The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1/12th of a year at a time - a progress thread

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's another one that might help you even if you're not creating a business selling Google Ads as a Service.

I talk about how I bounce around in communities helping people and then get invited into other communities.

And how I started by saying Yes to everything and then am trying to scale by saying No more often.

This presentation was me talking over a Google Slide deck, so a different style. I think it's possibly less engaging, but it meant I could cover information in more detail.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I'm not terrible at giving presentations on little sleep, excessive amounts of caffeine, and with zero practice runs. Could definitely have been better, but could have been way way worse. A mentor has helped me realize this is a skill that I should lean into more.
Best presentation is the one that's actually given:)

Also, without early works, there can't be later works,
it's literally how the path goes.

So congratulations on starting!
You will improve with each next one.

And at a point when you get really slick and well versed in presentation and video production,
you will love your first presentation, and hold it closer to your heart than perhaps you do now:)

Sofiawicz

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 25, 2023
Hi @REV5028!

First of all, congrats on getting started and thumbs up on the progress :)

I have a probably fairly irrelevant question for you at this stage, but: I saw you started studying Python - what led you to this language ? and has it helped you in some way for your current progress ?

The reason I am asking is that I begun a course a few weeks back but am still not 100% sure whether it truly makes sense for me as I cannot really see what it will lead me to. You might ask yourself why I started to begin with: I always liked coding, more for the meditative side of it and for the way it helps you to put your thoughts down clearly. Then, I simply chose one language and went with it...

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Hi @REV5028!

First of all, congrats on getting started and thumbs up on the progress :)

I have a probably fairly irrelevant question for you at this stage, but: I saw you started studying Python - what led you to this language ? and has it helped you in some way for your current progress ?

The reason I am asking is that I begun a course a few weeks back but am still not 100% sure whether it truly makes sense for me as I cannot really see what it will lead me to. You might ask yourself why I started to begin with: I always liked coding, more for the meditative side of it and for the way it helps you to put your thoughts down clearly. Then, I simply chose one language and went with it...
Hey there! Thanks for the congrats and taking the time to read some of my story :)

I had started studying Python because other team members in my 9-to-5 were already using it for some fairly established projects. In my field, Python is well-liked because it's open source/free, and can handle certain things better than other languages such as matlab. It also seems to play well enough with other languages and applications.

Like you, I have always enjoyed coding for the problem solving and meditative sides of it. However, I never really thought I could (nor did I care to) get super good at it to be competitive enough for any reason (career, business, etc.). So, I guess for me it turns out coding is something I enjoy every now and again, but it's not something I can see myself pouring my soul into. Dogs on the other hand... literally on my mind all day and night.

If you don't have one chosen already, I suggest you choose a problem you want to solve first. Then see if learning Python is a good step forward.

Sofiawicz

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 25, 2023
Thanks for the congrats and taking the time to read some of my story
I found it interesting because one can really see the process of starting out with something fairly 'by mistake' and an idea coming from this experience without the experience being the solution - hope I am making sense.

If you don't have one chosen already, I suggest you choose a problem you want to solve first. Then see if learning Python is a good step forward.
Ah for sure, I have not really started this course because of any fastlane idea or need. It was really out of interest AND sometimes starting something can help you open up new perspectives without you intending to in the first place - even better if you enjoy it ! :)

Thanks and good luck, will be following you progress !

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I found it interesting because one can really see the process of starting out with something fairly 'by mistake' and an idea coming from this experience without the experience being the solution - hope I am making sense.
That is so wonderful to hear - I'm glad there's some value to be found here. I was hoping to encourage those having a hard time getting started or feeling lost.

Ah for sure, I have not really started this course because of any fastlane idea or need. It was really out of interest AND sometimes starting something can help you open up new perspectives without you intending to in the first place - even better if you enjoy it ! :)
Oh I see, I think I misinterpreted you a little bit. There's nothing wrong with picking up a skill out of interest because it can absolutely lead to something more or come in handy sometimes. Especially when you aren't quite sure what your business or career goals are just yet. And with coding, for the most part, once you learn one, you'll probably find it much easier to learn another one.

