The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You're worth nothing!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Hello!
Few months ago I began a journey to wealth and financial freedom. I've been doing my best in improving my weak points. From a lazy guy that is always late everywhere for over 10 years straight, to an organized early riser that is always on time. I have been following many successful people and I have been trying to copy their mindset and everyday's habits. I've noticed a huge progress and that made me think about introdoucing this lifestyle to my family and friends (totally buying MJ's book for my girlfriend).

I am trying every possible way to influence as many people as I can, but 99% of them have a mindset of a worker slave. None of them even thought of ever being wealthy. Everybody follows the "regular" path of getting a college degree and then working for the rest of their lives for a slightly better salary each year. So every time I try convincing them that fastlane might be a better alternative, it ends up with a sarcastic smile on their face.

Also, my whole life I've been told that either I'm an idiot (not literally) or that I will never achieve anything in my life, because smarter people than me tried and it didn't even work for them, so why would I be successful?

I have a question:
How often were you told that you're worth nothing (again not literally) and you will fail no matter what? Did it stop you from becoming the person you want to be?

And a bonus question for successful entrepreneurs:
What grades did you have at school? Is it really like they say - students with best grades end up having the best jobs / life?

Thank you for your time :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hello!
Few months ago I began a journey to wealth and financial freedom. I've been doing my best in improving my weak points. From a lazy guy that is always late everywhere for over 10 years straight, to an organized early riser that is always on time. I have been following many successful people and I have been trying to copy their mindset and everyday's habits. I've noticed a huge progress and that made me think about introdoucing this lifestyle to my family and friends (totally buying MJ's book for my girlfriend).

I am trying every possible way to influence as many people as I can, but 99% of them have a mindset of a worker slave. None of them even thought of ever being wealthy. Everybody follows the "regular" path of getting a college degree and then working for the rest of their lives for a slightly better salary each year. So every time I try convincing them that fastlane might be a better alternative, it ends up with a sarcastic smile on their face.

Also, my whole life I've been told that either I'm an idiot (not literally) or that I will never achieve anything in my life, because smarter people than me tried and it didn't even work for them, so why would I be successful?

I have a question:
How often were you told that you're worth nothing (again not literally) and you will fail no matter what? Did it stop you from becoming the person you want to be?

And a bonus question for successful entrepreneurs:
What grades did you have at school? Is it really like they say - students with best grades end up having the best jobs / life?

Thank you for your time :)
I wasn't told this stuff directly all that much, but somehow I believed it anyway. For me, its been a process of:

thinking positively (this is a CHOICE and its a prerequisite)
trying something new
stumbling around
feeling badly about myself
then succeeding, if even just a little. (and deciding to positively change how I viewed myself as a result)
repeat

finding mentors and being vulnerable about exactly what I was thinking and then asking how I should view the situation differently also helped.

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile
Hello!
every time I try convincing them that fastlane might be a better alternative, it ends up with a sarcastic smile on their face.

I have a question:

I have been told by a millionaire (2-5 mil aprox) that I would never achieve anything, cant care less about what he have to say.
Pro tip: Dont share your ideas and your vision about life until you are successful, sure, you can share it with your girlfriend or with your best friends, but I can guarantee you that 99% of the time the people will laugh at you.

Work in silence until you are successful.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I'm by no means wealthy, but I'm definitely financially free and my grandmother still asks me about college. I honestly have no idea what goes on in some peoples mind, but the worse thing you can do is try to change their mind. Nobody likes the guy that tries to force help on other people, your time is more valueable than that anyways. Only help those that seek help.

When I first started my business, she told me that I was going to drop out of college and then my business was going to fail. But I never let what anyone said get to me. My mother/father could call me a deadbeat retard and I wouldn't be bothered by it. If you don't have that mindset you won't get as far as you could go, in my opinion.

My business itself everyone laughed at as if it was a joke of a business to get into, but in reality I make more money than a lot of them now, and I'm half their age, plus I'm not slaving away and it's building up some decent equity. I don't say that to brag, trust me I still have a long way to go, but just using it to show that you never want to listen to the noise.

