The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One thing I did not expect when "exiting" a job

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State
I gave my employer of many years two weeks notice that I will be leaving. My reason is that I am taking time off from 9-5 work to pursue my own business ideas. I am, of course, very excited. I am ready to give it everything I have and to succeed one way or another!

One thing I did not expect is that EVERYONE seems to keep complimenting me on how "brave" I am and how I should be commended for being willing to assume such "risk". It's strange to me, as I have not given much detail to anyone about my business idea, and I really do not see myself as being brave or even taking some insane amount of risk either. I have income for around a year in the bank and I have a lot to offer a company if I were to decide to re-enter the 9-5 world. I was even told I could return to my current company if desired.

I realize I am risking my time and some money, but my real fear is never taking the chance for REALLY living life and breaking out of the "normal" lifestyle defined by mediocrity. I do plan to start an INSIDERS/progress thread once I finish out my current position.

I just thought I would share this. Although, I never gave it much thought, I guess I did not expect so much of this reaction from people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
It's amazing how people associate getting out of your comfort zone as risk. As if someone is going to die if your venture fails.

But, that means less competition for you.

I had a good laugh over this. As if his venture fails, he gives a death stare at the computer screen, lets out a deafening screech of "NOOOOO!" and his entire body implodes.

But yeah, what did you expect? People say a lot of crazy shit

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
You are not concerned because you have a plan. Most others would not even consider this option. They probably don't think that it is likely you will succeed and are expecting that you will be back.

Edward G. Mathis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 6, 2014
It is amazing how meek most people are. They just cannot fathom that you would ever take a chance on something that you can do. These people always need someone to guide them, someone to hold their hand and tell them that everything is going to be ok, that they are doing a good job. Good for you for getting out and good luck!

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
I'm reminding myself and hopefully a few other new business starters here, but...

Don't let the praise, compliments, amazed reactions, envy go to your head. It's a sure fire way of becoming complacent, thinking you've already succeeded, and ultimately retreating back to the 9-5 world with your tail between your legs. I've seen it happen plenty of times that it' created a sense of indifference whenever I'm praised on my "bravery".

Just keep doing what you're doing. Congratulations on taking the first step, now take the next. And then the next. There is no finish line, and it's when you think you've finally found it you're setting yourself up for disaster.

I saw this cartoon this morning. Thought it was fitting...

aeNEV1v_460s_v1.jpg

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State
I'm reminding myself and hopefully a few other new business starters here, but...

Don't let the praise, compliments, amazed reactions, envy go to your head. It's a sure fire way of becoming complacent, thinking you've already succeeded, and ultimately retreating back to the 9-5 world with your tail between your legs. I've seen it happen plenty of times that it' created a sense of indifference whenever I'm praised on my "bravery".

Just keep doing what you're doing. Congratulations on taking the first step, now take the next. And then the next. There is no finish line, and it's when you think you've finally found it you're setting yourself up for disaster.

I saw this cartoon this morning. Thought it was fitting...

aeNEV1v_460s_v1.jpg

Well said. Thanks for the important reminder to stay humble and focus on the large tasks ahead. I take the comments more as ignorance on their part. Nothing against them: I know they mean well, but just have no clue of what they speak. I know I am not brave anyway (balls, yes), but rather have a fire burning in my gut I can no longer deny. I will f*cking fight to the death before I plug back in to the matrix again. Today I am putting in writing the "why" of why I quit my job to peruse business. Had my exit interview this morning (which was a blast, btw ;)

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
What they all fail to realize is the risk they are taking by not doing the same thing themselves.

They are risking living a life with no control or freedom, and the chances of that risk being realized are 100%.

I like your odds a lot better.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I had the same experience!

Six months on and when I speak to my former colleagues they still complain about their predicament. No matter how much I implore them to take action, they won't! It's easier to do nothing, complain about life and attribute blame to everything else in the world than to do something about it. Ahh...the human condition is a marvelous thing!

No other species rivals humankind's ability to self-pity and create excuses. Imagine a bear sitting in the woods thinking "I'm so hungry, I want to eat salmon but the river is 10 miles away, salmon are hard to catch, all the other bears are better than me at catching it, and I don't want to get my paws wet." These excuses don't exist. It's life depends on getting that salmon! My business is my salmon: I won't let anything stop me from getting it.

I'm by no means there yet but any momentary lapse in my pursuit I think back to these days of office imprisonment and vow never to return!

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
I just saw a clip of an interview with Kevin O'Leary from Shark Tank. This is what he said.

"The entrepreneurial spirit has never been more alive than it has ever been today because people have realize there's just as much risk in working for a big company and getting fired than there is starting your own. If you're going to fail let it be by your own hands." - Kevin O'Leary

Inside

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 12, 2014
Gold Coast, Australia
It is funny how others see it as a risk for "you". Where actually the risk they see is for them. They wouldn't do it, that's why your Brave to them.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I find that interesting.

Is it not risky to try and stay at a job when you could get fired at any moment (no matter what your level of performance is)? Then, if you DO get fired, don't you run the risk of being 'overqualified' causing people not to want to hire you, due to you being too expensive in their eyes?

But they wouldn't know, cuz they're already there.