I worked a bit with C++ for an undergraduate class a long time ago and I really enjoyed it. Then I used matlab and shell scripting almost exclusively, and then Python a bit. I tried to learn some Java for a project years ago, but the main code was so large and complex that it was way over my head as a beginner; but it was very clear to me that it's very powerful and one I would consider learning if I was really really into coding. And then if you decide coding isn't really something you want to focus on, you'll still have that transferrable skill and be able to pick up html or css etc. to build your own website, you'll better understand software you might need for your future business, etc.

So, yes, I think coding is a useful skill to have, and as for which one, I think C++ or Python would be good places to start (based on my experience).

Thanks and good luck, will be following you progress !
Thanks! I'll be looking for your progress thread as well!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
3/12 2024

I've gotten a few new clients, and I've even had a couple of weeks with a one-on-one session every day, sometimes even two a day.

I've been recognized a few times while out and about, and my local vet even called to ask if I would be willing to work with one of their patients. That was kinda cool.

I'm giving a free community seminar on April 5 with 12 out of 25 spots filled and I'm expecting at least one more to sign up ... I should probably get that presentation squared away...

I sold a few homemade dog treat bags that I upcycled out of old jeans. People seem to think they're pretty nifty. I'm considering making a few more and going to the Farmer's market with them (and to advertise my training services). But it's kind of a distraction - it's not what I'm really invested in, but if enough people are into the treat bags it could help me increase my income for the time being and get out of my 9-to-5 faster...

I've been thinking and working through a bigger idea, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Particularly which niche to pick. I have it narrowed down to two. Even though the niches are different, the solution (or part of it) is the exact same, so that has been making it difficult to just pick one (for now). I also have huge pain points and motivation for both (I myself would fit equally into either one), and that also makes it hard to choose one over the other. I've joined Facebook groups containing people that fit each niche's avatars. Maybe there's a way to help both? I'm not sure how advisable that would be. Anyway, I have one (maybe two) current clients who are sort of testing out my first version of the solution. They don't perfectly fit into either niche, but they have similar enough problems that I'm confident my solution will help. I'm having them test it out more because 1. they were interested and it has been hard for me to get serious interest (I'm working on my messaging, at least I think that's a big part of my issue and will hopefully become a lot easier once I commit to just one niche/avatar) 2. I need feedback on the format and what would make it even better/easier for people to use. 3. I need to get a better idea of where to price this service. Anyway, now I'm rambling.

Feeling pretty spread thin.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
3/12 2024

I've gotten a few new clients, and I've even had a couple of weeks with a one-on-one session every day, sometimes even two a day.

I've been recognized a few times while out and about, and my local vet even called to ask if I would be willing to work with one of their patients. That was kinda cool.

I'm giving a free community seminar on April 5 with 12 out of 25 spots filled and I'm expecting at least one more to sign up ... I should probably get that presentation squared away...

I sold a few homemade dog treat bags that I upcycled out of old jeans. People seem to think they're pretty nifty. I'm considering making a few more and going to the Farmer's market with them (and to advertise my training services). But it's kind of a distraction - it's not what I'm really invested in, but if enough people are into the treat bags it could help me increase my income for the time being and get out of my 9-to-5 faster...

I've been thinking and working through a bigger idea, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Particularly which niche to pick. I have it narrowed down to two. Even though the niches are different, the solution (or part of it) is the exact same, so that has been making it difficult to just pick one (for now). I also have huge pain points and motivation for both (I myself would fit equally into either one), and that also makes it hard to choose one over the other. I've joined Facebook groups containing people that fit each niche's avatars. Maybe there's a way to help both? I'm not sure how advisable that would be. Anyway, I have one (maybe two) current clients who are sort of testing out my first version of the solution. They don't perfectly fit into either niche, but they have similar enough problems that I'm confident my solution will help. I'm having them test it out more because 1. they were interested and it has been hard for me to get serious interest (I'm working on my messaging, at least I think that's a big part of my issue and will hopefully become a lot easier once I commit to just one niche/avatar) 2. I need feedback on the format and what would make it even better/easier for people to use. 3. I need to get a better idea of where to price this service. Anyway, now I'm rambling.

Feeling pretty spread thin.
What if you just focused on business idea 1? Could it allow you to quit your 9-5?