For college, I'm a chemical engineer with a gpa of a 3.52. Which is okay, not great, but gpa has nothing to do with how you will be as a businessman. They are two completely different things to compare. Most people use that stuff to show you that don't need to be a genius to be financially free.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
My wife,s family (especially mom) completely talked down to me about my "online business" the last couple of years. Always making snide comments etc. Last year I had around a million in sales and will do 3-5 million in sales this year. We went to see them a while ago. They were no longer making snide comments about my "little business". They don't know how well I'm doing but they can see the newer cars, newer house etc.

Don't worry about what anyone says worry about where you are going and how to get there.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
In primary school I have two powerful memories both generated by teachers and directed at me in a public way with other students looking on. I'll never forget...

In grade 5 I was dragged up in front of the class and ridiculed (by the teacher) about how bad my project was (admittedly it was a rushed last minute effort but still). He called me an example of how not to be, of what happens when you don't try and how bad a project mine really was. He went into detail page after page (with me standing there) pointing out all the ways it was shit effectively saying "You're worth nothing!". I was so embarrassed. I can remember wanting to cry but somehow kept it in. You don't do things like that to a kid. I was 10 and I honestly believed (and therefore acted like) I was a dunce so needless to say I didn't try hard on anything after that until...

My second big confidence related memory was in Grade 7 at the same school. This time I'd been misbehaving and was sent out of the room and told to sit in the bike shed (it was raining and cold - I remember that vividly) and finish my essay which was free-form - we could write about anything we wanted. So I wrote a story about a new kid with a limp who everyone made fun of but he had some great comebacks and ended up being popular because of his funny personality - the end.

So I'm eventually called back into the class and asked for my essay which I handed to her as I walked past her desk. She had a quick read, I saw her look up from it to look at me and then she kept reading and the class got quiet for a few moments while she did so. Eventually she looked up (but not directly at me) and said "Bill Surname...up to the front of the class please. Right now!" I thought "great, here we go again" and prepared myself to feel like an idiot again.

She read my essay out to the class in it's entirety and by the end she was in tears (I kid you not). "Now Bill. Why can't you do work like this all the time. This is one of the best and most beautiful essays I've ever read (she was old - hair bun...the works). Please, please try harder. I want to see more work like this.

The boost in confidence that gave me made up for the previous experience and for the first time in my life I started to wonder if maybe I could do good work and perhaps - just maybe - I wasn't as dumb as I'd been made to feel back in grade 5. I've since gone on to write a book that's affected and influenced thousands of people and I'd be lying if I said my grade 7 teachers words remain clear in my head while I was writing.

So, the obvious lesson with my experience is "people are mean, they say hurtful things but you can chose who and what you listen and pay attention to". I learned this the hard way when I was a kid and I think it's helped me as an adult. What helps me now when I come across stupidity greater than my own is I laugh at them and treat THEM as worthless background noise buzzing my ear.

We are all better than we think or thought. We have skills in us that could blow our minds and change worlds. This forum and others like it are here to be "the good teacher" and I'm grateful they are.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Never. I've chosen not to surround myself with those types of people. By the time someone gets comfortable enough to imply they don't believe in you, they've probably already spent months/years prior to that tearing you down in more subtle ways.

It's your choice to allow it or to remove those types of people from your life.

It's not as easy as it sounds. My parents just have slowlane mindsets because they've been taught that way and the society pressures them to do so. I don't blame them. If not MJ's book, I'd probably be the same. It's not a reason to cut contact with them.

downpaymentblues

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 25, 2016
Germany
It's not as easy as it sounds. My parents just have slowlane mindsets because they've been taught that way and the society pressures them to do so. I don't blame them. If not MJ's book, I'd probably be the same. It's not a reason to cut contact with them.
I have to agree you. Of course there's a difference between people not beliefing you and trash talking you. Trash talkers are not my friends, but I'd also never ditch a good friend because of his beliefs about slowlane/fastlane. My enduring friendships were built on a summer days at lakes, musical adventures and weekends full of parties. They are not based upon economical or political beliefs and even though they are skeptical about self-employment, I am glad I have these good friends for talking.

