The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Construction equipment rental business

Idea threads

alemoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Apr 14, 2022
you think it's a good idea to open a construction equipment rental business? (earth moving machines, scaffolding....)
How could i do to achive the first costomers?
Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Please answer some questions:

Is there a lot of new construction in the area? Can you find construction equipment to rent locally? Is population growing? How is the economy doing? Is local construction done by large corporations or mostly small contractors/private homeowners? Is organized crime involved? Do you have connections in the industry? Do you know anything about construction equipment? Will you have insurance? What happens when customers do not pay? How will the equipment be stored and transported?

Can you get a really good deal on construction equipment by ordering a huge quantity, buying used and restoring, importing from abroad? Can you finance the purchase through a bank? etc.

To test the local market, you could call construction companies or place ads. Claim you have scaffolding, excavators or whatever available. If you find people interested (in paying you), then maybe the idea is worth investigating further.

If you can't acquire the equipment yourself, but you are able to acquire customers, you can cooperate with a company that owns equipment.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
you think it's a good idea to open a construction equipment rental business?
no its not if you are starting out,

where are you going to get your inventory from? Auctions? will cost a lot for refurbishing dozers and other earth movers..

too saturated, high barrier entry costs and these types of companies go by years of relationships. Construction is a mess now across the board. Those newer companies that need equipment usually find them at auctions and what not... specialized equipment is again done by partnerships and relations that have been built up over the years (decades even)..

I guess you would have to forecast how much new construction is going up in your radius and judge but the numbers wouldnt work at this time of year

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Is organized crime involved?
Is this prevalent in germany? :happy:
In New york and NJ it USED to be the case (in my own experience). Construction companies where a way for some types to whitewash their 'protection' money haha. Those days are gone mostly (there is still some organized crime at the union level but that is just famlial and will probably die out in a decade haha)
Organized crime however is extremely prevalent in the shipping ports sector (go figure) :hilarious:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Is this prevalent in germany? :happy:
In New york and NJ it USED to be the case (in my own experience). Construction companies where a way for some types to whitewash their 'protection' money haha. Those days are gone mostly (there is still some organized crime at the union level but that is just famlial and will probably die out in a decade haha)
Organized crime however is extremely prevalent in the shipping ports sector (go figure) :hilarious:
OP is in Italy, possibly the southern part, so I think it's a good question to ask :rofl:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
OP is in Italy, possibly the southern part, so I think it's a good question to ask :rofl:
oh ok, i didnt know they were in Italy as i thought they were in the states. that makes sense now haha

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Is there competition? If yes, that is a good sign. Some would say it is a bad sign, but they are wrong. You want there to be a market for the thing you are doing, unless you are a billionaire gambler starting a massive money-losing startup like they do in Silicon Valley.

Look for construction companies in the area and look for existing construction rental companies. Copy them. Start working. Grow. Scale. Hit the CENTS sweet spot.

edit: also, why is everyone assuming you have to go into the big, expensive equipment? small tools are rented too. Shovels, drills, things like that make for a very profitable rental business. There was a family I knew well near my hometown who had such a business for 40-50 years and they thrived in the face of Home Depot and Lowe's.

Last edited by a moderator:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Let's assume you have enough money to start a construction equipment rental business.

If you do not know how to get clients, this is probably not a good place to start your first business.

Pick another business, learn how to do your own marketing, then invest the kind of dollars you'll need for this equipment.

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
If you can find a way to disrupt the status quo… making the experience value skewed in your favor while following CENTS, and passing that value on to the customer. It is possible.

The real question is, what can you do for clients that is actually disruptive?

Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I think it is a great business. I have 3 pieces of equipment that I rent as a sidebar to my other businesses. I make about $3k/month profit with almost no work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.