Alex Hormozi keeps quoting advice he got from Read, Fire, Aim I believe:

Until you're at 1m/year stick to 1 product, 1 channel, 1 avatar.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
What if you just focused on business idea 1? Could it allow you to quit your 9-5?

Alex Hormozi keeps quoting advice he got from Read, Fire, Aim I believe:

Until you're at 1m/year stick to 1 product, 1 channel, 1 avatar.
Thanks, Andy. Once again, with so few words you've helped immensely. I'll have to check out that book.

I've been going through Alex's $100M Offers and that's where I've hit the roadblock of which avatar to choose.
  • Avatar 1: An unconventional training program for adult dogs with reactivity/aggression [options to make it even more specific: that traditional training and medication has not helped; and/or that were rescued]
  • Avatar 2: A wellness program for adult dogs with cancer [options to make it even more specific: specifically brain tumors; and/or that have gone through treatment (e.g., radiation, chemo, surgery)]
The product/service would be nearly identical for either one, but the messaging would be pretty different.

I'm in several Facebook groups with people that fit either avatar, and I've been responding to a handful of posts here and there. I can increase my frequency. I likely just haven't put myself out there enough to find genuine interest from the right people - 99 no's for every 1 yes, and I haven't gotten to 99 no's.

I also think about "how would I find me?" because I fit either avatar and would have benefited greatly from having something like what I've come up with when I was first facing the aggression/tumor issues (taking my effort level from 8 or 9 and making it a level 3 for others). And I think I need to do a bit more cold outreach to people I know to see if they know anyone. But first I'll need to pick which avatar so I can craft a focused message.

That being said, I've realized that so far I've just been training for anyone willing to pay $30 an hour - rescues, puppies, older dogs, leash pulling, jumping, come-sit-stay, etc. And it's starting to get in the way of what I'd really really enjoy doing with either of those avatars (a program I could probably price anywhere from $500 - $2000, though I haven't sat down and worked it out exactly yet). So, I think it's time I raise my hourly rate to $50; if people are still willing to pay it then fine for now, it's getting me out of my 9-to-5 a tiny bit faster and I still get to meet people and work with dogs. If people aren't willing to pay that, just as well, I can focus more on building my program.

Thanks again, Andy!

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Thanks, Andy. Once again, with so few words you've helped immensely. I'll have to check out that book.

I've been going through Alex's $100M Offers and that's where I've hit the roadblock of which avatar to choose.
  • Avatar 1: An unconventional training program for adult dogs with reactivity/aggression [options to make it even more specific: that traditional training and medication has not helped; and/or that were rescued]
  • Avatar 2: A wellness program for adult dogs with cancer [options to make it even more specific: specifically brain tumors; and/or that have gone through treatment (e.g., radiation, chemo, surgery)]
The product/service would be nearly identical for either one, but the messaging would be pretty different.

I'm in several Facebook groups with people that fit either avatar, and I've been responding to a handful of posts here and there. I can increase my frequency. I likely just haven't put myself out there enough to find genuine interest from the right people - 99 no's for every 1 yes, and I haven't gotten to 99 no's.

I also think about "how would I find me?" because I fit either avatar and would have benefited greatly from having something like what I've come up with when I was first facing the aggression/tumor issues (taking my effort level from 8 or 9 and making it a level 3 for others). And I think I need to do a bit more cold outreach to people I know to see if they know anyone. But first I'll need to pick which avatar so I can craft a focused message.

That being said, I've realized that so far I've just been training for anyone willing to pay $30 an hour - rescues, puppies, older dogs, leash pulling, jumping, come-sit-stay, etc. And it's starting to get in the way of what I'd really really enjoy doing with either of those avatars (a program I could probably price anywhere from $500 - $2000, though I haven't sat down and worked it out exactly yet). So, I think it's time I raise my hourly rate to $50; if people are still willing to pay it then fine for now, it's getting me out of my 9-to-5 a tiny bit faster and I still get to meet people and work with dogs. If people aren't willing to pay that, just as well, I can focus more on building my program.

Thanks again, Andy!
Complete outsider to this situation except that I've volunteered to "train" dogs in the past at a local shelter to get them out of their kennels and more friendly to increase adoption rates but....