I learnt the same thing limitless_c already stressed: I am not talking about business, unless someone initiates this topic. This way I force myself to actually work and not only dream about something loudly.

nichiseven

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 1, 2016

I was sort-of in the same boat. Both my parents are wonderful people, but neither of them are interested in Fastlane. It has nothing to do with them being have-nots. Both of them treasure results gained through what they perceive as traditional 'honest' means (aka a tonne of elbow grease) and eschew anything that speeds up the process. My mother simply has no care nor want for money as all the things she wants can't be bought. My father is a little trickier: He believes that money and pursuit of money can lead to greed and that one flaw above most others he despises the most.

TL;DR My parents taught me to love people, disdain money. Took me a while to balance that out in my head.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015

Forget influencing people. What are you doing? You're giving away your time for free trying to tell people how to live their lives. If you aren't rich, you should never give advice about getting rich. And you should never offer unsolicited advice anyway. Let them ask, and if they deserve to hear it, tell them.

Focus on your own life. Forget everybody around you. Think about this for a second....one day you'll be dead. Yes, you'll be dead and gone and none of any of this will matter anymore. So how much do the opinions or feelings or even the actions of others really matter to you? Why do you care that your buddy Jimmy is content to play video games and smoke weed all day? Forget Jimmy. Go get your fortune. Bothering people with advice isn't cool anyway. Inviting somebody for dinner at your mansion and feeding them lobster and pouring them a glass of expensive cognac is cool. Giving them a list of books to go read when they ask your advice is cool. If nobody is asking for your advice right now, it's because you haven't proved yourself worthy of giving advice. You're suffering from a Paradox of Practice. Go practice.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Lol you know what? Read "How To Get Rich" by Felix Dennis. That's the one you ought to read right now.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Forget influencing people. What are you doing? You're giving away your time for free trying to tell people how to live their lives. If you aren't rich, you should never give advice about getting rich. And you should never offer unsolicited advice anyway. Let them ask, and if they deserve to hear it, tell them.

Focus on your own life. Forget everybody around you. Think about this for a second....one day you'll be dead. Yes, you'll be dead and gone and none of any of this will matter anymore. So how much do the opinions or feelings or even the actions of others really matter to you? Why do you care that your buddy Jimmy is content to play video games and smoke weed all day? Forget Jimmy. Go get your fortune. Bothering people with advice isn't cool anyway. Inviting somebody for dinner at your mansion and feeding them lobster and pouring them a glass of expensive cognac is cool. Giving them a list of books to go read when they ask your advice is cool. If nobody is asking for your advice right now, it's because you haven't proved yourself worthy of giving advice. You're suffering from a Paradox of Practice. Go practice.
Great advice. Although I don't quite agree with everything you said, I can see the point. Thank you :)

Lol you know what? Read "How To Get Rich" by Felix Dennis. That's the one you ought to read right now.
Will for sure add to my "MUST READ" list :)

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

1) Everybody is consuming their own bullshit which shows in their current results. And most people will try to "install" some of their bullshit onto you too. It's human nature.

2) The person who is most guilty for their lack of success, will most eagerly give you (guilt based) "advice".
It's like sending you unsolicited spam.
Uninvited advice is a form of self-release people use very often with friends or close relatives because they know they can get away with it.
If they have nothing positive or encouraging to say, discard their opinion.
Opinions don't matter, only facts.
Good-intended constructive advice based on facts or own experience, yes.
Is he or she following their own advice or just throwing it to you?

3) If you have been exposed to this kind of negative environment for a long time, your mind may try to annoy you and find thousands of reasons why you should believe that and why what they says makes sense. It's total bullshit. The main job of the mind is to create thoughts and thought-patterns. It's important to recognize and distinguish what you think (intuition) vs. what your mind tells you.
The mind runs thought patterns, in a loop and will tell you gibberish.
Your mind is not your boss.
Your mind is not your enemy either.
It is your little friend.

