The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Thank you for your answer, @Vigilante. That's very helpful. It made me realize that's precisely what I want, which means I have to adjust my business strategy accordingly to grow it completely virtually.

I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive about the idea of having a totally virtual business (for some reason it feels less stable to me - which is probably a completely unfounded view), but you prove that one can achieve great success while taking this approach. You get the best from entrepreneurship without the worst.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You sound so happy!

:)

For those of you who listen(ed) to the podcast, Rachel's wedding is in late May (or we'd probably be gone already.)

There's something liberating about shutting a door behind you, driving south and not stopping until you see the ocean.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So I stopped by Regus today to get some work done, and ended up leasing an office.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Start a chair rental company!!

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I met friends yesterday and i said solemnely " i spent the last 10 years here, i am not going to spend the next 10 in this cold city "
... People ask me " how come you are single ? i respond semi-serious " i live in Ottawa :))
Let the adventure begin soon

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I had a nice boat on Lake Minnetonka. One year I decided to save a couple hundred bucks and winterize it myself. Apparently you need to get all of the water out of the block.

LOL, I'm laughing with you, not at you ;)

when i first got my tonka cruiser, i had toilet problems. Damn thing wouldn't work, and it got filled up from a boat full of people.

took it in and the marina told me I had to flip on the accessories switch on the control panel. dooohhhh

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Vigilante

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I realized that we can change Latitudes, even if it's for a very short period of time.

After my wife got home from work on Friday we were sitting around trying to figure out what to do for the weekend. My suggestion was to just get in the car and drive somewhere..like Florida. She said that we can't do that because it's too far, there wasn't enough time, we didn't have a plan, etc... Then I said, "why?, what's stopping us other than all of those excuses?" So...

We got in the car at 8pm and headed 12 hours south driving all night until we finally arrived to the beaches. We didn't plan a single thing except for the hotel. Everything worked out, it actually ended up being our best trip ever.

We only stayed for 2 nights, then got back in the car and drove all of the way home, with two dogs. But in that short period of time I experienced a whole new culture, I learned that people actually boil peanuts (which I hated), I discovered a few business ideas, and I think that we found a new place to live someday.

I know that this isn't exactly what you're talking about because it wasn't a full blown move, but I realized that even a short-term change in latitudes can add a lot of charge back into life. And looking back, the journey was actually more fun than arriving to the destination itself. It was hard and I wanted to quit at times...It reminded me very much of the journey to the fastlane.

I added a pic of the beach at 7am after driving all night. Nothing beats the feeling of driving 12 hours to step out onto the beach in the morning when most people are still asleep.
View attachment 9784

I love this story. This story breathes life and hope. Excellent. FREEDOM. You can do... what ever... you want to do.

And I bet your wife learned a bit about what it might feel like to be a free agent.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
The reduction in pain-in-the-a$$ is directly proportional to the reduction in head count.

I talked to the founder of the company that I work for now, we do about 30MM annually, and he told me that this was the one thing about business that he did not expect when he started; the headaches that come from dealing with employees and people. Vig knows what he is talking about, and I am really trying to let this lesson sink in now before I have a super successful business, that way I can grow it in a smart way and not just hire people for the sake of it!

Thanks Vig.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Inspirational . A month from now I'll be doing the same. except headed west to AZ. Bought a Box truck though. Got it cheap and going to flip it when I get out there. 4 days on the road for us driving 10 hours a day.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Life moves in chapters. People come in, and people fade out. Jobs come, and jobs go. Kids grow up. People die. Babies are born. You are in debt. You're out of debt. You're into religion. You're out of religion. You work out. You get fat. You get skinny. If you look back on your adulthood, you will see that there were beginnings, middles, and ends of distinct periods, or chapters. Nobodys life is static. The day you started doing what you did today was the start of the chapter you're in. Is it interesting? Do you like where you are at? If you could choose it, would you choose where you were at today? Physically? Mentally? Geographically? Would you choose it? Did you know you DID choose it?