I personally don't think you should do/try only one of those. I think the average rate of any given person in a city actually hiring a dog trainer/consultant is so low that you don't want to niche down exclusively this far (in my opinion). Instead I would have this as different plans/options you have available like how a medical spa doesn't do just one thing but still gets recommended to others based off the quality they received in one specific thing. Hope that makes sense.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Complete outsider to this situation except that I've volunteered to "train" dogs in the past at a local shelter to get them out of their kennels and more friendly to increase adoption rates but....

I personally don't think you should do/try only one of those. I think the average rate of any given person in a city actually hiring a dog trainer/consultant is so low that you don't want to niche down exclusively this far (in my opinion). Instead I would have this as different plans/options you have available like how a medical spa doesn't do just one thing but still gets recommended to others based off the quality they received in one specific thing. Hope that makes sense.
I commend you for working with shelter dogs - I've thought about it, but I most certainly would end up with 10 dogs in my house and/or I wouldn't be able to handle the heartbreak every day of seeing them there. (Also, I hear our local dog shelter is run by a real piece of work who won't even let people foster...)

Interesting. What you say makes sense, and I've been wondering how far to niche down. And I would love to help as many people as possible with their dogs in as many ways as possible. But for a team of one person and no capital, wouldn't it be smarter to start really specific and then build upon it from there?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I would love to help as many people as possible with their dogs in as many ways as possible. But for a team of one person and no capital, wouldn't it be smarter to start really specific and then build upon it from there?
What about increasing your fees and seeing who still keeps coming through to you, and what problem they want solved.

That way your niche might reveal itself rather than you choose beforehand.

PS: We're picking up our first dog tomorrow morning. A four month old labraror. The kids are beyond excited. I heard one saying to my wife "I've been waiting for this for seven years."

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
What about increasing your fees and seeing who still keeps coming through to you, and what problem they want solved.
That could be illuminating, though I'm skeptical given how small and low-income my town is.

PS: We're picking up our first dog tomorrow morning. A four month old labraror. The kids are beyond excited. I heard one saying to my wife "I've been waiting for this for seven years."
Oh how lovely! That's so wonderful and exciting :) I would love to see a picture.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That could be illuminating, though I'm skeptical given how small and low-income my town is.
Or may just start a waitlist instead of increasing prices from the off? When a client leaves you could ask your waitlist who wants their place, at a slightly higher price than the person who left.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Or may just start a waitlist instead of increasing prices from the off? When a client leaves you could ask your waitlist who wants their place, at a slightly higher price than the person who left.
I was thinking that I'd announce my price increase to existing clients and at my seminar - current clients can keep their rate, but any new clients after, say April 8th will be at the new rate. Thought maybe doing it that way would get people to spread the word a little bit more/faster and might entice people who have been on the fence to take action. Any feedback on that idea?

I have a rough draft of a waitlist, but it's more for the program I mentioned earlier. I just haven't really advertised for it yet because I haven't gotten the offer and message nailed down.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was thinking that I'd announce my price increase to existing clients and at my seminar - current clients can keep their rate, but any new clients after, say April 8th will be at the new rate. Thought maybe doing it that way would get people to spread the word a little bit more/faster and might entice people who have been on the fence to take action. Any feedback on that idea?

I have a rough draft of a waitlist, but it's more for the program I mentioned earlier. I just haven't really advertised for it yet because I haven't gotten the offer and message nailed down.
Play it by ear. My favourite advice about pricing was to not get precious about it.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
wouldn't it be smarter to start really specific and then build upon it from there?
How I personally would approach this based on just what I've read you mention in this thread & your goals/interests sprinkled with a little visualization exercise:

You are the dog guru - people come to you with the desire to fix/heal/promote the health and behavior of the dog. Most of the time this means they've tried other things or heard of other people trying other things and it didn't work - you are who they come to when they want to get serious.

Your main money makers long run will be passive products. Ebooks, maybe treats/supplements designed by you and made in bulk by some sort of fulfillment, and online seminars (which are more scalable due to not being geographically limited and more can attend).