Your little friend: -you can't do that thing because you will fail and look terrible...
You: -ok, I know you are concerned, but I know better so let's try and see. Together we can do it. If I don't succeed this time, I still learn.

4) Never try twice to convince somebody unless they are open to it or have expressed interest.

----------
Use what makes sense to you here.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I am trying every possible way to influence as many people as I can,
Why?

This victim mentality will hold you back from achieving what you want. This is something that every successful person has heard many times. The issue here is not that you are being told, it is that you let other people hold you back. Don't allow it to have any affect at all on you.

No. I dropped out of school in 10th grade. The person that I used as an early role model only had an 8th grade education.

It seems that you should be caring about yourself more. What others do and think are up to them.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
I've been through a huge transformation and it didn't even take that long. I really want my close friends / girlfriend to experience what I have recently. Most of them (including me before my brother introdouced TMF to me) just didn't know that there's an alternative to 9-7 work for 40 years straight. My classmates think that most millionaires inherited their wealth. I just imagine them as myself from 6 months ago. I was lost, looking for the right path and I would be very thankful if someone had pointed me the right way to live the life of my dreams.

When I imagine any close friend of mine in like 10 years, I can see the moment when he just realised how much he has been wasting time time his whole life and I didn't do anything to help him when I know I could... It's really tough to even think about. Maybe I'm just a weird person, but this is the way I feel.

I know I might not be the perfect person to teach people how to reach success, because I didn't do it myself as someone mentioned few posts above, but imagine me as a 150kg boy before I started to change. Extremely overweight for the whole life, but after years of struggling I took the effort to lose weight. Right now I'm at 100kg. Yes, I might not have a perfect, muscular physique, but hey, I lost 50kg in a short period of time and I know what it takes to get one.

Not sure if I explained it right, but I hope you understand my point.
This victim mentality will hold you back from achieving what you want. This is something that every successful person has heard many times. The issue here is not that you are being told, it is that you let other people hold you back. Don't allow it to have any affect at all on you.

No. I dropped out of school in 10th grade. The person that I used as an early role model only had an 8th grade education.

It seems that you should be caring about yourself more. What others do and think are up to them.

Regardless of what I mentioned above, your post still lightened a few things. Thank you for taking your time to help me.

Best regards :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I've been through a huge transformation and it didn't even take that long. I really want my close friends / girlfriend to experience what I have recently. Most of them (including me before my brother introdouced TMF to me) just didn't know that there's an alternative to 9-7 work for 40 years straight. My classmates think that most millionaires inherited their wealth. I just imagine them as myself from 6 months ago. I was lost, looking for the right path and I would be very thankful if someone had pointed me the right way to live the life of my dreams.

When I imagine any close friend of mine in like 10 years, I can see the moment when he just realised how much he has been wasting time time his whole life and I didn't do anything to help him when I know I could... It's really tough to even think about. Maybe I'm just a weird person, but this is the way I feel.

I know I might not be the perfect person to teach people how to reach success, because I didn't do it myself as someone mentioned few posts above, but imagine me as a 150kg boy before I started to change. Extremely overweight for the whole life, but after years of struggling I took the effort to lose weight. Right now I'm at 100kg. Yes, I might not have a perfect, muscular physique, but hey, I lost 50kg in a short period of time and I know what it takes to get one.

Not sure if I explained it right, but I hope you understand my point.
To those of us that have been living with success, this is a topic that gets passed by very quickly.

Anyone that cares will come to you. They will be few and far between. Even then, most people that come to you will have an agenda to support their ideas. The will not usually care about your input.

There are few people in the world that think like us. You cannot convince others. They have to convince themselves.

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013

Please do not take this the wrong way but why in the hell are you so focused on what other people say? I sometimes feel that people label themselves based on quotes or statistics - I know I did. I would base everything on it. I don't quite fit this so I can't be successful. I don't understand why I and many others do/did this? Push through it. You know what you want and will learn what you are capable of (trust me it will amaze you).