Keep on truckin

TheUltimateWarrior

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
May 17, 2014
It's amazing how people associate getting out of your comfort zone as risk. As if someone is going to die if your venture fails.

But, that means less competition for you.

I recently told my parents I did not want to go back to college after one year. Their reaction was a mix of shock and the idea that I betrayed them. My mom compared it to when her first husband cheated on her.

What I had to say was: "It's college. It's not life or death. If I fail, I can always go back. I'm saving you money."

I guess for them it's not so much about the money as it is about the social implications of a son "quitting" college. Nevertheless, no one is going to die if my venture fails.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I recently told my parents I did not want to go back to college after one year. Their reaction was a mix of shock and the idea that I betrayed them. My mom compared it to when her first husband cheated on her.

What I had to say was: "It's college. It's not life or death. If I fail, I can always go back. I'm saving you money."

I guess for them it's not so much about the money as it is about the social implications of a son "quitting" college. Nevertheless, no one is going to die if my venture fails.
It's unlikely social implications of a son "quitting" college. They probably believe the mantra of "go to school, get good grades, go to college, get a good job". They're more likely disappointed and think you're not going to "succeed" now. Most people have been brainwashed by the 9-5 rat race illusion...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Basically you have to live your life for you. :) Some people will support you. Some will disappoint you. Some will encourage you. Some will sabotage you. You just have to do what is best for you. Even if you fail you've learned something. It's the experience. You never know unless you choose the journey.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
It's unlikely social implications of a son "quitting" college. They probably believe the mantra of "go to school, get good grades, go to college, get a good job". They're more likely disappointed and think you're not going to "succeed" now. Most people have been brainwashed by the 9-5 rat race illusion...

I screenshotted this. GOLD.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think "disappointed" is the wrong word too. Upset and panicking more likely, as any parent would be if they believe their child's future is in danger.

MattBnB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 2, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I gave my employer of many years two weeks notice that I will be leaving. My reason is that I am taking time off from 9-5 work to pursue my own business ideas. I am, of course, very excited. I am ready to give it everything I have and to succeed one way or another!

One thing I did not expect is that EVERYONE seems to keep complimenting me on how "brave" I am and how I should be commended for being willing to assume such "risk". It's strange to me, as I have not given much detail to anyone about my business idea, and I really do not see myself as being brave or even taking some insane amount of risk either. I have income for around a year in the bank and I have a lot to offer a company if I were to decide to re-enter the 9-5 world. I was even told I could return to my current company if desired.

I realize I am risking my time and some money, but my real fear is never taking the chance for REALLY living life and breaking out of the "normal" lifestyle defined by mediocrity. I do plan to start an INSIDERS/progress thread once I finish out my current position.

I just thought I would share this. Although, I never gave it much thought, I guess I did not expect so much of this reaction from people.

people fear change and difference. they don't understand this world.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Disappointed and everything you said above. You literally nailed it.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Oct 24, 2011
I think "disappointed" is the wrong word too. Upset and panicking more likely, as any parent would be if they believe their child's future is in danger.

To further iterate with my own view. They may also be worried about their own future and well being as they get into old age. I'm sure their 9-5 didn't supply for them the way they originally intended and if they are like many parents of the baby boomer generation they realize they'll be relying to some degree on their children to provide for them.

It's funny (or sad rather) that people go through life, work 9-5 for the average 40 years, end up never being financially free and have to rely on social security and their family to maintain their lifestyle or even well being. Then having this knowledge turn around recommend and commend their children and grandchildren for following the same path. On the flip side they condemn the same children or grandchildren for straying from an obviously unsuccessful foray into the world and attempting to make something of their own to assure their own security.

Who says wisdom comes with age?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The instant you become a parent you are no longer first in your own life. Your parents have devoted your whole life to putting your interests before theirs.

It is always better to try and see things constructively and understand and allay others fears.

Consider it an extremely important business skill if you have to.

I bet they are worried about their child's future more than their own.

Last edited:

Edwin C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 14, 2014
It is better to have done something and regret it later than to regret later to have done nothing about it.

Good on ya!

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Oct 24, 2011
The instant you become a parent you are no longer first in your own life. Your parents have devoted your whole life to putting your interests before theirs.

It is always better to try and see things constructively and understand and allay others fears.

Consider it an extremely important business skill if you have to.

I bet they are worried about their child's future more than their own.

I understand where you're coming from Andy but I was speaking to a separate possible perspective it wasn't to say it is the hard and fast truth but it is the unfortunate truth for many slow lane or government dependent families in my experience. I agree your perspective should always be constructive but this is more of objective realism than subjective negativism.

The instant you become a parent you are not SUPPOSED to be first in your own life, unfortunately many people have failed to realize this as evidenced by a growing population of self centered and entitled personalities.

I bet it is the case in the OP's case that his parents are worried about his future, my comment wasn't meant to say otherwise about the OP, I apologize if it appeared that way. It was just a separate perspective, which is also a useful business skill ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darren1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 13, 2014
I think that it just envy a lot of the time – envy that you have the balls (and ladies, you know what I mean hopefully, not excluding you) to take control of your own life. To step out of the rat race and say…this is what I want to do, I am confident in my own abilities to get things sorted.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.