While getting this point though you had to do things to earn being sought out (both in knowledge and in products). This phase (where you are now) can include any number of things with varying impacts, including:
* newsletter to keep eyes on your future efforts
* Group trainings/seminars: more commitment to get these hosted but these are really a sales funnel to private lessons + marketing yourself (newsletter sign ups).
* Private lessons/meetings: higher $$$ and preferably on a recurring plan only - not one off
* Experimenting with treats/supplements made by you for your clients - not focusing on pure profit at this point more using your audience to see what sticks. (as laws allow)

I could be completely off base but that's what I see.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
How I personally would approach this based on just what I've read you mention in this thread & your goals/interests sprinkled with a little visualization exercise:

You are the dog guru - people come to you with the desire to fix/heal/promote the health and behavior of the dog. Most of the time this means they've tried other things or heard of other people trying other things and it didn't work - you are who they come to when they want to get serious.

Your main money makers long run will be passive products. Ebooks, maybe treats/supplements designed by you and made in bulk by some sort of fulfillment, and online seminars (which are more scalable due to not being geographically limited and more can attend).

While getting this point though you had to do things to earn being sought out (both in knowledge and in products). This phase (where you are now) can include any number of things with varying impacts, including:
* newsletter to keep eyes on your future efforts
* Group trainings/seminars: more commitment to get these hosted but these are really a sales funnel to private lessons + marketing yourself (newsletter sign ups).
* Private lessons/meetings: higher $$$ and preferably on a recurring plan only - not one off
* Experimenting with treats/supplements made by you for your clients - not focusing on pure profit at this point more using your audience to see what sticks. (as laws allow)

I could be completely off base but that's what I see.
Yes, you get me!

Okay, this is pretty much what I had in mind up until this week when I started losing the forest in the trees.

Thank you for helping me to refocus!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh how lovely! That's so wonderful and exciting :) I would love to see a picture.
Meet new member of the family, Bella Black.

She's not house trained, chews a lot of stuff, is too nervous to walk out the front, hasn't settled at night, chases balls but doesn't know what to do when she gets there, and I think is a bit on the chubby side from never being walked or played with. :(

But she's so mellow, quiet (during the day at least), and super friendly.

20240331_111825.jpg

20240331_111832.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I emailed a local dog trainer (who I found on Google maps and who seems to have a team at this stage).

Here's her reply:

Screenshot_20240403_010709.jpg

Screenshot_20240403_010726.jpg

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Meet new member of the family, Bella Black.
Bella Black! How precious!! Thank you for taking the time to share with me (us)! Bella was actually the name of our most recent rescue, but we didn't feel it suited her so now she's just Ella haha

She's not house trained, chews a lot of stuff, is too nervous to walk out the front, hasn't settled at night, chases balls but doesn't know what to do when she gets there, and I think is a bit on the chubby side from never being walked or played with.
Sounds like most puppies! She'll learn and settle in once she realizes she's in her forever home. She's lucky to have you and your family :)

But she's so mellow, quiet (during the day at least), and super friendly.
She's going to be your family's best buddy!

I emailed a local dog trainer (who I found on Google maps and who seems to have a team at this stage).

Here's her reply:
Thanks for sharing that with me. I've only recently really started working with puppies and I'm finding it's not too much different than the older dogs. On some things it's a lot easier, actually, and on other things it takes a lot more patience. It has been really fun. I'm planning to ask the attendees (mostly already clients of mine) at my seminar this Friday if they'd be interested in a few different services, one being a puppy playdate finder. I hadn't thought of doing a group puppy course, so that's definitely an idea I'll explore more.

Thanks again, Andy :) Can't wait to hear how Miss Bella Black settles in and grows into your family!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Do you do paid consultations @REV5028 ?
So far I haven't. I've been offering simple free 30 minute video chats or phone calls to ask what problems people are facing with their dogs, learn more about their situation in general, and introduce myself a bit more. I will usually give a suggestion or two for them to try or look into before they commit to a paid session - sometimes (maybe ~30% of the time) I never hear from people again, other times (usually) they want to book a session with me by the end of the free call. I actually haven't had many free calls lately - most of my recent clients have contacted me wanting to jump right into a paid session (I think word of mouth is the reason for this).