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
To those of us that have been living with success, this is a topic that gets passed by very quickly.

Anyone that cares will come to you. They will be few and far between. Even then, most people that come to you will have an agenda to support their ideas. The will not usually care about your input.

There are few people in the world that think like us. You cannot convince others. They have to convince themselves.
I guess you might be right. I will try to apply these lessons to my life. Thank you :)

Please do not take this the wrong way but why in the hell are you so focused on what other people say? I sometimes feel that people label themselves based on quotes or statistics - I know I did. I would base everything on it. I don't quite fit this so I can't be successful. I don't understand why I and many others do/did this? Push through it. You know what you want and will learn what you are capable of (trust me it will amaze you).

It was more of a "Is it worth to push harder at school to get better grades or just pass the class and focus on your thing?" question. I could never decide whether to study for a test to get an A or for example read some self-development book instead. If you know the answer, please share it with me :)

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
It was more of a "Is it worth to push harder at school to get better grades or just pass the class and focus on your thing?" question. I could never decide whether to study for a test to get an A or for example read some self-development book instead. If you know the answer, please share it with me :)

If you want to focus on the slowlane than getting a job is more a question about what real world experience you have now than it is the grades you have gotten at school. Why focus on getting excellent grades and spending all of the time and money in these classes if you know that you don't really want to be there. It seems you want more out of life than what a college degree can get you. Don't use school as a hang up (excuse). I think a lot of focus needs to be put on how much worth the degree holds to you. How will it benefit you? Am I wasting time? Could I be using this time and money more effectively? Will the variable real world teach me more than the static cookie cutter design of college courses. These questions are specific to each individual and their goals.

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.
Your little friend: -you can't do that thing because you will fail and look terrible...
You: -ok, I know you are concerned, but I know better so let's try and see. Together we can do it. If I don't succeed this time, I still learn.

GOLD.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I have been told by a millionaire (2-5 mil aprox) that I would never achieve anything, cant care less about what he have to say.
Pro tip: Dont share your ideas and your vision about life until you are successful, sure, you can share it with your girlfriend or with your best friends, but I can guarantee you that 99% of the time the people will laugh at you.

Work in silence until you are successful.

Usually, our parents are the first one to tell us all these bad things. " you won't achieve anything in life blabla "

yes, people will laugh if we say something clever because people don't think at all.

Most people are wired machines programmed to react againt original thought and follow the trend , kind of pavlov's dogs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning

On the contrary , people here are pro active entrepreneurs making things happen.

so who cares what the moron say ?

In case you did not notice, 95 % of people are programmed machines.

Just ask the NSA and watch this :

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
That's a valid point :D

To be honest, that's not my own words.

this is Dan Pena words !

" who cares what the morons say !"

You want to watch everything he produces because he is a great entrepreneur like all these superstars : MJ DeMarco, Eben Pagan etc.

go here :

https://www.youtube.com/user/vanentrepreneurgroup/videos

check the videos of Dan Pena on this channel ( scroll down ).

This is legal material because Dan Pena asked Dan Lok to give away his teaching on youtube for free.

So feel free to learn from this great entrepreneur.

go here too :

https://www.youtube.com/user/GuthrieGroup/videos

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I was told by my dad a lot, my brother too. Anytime I wanted to express my excitement about an idea, they would shoot it down (my dad especially) with "you're wasting your time," "you're an idiot, stupid, etc." But that doesn't affect you in anyway, just shrug it off and find someone who will be just as excited about your businesses as you are. :)

Mind you, both my brother and father are successful business owners.

Just goes to show you, a-holes come in all shapes and sizes, and are sometimes in your own family.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I just feel sorry for them!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015

Holy shit man, that's was a hell of an answer. It almost gave me goosebumps, shit...
The part about do not giving unasked advice was something that I definitely needed to hear today.

And the Paradox of Practice is very real. If you do not apply what you learn you kinda feel an urge to tell other people what you know. Shut your little mouth, my friend and prove yourself. RESULTS > EVERYTHING YOU CAN SAY

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.