What chapter are you writing as you read this? Where are you at? Can you recalibrate? Can you start something new?

Should you move half way across the country because you can?

Anyone that says that they can't write their own ending doesn't get free will. Where do you want to be?

What did you do today? Did you work some suck a$$ job just because that's where the sum total of your choices through today found you?

Are you one of the people I am watching set up your chair on the beach because it's Friday?

I spent too many years of my life being one of the people setting up chairs on a Friday.

Hmm...I'm thankful I left the U.S. and here in the Netherlands. And I suppose I wouldn't have had the opportunity to fill my time on entrepreneur heaven if I stayed there. That was the whole idea moving here, Re-writing the life story, leaving the old reality behind, and being the free thinker. I don't see any beach chairs around here. lol

I either work on my projects or look at the buildings or church across the street. Maybe a seagull on the light pole. Maybe feeding horses and cows when I take a walk, and it sure is nice crossing people's farmland without anyone getting bent out of shape because you're on there property and visiting, the pigs, goats, horses, cows, chickens, and ducks. lol These are my new friends. Ha ha! They don't have much negativity. Who wouldn't like seeing Germany, Belgium, and France.

While I left bad circumstances, it's been a blast over here learning everything I have from the Fastlane, about business, and writing. This reality is more pleasant and proves how removing yourself from a bad environment, and toxic people can make a big difference in every aspect. While I'm still learning and growing it's time today to Celebrate my Fastlane birthday today. And boy did this forum change my world and my son's back home in one year. I'm still lacking the funds, but still it's quite amazing.

I had to laugh today, when I talked to my son on skype, because he's learning to hustle. lol He went to a garage sale and bought some video games, and resold them. lol I just told him on here were doing that type of thing and putting it on ebay etc. I didn't think he would listen that fast in two days. So, yes, being on here has rubbed off on him.

Everything can be changed around, and while we may have fears, we just have to push through them and create our own realities.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Congrats on making it to Florida. A new chapter in your life has begun and you started it with an adventure.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Congrats on the move!

I packed up and moved to the Gulf Coast last September. Coming from upstate NY (it snowed 119.1 inches this past winter) was a major change in lifestyle.

You and your family will love it down here.

Planning to check this out some time over the next week.
http://www.sugarsandfestival.com/

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I just paid nothing to florida in my taxes.... cue up the end of that Ferriss clip :D

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Not a job .... fund a local kid starting a chair rental company. Write about the experience while sipping spiced rum and pineapple juice.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
@Vigilante I've been searching for the words to explain to friends and family why I'm leaving the east coast (again ) and going back to Arizona(not inspired by MJ). Your last post put it as simple and and to the point as I could imagine. Thank You.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I love this thread @Vigilante. One of the things I am struggling with right now is that I feel like I am doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing. While they are moving to their dream destination as far as geography, climate, and weather....I'm in this strange scenario where I feel like I might have to leave the beautiful weather, seasons and topography of the Carolinas to go to the dry desert area of TX where there is no ocean or mountains or greenery like there is here, and that bothers me.

But, I feel like my life here has become stagnant and that it's time for a change. The business I am working on could be done from anywhere really. But there are reasons why perhaps I should go to Texas (family, friends, no income taxes, the manufacturers I want to use for my business are there, major metro, singles, more opportunities, etc)....but it's not my dream place.

I have been vacillating back and forth about it and trying to make a decision that would be 'good for me'. Honestly what I would prefer right now I couldn't afford anyway, like spending the summer in Santorini, Greece, or going back to Italy to live in Tuscany for 6 months. So... I have to face reality. I can't stay here anymore just for the weather. Something has to change soon. Thoughts anyone?

Listen.

My top three areas that were in consideration :

1. Gulf coast of Florida
2. Dallas, Texas
3. Charlotte, NC (whose personal income taxes are declining to the point of reasonable.)