I'm in a Facebook group for dog trainers that's hosted by someone in Texas (I think) who has a 7-figure dog training business. They suggest never offering free consultation calls because it helps to screen out the people who wouldn't be good clients faster - if someone isn't willing to pay a small fee and answer 7 simple questions, then they won't be invested in the service and won't be ideal clients. I've been thinking about it, but so far I haven't really felt it necessary to impose a consultation fee yet.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
so far I haven't really felt it necessary to impose a consultation fee yet
Not saying not to do free calls, just to stop thinking you're "imposing" a consultation fee. It's a value exchange. If you do it for free then record the call so you can use post clips to YouTube/social media. Also ask for a Google/Facebook review.

Something to ask yourself: Would you be able to serve more people and better if you were doing this full-time? Are you doing dogs and their owners a disservice by not making this a self-sustaining business.

How much would you charge me for a 1 hour call about Bella? Or would a 1 hour call where we chat about your business be a better value exchange for you?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
It's a value exchange.
Thanks for the reminder, I needed it.

If you do it for free then record the call so you can use post clips to YouTube/social media. Also ask for a Google/Facebook review.
I need to do this more and get better at it. I'm still a little shy in asking for things to be recorded.

Would you be able to serve more people and better if you were doing this full-time? Are you doing dogs and their owners a disservice by not making this a self-sustaining business.
Absolutely, and absolutely.

Just today I was thinking about how what I'm doing now is not sustainable. I always knew that I wouldn't be able to spend all my hours working with clients one-on-one forever (even if it one day replaced my 9-to-5), but today was the first time I really felt it. I really need to start focusing on getting other things going, like a subscription service or ebook or course or something.

How much would you charge me for a 1 hour call about Bella? Or would a 1 hour call where we chat about your business be a better value exchange for you?
I would be more than happy to exchange a one hour dog call for a one hour business call!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I would be more than happy to exchange a one hour dog call for a one hour business call!
Cool. Let's do it. Maybe it's one call where you help me and then I've a better idea what you do and can help you back. I'll DM you.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The lady who I found on Google Maps didn't reply to our question yesterday where we said we're interested in all plans and when can we start. Seems she's swamped, which happens. I'm slow quoting someone too so know how that goes.

Anyway, I searched again. Look at this top ad. It doesn't show my town in the headline. I'm looking for someone local.

If they were my client I'd create an ad for every town and city in Ireland, and make sure the location was mentioned in the landing page.

Screenshot_20240404_083733.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just today I was thinking about how what I'm doing now is not sustainable. I always knew that I wouldn't be able to spend all my hours working with clients one-on-one forever (even if it one day replaced my 9-to-5), but today was the first time I really felt it. I really need to start focusing on getting other things going, like a sub1scription service or ebook or course or something.
Why wouldn't you be able to spend all your hours working on clients one-on-one? Is it because there's not enough clients, or because it doesn't pay enough, or because it's too tiring?

Are you able to you hire other trainers?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
If they were my client I'd create an ad for every town and city in Ireland, and make sure the location was mentioned in the landing page.
I'm looking for someone local.
I think I'm a little confused on what "local" means. Does it mean the company is based in your town? Or does it mean that the company will serve your town?

I suppose if I put on my consumer hat, I probably wouldn't care much if the only company doing X or the best rated company doing X were based in Dublin but were willing to serve me in Killarney and that was made known up front in say an ad banner.

Why wouldn't you be able to spend all your hours working on clients one-on-one? Is it because there's not enough clients, or because it doesn't pay enough, or because it's too tiring?
This is a good point. I probably could continue doing one-on-one, but it'd have to be different than what I'm doing now.

Are you able to you hire other trainers?
Not currently, I don't think, but maybe I'm not seeing all the options.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think I'm a little confused on what "local" means. Does it mean the company is based in your town? Or does it mean that the company will serve your town?

I suppose if I put on my consumer hat, I probably wouldn't care much if the only company doing X or the best rated company doing X were based in Dublin but were willing to serve me in Killarney and that was made known up front in say an ad banner.
Exactly. As a consumer I want to know they serve my location. I dont really care if they're based in my location.

The simplest way to let me know they seeve my location is to have "<Location> Dog Trainer" in the ad headline, and in the landing page.

The ad I screenshot above doesn't say where they serve. It just says they're the leading dog trainers in Ireland.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.