The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Your money or your life" getting good press!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think you will see this book make a resurgence in these economic times.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Yeah, except the part about investing in 30 year Treasuries (which were as high as 12% when Dominguez, the author, started on his journey, but are now trading at (gasp) 2.5%!

I still maintain that the book has excellent exercises at learning how to live within, and then BELOW your means.

And as much as the previous phrase might offend, please bear in mind that Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and the Sultan of Brunei ALL live below their means! :)

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
actually a co-worker was reading it this week here at work. Interesting fact.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Yeah, except the part about investing in 30 year Treasuries (which were as high as 12% when Dominguez, the author, started on his journey, but are now trading at (gasp) 2.5%!

I still maintain that the book has excellent exercises at learning how to live within, and then BELOW your means.

And as much as the previous phrase might offend, please bear in mind that Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and the Sultan of Brunei ALL live below their means!!!

-Russ H.

Low yielding investments are not for growth, only for preservation. Meaning you buy those investments when you have made a boat load of money already and want to secure part of it until you have something else to make of it. Or maybe just invest some of your "boat load" of money in such low yielding cashflowing investments, just to get some cash flow from them. Paper is after all less intensive to handle than say RE or owning a business.

Live below your means is a smart advice. If more people would apply it, they would feel less pressured and they would hence make better decisions.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There are still mid-level yielding investments out there ... in fact, Discover Bank has a few for 5% which still preserves the end theory of the book (as well as my book as that also is predicated on making a boatload of cash, and then earn interest on it to retire.) My book uses 5% as the baseline and even in this environment, it is out there. In deflationary times (like now) the rate is decent. If inflation starts, usually the rates follow suit.

Discover Bank BTW is one of the few 5 star banks at Bank Rate ...

The key is ... I didn't get to retire in my 30's by investing in 5% yielding investments. That happened on an entirely different road.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
live below their means! :)

-Russ H.

Amen, a Fastlane concept and it applies no matter what your income level. I don't care if you're generating $100K/year or 100K/month ... LIVE BELOW!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I enjoy what I do. My idea of "retirement" would be working in RE for 6 months of the year, and messing with boats the other 6 months. I don't understand what the rush to get through life is, you only go around once.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
hat-

Have you read YMOYL?

That's exactly what it's about-- getting to the point where you don't HAVE to work for a living-- you do it because you CHOOSE to.

And you have the freedom to NOT work, whenever you choose.

Seems like you're saying the same thing . . .

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
YMOYL had some really good points. I think the best thing I took from it is "Life Energy" and what you really are making at your current job. It gave me a different perspective on things. Unfortunately towards the end of the book it was like gold prospecting. Brief nuggets of insight, but you have to dig through a lot of dirt and pyrite to get there.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
hat-

Have you read YMOYL?

That's exactly what it's about-- getting to the point where you don't HAVE to work for a living-- you do it because you CHOOSE to.

And you have the freedom to NOT work, whenever you choose.

Seems like you're saying the same thing . . .

-Russ H.

I did not, but it looks like I do not because that is what I have intended to do all along!

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
Warren is miserly. Not a way to live.
Now living in sunny wine country in a bed and breakfast . Now thats livin :smxG:

Living below yer means can be no fun ... Unless you increase your means.
I wonder how many $$$ Bill is making per minute these days
Rob

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!