I LOVE the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and there are a handful of forum members (both old and new) there. Awesome area, awesome amenities, awesome culture. It ended up just not being warm enough for us, but we gave strong consideration (to the point of looking for houses) to Dallas. So, if you need a change of pace and scenery to recalibrate, I would not hesitate to recommend DFW.

G

GuestUser140

Every single employee, without exception, reaches the point where they start to think their contributions exceed their pay... especially when you are living the remote life and following the commandment of TIME.

Solid info.

I might not even tell them I'm a thousand miles away. Give the impression I'm in the general area, out and about meeting people / doing stuff to grow the business, and "might drop in later today or this week if I find the time". Effectively, I'd still be at my business once a week, then once a month etc.

Now figuring out what a fulfilment centre does. I sell used products so ideally items have to be graded and tested. Looking into this.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I tell every single one of them... when they get to that point (not IF) that is their time to leave and go do their own thing. Every single employee, without exception, reaches the point where they start to think their contributions exceed their pay... especially when you are living the remote life and following the commandment of TIME.

Thanks for this @Vigilante.

Does that mean you actually let them go at that stage, or just that you tell them those are the options - stay on current salary, or strike out on their own?

I could understand that when someone gets to that point, then it's better to get someone else in.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
I am heading to Yuma next week to look at a golf course that is for sale. That would be the ultimate for my wife and I to sail off into the sunset with. I could either pay money to become part of a club.... or could make money while being the club. :rockon:

Not saying that we are purchasing this, just looking...
Yuma is about an hour south from where we are moving. Lake Havasu city. Not a bad place to retire that's for damn sure.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
A lot of people go on vacation, and wish they could stay. They could, really. Just like MJ talks about trading 5 days of work for 2 weekend days of freedom... so people trade 50 weeks of suck for 2 weeks of playing where they want to play. Why can't it be a full time life thing? If you love California, why can't you move there?

There's a happiness scale. Where are you at on it?

You're running out of excuses as to why staying in your comfort zone makes sense. When you reach your breaking point, look for the escape hatch and take the exit. Life is short. Navigate yourself to where you want to be.

Just like you I am the definition of just 'packing up the car and leaving'. Been here over a year and a half.
I may move again at some point, but at least now it no longer is a big deal.
No longer will I make excuses as to why I can't.
Total mindset shift.

Also always enjoy when people post things like "wishing I could go back to ____"
You don't have to go back if you refuse to leave.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
People like to stay within their comfort zones, and I have noticed an interesting phenomenon... they like YOU to stay inside their comfort zones as well. Think about the movie the Truman Show with Jim Carrey.

So true. It's interesting that you bring this movie up. I am a big movie / film industry buff and somehow The Truman Show had slipped by me. Back then it just didn't sound like something I would have been interested in, but after happening upon thousands of good reviews, I watched it for the first time about a month ago....17 years after the fact.
I was blown away. I didn't realize there was going to be anything serious or relative about it but I couldn't believe the impact it had. I also can't believe I cried during a Jim Carrey movie. ha

Great recommendation, Vig. For those who don't understand it or can't relate, it won't mean much. But for those who have been there...who know what it's like to feel trapped by something invisible, they'll get it.

Quark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 21, 2015
Houston, TX
I love this thread, we did the same thing in April 2013. We got the same stories - you are two years away from retiring, what if it does not work out? ......

It goes on and on, all from people who complain all day every day about their job and life. We moved from San Diego to Houston. People pulled my wife aside and told her she could never live in the heat and humidity of Houston. Relatives in Tucson told her how hot is was in Houston.

We hit the ground running and have never looked back. Now all of her old friends see our new life and tell her how lucky we are to have gotten out when we did.

People are strange!

Congrats on your move, I expect the appreciation will really set in around Nov when you are hanging out on the patio in the evening- in shorts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!