, and Tv.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Nowadays folks are worried about that new hot tv series coming out. Or what a best friend just said on facebook. Or rather text on a cellphone.

This is one of the things I did, cut tv out, just studied just about everything I could every day like MJ stated he did. What a 360 degree turn around in your mindset, and you have that right there not concerned about getting anywhere, but video games, facebook, and Tv.

I did the exact same thing. With my mindset flipped, video games, tv, and social media seem so foreign and unreal to me. Like its some sort of sick joke. It literally blows my mind that people use these forms of entertainment every little moment they get from doing real work. From this perspective I feel like I used to be a sheep. I don't judge or think I'm better than anyone, but when I see people on facebook or twitter for 12 hours a day it's completely incomprehensible to me. Why? Why would you spend that much time letting your brain idle like that? Excessive use of social media and entertainment actually made me feel depressed in the past. Now that I've cut myself off, I feel great, it makes me feel like I have no doubt in myself for neither the present nor future.

But back to the topic, you guys are right. It's really simple to make money, but entertainment, social media, and games dismantle and distort people's reward systems. It practically robs them of the ability to create a plan with goals and to follow and achieve them. Its REALLY shocking if you actually think about it.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree I just leave people in their reality. It is their personal choice. I learned to shut-down people three years ago, because their life style choices and advice weren't getting me anywhere. I do have to say they think I'm the crazy one, lol but I've learn and grown in so many ways as a person as well as a writer, that I don't regret not hanging out in bars, or having a social life if it means I will have a pay off. I really choose my friends wisely and who I hang around, because negativity rubs off, and you become who you hang around that is for sure. Not that they're bad people like you said, but their priorities are in a different place. It's all about the choices and where your focus is at. I've had to sacrifice friends because my option was success. Sounds kind of cold, but at the same time, there are just people that will hold you back in life.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Love what you do."

What a great line. It neatly resolves "follow/don't follow your passion"

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
I agree I just leave people in their reality. It is their personal choice. I learned to shut-down people three years ago, because their life style choices and advice weren't getting me anywhere. I do have to say they think I'm the crazy one, lol but I've learn and grown in so many ways as a person as well as a writer, that I don't regret not hanging out in bars, or having a social life if it means I will have a pay off. I really choose my friends wisely and who I hang around, because negativity rubs off, and you become who you hang around that is for sure. Not that they're bad people like you said, but their priorities are in a different place. It's all about the choices and where your focus is at. I've had to sacrifice friends because my option was success. Sounds kind of cold, but at the same time, there are just people that will hold you back in life.

Well said. It seems cold, but unfortunately there is absolutely no other way to do it. I'm always happy to motivate and help my fellow friends, but I'm starting to feel less and less worse about cutting and limiting contact with those who aren't supportive, and are just discouraging. Hell I don't even tell people I want to build a business, or what I do in my free-time, I try to keep my mouth shut about things but yet when they do find out they like to make fun because I don't do what this generation considers normal, which is sitting in front of a screen doing nothing productive the entire day.

How can you make fun of someone for reading books, or even painting/drawing when its something people did throughout history for thousands of years up until the invention of the TV?

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree when you first start cutting out friends it's hard, but it gets easier and easier because the path to success seems clearer the farther you go. New positive people walk in your life and are like minded. It is a completely different reality and world.

G

GuestUser113

Life's handing you lemons, make lemonade then.

kK4Dxkx.gif

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This very true! :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
How long have you been in real estate Steveo and was this always the route that you wanted to take?.

I purchased a 4plex in 1997/98 and quit my job in 2000. I met someone that made more on his apartments than he did on his job so I had to copy him. I did not think about real estate much until that time. At that point, I began to live, eat, and breathe it.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I think we make it complex because of fear of judgement.

Great post x)
I absolutely agree. Not always fear of judgement, but there has to be some factor of fear attached. Failure, success, subconsciously worrying about the next step...fear of something.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Lol at that video up the top , he is a slicing expert. I actually like the way he sells.

Well said. It seems cold, but unfortunately there is absolutely no other way to do it. I'm always happy to motivate and help my fellow friends, but I'm starting to feel less and less worse about cutting and limiting contact with those who aren't supportive, and discouraging. Hell I don't even tell people I want to build a business, or what I do in my free-time, I try to keep my mouth shut about things but yet when they do find out they like to make fun because I don't do what this generation considers normal, which is sitting in front of a screen doing nothing productive the entire day.

How can you make fun of someone for reading books, or even painting/drawing when its something people did throughout history for thousands of years up until the invention of the TV?

I feel the exact same. My friends are good guys but they are constantly out drinking , smoking and not really going in the direction that I want. Therefore I have to close myself off of them for a while till I sort my priorities out. A business i believe is alot like a kid, put the hours in at the beginning and it begins to look after its self as it grows older.

I purchased a 4plex in 1997/98 and quit my job in 2000. I met someone that made more on his apartments than he did on his job so I had to copy him. I did not think about real estate much until that time. At that point, I began to live, eat, and breathe it.
I bet your glad you took the plunge, was this person a friend or just someone you knew of? Have you found any hard times or even built any brand new houses?.
Yeah as Manny Khoshbin says in his book "you cannot create more land" therefore the future stability of real estate is a winner in my eyes.
I would really love to buy property here in the UK. I think I am going to try get my first late on in the year once I have all the finances sorted.

I absolutely agree. Not always fear of judgement, but there has to be some factor of fear attached. Failure, success, subconsciously worrying about the next step...fear of something.
Yeah definitely what person "likes" to fail?

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah failure is a way of learning but Im just saying who actually likes to ha.
I must not be far off my 20th venture now but :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
was this person a friend or just someone you knew of?

He was a subordinate on my job. I was giving him "coaching" on how to do his job. He told me that he was going to quit if I made the job "not fun" for him. I asked how he could just quit and he told me he did not need the money. I asked a bunch of questions from that point. Who got the coaching?...

He did end up being a good friend. We did some deals together. I quit my job before he did.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
even though I've had everyone be negative
The majority of our population I believe. This is one thing that makes it challenging for us. This is why we stick together and meet others with the same positive mind set.

Nowadays folks are worried about that new hot tv series coming out. Or what a best friend just said on facebook. Or rather text on a cellphone.
Right. It takes their mind off their shitty life. It's also easier than working for something to make their lives better.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Judgment is one of the biggest problems. I made a choice to walk out of life that lead me no where when I came to the Netherlands. When I decided to write my story in a fiction novel. Change the characters and make them look like someone else. Failure! We learn to be failures! We apply other people's advice to our lives instead of driving ourselves. Tough lesson to learn. MJ's right the universe don't care how many straight A's, cum laude chords you wear, what you do or don't do. It all matters what you're worth? The price tag on your forehead. If it wasn't because of everyone's failure's in my life I wouldn't be who I am today. I might not be worth much at the moment. Give it another year to five years. I'll be worth more then those nice folks back at home that claim to be "Entrepreneuers". None of them ever made a million dollars. None of them followed MJ's advice. Finding his book this week just validated I'm ready and have the same mentality.

I'm not there yet financially, but I will learn. "Success is my only option! Failure's not!" Eminem. One day in the middle of my experience it clicked listening to his songs! Similar background! 8 mile road. That was three years ago I had that epiphany! "You only got one shot!" F*ck failure! For me it's losing myself in the writing and being a life coach. The other is "Till I collapse!"

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@SteveO ... Yes, I agree 100%. I should have worded that differently. I think most of us have great lives, truly. It is definitely our perspective. Thank you for catching me on that !

I'm a bit 'off' today. Not enough sunshine. Hmm...ok, coffee !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.